Never been there and I'm never going back!

Karysa

Further as to Egypt ... We were there last December

... the pyramids were AWESOME... the haggling was constant ....

the peddlers were UNBELIEVEABLE - it just never stopped

... it really distracted from the enjoyment of the pyramids.

Haggling and pestering by the peddlers are just the way things are done there.

I just have to add that Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty.

I can't wait to get there...:D

Did you buy anything?

- or was the haggling process just too much to bother with it?

We thought back to our shopping experiences at Sid Bou Said, in Tunis

and still can't believe how much the local nitwit merchants cramp their own sales volumes!

Don't these guys have a local Chamber of Commerce to help them???

They have gorgeous stuff (and they all have the same things too,eh?)

They could be achieving sales volumes anything like 20 x to 80 x their normal sales volumes every day

if they'd just...

* come forward to the 21st. Century

* put a fair markup on their items

* along with a price tag and..

* stop pressuring customers like they're desperate for the sale...

and listen to the old cash register go Ka-CHING! a heckuva lot more, per hour, than they're accustomed to.

And still they sit there every day, wondering what they're doing wrong!

Man I wish I could help y'all, but.....

You're stuck with your ways

and me and my Euros went right back on board da ship. :cool:

TUNIS_OV2-581.jpg

Byyeee!

Just curious... I last visited the Pyramids in '96 and they had a strong urine odor. Do they still smell inside? :(

We didn't go inside the pyramids (the tour guide recommended against it) and I am so glad... because the outside of the pyramids smelt bad enought. If you had the head for it you could have bought souveniors at the pyramids for practically nothing, I unfortunately did not (I really wish I had) because dealing with more peddlers right where the cruise ship docked was just as intimidating and the stuff was at least 2 to 3 times what I would have paid at the pyramids. Oh well, coulda woulda shoulda!

I can't wait to get there...:D

Did you buy anything?

- or was the haggling process just too much to bother with it?

We thought back to our shopping experiences at Sid Bou Said, in Tunis

and still can't believe how much the local nitwit merchants cramp their own sales volumes!

Don't these guys have a local Chamber of Commerce to help them???

They have gorgeous stuff (and they all have the same things too,eh?)

They could be achieving sales volumes anything like 20 x to 80 x their normal sales volumes every day

if they'd just...

* come forward to the 21st. Century

* put a fair markup on their items

* along with a price tag and..

* stop pressuring customers like they're desperate for the sale...

and listen to the old cash register go Ka-CHING! a heckuva lot more, per hour, than they're accustomed to.

And still they sit there every day, wondering what they're doing wrong!

Man I wish I could help y'all, but.....

You're stuck with your ways

and me and my Euros went right back on board da ship. :cool:

TUNIS_OV2-581.jpg

Byyeee!

Why do Westerners constantly think other cultures should CHANGE to meet our culture/standards? Part of the beauty of travel is to see things that are DIFFERENT from what we see in our daily lives.

I spent almost 3 months on business recently in the Middle East/Asia. ALL the countries in that area are the same. They have been for CENTURIES. Why would they try to conform to western styles for the FEW western tourists that visit other than on cruise ship days?

Story to Illustrate: In the Gold Souk in Kuwait City, there was one place that tried "conforming" to what they thought Westerners wanted-price tags, little haggling, super clean store and little intervention from the sales staff. Very much like going to Zale's in the USA. Guess what-the very rich Kuwaitis and other Middle Easterners visiting Kuwait REFUSED to shop there. They were about ready to close the shop.

The entire Western format was the idea of the son who went to school in the UK. Dad told him, either change it back to "normal" or we are closing it down. We can't make any money selling to the few Western tourists that visit Kuwait or the US Military. Kuwaiti's buy $25,000 jewelry pieces. Westerners buy $500.00 souvenir pieces. Whose business would you rather have?????

I'm constantly amazed that people go to a foreign country and then do nothing but complain that it's different :

The haggling process has been part of their culture for 1000 of years. You want them to change because you're there?

There is no local Chamber of Commerce. Get real, that organization is only in America.

Come forward to the 21st. Century - what a statement. That's the whole point of traveling, to see something different.

Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty - well duh, they never get any rain, water is a very precious resource, not to the mention that the country is a DESERT. What do you expect??!!

I hear the locals are a right P.I.T.A. while they pressure you to buy buy, tip,buy, tip... - Ever heard of the word NO. It works great

Never been and never want to go. This is a strange concept of the uninformed and culturally inept. Hopefully these type of tourists are a minority and can keep their red necked opinion in their own back yards. The world is growing smaller every day and this intolerance will someday be overcome.

