Which line/ship for Alaska?

EeyoreFan1967

We are relatively new to cruising...have done a few in the past but don't do it in general, but I fear I'm catching the bug.

It was easy to pick our spring fling cruise to Bermuda for this May because it was the ONLY one that fit into our schedules. We ended up with the 5-day itinerary on Anthem to Bermuda. But now we are planning ahead for 2018 or 2019 for a family cruise to Alaska. We are in our early 50's with 2 "kids" in their early 20's. We will probably book 2 cabins, one balcony and one inside. We like to save some bucks, but don't want to sacrifice quality of the ship or service. Being new to this, we don't have loyalty to any cruise line (only 5 points on RCI). I know NCL runs specials for 3rd and 4th person in the cabin free, but I can't imagine us all sharing one bathroom and a tiny room for a week or more, I think we'd need to upgrade to a suite for that, which I'm seeing costing much more than the 2 cabin option, unless anyone has any tips about that.

Is there anyone out there with experience on multiple lines and/or ships to Alaska who could offer some expert advice?

Thanks in advance!

Princess and HAL are the main lines in Alaska. I would not go on one that does not spend a day cruising Glacier Bay.

We have been on 4 cruises to Alaska with Princess and loved every one.

Thanks for this advice. I was leaning toward these. How would these be for 20-somethings? I heard these 2 lines have...um...more "mature" passengers.

My guess is that there would be more for them to do on Princess. Although it also depends on what time of year you are cruising, and whether or not school is in session. I would also vote for going on the cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

I have been researching for almost a year in anticipation of a "once-in-a-lifetime" cruise to Alaska in 2018. I am also in my 50's and will be traveling with my mid-20's daughter and son-in-law. I had narrowed lines down to Princess and HAL and have chosen Princess because it is not quite as geared towards the retirees, and like HAL, is allowed to cruise Glacier Bay. Even with a cheaper fare I would not pick a cruise line that has been banned from Glacier Bay because my daughter and I both are very adamant environmentalists. We are getting a mini-suite which isn't much more than the premium balcony I originally planned to book.

Oh, my, I am so happy I asked this question here! I never really considered Princess and didn't even realize that some lines were banned from Glacier Bay! I saw that some didn't go there but I didn't really think it was a big deal!

So what's better the round trip or the one-way? I'm guessing the one-way since you see more? Did anyone find it too difficult to fly in or out of Anchorage?

Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses. Yes, thinking about the mini-suite as 3rd and 4th guests greatly discounted. I will price that out against 2 rooms.

We have done Alaska cruises in July 2007 and August 2012 on the Coral Princess (both Vancouver to Whittier; the first was followed by a cruise tour). On the first we were in our mid-late 50s and on the second in our late 50s-early 60s and were pleased to see passengers of all ages. In fact from June to August there will probably be lots of family groups. In 2018 we are taking our 2 adult children and spouses (in their 30s) and our granddaughter (3 1/2) on a roundtrip out of Seattle (easier and cheaper flights) and am sure everyone will have a great time.

As others have said, Glacier Bay is not to be missed. I would also think twice about 4 adults in a mini-suite sharing a single bathroom. For the sake of peace in the family I would recommend the mini-suite (or balcony) and an interior across the hall.

Another vote for Princess. I am 49(pushing 50) and my DH is 60. We fit in perfectly with Princess. Just returned from Princess cruise with 4 - 20 somethings in tow. Two were single guys. By the end of the first day they were telling me all the people they met. To my surprise, I discovered all their new "friends" were bartenders..lol. In all honesty....they were never bored for any of the 7 days.

My vote is definitely Princess! And if you want a trip of a life time add the land portion to your cruise, it is money well spent! We did Hal 20 years ago on our first cruise to Alaska and then two years ago on Princess for a 7 day cruise to Alaska and the Princess land tour for 7 days. Their Princess Lodges are fabulous and the bus tour was amazing and so breathtaking! We flew home out of Fairbanks to Anchorage on Alaska Air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just to be different from everyone else, I did Carnival recently and enjoyed it. The key, I think, was I had the best itinerary--an 8-day cruise that spends slightly more time in Alaska and skips Victoria (no offense to Victoria). The 7-day ones seem to get mediocre reviews, but that one extra day makes all the difference. There are only a couple of them, though, I guess--one's the first cruise of the season, which is what I was on. It comes up from Australia and ends in Vancouver/Seattle to do the Alaska runs.

Or you could do Princess. :-)

Just to be different from everyone else, I did Carnival recently and enjoyed it. The key, I think, was I had the best itinerary--an 8-day cruise that spends slightly more time in Alaska and skips Victoria (no offense to Victoria). The 7-day ones seem to get mediocre reviews, but that one extra day makes all the difference. There are only a couple of them, though, I guess--one's the first cruise of the season, which is what I was on. It comes up from Australia and ends in Vancouver/Seattle to do the Alaska runs.

Or you could do Princess. :-)

It's cool, I always appreciate a dissenting opinion to make me examine all the options. I have seen and been most intrigued by the 8 or 9 night cruises, which a few lines offer. Seems like a great compromise between the lengthier land/sea option, or the 7 day RT which doesn't seem to cover enough. Plus I'm not seeing any discounts on Princess...I'm guessing the Carnival didn't do Glacier Bay?

