Cover Charge for Solarium Restaurant Dropped

As of this week, on the Oasis of the Seas, there is no longer a cover charge for dinner at the Solarium restaurant. Don't know about the Allure but assume the same thing. Never was a cover charge on the Harmony.

We noticed that the on-line reservations, from several weeks ago, were showing no charge for this weeks cruise. So I asked when we got on board and was told by the manager that the cover charge was dropped this week.

Had a nice meal there last night as an alternative from the Coastal Kitchen.

It was kind of funny, if not rediculous, seeing the "Life Guard" at the adults only Solarium wading pool.

According to the cruise planner, there are two items that are an additional charge. Lobster Tail is $15 and Lamb Chops are $10.

Thanks, sounds like the bison steak is gone.

Oasis Solarium is open with reservations to any guests. It is no longer Samba Steakhouse. It is now a "generic restaurant." No menu items have an extra charge. Many items are presented buffet style, including desserts; however, the waiter takes the entrée order and serves it along with water, etc. There is a large selection of entrees which includes lamb chops and a fish (sorry do not remember which kind.) It's a nice alternative to the Windjammer if you want a change from main dining room.

Oasis Solarium is open with reservations to any guests. It is no longer Samba Steakhouse. It is now a "generic restaurant." No menu items have an extra charge. Many items are presented buffet style, including desserts; however, the waiter takes the entrée order and serves it along with water, etc. There is a large selection of entrees which includes lamb chops and a fish (sorry do not remember which kind.) It's a nice alternative to the Windjammer if you want a change from main dining room.

Oasis never had Samba. It has always been the Solarium Bistro even in the evening and up until now has had a fee to find there. It is on Allure that the Solarium Bistro converts to Samba for dinner.

Reading Oasis Solarium dinner menu right now. Entrees are:

Grilled Salmon, Mahi Mahi, Grilled Shrimp, Pepper Roasted Chicken, New York Strip Steak, Chicken Kebab and Lamb Chop.

No charge for any of these and no mention of ala carte items with a fee. However, the menu is the old one because it still shows that an 18% gratuity will be added to your check. Of course 18% of zero is $0.

I asked the manager if the servers were in the regular gratuity pool, ie MDR et al, and he said yes, they are getting shares equal to the MDR staff.

Thanks for posting OP. Is it possible to clarify if the "no fee" is open to all passengers regardless of room type and that they are not just waiving the fee for those in suites?

A little disconcerting that according to others the cruise planner and interactive TV's on board are still showing a charge.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Thanks for posting OP. Is it possible to clarify if the "no fee" is open to all passengers regardless of room type and that they are not just waiving the fee for those in suites?

A little disconcerting that according to others the cruise planner and interactive TV's on board are still showing a charge.

So I just talked to the Solarium manager again to get clarification and was told that anyone with "My Time Dining" can go to the Solarium for dinner without a fee. This is to alleviate the long wait times (and complaints) for MTD. So I stand corrected, this is not for everyone on the ship.

PS we had been assigned MTD even though we were not planning to use the dining room and that is why we were not charged. Not sure if this is why the advanced web site reservations showed "no fee".

So I just talked to the Solarium manager again to get clarification and was told that anyone with "My Time Dining" can go to the Solarium for dinner without a fee. This is to alleviate the long wait times (and complaints) for MTD. So I stand corrected, this is not for everyone on the ship.

Thank you for the additional info. Not sure how I feel about only waiving the fee for those with MTD and still charging those with set dining times, but oh well.

We were on Oasis last week, and made online pre-cruise reservations for Solarium Bistro for one night; otherwise, we had set dining time in MDR. We were not charged for the Solarium Bistro. Although we were in a JS, I am quite sure that any cabin can reserve and go to the Solarium Bistro for dinner.

However, as i have detailed elsewhere, it was not a great experience and I would not recommend it. Others have had more success.

There were reports from several weeks ago that there was no charge for solarium bistro on Oasis. On Harmony solarium bistro is free for all guests regardless of cabin category or dining preference. No reason to suspect it is any different then that. Royal has a difficult time keeping its website updated so it's not surprising that some information on the ship is not current.