Why do Westerners constantly think other cultures should CHANGE to meet our culture/standards? Part of the beauty of travel is to see things that are DIFFERENT from what we see in our daily lives.

I spent almost 3 months on business recently in the Middle East/Asia. ALL the countries in that area are the same. They have been for CENTURIES. Why would they try to conform to western styles for the FEW western tourists that visit other than on cruise ship days?

Story to Illustrate: In the Gold Souk in Kuwait City, there was one place that tried "conforming" to what they thought Westerners wanted-price tags, little haggling, super clean store and little intervention from the sales staff. Very much like going to Zale's in the USA. Guess what-the very rich Kuwaitis and other Middle Easterners visiting Kuwait REFUSED to shop there. They were about ready to close the shop.

The entire Western format was the idea of the son who went to school in the UK. Dad told him, either change it back to "normal" or we are closing it down. We can't make any money selling to the few Western tourists that visit Kuwait or the US Military. Kuwaiti's buy $25,000 jewelry pieces. Westerners buy $500.00 souvenir pieces. Whose business would you rather have?????

Well said.

The haggling process has been part of their culture for 1000 of years. You want them to change because you're there?

===> I think maybe they should change to better their economy! -to make actual sales!

There is no local Chamber of Commerce. Get real, that organization is only in America. ===> Really?!

Come forward to the 21st. Century - what a statement.

That's the whole point of traveling, to see something different. ===> We enjoyed the difference immensely!

Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty - well duh, they never get any rain, water is a very precious resource,

not to the mention that the country is a DESERT.

What do you expect??!! ===>Basic public health? :confused:

I hear the locals are a right P.I.T.A. while they pressure you to buy buy, tip,buy, tip... -

Ever heard of the word NO. It works great ===> It doesn't work!

and besides...I love spending my whole day repeating No no no no no -great fun.:cool:

Here in Barbados we call it visitor harrassment and we do quite a bit to see it doesn't happen.

We thought they wanted to sell their stuff but they don't really.

They want to rip you off.

They're still doing the ole Desert Crook thing, two thousand years too late! :D

Example:

My wife merely commented on the beauty of a bowl.

Commented.

Immediately it was being thrust upon her(desperation?) for 50 Euros.

She got so pissed off with the ensuing pressure, she walked out of their shop!

Now that's really good for customer relations, isn't it?

He came down the street behind her with the bowl in hand!!!

Suddenly the real value of the bowl had dropped from 50 Euros

-to an astonishingly low 15 FIFTEEN Euros. :confused: :confused:

So what was the first price all about? Price gouging? ...seeing if my wife was idiot enough to go for that?

This happens with every single thing one tries to buy!

It gets tiresome, so you stop even looking.. you move on.

You say forget it. Major culture clash. Not worth it. Keep your stuff!

I love Tunis. Found it interesting!

Want to go back.

Just don't try buying anything there!

When I mentioned a Chamber of Commerce

(incidentally, we have a Chamber of Commerce here in non-USA Barbados)

I meant some sort of commercial organisation to help them understand how modern commerce takes place.

Please don't take me SOOOO literally. They need help.

Help improving their economic lot.

Help in turning over their items far more rapidly.

My house and the houses of most every Westerner is already full of 'stuff'.

We'd buy a little something to take home, but it's nothing we really need. It's not water or food.

It's just decorating stuff.

We have the money they want, they have stuff that's entirely optional to sustain our life and quality of lifestyle back home.

Like I said, we went back on board with most of our money

and they sat there waiting for tomorrow's small pickings, just like today's small pickings!...

...maybe writing 5 or 6 bills total, for the day....instead of forty of fifty!

They've all got the same stuff, prices should be way cheaper in competition with ea.other..

..but that concept is entirely unknown, it would seem?

It's 'argie-bargie' for every ruddy sale! :eek:

Sounds to me like you don't want to help them improve their lot.

You want to keep them backward and stuck in their past.

Evolution is their ..and our.. only way forward.

come back?

Just don't try to buy anything there!

TUNIS-563.jpg

Charming place!

TUNIS-233.jpg

Great architecture!

Nice clean, well-kept neighbourhoods, despite being in a waterless North African desert!

TUNIS-236.jpg

I was -and still am- impressed!

So glad we didn't stay on board the ship!

TUNIS-247.jpg

This is the corner shop my wife fled from -only to be chased by an overpriced bowl! :D

I was so taken by the ceramic tiling on the columns of the local gas station I took a picture of it.

TUNISgasSta-567.jpg

Does this sound like someone who expected to find Albany, NY ??

Edited by aplmac

It's pointless to argue with someone who cannot, or will not, understand that people do things differently in different places. Bargaining is part of the fun. NO ONE expects you to pay what the initial offer is, and such offers are made to tourists and locals alike. The fun is in the haggling. You talk. You consider. You walk away. You come back and haggle some more. You have tea and discuss your children. You agree on a price and part the best of friends.

