Have more than one cruise booked?

WCAB

I usually book a cruise a year but for the first time I have three cruises booked at one time. I recently lost my parents 29 days apart and just felt I needed a quick get away, so we booked a 5 day cruise out of Mobile. I had promised the kids we would visit them in California in December and I found a quick four day cruise that allows me to take two grandkids, for less then we would pay for a hotel for those days and then my sister, who would have to go solo, asked if my husband and I would go next September on a 10 day of the Southern Caribbean.

It really is kind of heady having this many cruises to look forward to but I am sure there are some that always have more than one cruise booked at a time.

The future cruise credit did come in handy as the 10 day will be on Princess.

Does this count? I have only one cruise booked currently, but I have a flight for another booked, just waiting to see the price come down for the cruise, and then I will book it.

MIke

Well it looks like I have plenty of company. I am a bit nervous with the three I have planned because of the little guy up in my left hand corner. He is 13 and did not do well last time I boarded him. He got sick while I was gone and I had a $900.00 vet bill when I came back. Our trip in September, my sister will come by and she knows his routine. I am looking to maybe find a pet sitter for the last two. You see, I am longing to travel but do not want to cause my little friend any grief.

Carol

Pet sitters work very well. We have a regular sitter move in and look after them and they love him. He actually likes living in our home and he's very dependable and responsible, we've been using him for years now. All of our neighbours and friends always tell us on our return seeing them being walked and at the park. If you get the right person it's like a holiday for them too and ease of mind for you. I don't like pet camps either, we only did that once. Good luck.

Anthony

Does this count? I have only one cruise booked currently, but I have a flight for another booked, just waiting to see the price come down for the cruise, and then I will book it.

MIke

Sure, I would say so. I have just the opposite for my December cruise. I am waiting until tomorrow night to check airline rates because I am told that Tuesday evening is when the airlines have their lowest rates.

Pet sitters work very well. We have a regular sitter move in and look after them and they love him. He actually likes living in our home and he's very dependable and responsible, we've been using him for years now. All of our neighbours and friends always tell us on our return seeing them being walked and at the park. If you get the right person it's like a holiday for them too and ease of mind for you. I don't like pet camps either, we only did that once. Good luck.

Anthony

This sounds like the way to go.

I currently have two booked - X next month to Alaska and Princess to the Caribbean in November. I'm looking at RCCL for December 2010 for the Med,(because it goes to Egypt and has an itinerary with only 1 repeat port for us.) I would book it tomorrow if I could convince myself that I will enjoy the Med in December.

Happy sailing! Just booked our third cruise for this year! Most unusual but could't beat the prices.

Sorry to hear about your parents, the cruise should create many happy new memories to deal with your grief.

Life is to short, grab the gusto and sail!

Dumber question but don't you miss special events, your bed, shower, and most important sitting on your own 'thrown'. We don't cruise excessively but vacation a lot. I am always missing something while I am gone or can't wait to be back in the comfort of my home, even my kitchen.

I don't think this is a dumb question at all. I just think some people are more "homebodies" than others. I can be gone for months at a time before I begin to miss anyone, much less anything. The last time I was out of the country was for two months and the only thing from home I wanted was my beloved red convertible -- it was summertime, and all I kept thinking was how many top-down driving days I was missing! My own bed, my own shower, kitchen -- I'm really never looking forward to being back with them, as almost anywhere else is more exciting than home to me. If I could fit my convertible into my suitcase, I'd probably hit the road permanently!

We did it:D

Congratulations!

For quite a while I had one booked, then I had a second one and before I knew it there are now three booked! I am overwhelmed with all the planning....NOT! If I don't have at least one on the books, I get really sad:(.

PIA and YY I am going to be just like you one day! but first there's this issue with working for a living that has to be rectified.

i also feel the need to respond, or justify it and it makes me snaky! sometimes i think i need to come up with a snappy response that isn't rude, but stops them from being so judgemental. then i think, well its their problem, i'm happy with my decisions and the bills are paid, what's it to them? i need to let it go, i'll be on a cruise soon!

