New Itineraries or the same boring ports

Hello all! I am getting tired of all of the same itineraries being offered by most of the cruise lines. There are other ports in Puerto Rico besides San Juan. There are several ports in Jamaica, and on and on. I would like to know why it is always St. Thomas, St. Maarten. I am so not excited by those ports anymore. What about the other islands in the Caymans? Or land in Marigot on St. Martin instead of Philipsburg on St. Maarten? What tbout Playa del Carmen instead of Costa Maya? Or other Mexican ports like Vera Cruz, or some other places in Central America? Who do we have to tell that we want better and more interesting ports?

I would love to travel on Oasis or Allure...but....those ports??? BORING!!

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Jeff :(

I agree with you Jeff - we do love St. Martin but it would be nice to mix up the ports once in a while - we love Aruba too - we are looking forward to the Liberty on November 15 - we haven't been to Belize or Costa Maya so we are excited about that - we also hit Cozumel which I really like for the shopping - but like you say its usually St. Martin, St. Thomas and a beach day at Labadee or Coco Cay - hopefully they read these posts and maybe if enough people complain they'll make some changes. Sometimes I wish they would just have sailing days, we do enjoy the ships. We are going on the Oasis, but like you say - same ports - but the ship will keep us busy I'm sure:)

Yup! I pick the itinerary first, and then the ship. I want to go somewhere, and then I search around RCCL and Celebrity to see what they offer.

In the last 11 years we've been to the Western Caribbean 3 times; Eastern and Southern Caribbean 5 times, but from different home ports, one after a Transatlantic, and one a repositioning from Boston, so the islands were mixed up a little; Panama Canal and Mexico; Mexico twice; Hawaii once; Europe 3 times; Bahamas twice.

You gotta mix it up a little, so it's not the exact same itinerary even though you may be going to mostly the same ports. Also, don't do the same itinerary in sequence.

I'm so tired of the Western Caribbean- Cozumel, Grand Cayman. At this point, if I ever go there again, I'm staying on the ship. We usually cruise for the ship, the ports are an added plus, but I agree I'm getting sick of the same old, same old. Carnival has some great iteneraries, but I don't want to sail on their ships again.

Royal has been doing that same Labadee, Ocho Rios, GC, Cozumel itenerary since before I started cruising. I love their ships, but the iteneraries out of Florida are getting worn out. But, from their point of view, they're probably thinking its selling so why change it?

I'm so tired of the Western Caribbean- Cozumel, Grand Cayman. At this point, if I ever go there again, I'm staying on the ship. We usually cruise for the ship, the ports are an added plus, but I agree I'm getting sick of the same old, same old. Carnival has some great iteneraries, but I don't want to sail on their ships again.

Royal has been doing that same Labadee, Ocho Rios, GC, Cozumel itenerary since before I started cruising. I love their ships, but the iteneraries out of Florida are getting worn out. But, from their point of view, they're probably thinking its selling so why change it?

I agree about the Western Caribbean: we call it the Mexiribbean. However, I love the Eastern and Southern islands and like to go back every few years.

Hello all! I am getting tired of all of the same itineraries being offered by most of the cruise lines. There are other ports in Puerto Rico besides San Juan. There are several ports in Jamaica, and on and on. I would like to know why it is always St. Thomas, St. Maarten. I am so not excited by those ports anymore. What about the other islands in the Caymans? Or land in Marigot on St. Martin instead of Philipsburg on St. Maarten? What tbout Playa del Carmen instead of Costa Maya? Or other Mexican ports like Vera Cruz, or some other places in Central America? Who do we have to tell that we want better and more interesting ports?

I would love to travel on Oasis or Allure...but....those ports??? BORING!!

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Jeff :(

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP talks about wanting to do the Oasis or Allure and yet is bored with the same ports. He - and some of the other posters on this thread - dont seem to realize that the bigger the ships are built, the fewer ports are available to them. Marigot - charming, sure but the cruise lines and the govt have put their $$$ into pier facilities at Phillipsburg. St John(USVI) has no docking facilities for large ships. The only other possible port for Puerto Rico is Ponce on the south coast - again, limited docking facilities. Gran Cayman - no docking Jamaica is building a new port to accomodate the new giants of the sea, but in a matter of years it will be indistinguishable from Ocho Rios or Montego Bay and cruise ships no longer go to Kingston, the capital because of rampant crime and drug abuse. So if you are bored now, the future in the Caribbean looks even more bleak and boring as the size of new ships limits severly where they can go.:(

I agree that I would love some new ports! Yes....I do love the giant ships and we generally go for Voyager Class or the new ones. (I no longer get off in a number of ports but take advantage of having the ship to myself.)

I realize there are issues docking in new ports, but would love to see the cruiselines begin negotiating to get facilities built. The revenue generated by each ship could completely turn around the economy in many areas.

I agree about the Western Caribbean: we call it the Mexiribbean. However, I love the Eastern and Southern islands and like to go back every few years.

I agree, I could go back to St. Thomas every cruise and be perfectly happy. We go on land vacations to St. Thomas every other New Years. We just love it. I also really like Aruba and St. Lucia, however have not had the nerve to try a southern Caribbean cruise yet. I just hate flying in and out of San Juan.

I just feel like with the "Mexiribbean" ports, one time is good. They're fun once, but they just don't have the Caribbean charm that the Eastern and Southern islands do.

As we do most of our cruising during the winter, to get away from our Wisconsin cold, we don't worry about the ports too much. I agree about the southern itinearies. Much too hard and expensive to fly into San Jaun. As we have done most of the other ports already, we mostly stay on board when in port. It's rather nice having the ship to one's self.

Rollie

If you plan to sail Oasis or Allure, it would be for the ship, not the ports of call. The ship itself would be the destination. As far as I cam concerned, the ship could just go out into the ocean and go in circles with no port stops. The port stops will be included, so people can put their feet onto land.

As for other RC ships, they are doing mostly the same boring ports of call. One way to get to some of the other islands, is to try a different cruise line. We have done that, and saw many other interesting and beautiful ports. Each cruise line has something different to offer. We have not had a bad cruise yet! Some are just better than others!

Look for smaller ships with longer than 7 day itineraries. Sometimes you can get some great islands on the smaller ships. The Vision class used to do some great itineraries, 9 islands in 11 days, but I am not sure they do that anymore. The Oasis and Allure are going to become the destination in and of themselves. People will cruise on them for the ship, not the places it goes. I bet most people would not care if it was a 7 day cruise to nowhere. If you don't prefer that, then you should choose a different ship.

Some of the other lines offer different itineraries. I am not saying you HAVE to look elsewhere, but if you want different islands, you may want to see what else is offered.

And just where else would you like to go?? Are there islands out there we haven't heard of?? Not every island has port facilities for any ships, let alone the big ones.

When we first started cruising with small ships, Martinique, Grenada, and Caracas were on the itineraries. Some of those places are political no-no's now, however.

There are still ships that go to Tobago, Tortola, and a few other less traveled islands.

As far as Marigot is concerned, we are going to St. Maarten on our family cruise this December. DH and I decided to take Grandma on a bus tour of the island and stay in Marigot to take a look around. We'll taxi back to the ship.

I think Princess and NCL go to the less visited islands, but their cruise experience isn't for everyone. No one can beat RCCL's ships.

I think Princess and NCL go to the less visited islands, but their cruise experience isn't for everyone. No one can beat RCCL's ships.

Depends what you're looking for. I chose NCL, because I wanted to see something different. We went to Tortola, and Samana. It was great. In fact I thought Tortola was one of the most gorgeous islands, as was Samama. Not a lot of people liked Samana, (very third world), but in a few years it will become just as touristy as the rest.

I am also glad I tried NCL. No, it doesn't have the same amenities as RCL, but it does have some nice features, and the itineraries are a bit different. I will definetly be back with NCL.

This is a good part of why we are now looking at other lines to cruise...there are just so many times you can go to the same place.....and we mostly cruise for the cruise itself not the itinerary but still like the idea of one or two new places to visit for a few hours each cruise and I haven't seen a new port on any of our cruises with Royal in the Carribbean in a long time....Princess offers alternatives that we will probably try......

But obviously they are still filling the ships....until that changes I doubt the itineraries are going to change either.....:)

Depends what you're looking for. I chose NCL, because I wanted to see something different. We went to Tortola, and Samana. It was great. In fact I thought Tortola was one of the most gorgeous islands, as was Samama. Not a lot of people liked Samana, (very third world), but in a few years it will become just as touristy as the rest.

I am also glad I tried NCL. No, it doesn't have the same amenities as RCL, but it does have some nice features, and the itineraries are a bit different. I will definetly be back with NCL.

Yes, if the ports are the primary reason you are cruising, then NCL is a great choice. I personally don't like the cruise experience I get with NCL.

I have a friend who is about to go with me on our seconed girls-only cruise. She cruises NCL with her Mom, sister, and brother, and says it's nice, but cannot really compare to RCCL. Her family like NCL for the very reasons we are discussing here: the different islands. Also, her brother and Mom smoke and NCL's smoking policy is more liberal according to her.

