Florence DIY itinerary - is this do-able?

AndyB

We (me, DH and DS-8) are doing Florence and Pisa on our own in October off Century. Planning around train schedules (using GSPLover’s info site – so helpful, thank you!). Sorry for the long post, but I'm an overplanner. :o Does this look do-able?

7:00 Ship docks

7:30 Train from Livorno to Florence (alt. 7:34, 8:11)

9:00 – 10:00 Capelle Medicee/San Lorenzo/Mercato (only if we make the earliest train)

10:00 – 10:30 Accademia (pre-book – only really interested in David and unfinished slaves)

10:30 – 11:30 DaVinci museum (need more info – supposed to be great for kids)

11:30 - 12:00 Duomo and Battistero (not climbing dome)

12:00 - 1:00 Lunch around Piazza della Signoria (possibly see Santa Croce?)

1:00 - 2:00 Uffizi (pre-book)

2:00 Make our way back to Firenze SMN (half hour walk from Uffizi??)

2:30 Train from Florence to Pisa (1 hour)

3:30 – 5:00 To Field of Miracles, tower and back to train station

5:00 Train to Livorno (15 min)

5:15 Taxi to port (may have to call one from news stand in train station?)

5:30 Back on ship (1 hour cushion for delays)

This looked like it is walkable on the map, but I’d welcome insight on where we might have problems getting from place to place.

Our must do’s are the Accademia and the Uffizi, with interest in the DaVinci museum and Santa Croce. Pisa is on the itinerary for our son (8), but I’m hoping we can generate enough interest in the Florence sights to skip it and spend that extra 90 minutes in Florence (which is why I put it at the end of the itinerary). We want this day to be educational and fun, and know we aren’t going to be “absorbing the culture”. Since we’re taking DS out of school, we want to do a live report back to his class.

Does anyone have experience at either the DaVinci Museum or the Science Museum (near the Uffizi)? I read the Science museum is having a celebration of Galileo this year, but haven’t found much information. Also read that the DaVinci Museum has hands-on exhibits that might be more interesting to my son than Galileo’s instruments (us too).

And what is the draw of the Ponte Vecchio? If we are not shoppers, is this something we want to see? So far I’m not finding a reason to put it on our list. Thanks for any suggestions!!

We (me, DH and DS-8) are doing Florence and Pisa on our own in October off Century. Planning around train schedules (using GSPLover’s info site – so helpful, thank you!). Sorry for the long post, but I'm an overplanner. :o Does this look do-able?

7:00 Ship docks

7:30 Train from Livorno to Florence (alt. 7:34, 8:11)

9:00 – 10:00 Capelle Medicee/San Lorenzo/Mercato (only if we make the earliest train)

10:00 – 10:30 Accademia (pre-book – only really interested in David and unfinished slaves)

10:30 – 11:30 DaVinci museum (need more info – supposed to be great for kids)

11:30 - 12:00 Duomo and Battistero (not climbing dome)

12:00 - 1:00 Lunch around Piazza della Signoria (possibly see Santa Croce?)

1:00 - 2:00 Uffizi (pre-book)

2:00 Make our way back to Firenze SMN (half hour walk from Uffizi??)

2:30 Train from Florence to Pisa (1 hour)

3:30 – 5:00 To Field of Miracles, tower and back to train station

5:00 Train to Livorno (15 min)

5:15 Taxi to port (may have to call one from news stand in train station?)

5:30 Back on ship (1 hour cushion for delays)

This looked like it is walkable on the map, but I’d welcome insight on where we might have problems getting from place to place.

Our must do’s are the Accademia and the Uffizi, with interest in the DaVinci museum and Santa Croce. Pisa is on the itinerary for our son (8), but I’m hoping we can generate enough interest in the Florence sights to skip it and spend that extra 90 minutes in Florence (which is why I put it at the end of the itinerary). We want this day to be educational and fun, and know we aren’t going to be “absorbing the culture”. Since we’re taking DS out of school, we want to do a live report back to his class.

Does anyone have experience at either the DaVinci Museum or the Science Museum (near the Uffizi)? I read the Science museum is having a celebration of Galileo this year, but haven’t found much information. Also read that the DaVinci Museum has hands-on exhibits that might be more interesting to my son than Galileo’s instruments (us too).

And what is the draw of the Ponte Vecchio? If we are not shoppers, is this something we want to see? So far I’m not finding a reason to put it on our list. Thanks for any suggestions!!

You have obviously done your homework. Yes, it is doable. From the Piazza della Signoria, head towards Santa Croce on one of the sidestreets. You will run into many little but interesting eating places that will be far less expensive than the Piazza area. Another alternative, cross the Ponte Vechio, go off on the second side street to the right.

The DaVinci museum is excellent for kids of all ages. We went there last October and really enjoyed it.

