How to transfer a booking from one agency to another

blue whale

OMG!!

What they did is either attempted theft or fraud! Please contact the Office of the Attorney General for New Jersey to report this! Also the Better Business Bureau as well.

I think you said that the Agency is in the State of Florida, a contact with that State's Attorney General's Office would be warranted as well.

It is most unfortunate that this happened to you and I am glad you were sharp enough to catch the "error".

I would have taken my business elsewhere too if it were me it had happened to.

Have you considered reporting the agency to the Better Business Bureau?

What they did was unethical at best and at the worst, theft.

While Blue Whale guesses that this is what happened, she doesn't know, but now the agency is being accused of either theft or fraud. Let's skip the trial and head straight to the hanging! :rolleyes:

The agency obviously did the refaring on their own and then decided they could keep the difference and that the customer would be none the wiser.

Yes, I fully understood that the agency knew of a price drop ... but that wasn't my question.

Yes, I fully understood that the agency knew of a price drop ... but that wasn't my question.

The OP shouldn't have to ask. A good agent will look after that for you automatically. Our TA checks for price drops on all our cruises as a matter of form and she certainly doesn't try to take advantage of us.

We always ask the agent to check for a price drop just before final payment. That has been our protocol for years and years; and we have been cruising for many years.

And before working with an agent, we always ask whether HAL will show on our credit card as the receiving party when we pay.

We did both of these in this case.

But the good news is that we got the money sent back to our card. I have to admit that I called the card company every morning for 7 mornings until the money showed up.

And hopefully we will get all our future cruises transferred.

We think that travel is wonderful.

Thank you for all your interest.

Seriously? $2,000+ is an error???

and it took time to get it corrected.

Something like this should be reversed in 3 business days. It doesn't take "time" when it is an error.

Sorry, retired banker disagrees with you. I like to think if this happened with my TA it would be fixed toute de suite.

I am sure that the OP has checked out the fees involved. Their post made it quite clear that this was an issue and I respect that.

Yes, an error. As banker- then I'm assuming if some one came in, you just said - OH, OK, I'll refund it right now while you wait? Sorry, it has to be tracked, and, this person did NOT pay it. As I also mentioned, all that would have had to be done with the credit card is to DISPUTE the charge, which you do NOT pay while being resolved.

$2000 is nothing on my credit limits, which could be another story.

While Blue Whale guesses that this is what happened, she doesn't know, but now the agency is being accused of either theft or fraud. Let's skip the trial and head straight to the hanging! :rolleyes:

The Offices of the Attorney General in each of our 50 States have a Consumer Protection Division. Just days ago, I attended a seminar concering consumer fraud with a representative from the Ohio Attorney General's Office. At least in Ohio, we are encouraged to report situations like what blue whale experienced so that they may be investigated.

Such an investiagtion may indeed show it was just an "error". Then, again, something else may be going on. Such investiagtions are designed to protect all of us consumers.

The Offices of the Attorney General in each of our 50 States have a Consumer Protection Division. Just days ago, I attended a seminar concering consumer fraud with a representative from the Ohio Attorney General's Office. At least in Ohio, we are encouraged to report situations like what blue whale experienced so that they may be investigated.

Such an investiagtion may indeed show it was just an "error". Then, again, something else may be going on. Such investiagtions are designed to protect all of us consumers.

I couldn't agree more. An investigation of all of the pertinent facts is the only way to determine whether or not any of the accusations that have been bandied about here have any merit.

Edited by Fouremco

Just my thinking... as there should have never been a charge paid to the travel agent on the passenger's card, it is at least a misuse of the customer's credit card, whether $2, $2,000, or $20,000.

don't you know common sense is not permitted on the boards :p

kidding. where oh where is that like button:D

Just my thinking... as there should have never been a charge paid to the travel agent on the passenger's card, it is at least a misuse of the customer's credit card, whether $2, $2,000, or $20,000.

Exactly. While I do believe in 'Innocent until proven guilty', I'm not sure how a business can charge a client's card to themselves "by accident". Not only once, but twice as they also did the same thing to Dorothy's friends. :rolleyes: No way around that it was a deliberate act. What comes into play was intent. Mistake I can possibly believe. Accident? No. I do hope that Dorothy and her friends both report this error to the State's AG for investigation.

Yes, an error. As banker- then I'm assuming if some one came in, you just said - OH, OK, I'll refund it right now while you wait? Sorry, it has to be tracked, and, this person did NOT pay it. As I also mentioned, all that would have had to be done with the credit card is to DISPUTE the charge, which you do NOT pay while being resolved.