Most boring ports - Nassau and Grand Cayman

Wow. No accounting for tastes, is there?

I think the idea of visiting more exotic ports is a mixed bag. I have longed for ABC (not the ABC Dutch islands, but "anything but Cozumel") and we don't even get off the ship in Ocho Rios any more. However, not every Caribbean island is a tropical paradise and I'm afraid there are probably more Martiniques and Ocho Rioses than there are St. Maartens and Grand Caymans. I'd rather spend yet another day at Labadee than visit an island with aggressive vendors, open sewers, and not very attractive beaches.

If you expend a little effort to investigate the cruiseline's offerings you can find many cruises that go to all of those Caribbean ports that have been mentioned. The cruiselines tend to offer itineraries that have the ability to supply them with the most passengers. As long as they are attracting new to cruising passengers, familiar ports such as San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Cozumel and Grand Cayman, are going to be in sufficient demand that they will concentrate their newest ships on those routes. For those of us who have visited those ports ad infinitem, they do offer sailings that include other less familiar ports. Last year, the Legend of the Seas offered back to back cruises that visited Guadaloupe, Dominica, Martinique, Grenada, St. Lucia, and Barbados. This year's Jewel repositioning cruise will visit St. Croix and next year's, Dominica and Curaçao.

It is not the same old, same old, if you take the time to look a little more deeply into the offerings. New ships such as Oasis and Allure are being booked primarily for the ships themselves and because of their special requirements that limit their access to certain ports of call, it should be obvious why they are not taking them to more distant or more exotic locations. That has traditionally been the way in which new ships have been introduced and it has proven to be a successful formula. RCI and the other lines are in business to make a profit and if they can do so, by visiting the ports which attract the most passengers, it is difficult to blame them even if those ports hold little or no appeal for us.

We like to cruise out of Bayonne , but they always do Eastern Caribbean. (DH has some medical items he needs to bring and doesn't trust flying ). I would like them to try a western or southern. I can only cruise during the summer so I miss out on the other cruises they have out of NJ. I would be willing to pay for a longer cruise if it is needed to see different ports.

Most who complain about the ports simply have not done their homework. Yes, it is true that RCI tends to stick to the same boring itineraries...especially in the Caribbean and Europe. But that is simply a reflection of a cruise line that has decided to emphasize mega-ships which by the nature of their size limit the number of ports. Another issue is that RCI has slowed down their ships to save fuel (other lines have done the same) which also limits ports on most itineraries. For those that want to try something different, you need to expand your horizons to other cruise lines and smaller vessels. Take a look at Azamara, Oceania, Holland America and even Princess and you will find some very interesting itineraries. We have cruised to 6 continents over the years, and have found many new ports.....but it has meant using 11 different cruise lines.

Hank

I mostly do charters on RCI. I booked the Liberty in Jan 2010 and was really excited for the itinerary, Miami-Labadee-Casa de Campo/Catalina Island-Curacao-Miami. But they just changed it to Labadee, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Ugh. But with the charters the destination is probably more the ship than the islands.

Enchantment sailing out of Panama has an interesting itinerary. (Colon, Panama; Cartagena, Colombia; Santa Marta, Colombia; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Colon, Panama)

Serenade sailing out of San Juan is also new to me, with the exception of San Juan and St. Maarten (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; St. George's, Grenada; San Juan, Puerto Rico)

Hopefully with Oasis and Allure covering the traditional eastern and western routes it will free up some of the other ships to do more interesting itineraries for those of us looking for something new.

We like to cruise out of Bayonne , but they always do Eastern Caribbean. (DH has some medical items he needs to bring and doesn't trust flying ). I would like them to try a western or southern. I can only cruise during the summer so I miss out on the other cruises they have out of NJ. I would be willing to pay for a longer cruise if it is needed to see different ports.

I have no doubt that you would be willing to pay for a longer cruise and so would many others.:) The question for RCI and other lines, however, is how many others would be willing to do so and how often would their ships sail profitably full if they offered what you suggest. Unless you can promise them 3500 or more passengers on a regular basis, it is not economically feasible for them to change what they are doing and as long as they are filling their ships with the current itineraries, don't expect them to offer other itineraries that won't provide a similar profit. If you want to sail those other itineraries, you may have to bite the bullet and sail from somewhere other than Bayonne.:(

All of our cruises have been in the Caribbean. We have no problem with the ports since the ship is now our destination.

You have to remember that maybe you're bored with the same ports but for many it's their first and possibly only cruise.

Just wait, Cuba will be on the list shortly.

Archived