All E-Docs, All The Time (two threads merged)

ger_77

I wonder how our documents will be handled. We originally had e-documents when we reserved, but I went in yesterday to make final payment and before doing that, our TA called HAL and changed us to paper documents as I wanted the blue folder.

If the rules changed today - not sure how that affects us having made the change yesterday.

According to the Q&A Trish posted the other day, if you are cruising after Sept 25, it doesn't matter what you asked for, you'll get the e-doc format.

I liked the anticipation of the blue folder, but honestly, the vouchers were the most important things (and also a pain sometimes). I'll be fine with the new system.

I'm not sure I will bother printing out the whole thing, especially the contract part.

Okay - now I'm starting to worry about my sanity lol.

After all of the recent threads on e-documents versus paper copies, I ended up having a dream about them last night.

In my dream, I got this BIG box delivered and when I opened it up, it was from HAL. I was to impressed at how quick it had come as I'd only switched to paper documents a couple of days before. I was so happy to see a lovely blue folder in the box.

But there was also a gorgeous overnight bag in a soft brown leather (with a very discrete HAL logo), and a new purse that matched the overnight bag, a beautiful agenda folder, and a planning calendar to put into the agenda with all of the stuff we needed to do before the cruise. And paperwork! I was SHOCKED at how much paperwork there was but also was so chuffed at the lovely folder and bags!

I really need to get a life outside of planning this cruise. :rolleyes:

But there was also a gorgeous overnight bag in a soft brown leather (with a very discrete HAL logo), and a new purse that matched the overnight bag

Jewel, all you need is the information page of the documents - the overnight bag and purse are definitely not required. Please send them to the following address and I'll take care of them for you.:D

Let's see, printed documents, shore-ex booklet, blue damask folder . . . $35; soft leather overnight bag and matching leather purse . . . $550 - I don't think so. But what a beautiful dream! I'd love to have one of each, but I guess it will have to remain just a fantasy.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Jewel, you have an idea there girl. HAL can have someone like, umm Kate Spade springs to mind run up some purses and overnight cases. They can sell them in the HAL shop right next to the Heavenly Beds.

Sounds like a winning plan to me. :D

Couldn't HAL have called them E-Docs? Express Docs does not mean anything. The name does not give a clue that you need the internet to access express docs. "Express" makes me think of Express Mail by the USPS or even the long dead Railway Express Agency. You will note that the posters on this thread call them e-docs, not Express Docs. Call them e-docs, HAL, and get rid of the entity that came up with the meaningless "Express Docs".

Don't get me started on "As You Wish" dining.

As long as you can get luggage tags mailed to you, what is really the big

deal about an e-ticket?

I've noticed my last couple of cruises no one actually "takes" the printed

ticket, or even looked at it! All they wanted to see was your express check-in form that you filled out online anyway.

Also, if the cost savings on printed docs and blue folders can prevent

some type of on-board cost cutting, I'm all for it.:)

deal about an e-ticket?

All luggage tags will be given out at the pier or the airport beginning Sept. 25. They are mailing luggage tags for Vancouver, but not other embarkation ports.

deal about an e-ticket?

I've noticed my last couple of cruises no one actually "takes" the printed

ticket, or even looked at it! All they wanted to see was your express check-in form that you filled out online anyway.

Also, if the cost savings on printed docs and blue folders can prevent

some type of on-board cost cutting, I'm all for it.:)

When I traveled with a friend on Carnival they only issued one ticket. Since we arrived at different times all my friend needed to show to check in was his boarding pass and passport. The tickets were never necessary.

I've held onto my ticket wallets and if I need to I'l recycle. Otherwise in a year or 2 they'll all be up for auction on ebay as cruise line nostalgia (along with the shower curtains, life rafts and espresso machines I've manage to walk off with :D).

is a silly argument. Although I agree with having e-docs, I get tired of people wanting to save the trees. Trees are a renewable resource. I live among billions of them! And, I use them for heat. I just finished cutting, splitting and stacking 7 cords for this upcoming winter. For every mature tree in my 640 acres there are 15 seedlings or middle aged trees coming right behind them.