What drives me nuts are all the people who think you're rich because you travel/cruise, especially stepkids who are over 30 yrs of age and think you should be helping them out...my response, we didn't go in debt to buy a

$ 50,000 truck!

The people who make these comments are normally people who have credit card debt up to their ears, 2nd mortgages on homes, new boat and 2 brand new cars (with payments). We don't live that way. Our cars are over 10 years old, we pay off our credit cards every month and our house is almost paid for...not over-mortgaged. I am not a shopper. And when I do shop, I go for the bargains. I need adventures, not designer clothes and handbags.

Five years ago we started planning financially for travel around the world because we prefer Life Experiences over Luxury Living. I want to have wonderful memories, when I'm too old to do anything, but sit in a chair.

I love this website because I don't have to feel uncomfortable talking about my passion for travel. Where we live so many people are very provincial. Many will never go farther than Orlando, much less leave the state or even the country.

Even my brother gets jealous that we travel so much. I try to avoid telling people way in advance and some not at all. My husband's family have all judged us and consider us to be "snobs" for no other reason than we like to travel often. It's really sad how people can judge so easily...they are ignorant.

Lauren

Dumber question but don't you miss special events, your bed, shower, and most important sitting on your own 'thrown'. We don't cruise excessively but vacation a lot. I am always missing something while I am gone or can't wait to be back in the comfort of my home, even my kitchen.

Although we now have 7 booked through February 2011, I will NOT be gone from home for any reason if it causes me to miss special events, which, in my case are largely special events in the lives of those I love. I just yesterday turned down the opportunity to take my first HAL cruise (which I very much want to do) because I would miss the birthday party of 6 year old twins. Maybe I'm silly, but obviously I cruise quite a bit. It won't hurt me to miss out on one of them.

What drives me nuts are all the people who think you're rich because you travel/cruise, especially stepkids who are over 30 yrs of age and think you should be helping them out...my response, we didn't go in debt to buy a

$ 50,000 truck!

The people who make these comments are normally people who have credit card debt up to their ears, 2nd mortgages on homes, new boat and 2 brand new cars (with payments). We don't live that way. Our cars are over 10 years old, we pay off our credit cards every month and our house is almost paid for...not over-mortgaged. I am not a shopper. And when I do shop, I go for the bargains. I need adventures, not designer clothes and handbags.

Five years ago we started planning financially for travel around the world because we prefer Life Experiences over Luxury Living. I want to have wonderful memories, when I'm too old to do anything, but sit in a chair.

I love this website because I don't have to feel uncomfortable talking about my passion for travel. Where we live so many people are very provincial. Many will never go farther than Orlando, much less leave the state or even the country.

Even my brother gets jealous that we travel so much. I try to avoid telling people way in advance and some not at all. My husband's family have all judged us and consider us to be "snobs" for no other reason than we like to travel often. It's really sad how people can judge so easily...they are ignorant.

Lauren

Oh Boy, did you say a mouthful. I agree, agree, agree. The only people we tell about our long range plans are those who travel a lot and you guys. Others really don't comprehend, nor do they want to. We come in contact with lots of people who think travelling is going to see their relatives in a another state. If that makes them happy....fine. It's just not enough for us.

$ 50,000 truck!

Lauren

Amen!!! I couldn't of said this better. When my DH and I got married (2nd for both of us) we made a pact that we didn't want to get bogged down with things and wanted to travel. So we started early on saving money so we could retire early and travel. We have gotten so much flack from friends and family that we too avoid telling most of them. 99% of them never travel or they think going to La Vegas for a weekend is a big vacation. We stay low key and do our own thing, which really bugs some people.

This site is really great as you feel your are among kindred spirits. Lisa

This is a great thread. It's amazing how much money you can save if you don't go out for dinner & keep your cars for 10 years or more. I believe it's also a matter of what's most important to you...& cruising is considered a necessity in my life! :)

Pia, Proud of you - we only have two booked but are working on it!:D

Pensoul, You said it all!!:D

We don't get asked much any more, I keep telling the kids there are no pockets in shrouds so we will enjoy when we can for as long as we can!!

