All E-Docs, All The Time (two threads merged)

ger_77

Received word in an e-mail from Holland America late last week effective August/September they are elminating their traditional paper travel documents and will move to exclusively e-ticketing, meaning your travel information on cheap computer paper you print yourself.

As a travel agent I've thought in recent years the Holland America documents which were contained in soft blue satin case not much different from a ladie's fancy purse were the very best in the business for a mass market line. Surely the only documents better were those of the luxury operators like Silversea and Regent.

I was always proud to present the HAC documents to my clients and have always felt when people are spending several thousand dollars and more, they are entitled to "some decent paper work." Now, a la Princess, NCL, and Carnival, Holland America will be exclusively E-docs.

For a traditional cruise line, I think this is a real step down for Holland America and is no doubt the result of some tough "pencil pushing" inside the company. One surely has to wonder what other cost cutting measures are going on inside Holland America that will affect the passenger experience aboard their vessels.

I contacted my Holland America rep and all I got was a very terse, "this is the way it is and live with it" response.

Pretty sad in my book!

Worldspan

We were asked our preference and chose not to have the package mailed to us. We decided it was a great waste of paper.After you have a few blue document holders you have enough. I used the last one to carry my jewellery in but it is not really secure enough. I like the fact I did have a choice. Maybe that is the way they should go for now.

I always found the traditional paper docs to be a pain in the neck. They took up valuable space in my bag, I only needed a few of the tickets and all the rest of the envelope-stuffers could easily be referenced on the Internet.

If HAL can have online check-in, boarding pass, shorex, cabin info, onboard internet, etc, then why keep the dinosaur doc package?

This, from a diehard traditional HAL pax.

Received word in an e-mail from Holland

Pretty sad in my book!

Worldspan

I have to agree completely. It was always like Christmas to receive HAL docs.

That said I can see a considerable financial saving by eliminating them. Not the document folder itself with the paper tickets but a saving in postage, UPS, Fed Ex etc. The shipping charges alone must have amounted to something between $50,000 and $100,000 PER WEEK!

Perhaps a nice alternative is that upon arrival at the pier each passenger will be presented with a special folder containing all of the cruise information, paper tickets etc. I know a paper folder is in use at embarkaation now, I'm suggesting something a bit more substantial, providing the costs can be kept reasonable.

Stephen

Welcome to CC.

Yes.... HAL is saving trees and not wasting tons of paper and postage and is doing as most in the travel business do today.

I always enjoyed paper docs but this certainly comes as no huge surprise.

What's the major problem about them going to e-docs? :confused:

Of all the cut backs we've seen throughout the travel business in this economy, I'd rather see them save money here than on other things.

All leisure travel is trying to survive and offer as good as they can for the small fares so many are willing to pay. If more people were willing to pay more, companies could provide more.

E-docs are the way of the world, and not just in the cruise industry.

I would rather HAL cut costs in this area, than skimp on things like the luxurious beds and bed linens.

Roz

We liked the pretty blue purse, but it was full of stuff we didn't use... We now have several of them...

As the line competes against the other cruise lines mentioned by the OP, there is no way they can continue to issue them... IMO, they are a waste of money and resources...

We have to roll with the times...

The blue purse (or lack of it) has not affected our decision to sail with HAL in the future...

:D:D:D

Perhaps a nice alternative is that upon arrival at the pier each passenger will be presented with a special folder containing all of the cruise information, paper tickets etc. I know a paper folder is in use at embarkaation now, I'm suggesting something a bit more substantial, providing the costs can be kept reasonable.

Stephen

;) Stephen...... The 'paper folder' has shrunk!

Roz...

I would rather HAL cut costs in this area, than skimp on things like the luxurious beds and bed linens.
Funny you should say that. I have so many of those blue padded envelopes (including Mom's) that I opened them up, had them steam-pressed, sewed together, and made a rather comfortable quilt for the winter months.

Yes.... HAL is saving trees and not wasting tons of paper and postage and is doing as most in the travel business do today.

Does anyone honestly think its all about being Green ? I am all for that, have no argument with that, but come on, its all about the dollars and cents. The whole world e.g. banks, credit card companies, are trying to stuff this down our throats in the name of being "Green". Hogwash! Its all about saving themselves money.

