Anyone unknowingly board a themed cruise or even big group cruise?? Do tell! LOL

RCLcruiser2012

Wow. I'm glad you posted this. I had never thought of it that way.

Absolutely. I'm glad you found value in it. It's all about perspective. I honestly do not care if I'm cruising with a group. My life is not theirs, but everyone is on-board to have a good time. The only person who controls if you have a good time is you. Don't let others ruin it.

I was on one with a beading group once. Never noticed anyone so I'm assuming they had their own thing going on.

I have a friend who has taken a couple of cruises with her crafting group. Around 50 ladies, all polite and quiet. If you want to be on a cruise with a group, they are probably one of the best to be with. Same with knitters, crocheters, stampers, scrapbookers, etc.

We were looking into booking Freedom of the Seas 2017 westbound transatlantic from Barcelona. Found out that a gay group had reserved 600 cabins hoping to have 1200 on the cruise. Nowhere on the RCCL website does it say a large group had planned a party cruise. Nothing against gays but 1200 for 15 days is not for us. We are now on the Independence TA with just a bunch of old people like us. happy cruising

Sad that you would feel that way and judge people you've never met. One of my best friends is gay and I'd LOVE to spend a week with him and his friends--and my husband would be right beside me. I'd definitely rather be with them then a bunch of uptight prudes who freak out at the thought of two adults of the same gender kissing. Love is Love.

Sad that you would feel that way and judge people you've never met. One of my best friends is gay and I'd LOVE to spend a week with him and his friends--and my husband would be right beside me. I'd definitely rather be with them then a bunch of uptight prudes who freak out at the thought of two adults of the same gender kissing. Love is Love.

+1000000

As far as Disneyland/world - Disney is a supporter of gay rights and the gay community. It's too bad that some people are so narrow-minded as to want to deny someone a vacation because they are not conforming to one's definition of someone who should be at Disneyland.

DH and I have been on 2 cruises with groups that we didn't know had chartered. The first one was a "Twins/triplets" cruise. There were about 200 twins/triplets on that cruise. That was a lot of fun in the evenings they always dressed to match their twin/triplet.

The 2nd cruise we were on had a very large group of Knitters. The only problem that this group caused was at embarkation. Security was backed up a long time, because the knitters had their Knitting needles in their carry-on luggage. That was a no-no. they had to keep going back out and retrieving their luggage and pack the needles.

On top of that, there was also 100+ people for a board-gaming group. (It's just like it sounds, they are dedicated board gamers who mainly used the conference room to play board games together, most of the board games I didn't know. They called them the "modern classics")

Heh. Hubby & I are board gamers, but we haven't gone on the board game cruise (Board Game Geek does one, and Dice Tower did one last year). Board gaming is huge. We got to GenCon, which is the premier US board game convention, in August every year in Indianapolis - 80,000+ people. This year is the 50th anniversary, and it's going to be epic.

So while I've never done the board game cruise, we always take board games on our cruises. :)

Heh. Hubby & I are board gamers, but we haven't gone on the board game cruise (Board Game Geek does one, and Dice Tower did one last year). Board gaming is huge. We got to GenCon, which is the premier US board game convention, in August every year in Indianapolis - 80,000+ people. This year is the 50th anniversary, and it's going to be epic.

So while I've never done the board game cruise, we always take board games on our cruises. :)

Best games for cruises...your recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH and I have been on 2 cruises with groups that we didn't know had chartered. The first one was a "Twins/triplets" cruise. There were about 200 twins/triplets on that cruise. That was a lot of fun in the evenings they always dressed to match their twin/triplet.

The 2nd cruise we were on had a very large group of Knitters. The only problem that this group caused was at embarkation. Security was backed up a long time, because the knitters had their Knitting needles in their carry-on luggage. That was a no-no. they had to keep going back out and retrieving their luggage and pack the needles.

I can understand if this was the airport, but why in a cruise ship are knitting needles ok in checked luggage but not carry on?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

Zumba - I innocently got up to try zumba poolside, only to realize I was surroundeddd by zumba instructors. Hundreds. Upon hundreds. National zumba instructors organization or something. Nice people, but sooooo excited to see old friends across the dining rooms!, lol.:D

Best games for cruises...your recommendations?

I'm partial to deck builders and 4X, and I love Star Realms for cruising - easily portable, and unless you have a ton of outposts/bases (which my husband always seems to get) it can fit in a relatively small space.

Tiny Epic Galaxies, also awesome, and I do like Lanterns. Rhino Hero is fantastic for breaking the ice with new friends, it's a kids game ostensibly (made by HABA) but it's a lot of fun when you're drinking as well. :)

I also bring Elder Sign, Ascension and Carcassonne on my tablet, those take up too much room otherwise, and the Android apps at least are fully-fleshed and play really well on pass & play. (Star Realms has a great app as well, but I prefer to play with the cards).

