Conflicting information on bringing "liquor" on board

Catlover54

We will soon be doing our first Oceania cruise to test it and compare with SB, SS, and HL, and just got our paperwork. The cruise is only one week long, We are not getting a drinks "package" as will need to use our $600 OBC for the tips and probably internet as well ( we got conflicting information as to whether we would get free internet in a PH3 but apparently not, we are counting on not).

Our TA had told us previously we could bring 3 bottles wine on board if we carried them on, but pay $25 corkage if we drink it in dining rooms.

Now in our final paperwork I see clause 15 under the contract says "Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the ship. Liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation."

Then I read a bunch of threads on this forum and see attestations of many people bringing not just 3 bottles but unlimited wine on board, both at embarkation and at ports, but also spirits, and even putting them into suitcases, for consumption in the rooms ( or with wine $25 corkage if consumed in dining rooms). Others say the language above only applies if you are intoxicated too much, and you are good if you're not plastered.

DH and I do not want to drag CA wine on our flights, planning on paying corkage in DR, if they will just confiscate it and point to the last sentence in particular to justify their action.

Has anyone here ever had their wine or liquor confiscated on boarding, e.g., if in checked luggage?

I am inclined to check the wines we will drink, in suitcases. Worst case scenario is they impound our Napa cabs for a week and we buy as we go, and endure the ridiculous markups.

Did you book the cruise with O Life perks or just the cruise only pricing?

You mention a $600 OBC was that from Oceania or from your TA?

Cruise only, figuring OBC alternative would give us more flexibility. I think it was from Oceania, not sure if it is for being first-timers, or for being in a PH, or something else. I rarely get OBC from my TA, and if any it is very small, other than perks from a travel consortium she is a member of.

I am loyal to no line and mix and match, so sometimes I cannot remember why I got what.

We will soon be doing our first Oceania cruise to test it and compare with SB, SS, and HL, and just got our paperwork. The cruise is only one week long, We are not getting a drinks "package" as will need to use our $600 OBC for the tips and probably internet as well ( we got conflicting information as to whether we would get free internet in a PH3 but apparently not, we are counting on not).

Our TA had told us previously we could bring 3 bottles wine on board if we carried them on, but pay $25 corkage if we drink it in dining rooms.

Now in our final paperwork I see clause 15 under the contract says "Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the ship. Liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation."

Then I read a bunch of threads on this forum and see attestations of many people bringing not just 3 bottles but unlimited wine on board, both at embarkation and at ports, but also spirits, and even putting them into suitcases, for consumption in the rooms ( or with wine $25 corkage if consumed in dining rooms). Others say the language above only applies if you are intoxicated too much, and you are good if you're not plastered.

DH and I do not want to drag CA wine on our flights, planning on paying corkage in DR, if they will just confiscate it and point to the last sentence in particular to justify their action.

Has anyone here ever had their wine or liquor confiscated on boarding, e.g., if in checked luggage?

I am inclined to check the wines we will drink, in suitcases. Worst case scenario is they impound our Napa cabs for a week and we buy as we go, and endure the ridiculous markups.

Hi Catlover,

By liquor, they mean hard liquor. You are correct as far as the three bottles of wine and the corkage fee. See our writeup on Oceania's alcohol policy here.

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Good for you. Many complaints are from not reading the Contract.

>Has anyone here ever had their wine or liquor confiscated on boarding, e.g., if in checked luggage?

I have not.

But you are mixing wine and liquor into the same contract condition. Your TA's advice on the official policy on wine is correct. The contract clause you are citing is about liquor. Some dictionaries define this as "a distilled or spirituous beverage, as brandy or whiskey, as distinguished from a fermented beverage, as wine or beer." I don't know what the definition is where O' contract specifies jurisdiction.

And note it reads "reserves the right" . Does not state that this WILL happen. Overindulge to where safety or you are affecting others experience then they just might exercise that right.

I have never heard of anyone having 1, 3, 12 or more bottles of wine being confiscated. I know of two cases where the pax's liquor was commented on but not restricted. You will be fine I am sure unless you are taking a couple of 12 packs of red on a 7 day cruise.

