Cruise Pricing: Few Deals like the Good Old Days

OBX-Cruisers

Is it just my delusion or have the prices of cruises gone up significantly when paired with all of those "free perks"?

I have started getting emails from various online travel companies with their Fourth of July Sales events common at this time of year now that the usual Wave Season sales are pretty much behind us.

Although I started with X and found prices, well "very pricey" other cruise lines have started adding "free perks" to their cruises and prices in terms dollars/person/day are substantially up from my target pricing for Caribbean cruises and particularly for Veradah and higher cabins that we prefer.

Is this delusional on my part or are there good deals to be had that I am missing for the start of 2017 in particular?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Is it just my delusion or have the prices of cruises gone up significantly when paired with all of those "free perks"?

I have started getting emails from various online travel companies with their Fourth of July Sales events common at this time of year now that the usual Wave Season sales are pretty much behind us.

Although I started with X and found prices, well "very pricey" other cruise lines have started adding "free perks" to their cruises and prices in terms dollars/person/day are substantially up from my target pricing for Caribbean cruises and particularly for Veradah and higher cabins that we prefer.

Is this delusional on my part or are there good deals to be had that I am missing for the start of 2017 in particular?

No, you are not delusional. The prices are definitely higher since they started including the perks.

If you qualify for some of the special category discounted prices without the perks, sometimes you can still get a good price break that way (especially the last minute deals after final payment date),

while other times the amount of the special category discount is so meager that it is not worthwhile.

The suites especially tend to sell well now that the kid glove treatment with all those amenities have been added for suite passengers, so it is rare to see discounts offered on the suite prices these days (although you may still get lucky every once in a while).

Celebrity used to emphasize attention to detail, but their new motto seems to be

Include the booze and they'll buy the cruise. :D

Edited by varoo

No, you are not delusional. The prices are definitely higher since they started including the perks.

If you qualify for some of the special category discounted prices without the perks, sometimes you can still get a good price break that way (especially the last minute deals after final payment date),

while other times the amount of the special category discount is so meager that it is not worthwhile.

The suites especially tend to sell well now that the kid glove treatment with all those amenities have been added for suite passengers, so it is rare to see discounts offered on the suite prices these days (although you may still get lucky every once in a while).

Celebrity used to emphasize attention to detail, but their new motto seems to be

Include the booze and they'll buy the cruise. :D

Agree, prices are up and up. Some inflation is not unusual, but we are told in America that there is little inflation these days. Our Social Security the past years has not gone up or gone up a very small amount.

The price of oil is way down, did prices reflect that, NO.

Instead we get the bundled prices with promos that DW and I could easily do without.

We last booked a transatlantic next year unbundled, that is the way I like it.

Yes prices are up but we have found some good deals it just takes a bit of searching. While some may not use the value of the "included" perks for us it works. So when I can get the Go Best perks and a price break on the fate I am a very happy camper:)

Thanks to all who commented. I think I will be patient and look for what we can get when the 90 day payment window closes for cruises in January.

We are now booked on a 13 day TA from Barcelona in AQ class in October without any perks and will have to be happy with that for now (not Elite yet but after this cruise:p).....and we ARE happy and anxious so that's the good thing.

Agree, prices are up and up. Some inflation is not unusual, but we are told in America that there is little inflation these days.

The price of oil is way down, did prices reflect that, NO.

New USA Environmental law beginning 2015 requires higher cost low sulfur fuel use within 200 miles of US coast. Government report I saw said it expected fuel costs for cruise lines to go up 30% over prior level.

The perks effect on prices focuses on oceanview and up. Inside pricing w/o perks still seems reasonable value. I see hotel prices firming and air travel too. With so much new supply coming with new ships, including river cruising, CEOs at industry meetings were expecting some discounting to fill less popular itineraries will be needed. As always, doing your homework on prices and alternatives is a good idea. HAPPY CRUISING

We book an inside cabin most of the time. We find the prices much better because the so called "free perks" are not included. We don't want to pay for the drink package; we get enough free drinks between 5:00 and 7:00 pm because we are elite. We recently booked the 14 night Caribvean cruise for January 2017 because I found a price dip one day. The next day the price moved back up to the price a few days before. I keep notes on a pad and watch the prices move all over the place. We book through a cruise website, not through Celebrity.

Have the prices of cruises gone up significantly when paired with all of those "free perks"?