What is so uncivilized about that? :confused:

It's pointless to argue with someone who cannot, or will not, understand that people do things differently in different places. Bargaining is part of the fun. NO ONE expects you to pay what the initial offer is, and such offers are made to tourists and locals alike. The fun is in the haggling. You talk. You consider. You walk away. You come back and haggle some more. You have tea and discuss your children. You agree on a price and part the best of friends.

I agree. If everything was identical everywhere, why leave home? We have enough Wal-Marts here. We don't need them in every port around the world.

I was referring to the staff on the Nile Cruise boats who, I'm told,

pressure you to spend your money on silly robes for formal night,

and ceaselessly for tips.

Not street beggars...they're enough of them!

Still not going.

I can do without the whole 'slamic extremist thing

and a vanload of AK47-toting desperado's driving up to spray us.

So kind of them.

Yes I know that doesn't happen but once in every 10-20 yrs.

but it's never going to happen to me. :D :D

Frankly I intend to avoid that whole part of the crescent moon and star part of the world,

until the whole silly religious war settles down

- and that's not happening before I drop off the perch! ;)

I'm simply not that curious or adventurous.

I had a wonderful time on our Nile cruise. Over and above all the sights, I found the people lovely. My memory of leading a Conga line through the dining room on my birthday (started off by our fantastic waiter who was tipped off to my birthday by our even more fantastic guide) will never dim.

So the people on board want you to buy an Egyptian robe for a few bucks. Is that any worse than having cruise lines constantly hawking their photos/spa specials/art auctions/store specials?

I did find the extreme poverty of many people we saw to be heartbreaking, but certainly it wouldn't keep me from going back again.

Edited by cruisemom42

Agreed -I certainly Understand that things are done differently throughout the world. Your idea of fun is haggling, my idea of fun is trying to enjoy one of the few remaining wonders of the ancient world (pyramids) without some overly aggressive salesman (because that's what they are) pestering me constantly. More business could be conducted if they would just back off a little. We were respectful to the Egyptians and politely declined when we were not interested in what they were selling. You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and I would thank you to be as tolerant to your fellow posters as you are to your friends in other countries

I'm constantly amazed that people go to a foreign country and then do nothing but complain that it's different :

There is no local Chamber of Commerce. Get real, that organization is only in America.

Come forward to the 21st. Century - what a statement. That's the whole point of traveling, to see something different.

Egypt is dirty, very, very dirty - well duh, they never get any rain, water is a very precious resource, not to the mention that the country is a DESERT. What do you expect??!!

I hear the locals are a right P.I.T.A. while they pressure you to buy buy, tip,buy, tip... - Ever heard of the word NO. It works great

Never been and never want to go. This is a strange concept of the uninformed and culturally inept. Hopefully these type of tourists are a minority and can keep their red necked opinion in their own back yards. The world is growing smaller every day and this intolerance will someday be overcome.

Excuse me but Egypt is very very dirty - not because they are in a desert but because the government offers very little in the way of helping keep the cities clean. Alexandria is filthy - I am surprised that more people aren't sick. When I was there is was during the Haj(sp?) They were slaughtering animals right in the streets - from the tour bus my husband looks out the window into a dumpster and a cow's head is looking back at him. I know that is part of their cultrue.... but blood running in the gutters doesn't really scream hygenic to me. So excuse me for not being as enlightened as you. I strongly believe that if they want tourists to spend money there - CLEAN UP THE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS.

Agreed -I certainly Understand that things are done differently throughout the world. Your idea of fun is haggling, my idea of fun is trying to enjoy one of the few remaining wonders of the ancient world (pyramids) without some overly aggressive salesman (because that's what they are) pestering me constantly. More business could be conducted if they would just back off a little. We were respectful to the Egyptians and politely declined when we were not interested in what they were selling. You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and I would thank you to be as tolerant to your fellow posters as you are to your friends in other countries

It's kind of amusing. I have read ancient Roman texts where the Romans (who would send their sons on Grand Tours much like those of the Victorian age did) also complained of vendors at these ancient sites. They are certainly not going to change what has been a way of life for time out of mind for the convenience of some tourists. Methinks they sell plenty when I see the bulging bags some people bring back to the ship at the end of the day. ;)

Please, don't take anything I've said personally. Everyone has their own opinion, and my comments weren't directed at you but rather to another poster who was, by anyone's opinion, rather "over the top" with his or her comments.

