All E-Docs, All The Time (two threads merged)

ger_77

I just got off the telephone with our PCC who wanted us to know that effective 9AM today as a cost cutting measure, all cruise documentation will be sent electronically UNLESS you are willing to pay the additional $25 fee. We decided to forego the paper docs and are looking forward to receiving an email 50 days before sailing (according to our PCC) so that we can do our e-doc dance around the house.

Kristina also asked if we wanted luggage tags mailed to us, or if we were okay with filling them out at the pier - I indicated that everybody's tags could be mailed to me and I would pass them along, as there are 12 of us coming from the same city. As we are the only ones who have sailed HAL before, they won't miss the beautiful blue folder and all it contains, but I thought it would be nice to at least have the luggage tags. And who knows, maybe saving HAL a little money will result in a visit from the upgrade fairy, you never know! ;)

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Gerry

I'll miss getting our paper docs in the pretty blue folder with my favorite Logo but whaddyagonna do? I was told exactly the same as you.

All e-docs, all the time. No more paper docs. No more HAL travel wallets. :(

Kakalina posted a lengthy Q&A about this today, but I can't seem to locate it again. It seems that as of 9/25/09 sailings there will be no choice in the matter. The questions/answers covered a lot of territory, and was useful information.

Edit: found it---

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20510165#post20510165

Believe this is the post from Kakalina you were looking for regarding E-Docs - :confused:

This just in from my very reliable sources:

Introducing Holland America Line Express Docs

Note: Express Docs are only available in English.

Preparing for your client’s Holland America Line cruise is now easier, faster and more convenient. With Express Docs you and your clients receive comprehensive, up-to-date information on all aspects of their cruise. You — or they — can review all the information, print only what is needed and have convenient access to everything they need for their cruise.

The Express Docs notification arrives electronically approximately 50 days before departure — and upon final payment. Once the easy Online Check-in process is completed, the Express Docs will be ready to print.

With Express Docs, your clients will have access to more information tailored to their cruise itinerary — and it’s easy for you to check ticket and voucher information for accuracy, and make changes, if necessary with no re-issue fees.

Express Docs will be issued for all sailings departing on or after September 25, 2009.

Q — What is the difference between Express Docs and paper documents?

A — Express Docs provide the same information in electronic format and are available for you to access online approximately 50 days prior to departure at www.hollandamerica.com. Paper documents are the traditional printed documents presented in the blue pouch and are received in the mail approximately 45-30 days prior to departure.

Q — What are the benefits of having Express Docs?

A — Express Docs provide several benefits:

· Convenience & control

· Express Docs may be accessed at the guests’ convenience online 24/7, up to 50 days prior to departure

· Guests may print selected pages or the entire Express Docs form

· Each person on a booking can have his or her own set of Express Docs

· It’s easy to leave copies of their itinerary with family or friends

· There is no need to wait for documents to be reissued when you add a package or make a change to the booking

· There is more time to review itineraries for accuracy

· There is no charge to have documents reissued with Express Docs.

· While guests are online, it is easy to navigate to the Shore Excursions page and view their Personalized Shore Excursion Brochure as well as book Shore Excursions early

· Express Docs are a more environmentally friendly option

Q — If I have bookings that are traveling prior to September 25, 2009, can I still choose paper documents?

A — Yes. Voyages departing prior to September 25 will still have the option of choosing either paper documents or Express Docs.

Q — I have bookings that selected paper documents for travel on or after September 25, 2009. Will they still receive them?

A — No. All voyages departing September 25 and beyond will automatically be converted to Express Docs, with the exception of Grand Voyages.

Q — Are Express Docs available for all cruises?

A — Grand Voyages will retain traditional paper documents due to the extensive itinerary detail required for these complex and longer voyages. Express Docs are provided for all other cruise products.

Q — What do Express Docs look like?

A — Click here to view a sample of Express Docs.

Q — My clients have said that some of the wording on their Express Docs is too small to read comfortably while they are online.

A — Express Docs are presented in a pdf format that can be easily enlarged by clicking on the zoom-in tool in the toolbar.

Q — Is the document type noted on the Booking Confirmation?

A — Yes, we have added a box to show the document style for the booking.

Q — When will my clients’ documents be available?