I started with X and found prices, well "very pricey" other cruise lines have started adding "free perks" to their cruises and prices in terms dollars/person/day are substantially up from my target pricing for Caribbean cruises and particularly for Veradah and higher cabins that we prefer.

Is this delusional on my part or are there good deals to be had that I am missing?

We book an inside cabin most of the time. We find the prices much better because the so called "free perks" are not included.

We don't want to pay for the drink package; we get enough free drinks between 5:00 and 7:00 pm because we are elite.

I keep notes on a pad and watch the prices move all over the place. We book through a cruise website, not through Celebrity.

Yes, prices for many cruises are up... ESPECIALLY when booking well in advance... and especially for middle and upper level cabins.

But there are still incredible deals to be found each and every day...

(and just like with ALL advertised cruise prices...taxes and tips are extra. :rolleyes: )

25 August... 13 nights on Celebrity Equinox (Ocean View) for $1049pp with $300 OBC.

2 September... 15 nights on Celebrity Millennium (Inside) $674pp with $250 OBC from Shareholder Benefit. :eek:

25 October...13 nights on Celebrity Equinox (Inside) $711pp with $250 OBC from Shareholder Benefit. :D

14 November...14 nights on Celebrity Constellation (Ocean View) $489pp with $250 OBC from Shareholder Benefit. :cool:

9 December... 15 nights on Celebrity Infinity (Inside) $749pp with $250 OBC from Shareholder Benefit.

17 April... 15 nights on Celebrity Constellation (Inside) $599pp with $250 OBC from Shareholder Benefit.

Even BETTER!!! Almost all of these cruises can be booked through an online site that will throw in free gratuities as well. ;)

Edited by teecee60

There are still plenty of deals out there. You just have to search for them. There are currently many deals on Mediterranean cruise this summer and fall. Also, I know you Celebrity, you don't have to take the perks. Many times, there are rates out there that don't include any perks. Ask you travel agent when booking if you're not looking for any perks. On a personal note, we always buy a drink package and find if we book at the right time, we can get a balcony or even Aqua for less than the best price offered on and inside and adding the packages separately. We almost always book by finding a deal and let the deal lead us to where we are going.

Yes, prices for many cruises are up... ESPECIALLY when booking well in advance... and especially for middle and upper level cabins.

But there are still incredible deals to be found each and every day...

(and just like with ALL advertised cruise prices...taxes and tips are extra. :rolleyes: )

25 August... 13 nights on Celebrity Equinox (Ocean View) for $1049pp with $300 OBC.

Even BETTER!!! Almost all of these cruises can be booked through an online site that will throw in free gratuities as well. ;)

We are booked on the August 25th Equinox and switched to it months and months ago when I found we could go on this 13 night cruise cheaper than we had our 7 night Alaska cruise. Then when pricing dropped we upgraded to Aqua Class. Then when it dropped again, we were able to upgrade to a Suite. When we added all 4 perks that come with the Suite which we would have purchased anyway (those that were not already a part of our package) and the additional $600 OBC Celebrity was offering the weekend we upgraded on top of the $300 already included we ended up effectively paying a total of $100 more per person for the upgrade. This will be our one and only suite due to the deal. No we have to figure out how we're going to spend $900 in OBC...what a problem to deal with.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Willing to bet you will also see significant price drops on the Holy Land cruises leaving from Istanbul this October and November after final payment. And TAs and TPs often are great values. But you have to be flexible and open to cabins assigned by Celebrity, not wedded to having a specific cabin.

My strategy is to always book the lowest category I can stand to be in (oceanview) on the higher priced cruises and hope to upgrade after final payment. Even on the popular cruises like South America, this has almost always paid off for me and I end up with the category I wanted in the first place but at tremendous savings. Sometimes I even luck out and get cabins in prime locations!

I sail solo so the savings are really significant for me using this tactic.

Willing to bet you will also see significant price drops on the Holy Land cruises leaving from Istanbul this October and November after final payment. And TAs and TPs often are great values. But you have to be flexible and open to cabins assigned by Celebrity, not wedded to having a specific cabin.

My strategy is to always book the lowest category I can stand to be in (oceanview) on the higher priced cruises and hope to upgrade after final payment. Even on the popular cruises like South America, this has almost always paid off for me and I end up with the category I wanted in the first place but at tremendous savings. Sometimes I even luck out and get cabins in prime locations!

