Diamond Services

Has everyone settled down with the new Diamond Services offered now? Haven't seen much about it or haven't been looking in the right place.

I sent new letters out last week to all the RCCL people that have anything to do with this type of thing. It was a very pleasant letter...wasn't nasty or anything. But, I did tell them of my disappointment in how they handled it. They should have asked for our help in their issues and we would have been more helpful! instead of so antagonistic in our responses.

Also, made some suggestions (like they will listen!) about how it should be structured (only from my point of view.)

Just wondered if people were still contacting them or not? Or has it all now been swept under the rug and forgotten?

Lou

We are not contacting them anymore on this matter. For RCI, it is one of those actions that cannot be undone and the consequences will be what they will be for them. Most people in my crusing circle are less loyal to RCI now and have begun booking on other cruise lines (and enjoying them a lot) that WOULD have booked these same cruises on RCI.

I have little visibility to the (what I consider a loyalty program) debacle has and will do to the company's bottom financial line. The people that are voting with their feet by planting them on other cruise line ships might be offset by the money they have saved and the new cruisers they are attracting from their marketing campaigns.

We will still continue to cruise on RCI, but less often and will be far more open to competing vacation alternatives than we were before they started tinkering with loyalty benefits.

Nobody can have settled down into the "new" Diamond Services as they have not come into effect as yet, they start on Sept 1st. sure most people will agree that they handled it wrong, even Adam Goldstein has admitted that they under estimated the response, and that is why revisions were made to the initial annoucements.

I fail to understand what people are now concerned about, before the review nobody was moaning about the introduction of the Diamond Club on the newer ships, more about the lack of any concierge facility on older ships. So why now that a Diamond Lounge service is to be offered on all ships, as well as concierge style assistance and a breakfast lounge is this matter still ongoing. Okay so the drinks offering is now only Champagne and wine, but does life really evolve around a shot or two of Rum etc, if so some peoples holiday would be better spent in The Priory (a stress/alcohol or drug abuse clinic) rather than on a cruise ship.

BUT then again that is a new idea for Royal to consider, we all know people that should cruise on "The Priory of the Seas" .

I thought it was interesting on the Radiance class ship is where it seemed to be an issue. And then they found room for the Diamonds....and they will have their breakfast. I know it doesn't officially start until September but everyone's minds are getting "wrapped" around the idea. I think though that as time goes on that as long as any cruise line knows that it has customers and not cattle for clients they will be better off. Truly I understand cost savings....always wondered why unlimited liquor for example instead of say 2 a night?? or xxx amount the cruise. The seapass card can be programmed for that. As well as some other areas/ideas out there.

Life does go on....I think the biggest issue was not what...but the giving of benefits and taking them away is what got people riled up. Just like a kid getting a gold star in school....earn the gold star and then take it away.

Lou

At this point I'm pretty much over it. While I'm dissapointed that certain things won't be the same, it's not a complete deal breaker for us. We have two cruises booked with RCI that will be post Diamond changes and we'll see how that goes. While in enjoyed the CL after making Diamond, it was more for the social aspect than getting free drinks. I'll have to wait and see how this new Diamond happy hour with beer and wine goes before passing any judgement on the effect it has on my experience. I'll also have to see how it goes without having the conceirge to help with tender tickets, specialty restaurant reservations and ice show tickets on our Voyager and Oasis cruises. I know they said they'd have something set up to provide this service. I'll just have to see how this new way of doing things works for us.

Many of the services removed we won't really miss. I understand the waste involved if people weren't eating those chocolate's. I understand the vendors not wanting to give away all their profits in coupons (but I'll still miss the free photo). I understand the CL was just to crowded and, if I were a paying suite guest, it would be upsetting to me to be crowded out. I'm just not certain how the changes will affect our cruising experience.

If it has to much of an affect, it will be easier for us to look to other cruise lines. Granted most of the other cruise lines don't offer much in the way of loyalty perks but, if the perks aren't worth the extra money on RCI, then it really comes down to price and overall service while on a cruise. If RCI remains competitive on both, I doubt we'll be to interested in jumping ship.

... The people that are voting with their feet by planting them on other cruise line ships might be offset by the money they have saved and the new cruisers they are attracting from their marketing campaigns.

We will still continue to cruise on RCI, but less often and will be far more open to competing vacation alternatives than we were before they started tinkering with loyalty benefits.

Bottom line, the benefits reduction doesn't affect us much but what the announcement did was break the hypnotic loyalty spell RCCL had on us.

Suddenly we were able to see there are other lines and ships to explore. We don't HAVE to be exclusive to Royal Caribbean.

We are taking two cruises for this year. A cheap one and an expensive one.

The expensive one is NOT on Royal Caribbean.

what kinds of benefits does Celebrity have? have they changed any? my wife has been insisting we build loyalty with RCCL ever since our mariner cruise in 05. in the past i've enjoyed jumping from line to line. i understand the crowding issues in the CL lounge and i have no problem with that, in fact i applaud them. Delta had the same problems with their Crown Rooms and had to restrict entry upsetting many of their platinum medallion members.