Catlover54....I looked at my cruise vacation guides from Mar 2016 and Sept 2011 as examples. Didn't retain anything older. Your cite re liquor, bond, right to retain, etc were in each of those documents. I have routinely brought case(s) of wine and one bottle of spirits aboard per cruise. There has never been an issue. We have averaged two cruises per year since 2010. Admittedly anecdotes are not policy but over the years neither on Cruise Critic p threads nor shipboard has there been a documented instance of consification. Adults acting as such equals a non event not only in our experience but those on many others. Pack and enjoy.

John

On our last 10 day cruise out of Miami in March we brought on several bottles of spirits for use in our cabin and several bottles of wine and paid the corkage in the dining room. No eyebrows raised, no fear of confiscation and no need to pack anything in suitcases. Even bought rum in Havana (to bring home) with no problems about bringing it on the ship. Of course things can change but Oceania has always had a rather civilized attitude towards bringing on all types of alcohol for responsible consumption.

As above, I'm puzzled by the various exceptions mentioned.

We don't normally bring a lot of liquor on board but we HAVE brought it on without a problem. The most I personally have brought on is one liter of vodka and 3-4 bottles of wine. As long as we consume in the room, no problem. The corkage fee applies to wine brought to a dining room but if you don't finish the bottle they hold it for you and NO, you don't have to pay a corkage fee each time you drink from your bottle on following nights. (That's a question that has come up every so often and it's the only reason I mention it here.)

I wasn't aware of a limit on hard liquor but then we've never exceeded it ... and we only drink it in our room anyway. I know that many people bring on a case or two (or more) of wine without problems.

You shouldn't worry. And you shouldn't worry about buying something while on the cruise... I've done that as well with no questions.

It does help not to get stinking while on board ... but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on board an O cruise that WAS.

Mura

Cruise only, figuring OBC alternative would give us more flexibility. I think it was from Oceania, not sure if it is for being first-timers, or for being in a PH, or something else. I rarely get OBC from my TA, and if any it is very small, other than perks from a travel consortium she is a member of.

I am loyal to no line and mix and match, so sometimes I cannot remember why I got what.

I would find out where the OBC came from

If it was one of the O Life perks then you will get free internet also

It should tell you on your invoice from Oceania I think page 3

If you chose the cruise only fare then you may still get some free internet I think they still give PH cabin 500 min

Thanks to all who responded. The link to Oceania's policy posted by Brittany C is good to read though I do not see anything about even the 3 bottles of wine in the contract.

Three bottles, plus the champagne bottle we get on boarding in the PH, should be plenty given we will be excursioning quite a bit, and my desire to try some fancy cocktails Oceania is known for.

On a longer cruise, if we like Oceania, we would get a drinks package.

We are trying Oceania because on SB last year we met a couple from Scotland who absolutely loved it in comparison (though it may have helped their enjoyment that they were non-drinking Scottish :)

We've never had a problem bring bottles on the ship. Also when in port you can find a things you may enjoy on the ship. About that OBC from your TA----you said very small amount if any, just maybe you need to look around.

I am not sure what is going on here..Oceania has a policy..

1) Bring whatever liquor and wine on board not a problem

2) If you drink it in your cabin fine

3) if you take it in the dining room Corkage is $25.00

It is VERY simple..Please do not cheat and sneak into dining room and ruin it for the rest of us..

Jancruz1

I am not sure what is going on here..Oceania has a policy..

1) Bring whatever liquor and wine on board not a problem

2) If you drink it in your cabin fine

3) if you take it in the dining room Corkage is $25.00

It is VERY simple..Please do not cheat and sneak into dining room and ruin it for the rest of us..

Jancruz1

I think the new language in the documents is confusing people. All I can attest to is that on our 34 night Australia cruise in march our friends brought several bottles of wine on board in EVERY port. Some they drank in their cabin. Some they brought to dinner and paid corkage fee. Never an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"It is VERY simple..Please do not cheat and sneak into dining room and ruin it for the rest of us..

Jancruz1"

Please, everyone, heed this. Don't screw it up for the rest of us. As Don Horner used to say "O is treating us as adults"...so please act like one.

In one of the ports on our recent cruise in the Med we saw some ginormous wine bottles for sale outside one of the wine shops. Out of curiosity I asked our wine waitress that evening what would be the corkage and she told us it would be the same $25 and they would save it for us too for the next meal (or several some were that huge!)

The stuff we had seen was a touristy joke type of offering so we were not tempted, but I almost wished we had just for devilment to see what the reaction would have been:evilsmile::evilsmile: