Alaska in 27 days...they moved us out of Captain Cook Hotel!!!

DJM

I am not really happy about this. This is our first Princess cruise and first to Alaska. We are arriving the night before and were scheduled to be at the Captain Cook (#3 TripAdvisor) which I understand is very nice. We have been moved to Anchorage Hilton (#16).

I have called Princess and they have offered $50 onboard credit but somehow I feel this is not equal compensation.

Have any of you had this happen before? Any positive comments about the Hilton to make me feel better? :>(

Still excited about our cruise but a bit of a damper...

Thanks to all.

Not really a big deal...you will only be there one night, maybe 12 hours...go with the flow and enjoy your cruise.....;). It's not like they moved you to the Howard Johnson...

I think it was pretty generous they gave you Obc....

Edited by hillslife

I have stayed at Hilton many times. Good location, nice rooms. You can walk to many places to eat; plus there is a mall right up the street; in case you forgot to pack something. If you have anymore questions let me know. Cheers

We stayed at the Hilton with Holland America, it was perfectly fine. Neither hotel provides an over-the-top luxury experience; it's Alaska. But they both work fine for a pre-cruise overnight and are accustomed to large groups. It might help to think of it this way; Captain Cook apparently just informed Princess that they could not accommodate the pre-planned group, so the Hilton did. Consider the $50 a bonus as the two are quite similar in location and rooms.

I agree with previous responses. Captain Hook probably told Princess, not the other way around. We were there for such a short period of time, and never even ate at the hotel. (so many local places to try) The Hilton is also very nice. Take the $50.00 and enjoy it!! Don't let this hamper your Princess cruise experience to Alaska. It is beautiful--we are heading back for our 5th time in 2017.

While the TA rating is different you are not going to find that much variance. The Hilton is probably a little more generic, but its still a fine hotel. There are worse places they could have moved to.

I've stayed at the Captain Cook twice and to me it's not that special. The decor is harvest gold and dark brown and not that really appealing to me. Stayed there back in 89 and again 3 years ago - still looked the same to me. I think I'd prefer the Hilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only advantage that I found with the Captain Cook was the view from the restaurant on the top floor (was closed on Sunday when I was there). But anyone can go an eat there.

As others have already said this should not be a problem at all. Why worry about something you have no control over especially when it is with an organization that provides great places for their customers to stay. If it had been a switch to MooseCall Hide Away or the Bear Drop Inn then you might have a complaint. Enjoy your first Alaskan cruise and please let the small stuff take care of itself.

The only thing particularly special about the Captain Cook is the view from the top floor in the restaurant and frankly you can do that without having to be a guest there ... or even eating there. Even the view can be kinda so-so given that you are looking at and down at the utility areas of the surrounding buildings. LOL

I'd take the OBC and run with it.

As others have already said this should not be a problem at all. Why worry about something you have no control over especially when it is with an organization that provides great places for their customers to stay. If it had been a switch to Moose Call Hide Away or the Bear Drop Inn then you might have a complaint. Enjoy your first Alaskan cruise and please let the small stuff take care of itself.

We stayed at the Hilton and it was an ok room. We LOVED the location to walk everywhere for food/shopping and so forth. Beautiful view of mountains from the front door of the hotel! We took the train the next morning to our ship and could walk the block to the train station. Princess took our luggage via a truck right from the hotel. I think you will be happy there!

We booked the Captain Cook for the night before our land tour started - on May 27 just so that we didnt have to change hotels for the first night of the landtour. I would be cranky if this had happened to us.

But if it was our only night in Anchorage then it wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Pushka

I am not really happy about this. This is our first Princess cruise and first to Alaska. We are arriving the night before and were scheduled to be at the Captain Cook (#3 TripAdvisor) which I understand is very nice. We have been moved to Anchorage Hilton (#16).

I have called Princess and they have offered $50 onboard credit but somehow I feel this is not equal compensation.

Have any of you had this happen before? Any positive comments about the Hilton to make me feel better? :>(

Still excited about our cruise but a bit of a damper...

Thanks to all.

I hear this happens in Fairbanks too.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

I guess "cranky" was a good way to describe it....but all of you made me feel sooo much better about it!

Good location, close to train, perfectly fine rooms, drinks on Princess with our OBC--what more could we ask for?!

Duh, yes we are going on a beautiful cruise to Alaska! :D

Again, thanks for the "tude adjustment"

We did like the artwork in the Captain Cook hotel, but it is a few blocks farther from the mall than the Hilton. We didn't even know we were staying there until we got our room package on the train.

The Hilton is fine and centrally located for easy walking downtown. You'll be fine. It was nice they at least gave you some credit. Though the Captain Cook gives a more Alaskan experience, the Hilton has a better breakfast IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Captain Hook probably told Princess, not the other way around.

LOL, I kept mis-reading the posts as Captain Hook as well.

Maybe it's better to be at the Hilton as otherwise the crocodile who swallowed the clock will keep you awake all night.

Edited by beg3yrs