Personally, I find it boggling that the pyramids, which were considered "ancient" in the days of the Romans, are still with us at all. And I will appreciate them whatever state I find them in. The world is a wild, unpredictable, sometimes uncivilized (by Western standards) and even unhygienic place. I appreciate all of it that I've seen so far and I hope to see as much of it as possible before I am too old to travel.

Personally, I find it boggling that the pyramids, which were considered "ancient" in the days of the Romans, are still with us at all. And I will appreciate them whatever state I find them in. The world is a wild, unpredictable, sometimes uncivilized (by Western standards) and even unhygienic place. I appreciate all of it that I've seen so far and I hope to see as much of it as possible before I am too old to travel.

Amen - nuf said!:) Many happy cruising adventrues to you;)

our first cruise many years ago was to Cozumel. At the time, we had never heard of it. My DH was telling a friend about our upcoming trip, and he accidentally said we were sailing to Kosovo! They found that a little odd, and I still tease hime about it

• 1 month later...
Is there a Port, Country or Region that you have absolutely no desire to visit on a cruise or do you want to see it all?

Karysa

belize. 3rd world. i have heard so many bad things about it i wonder why the cruiselines still stop there. i would stay on the ship if i had a port stop there. and easy way to save money on a tour and have the pool almost too myself. :D

I don't think I should ever say never again!! I've been saying for years that I would never go on a cruise... and here we are booked for our first one... and it was MY idea. hehehe. ya, ya... I'm eatin' crow, lol... but whatever. I've always wanted to see the Lesser Antilles islands, so now we will.

That said, I've never had any interest in the middle east, and probably never will.

I never figured I'd set foot in China, but I did a flight through Hong Kong with a long enough layover to be pleasantly surprised.

Only done land based trips so far ...other than liveaboard diving. Australia is an amazing country, but yes, better to see land based and with LOTS of time.

Grand Cayman was a total let down (there for DH's job for awhile). Wouldn't say I'd never go back, but it was more developed and touristy than I expected and the diving wasn't all that. Turks & Caicos was soooo much better in every way (Provo - haven't been to Grand Turk). Hawaii... been there done that. Maui was ok. Oahu not so much. I don't like over developed locations that feel like America with palm trees.

DH would love to do Antartica.... ummm... too cold. No thanks! LOL

Not interested in an Alaska cruise. I know it's warm up North in the summer, and it is beautiful up there (family in the Yukon) but prefer warm clear water for diving and sandy beaches... oh... and bugs up North are crazy big and bad!

I absolutely love Jamaica. Got engaged there first trip and married there second trip. Not the horrible place it's made out to be, IMO. We found the people to be very friendly. Unlike Mexico. In total opposition, I'm not a fan of Mexico and pushy vendors. Been twice to Puerto Vallarta, and considered the Mayan but... no thanks, for too many reasons to list. If we were on a ship that stopped in Cozumel we'd dive though. In fact, same for Roatan. Love Cuba (hey, I am Canadian), but of course that is for land based trips. Costa Rica was an experience, but deserves more time than one has on a cruise.

Still on the list after the Southern Caribbean... South Pacific... maybe even a cruise as opposed to land based... Europe?... Med. cruise maybe? We shall see after this one :)........

Edited by sunseeker09

I would probably cruise anywhere right now. But I don't think I could do a transatlantic or repo cruise. I like being able to get off the boat, even if I don't do excursions. I just like to stop somewhere every day or two to get my legs back. But I don't really care where it is as long as I'm on vacation!

I hate to say it because I'm sure I'll get flamed...But I have no intentions on ever going to Alaska...or anywhere else on vacation where the temp is below 80 degrees.

You're not going to get flamed from me. I feel the same way. I wouldn't ever choose to go somewhere that is colder than where I am.

Having said that, sister has always really wanted to go to Alaska and since we always do what I want to do, I guess I'll end up on an Alaska cruise within the next couple of years. But I'll just enjoy it as a cruise to nowhere and enjoy to views through the windows on the Promenade.

I would probably cruise anywhere right now. But I don't think I could do a transatlantic or repo cruise. I like being able to get off the boat, even if I don't do excursions. I just like to stop somewhere every day or two to get my legs back. But I don't really care where it is as long as I'm on vacation!

We are doing b2b transatlantic on the Tahitian Princess is about 2 weeks. Never more than two sea days in a row. Lots of ports.

belize. 3rd world. i have heard so many bad things about it i wonder why the cruiselines still stop there. i would stay on the ship if i had a port stop there. and easy way to save money on a tour and have the pool almost too myself. :D

Someone lied to you. Belize is most certainly not a "3rd world" country. That phrase seems to get used to describe anywhere that poor people are in evidence.

Belize is a modern country in every way and is quite beautiful with warm, welcoming people. Shame you'll never find that out.