Princess Buffet Food ?

JamesOceanVillage

I'd say I'm a pretty imformal cruiser. Princess has spoiled me. I don't like have to get ready (casual or not), wait in line, sit for 90+ minutes for dinner and eat. I like to go as I am, get to see what is available ahead of time, pick and choose, and take what I want. I love just making a big salad sometimes. The food is pretty good, although quality seems to vary from ship to ship. On my last cruise, I ate all my dinners in the buffet and they treated me well. I love the option. The buffets on Princess have really improved over what they were several years back. I can eat there and be perfectly happy and I still have the whole evening to do what I want.

Thank you All very much, So would u recomend a Imformal cruiser to Princess ??? Also is it the same food ever night ??

No the choices change each night, different soup, meat etc. They will be similar to the dishes in the dining room.

Hi There,

Princess is not Cunard or P&O come to that do not worry you will fit in,

the Sea will have more Brits than other Princess ships, you will see the

food is a bit more British, you can get a full English for breakfast if you

want.

yours Shogun

The food at the buffet varies every night, and if you like informal cruising, you can make it that way by avoiding the dining room. I like the buffet because sometimes the dining room dinners take too long than I feel like, and I like to try small amounts of different foods. I don't eat dessert or drink coffee, so I don't like to sit with others and feel rude about leaving the table early, but sometimes we go to the dining room and get a table for 2.

The buffet food is pretty good, but the thing that I don't like about the Horizontal Court is having to eat laying down.....and crawling in a lineup is hard on the knees. Don't you just hate having to drink using the corner of your mouth?....and reaching that shrimp sauce is sometimes just too difficult.

Sitting upright in the dining room (unless one suffers from vertigo) is much more comfortable, and easier on the digestive system.

I sure hope you are not making fun of the OP mistake

I have found Princess' buffet food to be tasty, and there is always a nice variety. No danger of having to eat the same food every day. I like to take just enough of multiple items for a couple of bites of each so I can sample a lot of different things.

Lol I would rather have Americans than the Brits on are ship lol Thanks for all your hel very apriecated :D one last hing on smart casual nights what would the dress code be?

I wear capris/top and my husband wears chinos/polo type collared shirt.

I am always surprised when people say that Princess' buffet food is much better than other cruise lines. To me the buffet food isn't very good and surprised that other ship's buffet is worse than that!

I was very proud of myself that on a recent cruise on the Ruby I only ate in the Buffet once. That was all meals, not just dinner. I wouldn't think of eating dinner in the buffet. I don't think the dining room is stuffy and they do have the "comfort classics" if you think the meals are too fru fru. While the descriptions sounds like "fine dining", I think the meal you get is pretty down to earth.

But that's the great thing about cruising. Everyone likes different things and the cruise ship accomodates all!

Sox Fan, I'm with you! We had lunch in the buffet the day we boarded. I had a hard time finding things to eat - partly cuz of allergy issues and, of course, personal tastes. I'm not a huge fan of buffets anyway.

After that first day, I had breakfast there twice (loved the waffles) and had a late night snack there every night - rolls, breadsticks, desserts and fresh pineapple...loved having fresh pineapple every night! All other meals were eaten in the MDR (breakfast/lunch) or the Savoy (dinner). Never had a bad meal the whole time!

Mmmm, hmmm. I'm with Sox and Wows . . . I don't like buffets at all (whether vertical or horizontal) -- not even on land. They go against my #1 rule: don't do myself what someone else can do for me. Why should I have to shlep my own plate, and keep jumping up to fetch three courses, and grind pepper over my own food, when there are friendly waiters downstairs just waiting to handle all that for me?! And I prefer to select my food based on a written menu description, not by squinting at a serving pan, trying to figure out what the dish is and what unpleasant surprise unnamed ingredient might be lurking in it.

Mmmm, hmmm. I'm with Sox and Wows . . . I don't like buffets at all (whether vertical or horizontal) -- not even on land. They go against my #1 rule: don't do myself what someone else can do for me. Why should I have to shlep my own plate, and keep jumping up to fetch three courses, and grind pepper over my own food, when there are friendly waiters downstairs just waiting to handle all that for me?! And I prefer to select my food based on a written menu description, not by squinting at a serving pan, trying to figure out what the dish is and what unpleasant surprise unnamed ingredient might be lurking in it.