A — Guests may access their Express Docs online approximately 50 days prior to departure when the booking is paid in full.

Q — How will I know when Express Docs are ready for my clients’ booking?

A — Holland America Line will send an email to each guest and a separate email or fax to notify you that Express Docs are ready for bookings that are paid in full, approximately 50 days prior to the voyage date.

Q — What does the email notification from Holland America Line look like?

A — The email from Holland America Line has the Booking Number in the subject line so it’s easy to identify which bookings you have received.

Q — My clients have not received the e-mail notification for their Express Docs. Can you re-send it?

A — The email notification cannot be re-sent; however, reminder notices are scheduled to be sent at approximately 30 days and 14 days prior to departure for those guests who have not yet completed their Online Check-in.

If the booking is paid in full and within 50 days of travel, the guests may go to www.hollandamerica.com and select the links for Online Check-in.

Q — My agency would like to receive notifications via email rather than fax. How do we make this change?

A — You may change your agency contact from a fax number to an email address by faxing in a request on agency letterhead to 206-577-7080. You will continue to receive reminder faxes for bookings that were originally sent to your agency via fax until those bookings have completed the Online Check-in process.

Please note: All other forms such as Booking Confirmations, Final Payment Notices, etc. will also be sent to the same email contact.

Q — What if my clients do not have email or do not wish to provide an email address?

A — In order for us to provide notification that Express Docs are ready, we encourage all guests to provide their email address. However, a notice will still be sent to you, the travel professional, when the Express Docs are ready either by email or fax.

Q — What if I do not want you to email my clients directly?

A — When your clients’ email address(es) are included on the booking, it saves you the time of forwarding notifications to them. You are notified at the same time, which allows you to follow up with your clients at your convenience. Their email address is required for Online Check-in validation and becomes their user name for signing in.

Q — Why is a notification sent to each guest booked?

A — It is a requirement that each guest complete the Online Check-in process and review the cruise contract to access his or her Express Docs.

Q — With Express Docs, will my clients still receive luggage tags in the mail, in addition to the online Express Docs notification?

A — With Express Docs, luggage tags will be available from Holland America Line staff at the pier or at the port city airport. The guests’ luggage will follow normal processing and loading on to the ship from this point.

Q — What do the luggage tags look like?

A — Click here to see samples of the new Holland America Line luggage tags.

Q — My clients will be cruising out of Vancouver, are U.S. citizens or residents arriving at the Vancouver airport on the day of departure, and need luggage tags to participate in the US Direct immigration and customs clearance program. How can I get luggage tags for them?

A — You do not need to request luggage tags. We will be mailing luggage tags for U.S. citizens cruising from Vancouver starting approximately 55 days prior to departure. Guests are considered eligible to participate if they meet ALL of the qualifications detailed on the website at http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/embarkation/ and MUST complete Holland America Line Online Check-in at least 10 days prior to their cruise departure date.

Q — Will Express Docs include air, hotel and transfer information?

A — Yes, all the required information for documents is contained in Express Docs, including air itineraries, hotel and transfer details.

Q — If my clients purchased Holland America Line’s Home City Air, will the air itinerary print in their Express Docs?

A — Yes, the current flight detail information, including booking confirmation codes, prints in the online Express Docs, even if the air tickets are not yet issued. At the point the air tickets are issued, the online Express Docs will also include the airline e-ticket numbers for the flights. Air tickets are issued approximately 50 to 35 days prior to travel.

Q — Do my clients need vouchers?

A — HAL has gone voucher-less for most services. There are a few limited services that will still require vouchers. If vouchers are needed, they will be included in the Express Docs.

Q — If my clients make a change to their booking, will they be charged a fee to reissue the documents?

A — We will not charge document reissue fees for Express Docs. Their updated Express Docs information will be available online. Air penalties and Cancel Policy fees may apply. Please contact Reservations with any questions. If a change is made to a booking after the original Express Docs notification has been received, guests will need to reprint their documents. No reminder message will be sent.

Q — My clients have opted for a guarantee stateroom. When will their Express Docs show a stateroom number?