Most important point is if HAC is trying to save money here, where else are they also trying to do it and how will that affect the onboard experience in the future. Where there is smoke, there's generally fire!

Worldspan

Does anyone honestly think its all about being Green ? I am all for that, have no argument with that, but come on, its all about the dollars and cents. The whole world e.g. banks, credit card companies, are trying to stuff this down our throats in the name of being "Green". Hogwash! Its all about saving themselves money.

Most important point is if HAC is trying to save money here, where else are they also trying to do it and how will that affect the onboard experience in the future. Where there is smoke, there's generally fire!

Worldspan

Seeing as you chose to quote me...... why didn't you fully quote me?

You removed the Considerable part of my post that spoke about money saving. No one denies it is money saving.

I will again state: If more people were willing to pay higher fares, HAL would be able to provide more.

When you see my whole post, which you did not post, you will see I never said I 'believe' it is about saving trees exclusively though it is a nice side result. :)

Welcome to CC.

I always enjoyed paper docs but this certainly comes as no huge surprise.

What's the major problem about them going to e-docs?

Of all the cut backs we've seen throughout the travel business in this economy, I'd rather see them save money here than on other things.

All leisure travel is trying to survive and offer as good as they can for the small fares so many are willing to pay. If more people were willing to pay more, companies could provide more.

Roz... Funny you should say that. I have so many of those blue padded envelopes (including Mom's) that I opened them up, had them steam-pressed, sewed together, and made a rather comfortable quilt for the winter months.

Too funny!

Me, I'll miss the blue purse but if it keeps costs down, I'm all for it. :)

Ok, so now how am I gonna get my Mariner buttons?:eek:

Considerably!;) Just barely bigger than the folded deck plan

Hey John, I have one or two extra ya want one;) :D

Actually I am hanging on to them and all my 20 some blue folders. In a few years I am going to sell them on EBAY :D

Worldspan, Yes I do believe HAL is going green with this. Anytime we can use less paper we are going green and yes they are saving money but like Roz said I would prefer this is where they cut back and saved money than taking away other luxury items and ammenities that I love. I definitely do not see this as a bad thing and I am actually thrilled they are doing this. I like many others have left my blue folder and all the other paper work that came with it at home and tossed out 90% then the remaining 10% never actually needed. Just what in the Blue Folder did anyone actually use any more? You certainly do not need the tickets. Now I do feel sorry for some of HAL's passengers that do not have access to the Internet and just phone in to HAL or a TA to book their cruise. It will then be up to those of us that are Travel Agents to just explain the E-Docs and print them for them and mail them to our clients. But I feel as time goes on there will be less and less of those clients.

We too received the shrunken folder when we checked in for our Westerdam cruise on May 31st. But you still receive the full size folder at the end of the cruise with you disembarkation luggage tags.

I actually have about 70+ of the two styles of the folders and goodness knows how many Mariner's Buttons. :D

There were some cruises when DH and I each received our own set of docs. There were times we got four folders for two of us doing a back-to-back.

My goodness...... I could supply a local TA with document folders to last them months! :D But they're NOT getting my Mariner's Buttons. :eek:

I probably will 'pass along' some of my pleather folders but am keeping the recent blue ones that have my favorite logo all over them!!

[/b]

OK so HAL is not producing paper docs. I can handle that but my mother who is sixty-three can NOT. She prefers to have her luggage tags (how do you get those) and her schedule all in one place. She has save all her envelopes in a box and there must be about 50-60 of them in there.

I think HAL should give the OPTION to their clients instead of just deciding to "go green", save on waste, or whatever.

What I really want is my luggage tags that I fill in at home. I do not want to search and find someone on the pier to fill them out. They can keep the blue folders, but please send out the luggage tags. Period.

There's another thread started about 4 days ago on this subject with about 50 posts. It has a long Q&A post sent to TAs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1029370

What I really want is my luggage tags that I fill in at home. I do not want to search and find someone on the pier to fill them out. They can keep the blue folders, but please send out the luggage tags. Period.
Just use anything that is big enough to write your last name and cabin number on. That's all that's needed.

Hey John, I have one or two extra ya want one;) :D

Actually I am hanging on to them and all my 20 some blue folders. In a few years I am going to sell them on EBAY :D

There's one on there right now - only $9.99 plus a couple of Mariner buttons for $3.99;)

Archived