I will miss the blue folders too but will happily print out every doc available online (and probably multiple copies in case any set is lost).

I did the online check-in today for my upcoming cruises and when I was done with the forms (which ask for an e-mail address), HAL provided a date on which my E-Docs will be available for printing. I just made a note of it in my paperwork.

Thanks!

I actually liked using the E-Docs and thought they were much simpler. TA's were notified yesterday of the new immeidiate policy change. This move actually does not surprise me in the least.

Although the only thing I will miss is the luggage tags :( While the tags at the pier are nice, everyone will be getting them and also having to fill them out making just one more thing to have to do at the pier. Usually it is all ready hectic enough getting you luggage out of the taxi and getting them to a Stevedore now you have to track down some one with tags and stand there and fill them out. I just do not like this and would much rather already have my tags on my bags.

Luggage tags will be mailed for Vancouver cruises according to the HAL website. Is that the only US direct port?

" You do not need to request luggage tags. We will be mailing luggage tags for U.S. citizens cruising from Vancouver starting approximately 55 days prior to departure. "

Luggage tags will be mailed for Vancouver cruises according to the HAL website. Is that the only US direct port?

" You do not need to request luggage tags. We will be mailing luggage tags for U.S. citizens cruising from Vancouver starting approximately 55 days prior to departure. "

Cool!

US Direct Program / Onboard Check-in

Port Metro Vancouver, cruise lines and the Vancouver Airport Authority offer "Onboard Check-in” and “US Direct" streamlining Alaska cruise ship passenger processing and improves transit times between the Port and airport.

US Direct allows passengers arriving at Vancouver Airport (YVR) to transfer directly to a same-day-departing cruise ship by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process.

Onboard Check-in allows passengers arriving on a cruise ship and flying out of YVR on the same day to transfer directly to YVR by participating in an expedited immigration and customs clearance process.

Onboard Check-in and US Direct do not apply to passengers who are planning a pre or post stay in Vancouver. Travel agents or passengers who want to take advantage of the Onboard Check-in/US Direct program should contact participating cruise lines directly.

Features and Benefits

• Sterile and secure passenger and baggage transfer between the Port and airport.
  • For embarking passengers, baggage is transferred direct from the plane to your ship.
  • For disembarking passengers, baggage is transferred to ‘final’ airport destination.
  • Significantly reduced wait times for departing and arriving passengers.
  • Expedited US / Canadian immigration and customs process.
  • Works in conjunction with a cruise line pre-purchased bus transfer to airport / ship.
  • 100% security screening for all passengers and baggage in a designated area for participants only.

Program Participants

Cruise Lines

Airlines

From the airport to the Port (embarking passengers only), in addition to the above airlines, Continental, Delta, Frontier and SkyWest also participate in the program.

Eligibility

Passengers are eligible to participate in the Onboard Check-in program if they meet the following criteria:

Port to Airport - disembarking in Vancouver

1. Travelling with a valid US Passport and/or valid US Permanent Resident Card.
  2. Arriving on a cruise ship direct from a US port.
  3. Have a flight direct to the US, same day as disembarking the ship.
  4. Have registered for Onboard Check-in program with cruise booking or onboard ship.
  5. In possession of cruise line bus transfer to Vancouver Airport.

Airport to Port - embarking in Vancouver

1. Travelling with a valid US Passport, and/or valid US Permanent Resident Card.
  2. Arriving into Vancouver on the same day as sailing with flight arrival no later than 2:00 pm
  3. Flight arriving directly from the US.
  4. In possession of a cruise line bus transfer direct to the ship.
  5. Airline checked luggage has been securely tagged with ship tags.

:)

There are eBrochures for the shore excursion booklets on the HAL website.

In addition to the large booklets, you can download a "Personalized Shore Excursion Brochure" for your booked cruise from the book shore excursions section. It's covers only shore excursions from your cruise, and includes the dates your cruise will be at each location. This is easier for me to use than the larger brochures. You can print it out, or just use it from your computer.