Ted

We have 2 booked as of today. Let the vehicles drive till they die!!!

Christapie

Thanks for tolerating

my vent. I'm better now. :D Yes, I do believe in keeping my vehicle until it dies...but that takes a loooong time cuz I'm a stickler for getting oil lube jobs and annual maintenance on my car. I'm one of those anal people that actually follows the maintenance schedule in my car manual. But I just believe in taking care of what you have. I've never merged with the "throwaway societal thinking".

My husband is a Residential Contractor...not the best profession for this economy, but we did start to liquidate some of our investments 3 years ago and then, of course, the bottom dropped out of the real estate market, before we could see all of our properties. So our trip around the world plans are on hold.

We do land travel, also and I love doing the research (when you educate yourself on your destination, it just really enhances the whole vacation). We like to rent a house/apartment in the area and rent a car. This allows us to embrace and experience the culture and blend in with the locals.

We are doing a 30 day South American cruise Nov. 22 w/Princess because of safety issues in South America. The areas that are not as safe to go on your own, I prefer cruising to and using Private Guides, if possible. The safer areas, we prefer overland travel. I can handle areas prone to pickpockets, but muggings/robbings by knife/gun and kidnapping are not worth the risks to me. The thing is...when you do a lot of research, you get a real grasp on which places are safe or not. Guess I'm into SAFE Adventure Travel.

We do cruising to cover island areas/hard to get to areas and unsafe areas...like the South Pacific/Greece/Egypt/Africa/fijords. It's great to mix cruises with pre/post extended stays. I'm crazy about fijords :o (I know, kinda strange) and my goal is to be able to say I've been on every continent--a lofty one, I know.

I love this website...learning from those who have done more and know more. I never understand why the people in our life can't respond to our travels with that kind of attitude. Sigh. But, I guess that's what I have all of you wonderful folks for. :)

Yep, I also choose to do without a lot of things most people "have" to have. At work, I bring my lunch every day while my peers choose to go out and spend $10 - $20 a day for lunch!!! :eek: That's almost $400 a month just to eat lunch! No telling what they do for eating dinner. We may go out once a month for lunch or dinner and it's to Sweet Tomatoes with a coupon.

Yes, these are the same people that don't understand how we have so much money to take "all those cruises".

We also live in a small house but we both have cars that we bought two years ago but I'm planning on driving this one forever!

It's so much fun to be able to talk about all of our cruises without people thinking we are bragging. I love to talk about where I've been and all of the places I still want to visit. I love to discuss the ships, the food, the entertainment, the private tours and the ones from the ship. This is a very addictive place to visit!

Yep, I also choose to do without a lot of things most people "have" to have. At work, I bring my lunch every day while my peers choose to go out and spend $10 - $20 a day for lunch!!! :eek: That's almost $400 a month just to eat lunch! No telling what they do for eating dinner. We may go out once a month for lunch or dinner and it's to Sweet Tomatoes with a coupon.

Yes, these are the same people that don't understand how we have so much money to take "all those cruises".

We also live in a small house but we both have cars that we bought two years ago but I'm planning on driving this one forever!

We are almost neighbors! You're in Orlando and we are near New Smyrna Beach. I guess great minds...live alike???? ;)

From reading these posts, it would seem that we all like to live BASICALLY, just so we can indulge in rocking and rolling on the blue stuff ;) I have the max countdown clocks showing but I actually have 4 more booked so that we have 9 from next month to feb 2011. They all vary in price and cabins - as long as I am onboard, I'm stoked :)

yes, pensoul we are neighbors! you're much closer to the ocean than I am though.

I think I'll head over to the coast this Friday evening and watch the ships leave port. Maybe have a drink at Grills and wave as the ships pass by!

We currently have 5 booked thru 2010, going on either 3 or 4 we are still deciding. We are going on the Independence of the Seas in December but at this point not sure which date, we may tack on the 3 night Ruby Pincess sailing in December. Going on the Liberty of the Seas with family in Feb and planning on taking the Oasis at the end of 2010-:)

Archived