I might need you on my next cruise to help me figure out the menu:p

I have cooked and ordered food all my life. Never before have I seen so many items I could not recognize. No matter what I ordered I wasn't sure what was going to show up on my plate, except for the prime rib. I ate it and was not sure what it was. I like my menu to say chicken, look like chicken and taste like chicken. Up until Princess, I would not consider the buffet an option for dinner on a cruise. When DH did a back flip (not a pretty sight:D) when I suggested the buffet I knew we just turned a page. I am fighting battle of the bulge so I need to know exactly what caused the bulge. Maybe I am learning I can do for myself better and have more fun at it. If I am going to wait, I want it to be good and flavorful. The rum and raisin ice cream had no rum........evil :-)

Of all the cruises I have been on, I would have to say Princess Buffet is by far the best. Carnival has very limited and closed down early. On RCCL I was always trying to figure out what the food was. On Princess I enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I had a couple of late night snacks and saw some good food at lunch. I am not a buffet eater but on Princess I was pleasantly surprised by the good food and service at the buffet.

The buffet food is pretty good, but the thing that I don't like about the Horizontal Court is having to eat laying down.....and crawling in a lineup is hard on the knees. Don't you just hate having to drink using the corner of your mouth?....and reaching that shrimp sauce is sometimes just too difficult.

Sitting upright in the dining room (unless one suffers from vertigo) is much more comfortable, and easier on the digestive system.

you are so funny. I had to re-read your post and the other ones a couple of times to get what you were saying. Finally got it. Very funny

I am not sure how different the areas are:

Be careful with the buffet, once you go buf you may never go back.

2416636130101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2300824130101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2361545580101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2080336650101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2393905610101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2929826200101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks,

My next cruise will be the first time on Princess.

David

Hi (Again):rolleyes:, I was just wondering if u was a casual dinner would u eat at the buffet every day also has anyone got any pictures of the Horizontal Court of Sea Princess,

Thanks Very Very Much,

James.

In short James the answer to your first question is YES, very easily, and a lot do it.

The variety and quality are exceptional when compared to what you find in on shore eating places.

The odd person may complain about things not being hot enough but some of that is related to safety concerns on a ship. The stability of some people walking around a rolling ship incapacitated or half blind with a boiling hot plate of hot food is one thing crusie lines have to consider especially with the sue happy culture these days.

The odd person may complain about it because they usually have "caviar and watercress sandwiches" at home for brunch (not likely, but they think it sounds impressive). Read between the lines here like you should with any forum and you will see the general consensus is the same.

As to what "gown"? you wear and how many times you change it may not affect the menu, depends i suppose :rolleyes:.

BTW.. Horizon or Horizontal Court bread rolls are delicious...!!!

Do yourself a favour and try the dining room, you will go back I promise.

In general the only problem with the food is that it is too good and you eat too much:D. You must do many laps of the deck each day otherwise you will expand.. burp!! :D:D:D

Have a great cruise.

Perhaps my taste buds work differently than some. I find the buffet food to be pretty bland for the most part. About the only time I eat there is when there isn't really another choice.

I really enjoy the dining room. I like frou-frou food that's prettily served. And there certainly isn't much on the Princess menu that I don't recognize and that isn't served at one or another of the mid-price level restaurants I eat out at in my city.

I think Princess does a particularly good job with souffles (I'll eat pretty much anything souffled....:D) and fish. I'm always surprised how many don't like fish -- I guess a lot of folks didn't grow up eating it?

Unfortunately, I've noticed the Princess menus have been "simplified" a lot over the years. There used to be a number of delicious classic French dishes offered, as well as some great Italian dishes (not just pasta). I suppose that's partly due to cost-cutting and also to less-sophisticated palates.....:(

Thank you All very much, So would u recomend a Imformal cruiser to Princess ??? Also is it the same food ever night ??

