Anyone unknowingly board a themed cruise or even big group cruise?? Do tell! LOL

RCLcruiser2012

Once with a quincineara group ......... Quince. Let's face it - a gaggle of preteen and teen girls running and screeching and giggling is not the most relaxing way to spend a vacation.

We did the Allure with one of those.

I pretty much got a kick out of it, funny stuff.

To say the least, quite memorable.:rolleyes:

A number of years ago, Explorer of the Seas, Bayonne to Bermuda and Caribbean, we had a biker group of about 50. The brought their bikes, and they took them off the ship and onto some of the islands.

They turned out to be a pretty fun group.

While researching cruises to make sure my family doesn't book a themed cruise the thought crossed my mind....:')

Many years ago on a NCL cruise we found that it was a country western themed cruise... all entertainment on board was cw ... we are not big fans of this type of music...was a bit of a disappointment, met Mickey Giley... who was the star entertainer on board, very nice man.

Another time on HAL, we found ourselves on a cruise with medical folks attending a conference on board... the MDR was empty every night which was great, very quiet until the last night... then everyone was hanging out at each others tables because they had spend so much time together all week... we wished we had skipped the MDR the last night... too noisy and not a great experience for us.

We were looking into booking Freedom of the Seas 2017 westbound transatlantic from Barcelona. Found out that a gay group had reserved 600 cabins hoping to have 1200 on the cruise. Nowhere on the RCCL website does it say a large group had planned a party cruise. Nothing against gays but 1200 for 15 days is not for us. We are now on the Independence TA with just a bunch of old people like us. happy cruising

FotS has passenger capacity of over 3600. . . so more than 2/3rds of the passengers would *not* have been with this group -- who likely are booking parties in the nightclubs that you wouldn't have been going to anyways (since you wanna be with "just a bunch of old people like us").

Honestly, you erred here, in my opinion, as I can pretty much guarantee you most of this group will be doing other things at the same time as the evening shows -- opening up capacity to make the cruise BETTER for you.

(and I also feel pretty "safe" in saying that any of the group that did attend the average ship activities (such as trivia, or the Love and Marriage game, or the Promenade Parties), they tend to make those things way more exciting.

but whatever floats your boat. . .

I've never (so far as I know) been on a trip with a big group, but I was once on a 2 week cruise that included two Amish couples. The men wore long beards and hats and all four people wore traditional Amish style clothing--very modest, dark colors, jackets on the men and white aprons on the women. I couldn't help but wonder if they refused to turn on the lights in their cabins! I am assuming that they were actually Mennonites, who dress similarly but are a bit more modern.

I actually experienced this myself. On a Royal Caribbean sailing to Belize and Honduras. There was actually a large-ish number of them, maybe 5 families. We saw the adults at the different shows at night and one of them even had an iPhone.

Wiki has an entire article about Mennonites living in South America and Central America including one specifically for Belize https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Belize

We go to Disneyland a lot. For all the times we've gone you would think we would have known about "gay day". They all wear red shirts. So we go and my SIL is wearing a red shirt. That was about 5 years ago and we still laugh when we go and make sure we aren't wearing red. Then one year I did. Some day the joke will be over but I doubt it LOL. The only time is bothered me was this: Disneyland is a family event. Gay day and there is this couple kissing - deep dish kissing. Holding on to the others a** and b**bs. My DD had to hold me back. If you want to have sex on an outing Disneyland is really not the place to take it. Worse, they were at the entry way where you went left or right and were doing this right in the middle.

A hug here, a kiss there. Fine but keep the over the top to yourself. My DD once had a boyfriend that thought he was hot stuff. We were in the family room and he pulls her over and sticks his tongue so far down her throat I thought it would come out her toes. So after he leaves I tell her that if she ever does that again I am taking her upstairs and she will sit and watch her dad and I have sex. She was appalled that I would say such a thing. I said, if I have to watch you do sexual things I think it is only fair that you watch me. She has been married almost 13 years and to this day she barely kisses her DH in public.

I don't care about what you do in your bedroom as long as it it legal and between two (or more) consenting adults. I don't even want to think about what some people look naked and I bet they feel the same way about me. I don't need you to come out of the closet and I don't care if you stay in it or were never in it. Not my business.

I should never have to explain to my 4 YO why that guy is sticking his hand up that woman's whoha in the middle of Disneyland.

Before I get any gay comments, my son, nephew, 2 other nephews (on inlaw side) and tons of friends are gay. Love everyone of them. Gay is their sexuality not who there are.