Keep track of your time - it will go fast. I would say that there is a good chance that you'll spend all your time in Firenze.

I think you're going to be running from site to site like a marathoner! I understand why you would like to see everything, but I think trying to squeeze in seven museums/famous sites in one day is way too much.

I also think you will be sorry if you don't allow at least an hour at the Accademia. You need a few minutes to just stand and contemplate. You also need a few minutes to walk across town to and from the various sites, take a wrong turn, have a coffee or a gelato, and use the loo. And even in October, there will be lot of other tourists in Florence. You will have to allow a little time to wait behind them, go around them, etc.

In your shoes, I would concentrate on the Accademia, the Uffizi and the Duomo. Then if you still have time, you could try for the DaVinci museum or Santa Croce, or possibly a swing through Pisa. If you go there and only glance at the tower without climbing it, it's just not the same. I'd save it for another trip if that's the case.

Just my opinion - I'm sure others will have different advice!:) Have a good time, whatever you decide.

Lisa

Hi AndyB,

To answer your question...yes, it’s doable. However, it raises another question: What are you going to take away from your day in Florence and Pisa?

IMHO, you’re trying to squeeze too much into your short port of call. If it were me, I’d limit my itinerary to Florence. Florence is one of the great cities of the world...why rush it even if you have just one day?

Even though you’re pre-booking Accademia, there may still be a line. It’s our experience, that you can just about walk in during the afternoon after all the tours and excursions have come and gone.

If one of your must dos is the Uffizi Galleria, you’ll need more than an hour to do it justice. You could literally spend a day or more there.

Ponte Vecchio is Florence’s oldest bridge and is interesting because it houses a number of jewelry shops. You can see it from afar and not feel you really missed anything by not walking among the shops.

Lew

You have obviously done your homework. Yes, it is doable. From the Piazza della Signoria, head towards Santa Croce on one of the sidestreets. You will run into many little but interesting eating places that will be far less expensive than the Piazza area. Another alternative, cross the Ponte Vechio, go off on the second side street to the right.

The DaVinci museum is excellent for kids of all ages. We went there last October and really enjoyed it.

Keep track of your time - it will go fast. I would say that there is a good chance that you'll spend all your time in Firenze.

Thanks for the tip on the cheaper eats - I assumed Piazza della Signoria would be high. I've seen posts about little hole-in-the-wall places where you stand at the counter, but I'm really hoping for a spot to sit down for a few minutes. We'll play it by ear.

If we do arrive in Firenze with time to spare before David, is the San Lorenzo area a good place for sightseeing without committing too much time in any one spot? Capelle Medicee looks interesting, but not sure how much time we'd have to commit. Do you have any recommendations for that area?

Appreciate you sharing this information!!

It may be doable, but one has to wonder why you would do it. It would be like cobbling down a Michelin 3 star meal in 15 minutes. You can do it, but will you enjoy it when you are always looking at your watch and running for trains? If you have already been to Epcot skip Pisa. If you haven’t been there still skip Pisa. Given the choice between Pisa or spending more time in Florence, no question I would spend more time in Florence. And doing the Uffitzi in one hour, why bother. I also have to ask if an 8 year old will find anything of interest in the Uffitzi. But do climb to the top of the Duomo for the incredible views. Your son will really get a kick out of it.

I concur with your perceptive view regarding the Ponte Vecchio. Historic of itself, but really just for shoppers. Easily viewed very nicely from above from the Uffizi windows in the long sculpture gallery.

Enjoy your day in fantastic Florence!

I hear the consensus, and am on board with the "skip Pisa" idea. Will work on bringing my son around to that idea. Based on our experience with him at the Louvre last year, he's pretty good in museums if he has something to look for, so he should be okay in the Uffizi, we'll prepare him for that.

Thinking about the timing of crowds at the Accademia, and wanting to get a view of the city without climbing the Duomo, I'm now thinking the reverse of my itinerary:

• Start across the Arno (possibly get a bus or taxi to Fort Belvedere, where I've read are great views) - if we make it to Florence by 9:00
  • Down the hill and cross the Ponte Vecchio
  • Uffizi for 2 hours (say, 10:00-12:00) - start here if we don't get the early train - if DS gets antsy I can remove him for a gelato break while DH continues, and we'll meet up for lunch.
  • Lunch break somewhere OFF the Piazza della Signoria (skip Santa Croce)
  • Duomo (no climbing, I'd rather spend more time in the Uffizi)
  • DaVinci Museum
  • Accademia (say, 2:30)
  • Pass through San Lorenzo market for souvenirs on the way back to the train station (if time permits)
  • 3:30 train to Livorno - Oops, no time for Pisa, but plenty of time for gelato breaks.

So, I'm down to 4 museums/major sites with optional city views and market shopping, time permitting. Better?

