Cancellation Insurance?

beltane

I have another question...

Hubs and I both have very elderly, very sick parents. We've never purchased cancellation insurance before. We booked our cruise ourselves through Celebrity, should I simply phone Celebrity back and arrange cancellation insurance through them? Or is this something I arrange through another source? Is it worth it, or do they make it very difficult to make a claim if one of our parents were on death's door or died? We wouldn't leave the cruise if there was a death while we were away, but we certainly would probably stay home if one of them was so ill that most likely death was imminent. (Sorry for the morbid topic.)

Am open to any and all suggestions...

Many thanks.

We buy multi-trip insurance through Manulife that covers us for any trip outside of Canada up to 10 days in duration. Cancellation is covered in our policy, though I'll admit, I don't know all the ins and outs of it as we don't currently have an immediate reason to worry about cancelling a trip. We have previously bought travel/cancellation insurance through President's Choice and RBC, but find Manulife has the best value for the dollar. Good luck - I hope you won't need the insurance!

I hope you won't need the insurance!

Thanks. I hope so too. BOY do we need this vacation! I never ever expected caring for elderly parents to be SO stressful! It's been emotionally harder than raising a family. :eek:

We started buying travel insurance several years ago after we had to cancel a cruise when a family member died unexpectedly. Carnival didn't have to refund but they gave us half back on our credit card and half in the form of future cruise credit. We were very lucky and decided after that experience we would ALWAYS buy insurance! We buy from Allianz Travel Insurance and it is always cheaper than the cruise line prices. We have filed a claim since then and although it took several weeks, we did receive a refund. In addition to cancellation coverage, the medical evacuation insurance Is VERY important and could cost a fortune if someone has to be airlifted and flown to a hospital or back home. I hate paying for insurance for anything, but we decided we can't afford not to buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for asking this question and to the poster for directing us to the right board on cc. Am facing the same issue and looking for cancel for any reason insurance. Easier to find in the U.S. than in Canada it seems.

Call an agent like Steve at https://tripinsurancestore.com/ and talk to him. I usually buy my own through https://insuremytrip.com, but only if I'm buying at the same time I book my cruise (less restrictions that way).

You are buying for the sudden illness or death of a family member, not the much, much more expensive "cancel for any reason" insurance that may not even be available to you. But there are some tricky exclusions based on the person's relationship to you, if you are not the full time care taker, etc. An agent will know the specific exclusions and help you choose a policy that will actually payout if you have to use it.

Well, we have a different experience with insurance from a cruise line. On a Med cruise, had a medical emergency that required us to fly home for treatment. Insurance from X reimbursed for unused portion of cruise (11 out of 14 days!), as well as walk up air fare for 2 from Athens to NYC. X's insurance reps knew we were off the ship and contacted us before we had a chance to contact them. Outstanding service IMHO!

Edited by eddiethekub

Seeing that you are from Toronto, we used TravelGuard, a Canadian company. Great prices and even better policies.

We had a bad experience with some US online insurance brokers.

For example, our cruise was delayed getting in so we missed our flight home. The insurance company declined our claim as we needed to miss our connection by a min. of 6 hours. Not the 4-5 hours we were delayed.😐 TravelGuard is only 2 hours.

This is one example of the details you need to check ( which we did not ).

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

I have another question...

Hubs and I both have very elderly, very sick parents. We've never purchased cancellation insurance before. We booked our cruise ourselves through Celebrity, should I simply phone Celebrity back and arrange cancellation insurance through them? Or is this something I arrange through another source? Is it worth it, or do they make it very difficult to make a claim if one of our parents were on death's door or died? We wouldn't leave the cruise if there was a death while we were away, but we certainly would probably stay home if one of them was so ill that most likely death was imminent. (Sorry for the morbid topic.)

Am open to any and all suggestions...

Many thanks.

We do not travel without trip insurance, not only for medical reasons. but for other fortuitous events that can not be anticipated. It also covers medical conditions, including death, of immediate family. Parents are one of them. It can be a reason for trip cancellation (before cruise) or interruption (during cruise). We always use a 3rd party insurance company.

I always buy trip insurance through the cruise line, just be careful that you read the policy limitations before purchasing. This past March I had to cancel our cruise due to my wife's medical issue, the cruise line's insurance carrier handled the claim in a very professional manner and made full reimbursement upon submission of medical documentation.

We have travel insurance year round through TD. Pay a bit each month and it covers medical and emergency items like cancelation.

We travel a fair amount and it makes a lot of sense for us rather than buying it onezie twozies.

FWIW it covers:

Year round unlimited trips.

$3,000 trip cancellation coverage per person ($15,000 total for all insured persons per year)

Included $5,000 trip interruption coverage per person, per trip

Included Travel medical coverage up to $2 million per person, per trip

And costs $ 200.00 each a year for the two of us.

Edited by A Sixth?

Be very careful when buying your insurance -- you may require the assist of an agent. Insurance policies can work hard to avoid payment when your parent has an ongoing medical condition. I know someone who booked a tour to the Holy Land and was sure she had good insurance coverage since she had an elderly mother with multiple health issues. She cancelled when her mother was doing poorly, and the insurance wouldn't pay because there were ongoing changes in her condition ---- mother wasn't stable for 2 months before the policy was bought. So, do a lot of research first. A cancel for any reason would probably be the safest bet.

A Sixth? -- Thanks for the heads up.

Cheeseheads -- I had to look it up as well, here's the link...

https://www.tdinsurance.com/products-services/travel-medical-insurance/index.jsp

Oops - just noted this is listed for Canada -- Other insurance companies may also offer, we are going to check with our insurance company

Edited by Von & John

If you have a United Airlines Credit card and charge the cruise on you credit card you can get up to $10,000 back if you cancel your cruise. This only applies to canceling not medical insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same with Chase Sapphire card.......also includes auto collision on car rentals, trip delay and trip interruption.

Be very careful when buying your insurance -- you may require the assist of an agent. Insurance policies can work hard to avoid payment when your parent has an ongoing medical condition. I know someone who booked a tour to the Holy Land and was sure she had good insurance coverage since she had an elderly mother with multiple health issues. She cancelled when her mother was doing poorly, and the insurance wouldn't pay because there were ongoing changes in her condition ---- mother wasn't stable for 2 months before the policy was bought. So, do a lot of research first. A cancel for any reason would probably be the safest bet.

On checking our insurance policy it seems that we are not covered in the event of having to cancel or curtail our trip due to the death of a close relative if we were aware of their prognosis at the time we took out the policy.

Sadly my father in law is in the final phase of Liver cancer and it may well be the case that we may not make our trip, or have to fly home should the worst happen. I see their point, it is us that are taking the risk of vacationing whilst he is so ill, however, he wasn't this advanced at the time of insurance purchase, although the prognosis was of course the same.

Every policy I have looked at here (UK) has the same exclusion.

Sorry too to be morbid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app