A — Guarantee staterooms may be assigned at any time prior to travel and up until embarkation day. Express Docs will show a stateroom number if it has been assigned but will otherwise show “To be assigned”. If your clients have printed their Express Docs prior to the stateroom assignment, they may wish to check back prior to sailing to see if a stateroom has been assigned. Otherwise, there will be staff available at the pier to advise them of their stateroom number as they fill out their luggage tags.

Q — Is information regarding what my clients should know before they depart for their cruise still available with Express Docs?

A — Yes, the Know Before You Go booklet that provides details on topics such as General Information, Cruise Preparation, Last-Minute Checklist, Arrival Advice, Shipboard Life, and Disembarkation is available online as a link at the bottom of the Online Check-in start page. This can be accessed at any time after the booking has been made.

Q — Where can I locate information regarding the accessibility my clients need while on their cruise?

A — This information can be located in the Know Before You Go booklet available online. Information for guests with disabilities can be found within the General Information section, while details regarding accessible transportation needs for transfers can be found under the Arrival Advice section.

Q — Can I print out my clients Express Docs without completing their Online Check-in?

A — We do require that the Online Check-in be completed before the Express Docs can be printed. If the Online Check-in cannot be completed by three days prior to sailing, Express Docs will still be available for printing; however your clients will need to provide this information at the pier.

Q — Is there a deadline for my clients to complete the Online Check-in process and access their Express Docs?

A — Online Check-in must be completed by three days prior to their departure. Guests will still be able to print out Express Docs after that time; however, the immigration forms must be completed at the pier.

Q — If my clients did not fill out their immigration forms online prior to the three day cutoff, do they need to check in early at the pier?

A — We recommend that guests arrive at the pier approximately three hours prior to ship sailing time to allow sufficient time for pier-side check-in.

Q — Do my clients need to print the entire Express Docs packet for each person traveling?

A — We recommend that guests print out one full copy of their Express Docs for their party along with the first page and any applicable vouchers for each guest traveling for check-in at the pier. Guests who are cruising together but have opted for different hotel or tour packages should also print out one full copy of their Express Docs for each traveler.

Q — My clients have a Mac® computer and are having trouble printing their Express Docs. What can they do to get them printed?

A — If they are using an Apple® Safari® browser they may need to upgrade to a newer version of Safari, or install a Firefox® browser. Another option is to install Adobe® Reader® and set it to be the default reader for the Internet.

Q — My clients need assistance in completing the Online Check-in and printing their Express Docs. Your web site security requires account sign-in to access the booking. How am I able to assist them?

A — You may create an account for yourself by clicking the My Account — Login link from the home page. Once you have created your account and logged in, you may go to Online Check-in. Enter the booking number and change the last name to the name of the client you are assisting and continue through the process.

When you get to the cruise contract acknowledgement page, be sure that you check the box for ‘I am a travel agent completing on behalf of a client’. A link to the cruise contract is available from the main Online Check-in page if you would like to print a copy for your client.

Q — What information do I need to register?

A — Your name, valid email address and a password.

Q — Where do I enter my clients' Holland America Line Booking Number and Last Name?

A — Once you have clicked on the Online Check-in button, enter the booking number and name in the designated fill-in boxes. (See below) Then click PROCEED. Please note that the ONLINE CHECK-IN must be completed in English and using either Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Unquote

Cynthia

Does anyone know if the shore excursion booklets that came in the folder will be available anywhere - eg. travel agent's office? Would HAL send that? It's a lot of paper to print out all of the shore excursions, and not very compact.

I'll miss getting our paper docs in the pretty blue folder with my favorite Logo but whaddyagonna do? I was told exactly the same as you.

All e-docs, all the time. No more paper docs. No more HAL travel wallets. :(

I don't know about you, Judy, but I have more of those "pretty blue folders" than I know what to do with; and to tell you the truth I still transfer all information needed to one of those "pleather" navy blue trifold wallets that I managed to save before my grandchildren got their hands on them.:D

It's about time, most of the paper inside the blue folder was useless.

What a waste of our natural resources.

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. However, upon more thoroughly reading the guidelines, I see that I will still be getting "hard copy" in a fancy(ish) wallet/folder since my next cruise is a "Grand Voyage" - sigh:(

Valerie:)

I understand the whole green/ecology/save-a-tree thing ... but I always look forward to the lovely blue doc packet. Guess I'll just have to fire up the printer when the time comes.