I haven't heard that beer will be offered in the lounges--just wine and champagne.

A few of us can't help but wonder if the plan from the "get go" was to take it away and then dribble back "concessions" when the uproar started. It will be interesting to see if the appetizers are as good as they have been or will it just be crackers and cheese, veggie dip.

You can bet when September 1 rolls around, the thread will be up and running by people who hadn't gotten the word. Good entertainment might be lurking by the purser's desk to listen to those people who come down and ask where their concierge key is (lol).

As for me, just made Diamond and got to use it on one cruise. I asked the concierge to do something for me and he blew me off. I went to the lounge twice and wonder what was the big deal. Did enjoy the overflow lounge in the evenings. What I would have tipped out the concierge will cover my drink pre-dinner in the Diamond lounge.

The perk I miss the most is doubling up on OBC. As Diamond I can have money off my balcony cabin but nothing else like stockholder's, booking on board, next cruise letter, or certificate redemption. I would like them to let us have one additional OBC in addition to the balcony discount. My husband is of the ilk to get an inside cabin and use sole perk for OBC rather than let me "upgrade" to a balcony with our only discount. Oh well.

Tucker in Texas

We are Diamond members and have never been able to use the Lounge since we go on the smaller ships, where there is no concierge service. So for us the new rules are great since now All Ships will have a designated Diamond Lounge.

Also we are wine drinkers, and that is free.

We are cruising on Grandeur in Dec. 09 and are really looking forward to it.

We also cruise on other ships, especially Celebrity and Azamara, on these ships our Diamond status converts into Elite status and we get many percs on those lines also.

I think they are still assessing the climate and if anyone has a complaint, they should put it out there. This is the impression I got that last time I spoke with C&A while booking a cruise. I think it will be interesting to see what happens come Sept. 1. I would think most heavy cruisers would have found Cruise Critic by now and be aware of the new structure....but how about those just stepping on the ship expecting things they will not be receiving. I expect there will be another uproar.

We are Diamond members and have never been able to use the Lounge since we go on the smaller ships, where there is no concierge service. So for us the new rules are great since now All Ships will have a designated Diamond Lounge.

Also we are wine drinkers, and that is free.

We are cruising on Grandeur in Dec. 09 and are really looking forward to it.

We also cruise on other ships, especially Celebrity and Azamara, on these ships our Diamond status converts into Elite status and we get many percs on those lines also.

Does anyone know if Celebrity cut back also?

Does anyone know if Celebrity cut back also?

Celebrity's Captain's Club (their version of Crown & Anchor) never really had much in the way of significant perks, so there is not really anything to cut. I love Celebrity, but definitely do not sail with them because of their repeat passenger program.

I haven't heard that beer will be offered in the lounges--just wine and champagne.......

Tucker in Texas

You're proabably correct. Since alcohol wasn't the draw for us, I really didn't pay attention to what they were serving and put it to memory. Maybe I was thinking about Miller High Life beer, the champange of beers. ;) Or have I got that old slogan wrong as well. :)

I think they are still assessing the climate and if anyone has a complaint, they should put it out there. This is the impression I got that last time I spoke with C&A while booking a cruise. I think it will be interesting to see what happens come Sept. 1. I would think most heavy cruisers would have found Cruise Critic by now and be aware of the new structure....but how about those just stepping on the ship expecting things they will not be receiving. I expect there will be another uproar.

I agree with you, come September there will be more complaints.

RCCL are still watching these threads and listening to complaints.

i am only suprised that this thread has not yet been pulled.

IMHO the C&A grades should be changed.

To be based on days at sea and onboard spend

The drinks perk reinstated as every other perk seems to have been lost or downgraded.

Has everyone settled down with the new Diamond Services offered now? Haven't seen much about it or haven't been looking in the right place.

I sent new letters out last week to all the RCCL people that have anything to do with this type of thing. It was a very pleasant letter...wasn't nasty or anything. But, I did tell them of my disappointment in how they handled it. They should have asked for our help in their issues and we would have been more helpful! instead of so antagonistic in our responses.

Also, made some suggestions (like they will listen!) about how it should be structured (only from my point of view.)

Just wondered if people were still contacting them or not? Or has it all now been swept under the rug and forgotten?

Lou

Why would you expect them to structure it around "your suggestions". They have many of thousands of Diamond Members and could you imagine them trying to make everyone happy? You will never be able to do such a thing. I for one think it is great, It is still more then you will get with most of the other Cruise Lines. I am a Diamond Member and very happy with the changes. I think it is totally wrong for people that pay more for suites can't even get into the Concierge Lounge that they have paid for. I don't book suites but see it all the time. So they needed to reduce that benefit for the "High Rollers".

I would not want to be in their shoes with all these people complaining. Most of the people complaining will soon give up and everyone will be happy once again. I would rather them cut some of the benefits instead of increasing everyone's cruise fare by $100 to cover the rising costs of doing business. RCCL is doing what they need to do to make the "major shareholders" happy and to keep afloat in this economy. I think it is time to leave the subject alone and be very happy that we can still afford to go on cruises. That is my thoughts on the subject.

