U.S. Posts New Warning About Travel to Mexico

CruiserTarheel

Yep; hope this won't affect my Mayan Mystique cruise in December.

Some people treat these warnings as law; I've travelled widely in several countries when they were on the travel list, including Morocco and Jordan and Istanbul of course without a hint of danger, got lost in Istanbul last September and ended up in front of a mosque in a non-tourist area during a religious event and demonstration of some kind - no stress. Oaxaca was on the list due to a teacher strike met with great violence: we had a great time.

We live in Chicago suburbs and some will not go into the City or take public transportation out of fear; I suspect they'd be happier in a fully gated community.

Maybe we've been lucky but the number of tourists killed or injured in random or organized acts of violence just don't rise to the level where I intend to be governed by them.

The French have some interesting travel warnings for US cities ( including Chicago of course) : don't travel by foot in Richmond, Virginia (!).

:rolleyes:

That is something I wouldn't worry about it, you just need common sense. You'll be on a cruise so if their is a problem in one port you'll get that information again of time or before you dock.

Greetings from South Beach, ronrick. You are right about receiving information about ports from the travel office on board. Plus, IMO, today, with terrorism and political instability the new reality, the State Department is bending over backwards to avoid the Lockerbie effect and its like. Then only US personnel had been warned about possible air terrorism. Very bad PR, that one.

Taking reasonable care and using common sense is a pretty good travel formula. It pays to do a bit of research about places you are visiting, also. We have seen people visiting mosques argue about taking their shoes off before entering.

Mary

Mary, I find that hard to believe -- that people would argue about removing their shoes before entering a mosque! Have they done no research about dress rules, etc.? I guess so!

I guess the Ugly American is still around ... (although perhaps the people you saw were not Americans. I'd like to think so.)

On my first trip to Europe (with my sister) in 1970 we were doing a tour of the Schoenbrun Palace in Vienna. Someone turned off the lights when we entered a room. The guide told whoever had done so to turn them back on.

The guilty party -- an American -- immediately turned around and lectured everyone else. But we all knew he'd been the culprit.

Mura

Six tourists were killed three weeks ago on the beach in Cabo at The One and Only Palmilla. Very upscale hotel. I question going to Mexico.

The shooting(three were killed, two wounded per what I've read) took place on the public beach, Playa Palmilla, not on the grounds of The One and Only Palmilla resort itself.

My sister and brother-in-law have stayed at One and Only several times. I'm going to ask her if the situation will deter her from going there again.

We have two port calls in Mexico, Cozumel and Costa Maya, on an upcoming cruise on Marina, and I'm now wondering if we'll even get off the ship. We visited Acapulco on Insignia earlier this year, and I'll never get off a ship there again. The city was an armed camp.

When I was in junior high and high school (middle school didn't exist back then as far as I know, I certainly never heard that term until relatively recently) we would drive down from L.A. to a cottage resort just outside of Ensenada twice a year, for two weeks at a time. It was quiet and peaceful. The summer before my 11th birthday we drove down to Mexico City and spent the summer in Mexico. It helped that my parents had friends living and working there.

I wouldn't do that now, I don't think.

We were in Cozumel a few years ago on an Oceania cruise and took a private "food tour" that was just delightful. I don't know that we'd do that now either.

It's a pity.

Six tourists were killed three weeks ago on the beach in Cabo at The One and Only Palmilla. Very upscale hotel. I question going to Mexico.

Not true!! They were not tourists! They were mexican drug cartel or gang members!. This was at our favorite beach in Cabo Palmilla!! You shouldn't post inaccurate info here This just hurts the tourism in mexico for no reason.

Please use caution when reading the comments in this thread. The info is inaccurate! Tourists have not been killed or targeted in Cabo!! The cartels are using violence against each other! As far as the palmilla beach incident the people killed were either Cartel members or gang members They were in or close to the parking lot! My daughter and grandson live in Cabo part of the year, they have never felt endangered or threatened!!