My kudos to you for framing this up so well, I agree completely! That was a perfect thing to say to the Daughter to get her to understand your viewpoint. I fully support each and every community, whether straight, gay, bi, when your behavior is lewd, crude or over PG-13 at a place with young familes, it is completely unacceptable. It's good to be proud of who you are, however if you don't respect others, don't expect them to respect you.

I was in Orlando on Disney property for a business meeting that just happened to coincide with gay convention that was almost over at the hotel our conference was at. The pool area and lobby area was overrun by people parading around with leather collars, deep kissing / making out, groping and such. I was happy that my family wasn't there, but there were many families still around.

Not sure how this becomes a "gay" thing, as I don't care if the behavior was done by a heterosexual, homosexual, transgender, etc.. Go ahead, hold hands, kiss lightly, hug, laugh love, but have the common decency to have a bit of class and act as if you aren't a repressed ape.

About 5 yrs ago we were on the "Millennium" and there was a group of over 400 from some organization. It was great, as during the day they were all at meetings and conferences in the main theater and NOT at the pool. The all dined in one area of the dining room together, which had no impact on other passengers and only one evening was one lounge reserved for their private party. Didn't really have any impact other than, like I said, there were 400 less people vying for loungers during the day out on deck.

I've never (so far as I know) been on a trip with a big group, but I was once on a 2 week cruise that included two Amish couples. The men wore long beards and hats and all four people wore traditional Amish style clothing--very modest, dark colors, jackets on the men and white aprons on the women. I couldn't help but wonder if they refused to turn on the lights in their cabins! I am assuming that they were actually Mennonites, who dress similarly but are a bit more modern.

Various Amish communities set their own rules as to what's acceptable. As far as lights in the cabin goes, while they probably didn't have electricity in their home it's acceptable to use it if they are staying some place that already has it. Same with the elevators. And Amish businesses will use phones and even computers because they know they have to be able to compete.

We booked a cruise not knowing that there was a group of democrats/liberals on board giving lectures and campaigning advice. I don't really care which side of politics people are on but this caused every mixed tables discussion to devolve into who was good for America and who was bad for America. It made the cruise less enjoyable.

WE were in the Spinnaker Lounge for "Happy Hour".

Popped the cork for a pre-dinner buzz, just as a group of catholics moved in to hold a 5 pm mass.

They kinda moved in around us. (Evidently there were too many of them to have their event in the chapel.)

So when they were all saying "peace be with you", we joined in by clinking our wine glasses.

It did not make the cruise less enjoyable.

Diversity is good for the USA .

Edited by $hip$hape

Omg I'm dying[emoji23] this has been the best subject.

We ended up on a marathon cruise once. They had a treadmill in the promenade someone ran on at all times for like a week. People took turns and at one of the ports they all went running. Didn't really affect us but it was fun to get a slice [emoji487] and walk by while they ran to make money for some charity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a cruise not knowing that there was a group of democrats/liberals on board giving lectures and campaigning advice. I don't really care which side of politics people are on but this caused every mixed tables discussion to devolve into who was good for America and who was bad for America. It made the cruise less enjoyable.

On the other hand, we almost booked a cruise that would have been at least half far right Republicans. It was either the Heritage Foundation or a Tea Party group. We decided that was not a group we wanted to sit with.

I prefer to be with a wide group and wouldn't want to be with any group that takes over half the ship.

Someone told me that they were on a ship that had a huge group of ballroom dancers. The group reserved several of the clubs that had big dance floors and therefore there wasn't nearly as much music available for everyone else. I'd have been upset.

I was on the Dream where a singles group of 400 were booked. They had some events in the lounge but otherwise I didn't notice any inconvenience. They all wore these bead necklaces with their first names to identify fellow group members. I wanted to tell them that the bead necklaces were not making them attractive to non group members since they looked like the ones babies used to wear home from the hospital.

We were on the Ruby Princess earlier this month, and noticed several older gentlemen with white hair and long white beards, most of them wearing red shirts of one kind or another. Then while touring the ship, we inadvertently walked in an on a large group of them in what sounded like a Santa prep rally, and we figured it out - we were on a Santa Cruise! Then the CD mentioned there was a group of 60+ Santas and friends on our cruise during the Wake Show. We were almost photo-bombed by one of the Santas during one of the photo sessions, so of course, we had to ask him to take a photo with us. The CD ended up putting together some Santa-themed contests in the Piazza on the last sea day. I have never seen it so packed in there - it was hard to find an open spot on the railing on any of the levels or stairs. The Santas really added a fun element to our cruise!

Sorry if this has been answered already....but how do you find out if there is large group on your cruise? We just got off a HAL cruise earlier this month, and apparently a large group of 1200 or so people were on the previous week's cruise, and this caused all sort of disruption in the dining room, theatre and other venues. The ship held about 2500 passengers. There was, according to a CC poster, friction between the group, other passengers and the staff. We are booked on an October RCL cruise(our first with RCL), and I would hate to have the dining room and theatre restricted without knowing in advance.

