Australia a big bust

and crab bait......use it in the crab traps in the river. We caught some beauties Xmas before last.

Best to not let my husband see a roo hanging around the cattle and fences at the farm:eek:

Crab and roo, a new Surf and turf aussie style.

I honestly think Australia may be better seen by land and not by cruise ship.

As an Aussie, I do believe this to be true. I also believe that there are some places which are ideal to visit by cruiseship - and many which are not suitable for various reasons. There are also places where one day is both too long and simultaneously too short for a visit. Some places where when you first arrive, there seems to be nothing of interest - but if you spend one week there, you come away saying that you din't have enough time. Some places which fascinate me and others that I have little interest in. Trouble is also that we all have perceptions of places that are not accurate. And individual places are not necessarily representative of a country. For example, London is no longer English, New York City is not America and Sydney is certainly not Australia.

On my many solo travels, not cruises, as an early middle aged bachelor, one of the things I always did on arriving at my hotel in a foreign country was to ask the Concierge desk to find me a local guide for hire on a daily basis.

You can't beat local knowledge, but of course this is not convenient to do on a cruise.

On my many solo travels, not cruises, as an early middle aged bachelor, one of the things I always did on arriving at my hotel in a foreign country was to ask the Concierge desk to find me a local guide for hire on a daily basis.

You can't beat local knowledge, but of course this is not convenient to do on a cruise.

I agree, the better private tours and also the ship's tours often have local guides to do the tour.

Tours with local guides are great. For someone who travels solo I know I would see and learn far more than if I was left to explore by myself.... but only to a point.

I think one of the tricks is not overwhelming yourself with a tour in every port though or only having a couple of longer ones and a couple of shorter ones. I took 4 tours last time and I think that was one too many for me.

On my next trip to Sydney I don't intend on much sightseeing as places will be crowded. Maybe I'll go shopping instead [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every time I see this thread come up I think he's experienced something to do with this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/14/asia/australia-billion-dollar-ice-seizure/

This thread has gone off topic, but in such an Australian way. Which is another reason 4flushing spent an over the top amount of money on an itinerary that really didn't suit his needs at all. Hence his expectations were not met. But of course that wasn't HIS fault.

Back steaks ok, the rest, pig, dog and damn good Yabby bait.

And that's it.

Hadn't thought of Yabby Bait!

And here we are letting the Roo Harvester take them away to be turned into dog food!

But seriously...shame their were issues with the ship that changed the itinerary but that's something that we all take the risk of when we book a cruise. I find when you are traveling you need to be open to change and new experiences that come along as you travel. One problem with cruise travel is that passengers can be cosseted in a familiar environment (especially when you have cruised a lot) and expect everything that is happening in the "real world" to fit in with your expectations, people forget they aren't just floating around in their favourite hotel with the world a theme park that revolves around them.

Edited by 3littlepigs

Hadn't thought of Yabby Bait!

And here we are letting the Roo Harvester take them away to be turned into dog food!

But seriously...shame their were issues with the ship that changed the itinerary but that's something that we all take the risk of when we book a cruise. I find when you are traveling you need to be open to change and new experiences that come along as you travel. One problem with cruise travel is that passengers can be cosseted in a familiar environment (especially when you have cruised a lot) and expect everything that is happening in the "real world" to fit in with your expectations, people forget they aren't just floating around in their favourite hotel with the world a theme park that revolves around them.

Lucky dogs.

The beauty of cruising is don't have do alot of research. I run a business and work 80-90 hours a week. I have been on 30 plus cruises over the years. I expect the cruise line to my research and offer the excursions to the highlights that must be seen. It was really the tenders that spoiled my mood and added to my frustration. Australia may well be a wonderful place to visit but the ports we went to and the time to take tenders at every port made it less then enjoyable

Appreciate these added posts, clarifications and details from our original poster. Very helpful and informative!! That helps much to understand the challenges facing 4flushing and his work time pressures. Clearly much of the "mess" should be credited to NCL. Tenders are not always best, especially if the cruise line does not manage that process properly. Plus, NCL's other failures.

YES, I plead "GUILTY", as others have noted, that we had a great time in both Australia and New Zealand. That has outlined as my live/blog has documented and provided visual evidence. Clearly our wide-ranging research and planning did take some time and paid off. In the Caribbean and a few other places, just showing up the ports and letting the ships guide you can be enough. Appreciate that some others, as with with work and/or family, might not be as flexible to put in the time to do what we and others have done to prepare accordingly.

We also did a mix of BOTH land options (Great Barrier Reef/rainforest, Kangaroo Island, Queenstown) along with what was reached by cruise ship. Plus, we had added time in addition what could be done from the cruise ship for Sydney and Auckland, before and after sailing.

As always, I so have enjoyed the wide range of smart, somewhat flip, fun and insightful comments from many other posters, especially those from Australia. Love those Aussies!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 175,602 views for this posting.

Appreciate these added posts, clarifications and details from our original poster. Very helpful and informative!! That helps much to understand the challenges facing 4flushing and his work time pressures. Clearly much of the "mess" should be credited to NCL. Tenders are not always best, especially if the cruise line does not manage that process properly. Plus, NCL's other failures.

YES, I plead "GUILTY", as others have noted, that we had a great time in both Australia and New Zealand. That has outlined as my live/blog has documented and provided visual evidence. Clearly our wide-ranging research and planning did take some time and paid off. In the Caribbean and a few other places, just showing up the ports and letting the ships guide you can be enough. Appreciate that some others, as with with work and/or family, might not be as flexible to put in the time to do what we and others have done to prepare accordingly.

We also did a mix of BOTH land options (Great Barrier Reef/rainforest, Kangaroo Island, Queenstown) along with what was reached by cruise ship. Plus, we had added time in addition what could be done from the cruise ship for Sydney and Auckland, before and after sailing.

As always, I so have enjoyed the wide range of smart, somewhat flip, fun and insightful comments from many other posters, especially those from Australia. Love those Aussies!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Good post, as you mentioned, there are some places where you can just rock up on a cruise and not have to do any planning.

However, the minute you want to see very particular item of interest (whether that be a place, an animal or whatever), you need to research and plan to be able to see it or the odds are you will miss it.