2010 - is Eclipse on target?

sailorgirl

The way they build the ships these days minimizes the time it takes to put her together.

Keep in mind Solstice floated out I believe it September/October. And Equinox is due to float out in June.

They do so much of the build these days elsewhere, it really cuts down on the time. They build the ship in blocks and put it together at the dock. Cabins are put together and plugged into the opening once the ship is together.

In other words, when they started putting together the Equinox, they were already building Eclipse at other plants. Once Equinox was together, but still in dock receiving finishing touches, the blocks for Eclipse started to show.

Just looking back as Solstice, they laid the first blocks while Solstice was still in the building

Yes and yes.

20090519_b.jpg

The brown blocks to the left of Equinox is the Eclipse. So as soon as Equinox pulls out, they'll start building her.

Thanks for posting the info/pictures. We are on Equinox 31 July, and Eclipse 24 July 2010. ;)

Yes and yes.

20090519_b.jpg

The brown blocks to the left of Equinox is the Eclipse. So as soon as Equinox pulls out, they'll start building her.

If you look foward of the bridge (upper left in the picture) you will see a large section of the Eclipse. It is already taking shape. The Germans have this down to a science.

If you look foward of the bridge (upper left in the picture) you will see a large section of the Eclipse. It is already taking shape. The Germans have this down to a science.
Funny thing, as I was reading Texed's post and seeing the picture again. I noticed that. Saved a picture and zoomed on it.

I was getting ready to post that info only to scroll down and see you post.

Funny thing, as I was reading Texed's post and seeing the picture again. I noticed that. Saved a picture and zoomed on it.

I was getting ready to post that info only to scroll down and see you post.

I recognize your name from the roll call for the October Connie repo. DW and I are booked on that this year. Can't wait.

Someday I would love to watch one of these ships get built from the keel up.

Yes and yes.

20090519_b.jpg

I posted the same thing a couple of months ago and was told by someone who lives near the shipyard that it is not the eclipse being built next to Equinox. The poster stated that there is basically a new addition to the facility and Eclipse is in fact being built in that area which is approximately in front of the Equinox. I will try and find the post.

Found it, post #7 on this thread in Disney Board. Also, guy lives in AZ not near the shipyard, my mistake.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=939356&highlight=

I have a hard time believing those parts on not Eclispe.

If they are going to build both Disney ship in that dock at the same time and they have already started building Eclipse in front of Equinox, then they couldn't start building the Disney ships until next April. On top of that, the 1st Disney ship isn't due until spring 2011 and the 2nd spring 2012, so they aren't likely to start building the ships until late winter 2010. I doubt the parts will start showing up nearly a year before they start building the ship.

In addition to that, according to this press release, http://redaktion.meyer-neptun.de/exfiles/8/dcl%20steel%20cutting_press%20release_final.pdf, they just started steel cutting. There is no way they could have that much ship built a month and a half later. It was about 8 months between when steel cutting began for Solstice and the first parts arrived a MeyerWerft

Post number 7 that you reference, was March 3 a day after steel cutting began.

I doubt those or the Disney parts at this time. More than likely Eclispe parts.

I doubt the poster on that thread has correct info. It just doesn't make sense when you look at the whole picture.

The Disney ships could be built there, but likely after Eclipse is completed

Looking further into pictures and dates, my guess is they will build S class #4 in the same building as the Disney Dream, likely at the same time. Good angle of the drydock where they work

Kiellegung%20S%20677_MG_web.jpg

Since the Disney is due for completion first, they can build it where Equinox is currently and #4 where Eclipse is. They can sail out the Dream then a couple months later, #4

I don't know Rick, my guess is that they are parts of Eclipse and not assembled there but in the other new portion of the building. As you said they can't be the parts from the Disney ship.

Who knows what will happen, the rumor is that Disney is not going to allow the web cam on their ships when they are building them.

I don't know Rick, my guess is that they are parts of Eclipse and not assembled there but in the other new portion of the building. As you said they can't be the parts from the Disney ship.

Who knows what will happen, the rumor is that Disney is not going to allow the web cam on their ships when they are building them.

Hi, Don:)so nice to see your smiling face...missed you on here.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic;)

As for the ships...now that all 3 will be in the fleet very soon,

I need to just pick and try one. Funny thing, In Dec 2010 they

have really good prices for both Solstice AND Eclipse to the

Caribbean! They are low even for us solos!

The Eclipse is already being built in front of Equinox. The new part of the building was expanding the drydock and making it a two part dock.

I'm pretty sure that the unnassembled blocks next to Equinox are the remaing parts of Eclipse, and possibly a few small parts of S-Class #4.

Once Eclipse is moved to where Equinox is, construction of #4 will begin in her previous spot. While Eclipse and #4 are under construction, construction of the blocks will be started for #5.

Once #5 is where the Equinox currently is, we will start to see the Disney ship in front of her.

There really isn't a possibility that the blocks would be for another ship (one not in the S-class) since it wouldn't make much sense to have two completely different ships under construction in the same hall (Hall 6, in this case) until #5 is nearing completion and float out.

The fact that the blocks are pretty much nearing completion for Eclipse shows why Meyer is usually ahead of schedule.

• 2 months later...

Well we both just booked Eclipse for the Inaugural sailing to Cork on the 29th April 2010 Balcony looks really nice, we've both been on RC Independence Of The Seas a few times really enjoyed ourselves and due to go again on her in November 09 for my birthday... (grand suite this time) can't wait...

The Eclispse will be a different experience higher quality food and service plus more of a traditional cruise experience... something to look forward to...

Mark

Wow!!

It will be fun to follow this...I'm booked for July...I always love to be among the first to sail a brand new ship...Of course, with my wife working for a school district, the July 10 sailing is as early as we can go...but it will still be less than 3 months old then...

I think I see my cabin already in place in those last photos!

Archived