Just wondering ... in the near future, in an effort to save $$$, will HAL also go exclusively to e-brochures? Or perhaps charge for hold-in-your-hand brochures?

Thank goodness Al Gore invented the internets!

Adding: HAL already has changed its website Express Doc FAQ's to reflect the new info. In the past, T/A's always would quality-check the docs for accuracy and completeness ... guess that's one more little chore T/A's can forget about, as the onus now will be on the passenger.

I don't know about you, Judy, but I have more of those "pretty blue folders" than I know what to do with; and to tell you the truth I still transfer all information needed to one of those "pleather" navy blue trifold wallets that I managed to save before my grandchildren got their hands on them.:D

Valerie:)

:D Yes, Valerie. We have a stack of those wallets and probably still at least 2 or more dozen of the old dark blue pleather ones. I do so love when it comes in the mail but understand "the times they are a'changing". :D

I wonder if there is even a need to print the e-docs at all. Complete the on-line Registration and print the boarding pass and do we need to waste the ink and paper and print the docs at all?

So ... for passengers who neither own nor have access to a computer and, therefore, don't play on the internet and who also booked by phone directly with HAL ... what happens to them?

Amazing, I'm sure, but there likely are people out there in that boat (pun intended). No docs? Nothing? Nada? Not even paper credit card and immigration forms?

camp637, I think those concerns are valid. Those people may have to get friends to help them print off docs. Which will be okay if the friends are on high-speed, not dial-up. Or go to an office type store which can print the info for a small price. (Even our rinky-dink little town has one of those.)

As for the disappearance of the blue folders, well phfffffft! I just wanted one more set.... guess I better start digging around to find some we already own. (Somewhere I have a pleather one, too, I think!)

No real complaints from me -- I "get" the importance of cutting costs.

Well, I'm bummed. Oh well. I do understand cost cutting measures but I also think HAL should honor those of us who booked ahead of this brilliant way to save the earth and chose to have paper docs sent. I hope HAL has an accurate e-mail address for me. I booked through a TA and don't know that I shared my e-mail with them?

I hope HAL has an accurate e-mail address for me. I booked through a TA and don't know that I shared my e-mail with them?

I did the online check-in today for my upcoming cruises and when I was done with the forms (which ask for an e-mail address), HAL provided a date on which my E-Docs will be available for printing. I just made a note of it in my paperwork.

Does anyone know if the shore excursion booklets that came in the folder will be available anywhere - eg. travel agent's office? Would HAL send that? It's a lot of paper to print out all of the shore excursions' date=' and not very compact.[/quote']

HAL already provides the shore excursion booklets in pdf format on their webpage. You can download it and view it on your computer.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action

I wonder if there is even a need to print the e-docs at all. Complete the on-line Registration and print the boarding pass and do we need to waste the ink and paper and print the docs at all?
And are we "saving trees" if we print as much paper at home as they used to send? At least the shipping costs will be cut anyway.

I wonder how our documents will be handled. We originally had e-documents when we reserved, but I went in yesterday to make final payment and before doing that, our TA called HAL and changed us to paper documents as I wanted the blue folder.

I don't mind printing off my own documents - totally fine with that, but I did want to have a nice HAL folder as a memento if possible, as well as luggage tags ahead of time.

If the rules changed today - not sure how that affects us having made the change yesterday.

Does anyone know if the shore excursion booklets that came in the folder will be available anywhere - eg. travel agent's office? Would HAL send that? It's a lot of paper to print out all of the shore excursions' date=' and not very compact.[/quote']

There are eBrochures for the shore excursion booklets on the HAL website.

:D Yes, Valerie. We have a stack of those wallets and probably still at least 2 or more dozen of the old dark blue pleather ones. I do so love when it comes in the mail but understand "the times they are a'changing". :D

It is recommended that one person in the party print everything, and then each additional guest print only "Page 1"

Of course, for veterans to cruising on HAL, page 1 might be all that is necessary for anyone :)

And are we "saving trees" if we print as much paper at home as they used to send? At least the shipping costs will be cut anyway.

the volume in the packets vs. the 6-10 pages you might print at home really don't even compare on most cruise scenarios, since there is also no shore ex booklet printed and sent out.

Archived