Trish

It's about time, most of the paper inside the blue folder was useless.

What a waste of our natural resources.

True - But there are lots of older cruisers who are neither computer-savvy nor capable of understanding how to get their computerized tickets.

Like the airline industry, it's only right that there's an alternative to online documents.

True - But there are lots of older cruisers who are neither computer-savvy nor capable of understanding how to get their computerized tickets.

Like the airline industry, it's only right that there's an alternative to online documents.

This is the email that TA's received last week.

Dear Travel Professional,

We have been very pleased with the wide acceptance of our Online Check-in process. Almost 90% of our guests are using this convenient, time-saving service to expedite their embarkation procedures. Our new Express Docs electronic notification system has made this even easier by providing the fastest access to Online Check-in, along with everything else you and your clients need to know for their Holland America vacation.

With Express Docs, you and your clients receive comprehensive, up-to-date information on all aspects of their cruise. You — or they — can review all the relevant sections, print only what is needed, and arrive at the pier with their Signature Preferred boarding pass, identification, and vacation attitude.

The Express Docs notification arrives electronically approximately 50 days before departure. There is immediate access to information about:

· Online Check-in

· Passports, Visas, and Immunizations

· Flight and Transfer Information

· Shore Excursions

· Onboard Gifts

· Planning and Advice checklists

· Contact and Communication Information

Express Docs represents a huge savings of time, trees, landfill space, and postage for us and for you. With faster, easier service and savings as well, we are announcing that Express Docs will become our exclusive means of providing embarkation information, starting with all sailings departing on or after September 25, 2009. Given the extremely high incidence of Online Check-in, we expect the transition to be an easy one. Due to the complexities of the Grand Voyages, we will continue to provide full document wallets for these guests. Luggage tags for all other cruises have been greatly simplified and will be available at the pier.

We recognize that many of you have expressed your concern that electronic documents do not represent a premium presentation. We believe that faster, more complete, more convenient service and information do reflect our premium position and will, after a short period of transition, be readily accepted by our guests.

It should make your job easier as well. You and your clients will receive each set of Express Docs. You can review it with them in person or by phone. Either of you can print only those sections that they want to carry. The rest is always available online, at www.hollandamerica.com. In the section, “For Booked Guests”, create an account with e-mail address and password, sign in with name and booking number, and your information will be there to review.

We have compiled a set of Questions and Answers for your reference. They are available at www.hollandamerica.com/ExpressDocsFAQsTA. Complete details, including screen shots, are there to assist those of you not already familiar with this process.

Over time, we expect to enhance this service and information to further improve the pre-cruise experience for you and our guests. We appreciate your continued support and we look forward to serving you and your guests on a future Holland America Cruise.

Best regards,

Paul T. Allen

But what I am curious about is those passengers that call HAL direct to book their cruises and do not have computers

I know for me our agency was still set up to send out the pretty blue folders even our division that is an online agency but because 99% of our clients are on the Internet this is no problem to convert. But I would assume that HAL has a client base that still calls them directly and does not have email or computers. I cannot help but think that those clients will still get their documents mailed to them.

Maybe Avery (you know the label company) could come up with a "generic" label form and the cruise lines could all have a way to transmit the information or you can type it in yourself and print your own tags?

Works for me :D

Maybe Avery (you know the label company) could come up with a "generic" label form and the cruise lines could all have a way to transmit the information or you can type it in yourself and print your own tags?

Works for me :D

You're asking HAL to do this? :confused::confused: HA!

For bag tags anything will do, as long as it shows your last name and cabin number.

One item in our mailed docs that I found useful, was listing the number of formal nights, on your cruise. Where will this information be available now with e-docs? :confused:

Pat I know it still shows I just do not remember where I saw it. I have already tossed out my prior E docs I printed :o I believe it showed on the page that printed out the itinerary. Actually eerything you could want was on the E Docs including the emergency phones numbers. I always liked the little cards that had the contact for emergency numbers and I would leave that for our son. Thankfully he has never had to use them.

Archived