If they would just drop the price of the drinks a little, or offer a drink package or coupon book that you could purchase drinks with and save a few bucks I think a lot of the frequent cruisers would be ok with that. We just made Diamond our last cruise,we cruise again in Aug on Monarch No Concierge Lounge, So offer some type of package for mixed drinks not just Wine. We dont drink wine and I know a lot of others that do not either.

Remember that was the original reason. Well with the new policy I'm sure the Diamond Lounge will still be held in the Hollywood Odyssey on the Serenade of the Seas. - Same place as before - but it's gonna cost you if you don't drink wine or champagne. It was always about the money.

Disappointed in RCL, - their prices are higher than comparable lines even with the diamond balcony discount. I'm just wishing I had started with Princess years ago I would be at the highest level with them without losing benefits.

On our last cruise I asked the loyalty ambassador about potential cross benefits on Celebrity. She claimed they pulled the plug on cross benefits.:confused: Anyone know for sure. We were starting to think about crossing over to try another Celebrity cruise.

Although the benefits have declined, I'll take what they offer, I get zip on Carnival, and a tin button on HAL. Would you believe that some actually walk around wearing their tin Mariner buttons?

You know....I think any and all suggestions are helpful...even at my house....and I still say...I am the "boss" here so what happens is the rule! and that's the way it works folks...their is some boss somewhere.

But, in my professional career, I have always asked my staff and fellow workers for ways to help or change things.....change is good many times...and other times it stinks. I do not profess to have all the ideas.....so like to hear some. Also, I feel that if I suggest some and others suggest the same then it won't fall on deaf ears as the saying goes. And some good changes can happen.

Ideas are ideas or as we say in East Tenneessee (idears!)

I like the idea of the coupon booklet having drink coupons (but more than they have now...which is 1 maybe?)....HOWEVER, you would find people who don't drink giving theirs to someone else to use...that is why a seapass card can be programmed for xxxx amount.

The continental breakfast on the Radiance class will now be somewhere larger....that is a good thing...the CL was a bit small for the number of breakfast eaters. I am wondering where they will have that? Maybe the Tides area??? oh well we will find out in September.

Lou

Just off the Monarch this morning. Many at the Plat/Diamond reception all but attacked the Loyalty Amb. It was "shoot the messenger". Many unhappy cruisers. Main issue was not being able to use more than one benefit.

M

I think it is time to leave the subject alone and be very happy that we can still afford to go on cruises. That is my thoughts on the subject.

If you think it is time to leave the subject alone, why did you post on the subject. Surely you meant to say, "Now that I have had my say, it is time to leave the subject alone" but thank you for you comments anyway.

Well... the coupon books are not worth the printing costs... that would be a great place for them to save money!

We just got off a ship this morning and, again, at the repeaters party were told if we don't like something to let the company know by using the survey forms handed out on the last night of the cruise... or write a letter.

Just off the Monarch this morning. Many at the Plat/Diamond reception all but attacked the Loyalty Amb. It was "shoot the messenger". Many unhappy cruisers. Main issue was not being able to use more than one benefit.

M

That is my main disappointment about the new policies, too. I think they should allow one additional benefit in addition to the balcony discounts for Platinum, etc. I am hoping balcony bookings will be down enough from people like me not booking them and going to an oceanview or inside to take another benefit, they will relent.

Tucker in Texas

On our last cruise I asked the loyalty ambassador about potential cross benefits on Celebrity. She claimed they pulled the plug on cross benefits.:confused: Anyone know for sure. We were starting to think about crossing over to try another Celebrity cruise.

Although the benefits have declined, I'll take what they offer, I get zip on Carnival, and a tin button on HAL. Would you believe that some actually walk around wearing their tin Mariner buttons?

I, too, wonder if this is true. One of the problems in the overcrowding in the lounge were people coming over from Celebrity for a perk that is not available on that line. Other problems are making it so easy to become Diamond--five 3-day cruises in a suite and you have it. Same with Celebrity, they count cruises not days. Then the problem of not monitoring the door to make sure those coming into the lounge are eligible bought in a lot that weren't eligible. Admittedly, I fell in this category before achieving Diamond because I was traveling with a single gentleman in a different cabin than myself who was Diamond. Only once were we questioned entering and he flashed his card and no more questions were asked.

I have only been on Celebrity twice but immediately after becoming Diamond my Captain's Club status was listed as Elite. The last time I was on Celebrity I was in the concierge class and it took me three days to get a bar of soap and begging to get a second bath towel. I was not impressed.

Tucker in Texas

Are the "new" coupon books out yet or are those also rolling out September 1? I hear the free drink is gone and I hear Johnny Rockets has been replaced by a buy one milkshake get one free. I see a lot of empty tables in their future......I understand some cutbacks may be necessary but it's overkill. I also think we should still be able to combine the shareholder discount with other discounts. After all, if it weren't for the shareholders, they wouldn't have been able to build all these behemoths.

Finally, as someone who has cruised Celebrity and RCCL exclusively, while the reciprocal status is nice to have, I don't think anyone who does their research is going to switch lines because of the benefits - the two lines are distinctly different in presentation and becoming even more so.

Archived