Sorry if this has been answered already....but how do you find out if there is large group on your cruise? We just got off a HAL cruise earlier this month, and apparently a large group of 1200 or so people were on the previous week's cruise, and this caused all sort of disruption in the dining room, theatre and other venues. The ship held about 2500 passengers. There was, according to a CC poster, friction between the group, other passengers and the staff. We are booked on an October RCL cruise(our first with RCL), and I would hate to have the dining room and theatre restricted without knowing in advance.

There was a very long thread on the HAL board since closed.

Bottom line: the cruise lines recognize that other passengers will avoid cruises with large groups on board. Therefore, they will not disclose that groups will be on board. Google is your friend.

On 2 separate cruises... one time we had a pretty good size group of Transvestites who were super nice and we got some pictures with them. Another cruise was a group of Goth people. I must say it was odd to be laying by the pool and see a group come along covered head to toe in heavy dark clothes. Not exactly sure why they picked a cruise as I was sweating in a bathing suit haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I know this site in particular doesn't appreciate it when people discuss modern terminology, but "transvestite" is kind of being phased out. And I'm curious for my own reasons, was your cruise with drag queens (I.e, men who who dress in outlandish female costumes for performance and entertainment reasons) or cross-dressers (everyday men who like to dress in women's clothing)?

I know one large group does a *drag* cruise every year, and I've wanted to go on it (I'm a fan of one of the related television shows) and I've always wondered if anyone here has ended up with them. I don't think they do full ship charters but I'm not positive. It's usually RCCL in Europe.

My last cruise on the NCL Epic, we had 450+ people for the TomandDan.com podcast group on there. They were generally a fun group, loud in the evening and had some parties. There were also 300+ paralegals on there for a CLE event, so they took over a lounge during the day for training. On top of that, there was also 100+ people for a board-gaming group. (It's just like it sounds, they are dedicated board gamers who mainly used the conference room to play board games together, most of the board games I didn't know. They called them the "modern classics")

Overall, even with the 3 groups, you never really noticed much. The TomandDan'ers were the most noticeable, simply because of numbers and they were more party people.

Not sure how this becomes a "gay" thing, as I don't care if the behavior was done by a heterosexual, homosexual, transgender, etc.. Go ahead, hold hands, kiss lightly, hug, laugh love, but have the common decency to have a bit of class and act as if you aren't a repressed ape.

It becomes a "gay" thing because the reality is, that even in this day in age, society, parents, peers, etc. teach you to repress your feelings. So, forgive us when we are in a group things may be a bit more accelerated. It's a rarity to be in a fully accepting group, without judgement or fear of retaliation. Things are better, but the real world is not easy. It downright sucks. Imagine having to go to a bar, have the courage to offer to buy someone a drink, and not only get rejected, but also offend the person and potentially get a speech about how your life is wrong or not normal.

Reality is - let them have their moment. The world is cruel enough. I know, I live it it. It may not be your life and you may not approve, but that gay group on the cruise, 1 day at a theme park, etc. may be the only time each year these men and women can live without judgement. And that's why things may be a little more intense than you'd like. If you were only allowed to drink 1 week a year, you'd probably go beyond a reasonable amount of consumption. Same principal applies here.

If you want to fix the issue, work on making the world more accepting everyday, instead of trying to add judgement to the very few days your vacation happens to overlap.

Rant over.

They were most likely Mennonite, not Amish.

It becomes a "gay" thing because the reality is, that even in this day in age, society, parents, peers, etc. teach you to repress your feelings. So, forgive us when we are in a group things may be a bit more accelerated. It's a rarity to be in a fully accepting group, without judgement or fear of retaliation. Things are better, but the real world is not easy. It downright sucks. Imagine having to go to a bar, have the courage to offer to buy someone a drink, and not only get rejected, but also offend the person and potentially get a speech about how your life is wrong or not normal.

Reality is - let them have their moment. The world is cruel enough. I know, I live it it. It may not be your life and you may not approve, but that gay group on the cruise, 1 day at a theme park, etc. may be the only time each year these men and women can live without judgement. And that's why things may be a little more intense than you'd like. If you were only allowed to drink 1 week a year, you'd probably go beyond a reasonable amount of consumption. Same principal applies here.

If you want to fix the issue, work on making the world more accepting everyday, instead of trying to add judgement to the very few days your vacation happens to overlap.

Rant over.

Wow. I'm glad you posted this. I had never thought of it that way.