Sagrada Familla - shorts ok?

Queenzena

Just wondering if it is acceptable for tourists to wear sleeveless tops and/or shorts while visiting the Sagrada Familla in Barcelona. I know it isn't kosher (no pun intended ;)) to do so in the Vatican, but I was wondering about elsewhere.

Just wondering if it is acceptable for tourists to wear sleeveless tops and/or shorts while visiting the Sagrada Familla in Barcelona. I know it isn't kosher (no pun intended ;)) to do so in the Vatican, but I was wondering about elsewhere.

The Sagrada Familia is still an unfinished cathedral, with few religious icons at this point (mostly a construction site ;)). As such, it is more of an architectural highlight than a sacred place and you will find a number of tourists wearing sleeveless tops and shorts.

However, if you are planning on visiting other churches that day that ARE used for worship and prayer (the Barcelona Cathedral, for example) you will want to cover your shoulders, etc. as a sign of respect.

For touring in Barcelona, in general, I advise wearing/bringing a sweater to layer. It will be great when you need it for entering churches, but also makes it easy to warm up if the air conditioning is too cold!

The Sagrada Familia is still an unfinished cathedral, with few religious icons at this point (mostly a construction site ;)). As such, it is more of an architectural highlight than a sacred place and you will find a number of tourists wearing sleeveless tops and shorts.

However, if you are planning on visiting other churches that day that ARE used for worship and prayer (the Barcelona Cathedral, for example) you will want to cover your shoulders, etc. as a sign of respect.

For touring in Barcelona, in general, I advise wearing/bringing a sweater to layer. It will be great when you need it for entering churches, but also makes it easy to warm up if the air conditioning is too cold!

Even though this church is "unfinished" it IS being used as a place of worship ! We were there Dec. 2nd 2007 and there was a mass taking place. Just FYI.

• 8 years later...

We liked using the headphones because it allowed us to set our own pace. Upside of a tour guide is ability to ask specific questions. To correct a previous poster, the church is being used for services as most of the interior is completed. Also it is not a Cathedral, as Barcelona already has a cathedral.

From their website:

Visitors may not enter barefoot.

As it is a Catholic church, visitors must dress appropriately, following these restrictions:

• No see-through clothing
  • Tops must cover the shoulders
  • No plunging necklines or exposed backs or bellies
  • Shorts and skirts must come down to at least mid-thigh
  • Visitors will not be allowed to enter with special clothing to celebrate any sort of festivities, nor with any decorations designed to distract or draw attention for artistic, religious, promotional or any other purposes.

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/rules-and-regulations/

From their website:

Visitors may not enter barefoot.

As it is a Catholic church, visitors must dress appropriately, following these restrictions:

• No see-through clothing
  • Tops must cover the shoulders
  • No plunging necklines or exposed backs or bellies
  • Shorts and skirts must come down to at least mid-thigh
  • Visitors will not be allowed to enter with special clothing to celebrate any sort of festivities, nor with any decorations designed to distract or draw attention for artistic, religious, promotional or any other purposes.

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/rules-and-regulations/

Thanks for posting, but these restrictions aren't enforced at all.

With La Sagrada Familia I am curious as I thought the dress code was stricter in the area where mass was held in the base of the church. Less strict in the main part where most tourists visit.

It's interesting as I am not religious and I don't find it a problem to wear light weight, loose clothing covering shoulders and legs to show respect for others beliefs, whatever their religion. Maybe I am more used to the heat as I don't find I am any hotter in loose trousers then I am in shorts.

Thanks for posting, but these restrictions aren't enforced at all.

You might have been lucky. Perhaps the day the OP visits they will be enforced. It would be a shame to get all the way there and be turned away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's many years since I last visited the Sagrada Familia, but not too long ago we were at the cathedral in Barcelona. They were stopping both men and women they considered inappropriately dressed.

As a woman I find floaty skirts much cooler than trousers in summertime. Men can wear cotton long trousers and normal T Shirt or even those awful trousers that you can zip off the legs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's many years since I last visited the Sagrada Familia, but not too long ago we were at the cathedral in Barcelona. They were stopping both men and women they considered inappropriately dressed.

As a woman I find floaty skirts much cooler than trousers in summertime. Men can wear cotton long trousers and normal T Shirt or even those awful trousers that you can zip off the legs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The question the OP asked was specific to Sagrada Familia .... at Barcelona Cathedral it is enforced.

We are in Barcelona now and visited the cathedral yesterday. I saw hundreds of people in shorts, including myself. As others have said, be respectful. Mass was taking place. Bottom line, use common sense and if wearing shorts, dress tastefully.