I'll give you the perspective of the 8 year old. We took our kids to Florence and Pisa when they were 11 and 7. First, they LOVED the Da Vinci Museum. We adults did, too. However, the kids' favorite part was the Tower of Pisa! The 7 year old was too young to climb it then, but the 11 year old was totally ecstatic over it. Even the 7 year old loved seeing it. I suggest skipping the Uffizi, because you don't have long enough time there and because I don't think the 8 year old will appreciate it.

I hear the consensus, and am on board with the "skip Pisa" idea. Will work on bringing my son around to that idea. Based on our experience with him at the Louvre last year, he's pretty good in museums if he has something to look for, so he should be okay in the Uffizi, we'll prepare him for that.

Thinking about the timing of crowds at the Accademia, and wanting to get a view of the city without climbing the Duomo, I'm now thinking the reverse of my itinerary:

• Start across the Arno (possibly get a bus or taxi to Fort Belvedere, where I've read are great views) - if we make it to Florence by 9:00
  • Uffizi for 2 hours (say, 10:00-12:00) - start here if we don't get the early train - if DS gets antsy I can remove him for a gelato break while DH continues, and we'll meet up for lunch.
  • DaVinci Museum
  • Pass through San Lorenzo market for souvenirs on the way back to the train station (if time permits)
  • 3:30 train to Livorno - Oops, no time for Pisa, but plenty of time for gelato breaks.

So, I'm down to 4 museums/major sites with optional city views and market shopping, time permitting. Better?

That sounds like a much more workable itinerary. I think you will be happy and enjoy your day more.

I'll give you the perspective of the 8 year old. We took our kids to Florence and Pisa when they were 11 and 7. First, they LOVED the Da Vinci Museum. We adults did, too. However, the kids' favorite part was the Tower of Pisa! The 7 year old was too young to climb it then, but the 11 year old was totally ecstatic over it. Even the 7 year old loved seeing it. I suggest skipping the Uffizi, because you don't have long enough time there and because I don't think the 8 year old will appreciate it.

Well.....not all kids are the same. I went on a guided tour in Italy with my parents as a very young teen. I LOVED the Uffizi and was not happy about the amount of time we had to see it.....I wanted more! As for the leaning tower, I thought it was nothing special.

Hi Andy,

Please don't tell me you did the Louvre in an hour... :rolleyes:

Lew

:D

No, but we didn't spend the day either! That was my first time to Paris, as this will be the first to Florence - not the last! So I'm okay with getting just a taste, and giving the little guy a bit of art without overwhelming him. It's the compromise that works for us. We'll be back for a more leisurely visit someday.

• DaVinci Museum

For the best views of Florence I would swap Forte di Belvedere for Piazzale Michelangelo, were you will also see the larger than life replica of the statue of David. Piazzale Michelangelo is accessible by bus from Florence city center. You can then catch a bus back to the Ponte Vecchio.

For the world’s best gelato be sure to go to Gelateria Vivoli (Via Isola della Stinche 7R, near Santa Croce).

• DaVinci Museum

Schedule is looking better. You might want to consider Piazzale Michelangelo instead of Forte Belvedere. Its views are just as good and the bus connections are better. Take a bus right across from Stazione Firenze SMN. Heading down, the walk to Ponte Vecchio is about 15 minutes.

You might want to consider Piazzale Michelangelo instead of Forte Belvedere. Its views are just as good and the bus connections are better.

Okay, Piazzale Michelangelo it is. As an alternate, if we miss the earlier train and still want to start at the far end and work our way back, is it easy enough just to walk straight to the Uffizi from Firenze SMN? We wouldn't need to catch a bus for that, would we?

Okay, Piazzale Michelangelo it is. As an alternate, if we miss the earlier train and still want to start at the far end and work our way back, is it easy enough just to walk straight to the Uffizi from Firenze SMN? We wouldn't need to catch a bus for that, would we?

The walking distance is 1.4km, about 20 min. You can print the directions off www.maps.google.com using the walking route.

• 2 weeks later...

No bus necessary from Firenze SMN to Uffici. It is not a 'straight shot' but not too far off. Easy, level walk. Done it (and equivilant) dozens of times.

No bus necessary from Firenze SMN to Uffici. It is not a 'straight shot' but not too far off. Easy, level walk. Done it (and equivilant) dozens of times.

Thanks, Foye, glad you've "been there, done that" and are willing to share (you too, grandbanksguy, CintiPam, cruisemom42 and others I see regularly on these boards!!)!

Feeling good about Florence - please stay with me for "Rome DIY itinerary - is this do-able?" when I get around to it. You all have given me courage to pass on the private tour and go public transportation! :D

(grandbanksguy, I'm getting ready to try your google maps tip - hopefully both cities are covered)

Andrea

Archived