Is my math wrong?

HaliMakai

I booked an 8 day Holiday cruise on the Silhouette about a month ago. I booked a veranda guarantee and all in the fare was $2590.66, which included 2 perks (Classic Beverage and $300 on board spending). So if you take the $2590.66 and add tips of $216.00 which I will pay. We would be at $2806.66. The promo running now is veranda guarantee with the Go Best (all perks) would be $2840.24. so basically (in my mind) by paying the extra $40.00 I would get the premium beverage package and internet because the we would still get the $300 on board credit and tips.

I called and talked to a rep and she insisted that it would not be a better deal for me. I tried to explain where I was coming from and she was like no no that does not work out. I asked if it was possible to upgrade to the go best and she said yes (we are past the final payment). I ran out of time arguing with her because I had an appointment, but am I crazy?

I booked an 8 day Holiday cruise on the Silhouette about a month ago. I booked a veranda guarantee and all in the fare was $2590.66, which included 2 perks (Classic Beverage and $300 on board spending). So if you take the $2590.66 and add tips of $216.00 which I will pay. We would be at $2806.66. The promo running now is veranda guarantee with the Go Best (all perks) would be $2840.24. so basically (in my mind) by paying the extra $40.00 I would get the premium beverage package and internet because the we would still get the $300 on board credit and tips.

I called and talked to a rep and she insisted that it would not be a better deal for me. I tried to explain where I was coming from and she was like no no that does not work out. I asked if it was possible to upgrade to the go best and she said yes (we are past the final payment). I ran out of time arguing with her because I had an appointment, but am I crazy?

According to what you listed, you appear to gain gratuities, the $11.80pp/night Premium drinks upgrade and free unlimited internet. Are there any penalties for changing or cancelling your reservation after final payment? What about your on board booking credit? you didn't mention that.

Did the rep explain why they thought it would not be a better deal?

Perhaps you'll get a different perspective if you talk with a different rep.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The on board credit is the same $300.00. She had a heavy accent and I really could not get out of her why it would not work. I think you may be right about trying a different agent. If I get a chance today I will try to call again. The funny thing is we have already been assigned a cabin and I was not asking to change that but she was looking for other cabins and not listening to what I was saying.

The on board credit is the same $300.00. She had a heavy accent and I really could not get out of her why it would not work. I think you may be right about trying a different agent. If I get a chance today I will try to call again. The funny thing is we have already been assigned a cabin and I was not asking to change that but she was looking for other cabins and not listening to what I was saying.

I thought the $300 OBC came as one of the two perks ($150pp.) Didn't you also get a signing bonus of $200 OBC for booking while on the cruise?

Are you Captains Club? Call back and ask one of those agents. Sometimes you can get to the right person who understands your questions and explains in detail the cost comparisons. If not Captains Club I would still call the general Celebrity number again to get your questions answered to your satisfaction.

The promo running now is veranda guarantee with the Go Best (all perks) would be $2840.24.

I am not sure about your math, but if you do this you will have to go back into the guarantee pool and will lose the cabin you were assigned.

Guarantee cabins are assigned by the revenue department and not the reservation agents who answer the phones.

Also, I agree with the poster who said to call Captain's Club number if you are a member and see if they can help you.

The problem is, you are past final payment and Celebrity will only allow you to upgrade to a higher level of stateroom, not add additional perks to your existing booking.

In order to get the perks from the go best package you would have to upgrade and the lowest price upgrade looks like a total of $139, your calculated $40 and the higher price of $99. New total $2939.24.

Are you Captains Club? Call back and ask one of those agents. Sometimes you can get to the right person who understands your questions and explains in detail the cost comparisons. If not Captains Club I would still call the general Celebrity number again to get your questions answered to your satisfaction.

Most times Captains Club reps are wonderful. I had an outstanding one last week. In fact, I asked to speak with her supervisor and gave her a glowing report. I believe wonderful customer service should be recognized. Unfortunately, when I needed to call again she was not in. I went round and round with the rep and it took over 2 hours to resolve what should have taken under 5 minutes, not kidding. I asked for a supervisor and he would not give me one. He instead wanted me to give him more time. I had already spent an hour on the phone with him. However, I gave him another hour, and called back. He still did not get it. I asked AGAIN for a supervisor. He agreed because he was SURE he was in the right. BTW, I was very nice and patient. In LESS THAN 5 minutes, the Supervisor agreed with me...it was a mathematical situation. There was no way I was going to pay $58 more when I knew my math was correct!

The problem is, you are past final payment and Celebrity will only allow you to upgrade to a higher level of stateroom, not add additional perks to your existing booking.

In order to get the perks from the go best package you would have to upgrade and the lowest price upgrade looks like a total of $139, your calculated $40 and the higher price of $99. New total $2939.24.

I think this is what the problem could have been. Your new cabin that you want to upgrade to has to be at least one dollar more than your previous booking. I was on a cruise and booked at a very good price for an inside cabin. I was able to upgrade to a concierge balcony once past final payment date but others that were booked in an oceanview cabin and paid more than the concierge balcony cabins were going for were not able to upgrade. This was all based on cabin price and not the price of the included perks.

But, I still think it would be worth a call back and hopefully getting somebody different on the phone.

The real problem is that you only booked an 8 day cruise!....:D

Do you need to factor in the additional gratuity on the premium beverage package?