Pre Cruise HAL Airport Pickup?

For the first time we've booked our precruise hotel with HAL and included an airport pick up. We're also using their air.

We're flying into Fort Lauderdale in February, two days early from the land of ice and snow. Since they'll probably be dealing with just us on the direct flight, can we count on reliable pickup once we leave customs? I don't expect to see our names on a sign, but how does one track down a HAL rep? And do they monitor delays/flight changes?

Does one usually have to wait until a bus or van is full? Given we're two days early this could take hours.

I know we could simply take a cab, but since we've paid for pick-up we'd like to be confident it will work.

Ruth

Actually, you should be expecting to see your name on a sign outside of bag claim/customs, if it is just you. Yes, they do monitor flights. Their mission is to meet you and get you to your hotel.

If it is just you two, you may just be put in a pre-paid cab, or a town car or other tour vehicle. The person who has the sign might be your driver, or might be a separate employee. That employee may stick around to meet others, or may accompany you to your hotel.

Your cruise might be 2 days later, but HAL has more than one ship operating out of FLL. So there may be people arriving for sailings that day, on other ships, or the next. That raises the possibility there may be a bus for you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Usually they have a representative to meet you, usually at baggage claim.

I don't think you will have to wait until they fill up a bus or van

They may arrange for a cab for you to take you to the hotel, HAL will take care of the can fare & tip.

Ruth, we've used HAL transfers in the past, once in FLL (several years ago). Normally, you'll see them after you get your luggage. They'll be wearing red vests and carrying a clipboard. They'll confirm your names and then direct you or take you where you need to go.

I doubt there will be a bus because you're arriving two days early but you never know. If not enough pax, they will put you in a taxi to the hotel. The one time we used them in FLL, I think there was another couple with us in a bus but it was at 1 am in the morning of the cruise (we were supposed to arrive MUCH earlier). Not many pax at that time of day but flights were all affected by some nasty snowstorms in the US mid west.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Actually, you should be expecting to see your name on a sign outside of bag claim/customs, if it is just you. Yes, they do monitor flights. Their mission is to meet you and get you to your hotel.

If it is just you two, you may just be put in a pre-paid cab, or a town car or other tour vehicle. The person who has the sign might be your driver, or might be a separate employee. That employee may stick around to meet others, or may accompany you to your hotel.

We've done extensive private land travel in South America and Asia and there was nothing better than seeing our name on a piece of white paper just past customs. Guess I never hoped for such service when language isn't a problem and it's all mass market travel.

And I realize I've joined the ranks of those fellow CC members who like to have all their 'ships/ducks' lined up months in advance.

Thanks to the voices of experience and optimism,

Ruth

We used this service in Fort Lauderdale and we flew in 2 days early. There were 100s of HAL passengers waiting to be picked up. Many were on our flight! We arrived in FLL around 6 p.m.

There are people with signs and they are wearing shirts that say HAL. You will not miss them at baggage claim.

Since there were so many of us (several buses were used to transport us), it did take awhile to organize us, roll our carry-ons to where the buses were and get everyone on board. Plus there was some confusion about which hotel people were going to -- there were two locations and some people were getting in the wrong line for the wrong hotel. We were on a bus going to the beach hotel (which had fewer folks) than going to the Westin.

I think you ask a very good question concerning how long it takes.

So depending how many people HAL is picking up when you arrive, you might have awhile before you arrive at your hotel.

Plus there was some confusion about which hotel people were going to -- there were two locations and some people were getting in the wrong line for the wrong hotel. We were on a bus going to the beach hotel (which had fewer folks) than going to the Westin.

I think you ask a very good question concerning how long it takes.

So depending how many people HAL is picking up when you arrive, you might have awhile before you arrive at your hotel.

Well since we usually know 'where we're going' we should be Okay. Mind you we've begun to forget where 'we've been.'

Your report along with the others is encouraging.

Thanks,

Ruth

We had a pre cruise pick up at the airport in Athens. The HAL rep was there in Baggage Claim and had a pre paid cab waiting to take us to our HAL package hotel. It worked perfectly!

Karen

Two years ago we had a cruise from Rome on HAL, but had our own air, and a HAL pre-cruise hotel for 2 nights. On the morning of our flight from California, our first air leg was cancelled, and we had to figure out what to do.

I called the carrier, Delta, first to get new connections for the next day, then I called the HAL office in Seattle to explain it all. HAL did great! There was a limo driver outside the airport baggage claim at Rome airport (we looked for him inside, first, and were a little worried when we couldn't find anyone). But then he took us to a Mercedes limo for a private drive (with water!) all the way to Rome, about an hour. The hotel and the local HAL rep at the hotel in Rome were expecting us to be late (we were the last to arrive). HAL had co-ordinated all of the land schedule.

After check-in and a short rest, we had dinner at the hotel and the rest of the cruise went as planned. This is one of the many reasons we choose HAL.

Penny

Your cruise might be 2 days later, but HAL has more than one ship operating out of FLL. So there may be people arriving for sailings that day, on other ships, or the next. That raises the possibility there may be a bus for you.

Exactly.

• 9 months later...

I realize that this is an old thread, but could someone tell me what the tipping for this service would/should be? We're considering a HAL transfer/hotel/transfer before our January cruise. Thank you for any insight you might have.

I realize that this is an old thread, but could someone tell me what the tipping for this service would/should be? We're considering a HAL transfer/hotel/transfer before our January cruise. Thank you for any insight you might have.

We don't tip. This is a very expensive and often unsatisfactory option. Adding a tip would only make the high up front cost worse. DH likes them; I do not.

We generally give the bus driver a $5 tip for the two of us. However, if the driver has been particularly helpful, we will up the tip to $10.

Smooth sailing $$$

Normally we tip everyone. However the pre cruise package stated gratuities included so we did not tip. However, we left five dollars equivalent for housekeeping each day as we requested extra towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been very pleased with HAL's M&G at the airport. My most recent experience found me at the baggage carousel, waiting for the luggage to appear. Suddenly, a woman dressed in a blue blazer with a clipboard appeared and asked "Are you Mr. ____?" I replied that I was. The HAL rep some how found me rather than me finding her!

Tipping that person is inappropriate, I believe. But, I usually, not always, but usually will offer a couple of dollars to the bus/van driver. Sometimes, particularly on a bus type transfer, there is so much chaos when we get off the bus that the driver can't be aware of who does or does not tip and usually is not looking for such. At least, that is what I have observed.

Thank you all for your input. This gives me food for thought. We can do a HAL transfer from Miami airport to a hotel in FLL that isn't near anything or Super Shuttle ourselves to a hotel that is close to dining/CVS for about the same cost.