I sail solo so the savings are really significant for me using this tactic.

Do you make your original booking with perks? If so, have you been able to keep them when you upgrade? Thanks!

Do you make your original booking with perks? If so, have you been able to keep them when you upgrade? Thanks!

No you will lose the perks except TA OBC because of the dirt cheap price. But the drink package is something I don't use because I don't usually drink. The $300 OBC and even gratuities for me are usually more than offset by the savings of what I would otherwise have paid for a balcony (eg almost $2,000 less in South America). But if you use the perks or only want the cheapest cabin in whatever category, then it might not work for you. You just have to look at the bottom line and whether you think it is worth what you are paying.

I find it is about the same as it was by the end of the cruse and the tally is in

It is very close

Gas is not a $1.00 a gallon anymore either

Everything goes up and never goes down

I like this new all inclusive plan I get a better idea of total cost

Cheers Dan

I'm curious about the significance of "after final payment". Do prices drop for the higher categories after final payment? And how do you check? Just check prices every day and compare to what you have booked? Thanks!

We always sail Concierge Class and initial prices do seem to have risen between $200 to $500 pp BUT I will GLADLY pay as my $1000 bar bill and gratuities have now gone away and I STILL get some OBC as well so overall for us the total cost for cruising has gone down on most cruises!

I'm curious about the significance of "after final payment". Do prices drop for the higher categories after final payment? And how do you check? Just check prices every day and compare to what you have booked? Thanks!

YUP - maybe every other day. USUALLY, you can, due to price reduction for Concierge and/or Aqua, move up at minor upcharge. Suites seem to hold firmer prices. If not using TA, try CapnClub number for change.

I always buy basic veranda and move up later as opportunities arise but you have to be watching. Recently switched to reduced-price Family Veranda that momentarily popped up 3 weeks before sailing near my basic veranda price.

If you switch to a senior, residency type rate, you lose your BBB perks. GOOD LUCK

When you switch you get the perks that are being offered then -- but on higher category cabins, the perks are often as good or better than what you gave up. One time we lost OBC that wiped out most of the saving -- but I still feel that cash is better than a "coupon."

When you switch you get the perks that are being offered then -- but on higher category cabins, the perks are often as good or better than what you gave up. One time we lost OBC that wiped out most of the saving -- but I still feel that cash is better than a "coupon."

If you upgrade after final payment, especially using the Tuesday exciting deals, you will lose the perks because they are not combinable with the go better or most other promotions. I don't know about the OBC you get for booking a cruise onboard, you may keep that.

Only you can decide if upgrading to a balcony or suite is worth what you are giving up.

If you upgrade after final payment, especially using the Tuesday exciting deals, you will lose the perks because they are not combinable with the go better or most other promotions. I don't know about the OBC you get for booking a cruise onboard, you may keep that.

Only you can decide if upgrading to a balcony or suite is worth what you are giving up.

We upgraded from a Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite after final payment and kept the BEST perks because they were still being offered for CS bookings. We did not get any money back even though the CS was selling for less than we had paid, but we did get the better suite [and it is very nice indeed!] and all the perks. Others may have had different experiences, but that is mine.

We booked a Bermuda Cruise departing early May 2016 on the weekend of final payment. We had friends already going on this cruise and were joining them. They were all in Aqua Class; however the price of Aqua was more than we could justify for this unplanned somewhat spur of the moment need to get away cruise. It was close to $600 per person more. We booked a standard balcony which included the drink package and a $300 OBC. I looked at pricing everyday after we booked hoping the price of Aqua Class would come down. About 2 weeks later the price of AQ bottomed out and we were able to upgrade for $125 per person ($25 more than the normal price we would pay to upgrade, but it was worth it to dine with the rest of the group). We were able to book the A2 and get the free upgrade to A1 since we are Elite and we kept our perks also as the promotion included 2 perks. And as an added bonus which wouldn't apply to an everyday booking, our travel agent who is also a friend and was on this cruise, surprised us with an additional $150 OBC. Long story short, book what you will be happy with and then constantly check pricing to grap an upgrade. I check pricing on almost every cruise I have booked daily or at a minimum every other day. Also, join your roll call and pay attention to it. I was on a transatlantic cruise a few years back that Ptrpanpens was also on and I found out about a couple price reductions from her posting it on the roll call.