Plus I'm not seeing any discounts on Princess...

A good travel agent can give you a discount on Princess - they just can't advertise the discounted price. My TA routinely gets us an 8% to 12% discount and frequently throws in OBC too.

Princess, HAL, Norwegian, Carnival and Crystal Cruiselines are the only ones who currently hold contracts and permits to be in Glacier Bay Nat. Park. These contracts will all end on Sept 30, 2019. Thus far, they have held a rather unfair monopoly on the ability to include Glacier Bay in their itineraries.

So, in a year or two, the advice about Princess and HAL, who hold the most permits, may likely be null and void. I saw absolutely no difference between the Glacier Bay experience cruise on HAL and Norwegian (except HAL serves pea soup on deck.)

Some people claim that Princess and HAL do Alaska better because they have been there the longest (which is why they have been given priority on the GB permits.) Since most savvy cruisers book private excursions, that reasoning is flawed.

So, if you really feel that this will be your one and only time to do Alaska, choose a sailing that includes Glacier Bay. We have been to Alaska three times and loved each cruise.

BTW- Norwegian is currently building a new ship that is designed for Alaskan cruising. That may be my next cruise!

Some people claim that Princess and HAL do Alaska better because they have been there the longest (which is why they have been given priority on the GB permits.) Since most savvy cruisers book private excursions, that reasoning is flawed.
That is not the explanation I've read here on CC. Furthermore, it would be counter to public policy for a government agency to grant permits in that manner. What I've heard that the permits were granted based on superior levels of environmental stewardship. Does anyone know for sure?

Some people claim that Princess and HAL do Alaska better because they have been there the longest...

I totally agree that is a flawed statement. Itinerary and cruise line are important, not who has been in the region the longest.

Op, here's another dissenting opinion for you. I've been to Glacier Bay (on HAL) and I agree it's an amazing experience. But that was 1 day. Truth be told, I thought my one

Edited by Aquahound
Majority of post keeps getting deleted.

I totally agree that is a flawed statement. Itinerary and cruise line are important, not who has been in the region the longest.

Op, here's another dissenting opinion for you. I've been to Glacier Bay (on HAL) and I agree it's an amazing experience. But that was 1 day. Truth be told, I thought my one

I don't at all agree with the opinion that Princess and HAL do Alaska better than others. I've just read that as an explanation of why some people (not me) think HAL and Princess are better in Alaska. Once you are in port, Alaska is the same for all cruisers. Some lines do get nicer berthing areas though.

I've researched the topic of permits to GB, and they have historically been given based on seniority in Alaska. I don't know if they will use different criteria when these permits and contracts expire in 2019. I hope they spread the permits around to those who have sterling environmental records.

For some reason, CC is cutting off my post, despite editing it several times.

Lots of mentions re Glacier Bay. Could someone explain what is so particularly special about this place?

Realistically would you say that May is just that little bit too early to see Alaska at its best?

Lots of mentions re Glacier Bay. Could someone explain what is so particularly special about this place?

Realistically would you say that May is just that little bit too early to see Alaska at its best?

The transit up and down the Glacier Bay takes all day (on our 2 cruises it was from about 6:30 am until 3:30 pm) with beautiful scenery including amazing glaciers and plentiful wildlife viewings. National Park Service rangers are on board all day and give both presentations (including one for kids) and whole ship narrations. On Princess the on-board naturalist also takes part. See the NPS website for more Glacier Bay info and great pictures: https://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm.

From what I have read if you are cruising in May (and maybe June) ice blockage can make transit of Tracy Arm Fjord (common alternative cruise to Glacier Bay) and College Fjord an iffy proposition and can be canceled to the disappointment of cruisers.

I had narrowed lines down to Princess and HAL and have chosen Princess because it is not quite as geared towards the retirees, and like HAL, is allowed to cruise Glacier Bay. Even with a cheaper fare I would not pick a cruise line that has been banned from Glacier Bay because my daughter and I both are very adamant environmentalists.

Princess does an excellent job in Alaska but if I was an adamant environmentalist, probably not the line I’d pick.

“Princess Cruises was fined, for example, when the Golden Princess dumped 66,000 gallons of chlorinated water into Glacier Bay in Alaska in early 2013.”

You could google NCL and Alaska for more info but here are the basics:

The third ship in the line’s Breakaway-Plus class, Norwegian Bliss is designed with features and amenities to offer guests the ultimate Alaska cruising experience. At approximately 167,800 gross tons and accommodating 4,000 guests, the ship will be constructed at MEYER WERFT in Papenburg, Germany and scheduled for delivery in Spring 2018.

After a transatlantic cruise and a Panama Canal transit through the new locks, the ship will sail north along the West Coast, reaching Seattle for the start of the summer cruising season. Norwegian Bliss will sail weekly seven-day Alaska cruises each Saturday from Pier 66 in Seattle, offering guests the premier way to see America’s last frontier, while also providing all of the innovative features, entertainment, signature dining and onboard experiences that Norwegian Cruise Line is known for around the globe. The ship’s itinerary will feature calls in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, British Columbia, along with scenic glacier cruising.

Maybe next summer?