Yes, I would James.

On most nights, the Main Dinning Room dress is "Smart Casual", which is easy. I wear slacks such as "dockers", dressy shoes, and nice polo shirts. Darker colors look dressier. Most polo shirts can also be worn with shorts, so they do double duty. Formal nights, are infrequent, I just go to the buffet, or sometimes eat Pizza or burgers, as I don't eat them that much during the day.

Sometimes, like on a hot cruise, I don't even feel like doing "Smart Casual" and go to the buffet literally every night. It's always different. I actually prefer the atmosphere to the Main dining room, in that the view is much better with solid walls of ceiling to floor glass windows. It's very elegant decor for a buffet. On formal nights, while the dress is not formal, the menu is usually a step up in elegance (although generally not lobster). The only drawback for me, is like someone said, sometimes the food could be hotter. But to be fair, it is sometimes not hot enough in the main dining room as well.

Unlike the majority, I usually eat lunch in the Main Dining room. Lunch and breakfast in the Main Dinning room only require "casual" dress, as in short and tee shirt are ok, but no swimwear. Lunch has all the courses one expects at dinner time, and can be virtually a "dinner" if one wants to make it that.

I fully respect the formal nights and don't fuss about not being able to go to the dining Room on those nights. I'm glad formal is still available for those that enjoy it. I've always felt comfortable having my "casual cruise" without breaking any dress codes. It's easy.

I hope this helps.

This I like: omelet made to order with ham, bacon, sausage, onions and tomatoes

Biscuit and gravy, corn beef hash, bacon, French toast, fresh salsa, salmon

I have enjoyed the MDR on 8 other cruises (6 RCCL and 2 Carnival)

plus dining experience at resorts like Sandals with award winning chefs. For the price I need the meal and the appropriate palate to enjoy it:p

Bacon can't be bland so when you add it to anything it makes it better:D

2136331610101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Beef shank in gravy not sauce, yummy mashed potato, fried fish (of some kind) rice with every meal when possible, plus some sweet fried cream filled entrée. Try the cookies even if you don't like cookies. Don't forget to try some fresh fruit and a cup of tasty soup. I am a dinner buffet convert.

2882013360101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

I am an elite Princess member and think that the Horizon Court is terrible. I love the MDR. On the Star in June, my DM, DD and I had a 3 top. Dinner was less than an hour every night. I also sail HAL and think their buffet is great and hate their MDR. It all comes down to taste and preference. If youare lucky enough to sail on a a Princess ship with a real pizzeria that is my favorite place of all to eat. On my last cruise I was lucky enoughto be able to eat in Sabitin's for breakfast, thus reenforcing my disdain forHorizon Court.

I tend to be picky, too, which is why we steer toward the buffets. Our first Princess cruise will be next year. I am hoping for a good buffet of variety. I was sorely disappointed in the selection on HALs, as the fruit seemed to mainly be grapefruit and prunes. The raisin bowl was very small and rarely replenished. On RCI, the selections were superior to HALs. I am hoping the same for Princess. I am sure their dining rooms will be lovely - and you can bet we will be seated in there for at least one formal night and couple smart casuals nights.

This I like: omelet made to order with ham, bacon, sausage, onions and tomatoes

Biscuit and gravy, corn beef hash, bacon, French toast, fresh salsa, salmon

I have enjoyed the MDR on 8 other cruises (6 RCCL and 2 Carnival)

plus dining experience at resorts like Sandals with award winning chefs. For the price I need the meal and the appropriate palate to enjoy it:p

Bacon can't be bland so when you add it to anything it makes it better:D

2136331610101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Beef shank in gravy not sauce, yummy mashed potato, fried fish (of some kind) rice with every meal when possible, plus some sweet fried cream filled entrée. Try the cookies even if you don't like cookies. Don't forget to try some fresh fruit and a cup of tasty soup. I am a dinner buffet convert.

2882013360101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Looks like a whole lotta meat, carbs, and fried food to me.....not my "cup of tea" at all.

It's good that Princess has choices for everyone.

Archived