We do a lot of 2 player, since it's generally just the 2 of us.

If you like strategy games, 7 Wonders Duel, Hive, Equinox, Siggil and Pocket Imperium play nicely, though 7 Wonders, Equinox and Hive can also take up some room depending on your tableau. Tides of Time/Tides of Madness, quick-play card games. (These are mostly 2 player, though Pocket Imperium and Siggil can play up to 4, Siggil can also be played solo.)

7 Wonder Duel is my exception for resource management games, which I generally detest. It has a great mechanic and plays quickly, but is also strictly 2 player. It can also take up a lot of room but doesn't have to. That's one I wish Asmodee would come out with an app for.

I always keep Roll for It with me, that can be played anywhere with any number of people and is fun for just passing the time. Qwirkle also has a great travel-size option for more family gaming.

Thanks for the names of the games (I'd only heard of deck builders, Qwirkle & Roll 4 It). Love to get the college-aged grands board games & I'll be the favorite Nana this year!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can understand if this was the airport, but why in a cruise ship are knitting needles ok in checked luggage but not carry on?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

I have no idea. It never made sense to DH and myself either. But, what security says goes. That was the same cruise that my DH had brought a water bottle with him because it had a squirt top on it. Security went nuts because he had it in his hand. They said he had to throw it out. He stood there and chugged the water in front of security, and then asked if the empty bottle was now ok? Security just stood there with mouth wide open for a few seconds. and then said fine. I wanted to pretend I didn't know him for a few minutes. :o

There was a very long thread on the HAL board since closed.

Bottom line: the cruise lines recognize that other passengers will avoid cruises with large groups on board. Therefore, they will not disclose that groups will be on board. Google is your friend.

I believe that booking large groups is a big part of HAL's business model....at least that is the impression I get from personal experience on a couple of HAL cruises, as well as discussion's as mentioned on the CC HAL Board....

I have no idea. It never made sense to DH and myself either. But, what security says goes. That was the same cruise that my DH had brought a water bottle with him because it had a squirt top on it. Security went nuts because he had it in his hand. They said he had to throw it out. He stood there and chugged the water in front of security, and then asked if the empty bottle was now ok? Security just stood there with mouth wide open for a few seconds. and then said fine. I wanted to pretend I didn't know him for a few minutes. :o

You DO know that TSA security is just theatre to give a warm fuzzy feeling to the "anything for my safety" crowd and not real security? They repeatedly fail their 'secret shopper' tests, allowing the "things that blow up planes or kill people" through at an alarming rate. You can't expect much when the education requirement is a GED or 5 years in private security...

Plus, they don't confiscate or require things to be given up - they give you a choice of voluntarily surrendering it (aka "confiscate") or take it back to your car (or mail it). I got that one from a TSA clerk supervisor...

While researching cruises to make sure my family doesn't book a themed cruise the thought crossed my mind....:')

I was once on a cruise to Bermuda with a group of motorcyclists and their motorcycles. Sounds awful but they were a great and very easy going group. We enjoyed their presence.

DON

You DO know that TSA security is just theatre to give a warm fuzzy feeling to the "anything for my safety" crowd and not real security? They repeatedly fail their 'secret shopper' tests, allowing the "things that blow up planes or kill people" through at an alarming rate. You can't expect much when the education requirement is a GED or 5 years in private security...

Plus, they don't confiscate or require things to be given up - they give you a choice of voluntarily surrendering it (aka "confiscate") or take it back to your car (or mail it). I got that one from a TSA clerk supervisor...

I don't know about other locations, but in New York City, if you try to bring a gun thru security, you had better have the proper permits for it, or you will promptly be turned over to the Port Authority Police, and become "a guest of the city".;)

How many planes were blown up and crashed in N America since 9/11? Deterrence and sowing doubt in bad guys' mind are all part of ongoing security measures.

How many planes were blown up and crashed in N America since 9/11? Deterrence and sowing doubt in bad guys' mind are all part of ongoing security measures.

"The bad guys" have moved on to other things. Instances of terrorism are still around. Actually, none of the 9/11 aircraft were blown up. How many planes were blown up in the US prior to 9/11? You have to go back to the 80s to find detonations, but none blew up a plane and caused a crash...

Knitters were a group wrongly accused of trying to bring on board deadly weapons. I wonder how many in a Knitters convention onboard a ship would have to make a quick stop at the local WalMart to pick up needles to replace those voluntarily surrendered to the Smurfs at the the various airports ;)

I was once on a cruise to Bermuda with a group of motorcyclists and their motorcycles. Sounds awful but they were a great and very easy going group. We enjoyed their presence.

Wait. They brought their motorcycles on board? How did that work?