Laundry--I KNOW this gets asked often!

recyclelady

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in August. On my last ship about 1 year ago (Emerald) I brought quarters and was so happy to have them.

On the Caribbean will quarters work or is it just tokens? Card swipe machine in laundry room? I want to avoid any trips to the pursers desk.

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in August. On my last ship about 1 year ago (Emerald) I brought quarters and was so happy to have them.

If you bring a roll of quarters, and the machines don't take quarters...

...take the quarters to the purser's desk, and apply them to your account.

I used to collect quarters for the sole purpuse of using them for laundry when we travel. I am so glad that I can just swipe my card now... Less weight, less muss, less fuss.

BTW- Each token cost $3. So it is $6 for a load of laundry. I am a clean clothes freak, so it is well worth the expense. (I also have a bizarre- nearing pedantic- fascination with laundry rooms and laundromats-- weird. I know.)

I used to collect quarters for the sole purpuse of using them for laundry when we travel. I am so glad that I can just swipe my card now... Less weight, less muss, less fuss.

BTW- Each token cost $3. So it is $6 for a load of laundry. I am a clean clothes freak, so it is well worth the expense. (I also have a bizarre- nearing pedantic- fascination with laundry rooms and laundromats-- weird. I know.)

One tip--if you think you will do more than 1 load of laundry and dry it, get all the tokens you think you'll need the first day. We were on CB in March for a 10 day cruise. Bought enough tokens for 2 wash and 2 dry, then decided we needed to do another load (because the washers aren't really that big). The token machine was broken, so I had to visit laundry rooms on 3 decks to find one that worked and could get more tokens. Also, one of the dryers we used was broken somehow and only dried for about 10 minutes before requiring another token! It should dry for 30 minutes (I think it's posted). We went to GS and explained what happened and they credited back the extra $6 we had to use to dry our clothes.

You and my DH would get along great--he loves doing laundry, especially on a ship. Every night when he comes home from work, he heads straight for our laundry room. Weird but cute :)

ML

One tip--if you think you will do more than 1 load of laundry and dry it, get all the tokens you think you'll need the first day. We were on CB in March for a 10 day cruise. Bought enough tokens for 2 wash and 2 dry, then decided we needed to do another load (because the washers aren't really that big). The token machine was broken, so I had to visit laundry rooms on 3 decks to find one that worked and could get more tokens. Also, one of the dryers we used was broken somehow and only dried for about 10 minutes before requiring another token! It should dry for 30 minutes (I think it's posted). We went to GS and explained what happened and they credited back the extra $6 we had to use to dry our clothes.

You and my DH would get along great--he loves doing laundry, especially on a ship. Every night when he comes home from work, he heads straight for our laundry room. Weird but cute :)

ML

Oh- Your DH is my brother from a different mother! Another laundry geek!

Funny story- when we were in China- we found the fabulous world of high speed water extracters. We did 22 days in China on 22 pounds of luggage- each- all in carry on. So I would do sink or tub laundry every couple of days. But we quickly learned, if the hotel had a pool, they probably had a water extractor. Then our tech clothes would dry in 2 or three hours instead of six.

We almost bought one to bring home, but the votage or wattage or whatever was not the same.

Fast forward to the next Christmas. There was a big box under the tree for me. And for the life of me, I could not guess what it was. When I opened it, it was a super duper high speed water extractor! I wish you could see the look of horror on my family's faces!!! But I was thrilled. To this day, it is one of the best gifts I have ever received. I use it all the time!

Edited by TracieABD

Why in the world do people feel that they may need to bring their own quarters?

Think about it logically. What do you think that people who do not come from the Us do - go to their local bank in say India and ask for a roll of American quarters. Many people in the world do not have access to rolls of American quarters.

Any ships that still have machines that take quarters will give you as many as you need at the front desk.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I've bought laundry pods for my cruise. Always used powder before.

Do I need to snip open the pods please? I did check they suit front and top loaders-did remember that point.

No. Just drop the entire pod into the washing machine. The outer coating dissolves in the water.

On the Caribbean will quarters work or is it just tokens? Card swipe machine in laundry room? I want to avoid any trips to the pursers desk.

Just swipe your Cruise card for tokens. You do not need quarters.

Tony

Why in the world do people feel that they may need to bring their own quarters?

Think about it logically. What do you think that people who do not come from the Us do - go to their local bank in say India and ask for a roll of American quarters. Many people in the world do not have access to rolls of American quarters.

Any ships that still have machines that take quarters will give you as many as you need at the front desk.

DON

It requires a trip to GS down on the Fiesta deck where there may or may not be a line. It totally is a pain in the bottom. For many that is one pain they can do without by a simple planning ahead.

Oh- Your DH is my brother from a different mother! Another laundry geek!

Fast forward to the next Christmas. There was a big box under the tree for me. And for the life of me, I could not guess what it was. When I opened it, it was a super duper high speed water extractor! I wish you could see the look of horror on my family's faces!!! But I was thrilled. To this day, it is one of the best gifts I have ever received. I use it all the time!

LOL

I am totally going to look for one of those for him--always looking for gift ideas :D

Thx

ML

It requires a trip to GS down on the Fiesta deck where there may or may not be a line. It totally is a pain in the bottom. For many that is one pain they can do without by a simple planning ahead.

That was exactly my thinking. I didn't want to waste time with standing in line at the main desk.