$2000 is nothing on my credit limits, which could be another story.

Suit yourself. Did you even read my post? Tracing takes a few hours now, max three days, not the length of time the OP suffered.

I am happy to report that the agency released my booking! The agency has sent a fax to HAL indicating that they OK the transfer. We sent a fax, actually two of them to HAL, giving the details regarding the four cruises. And the receiving agency has faxed HAL saying they will now take responsibility for the four cruises.

I am happy, for fortunately I just received updated credit cards with the new chip and new info. So the original agency no longer has access to my card.

Actually the original agency did not stall at all. They worked promptly in getting the fax out, for which I am thankful. They sent me a copy of their fax. They asked me to reconsider, but when I said no, they did not put up an argument.

I feel much better tonight.

Thank you all, for your interest.

But the main thing is to know that there is a procedure for moving cruises from one agency to another, especially if the reason is important.

And of course, we all should check our credit card bills to make sure all is OK.

D

I am happy to report that the agency released my booking! The agency has sent a fax to HAL indicating that they OK the transfer. We sent a fax, actually two of them to HAL, giving the details regarding the four cruises. And the receiving agency has faxed HAL saying they will now take responsibility for the four cruises.

I am happy, for fortunately I just received updated credit cards with the new chip and new info. So the original agency no longer has access to my card.

Actually the original agency did not stall at all. They worked promptly in getting the fax out, for which I am thankful. They sent me a copy of their fax. They asked me to reconsider, but when I said no, they did not put up an argument.

I feel much better tonight.

Thank you all, for your interest.

But the main thing is to know that there is a procedure for moving cruises from one agency to another, especially if the reason is important.

And of course, we all should check our credit card bills to make sure all is OK.

D

great news :) and thank you for sharing with us.

Enjoy all those cruises :)

I'm happy for you that the cruises have been moved to a new agency, and that the old agency didn't give you any extra grief on the matter.

Thanks for letting us know it has worked out.

Quite a story. Glad it all worked out.

In all our years of cruising,(40) we have never had a charge from the travel agency direct. RED LIGHTALERT RED LIGHTALERT RED LIGHTALERT

It does seem as they were trying to help themselves.......(twice) and maybe more that no one knows of, and how many times prior?

I would think an investigation is in order.........It is just that, an investigation- not a hanging...

Hopefully the correct agency will get to the truth of the matter, as we(including myself)are just speculating.

Helaine

And with this whole episode in our minds, I imagine it would be a good idea if we monitor prices ourselves, so we know exactly what amount should be charged. I have recently switched to a HAL PCC. Do you think she will monitor prices for us?

I know that we can't post the name of TA's on this forum, but there should be a way to alert others of such problems. I once asked another poster to contact me on my e-mail and promptly got a warning that even that was forbidden. Where do we find such rules? I could not find it. And, more importantly, why is there such a rule? What business is it of CC to restrict our private e-mails.

Since we also do business with a Florida-based online agency, I sure would like to know which agency to avoid. Is there a way that this can be accomplished?

I know that we can't post the name of TA's on this forum, but there should be a way to alert others of such problems. I once asked another poster to contact me on my e-mail and promptly got a warning that even that was forbidden. Where do we find such rules? I could not find it. And, more importantly, why is there such a rule? What business is it of CC to restrict our private e-mails.

Since we also do business with a Florida-based online agency, I sure would like to know which agency to avoid. Is there a way that this can be accomplished?

Completely Agree!!!

Then I called the travel agent, who said, "The HAL agent had no right to tell you what had been paid." In other words, the travel agency thought they were covered, that HAL would not speak to me since we were working with an agent. BUT HAL was wonderful in this regard! The HAL lady was open and helpful.

Being a travel agent myself, this part is technically correct. HAL is not to discuss the amounts paid or any specific financial details about your booking as some travel agencies may have special discounts, arrangements, etc.

WITH THAT SAID...

Given the specifics of your concern and what this agency did, I'm glad to see they were able to get management approval or whatever may have been done to get you more proper specifics on your cruise so it could all get worked out.

I'm also SO sorry to hear that you experienced this. I can promise you that the vast majority of agencies are ethical and "above board" with their dealings with clients and the cruise lines. Very glad you had a "happy ending" to a situation that could have been disastrous.

this is where you find the rules, look at the section on advertising.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines