Another Royal class ship for Princess announced

caribill

Wooohoooo.....the more the merrier....

31600800743_078abd848d_t_d.jpg

I'd like to see the next two sister ships take on the covered Retreat area similar to what Majestic Princess has, as well as some of the new extended balconies fore and aft.

Please Google "cruise ship design". You may find the article I did that spoke of engineering changes below decks, and outward changes that passengers will notice. An example for this discussion are the newish Carnival ships, e. g. the Carnival Magic. Please notice the WRAPAROUND PROMENADE!!!!! And the TWO DECK promenade! Totallly different than the Royal class.

You will not see these in the next two Royal-class either. The newer ships of Carnival Cruise Lines are based off of a different platform where the lifeboats are mounted out away from the hull on the side allowing for the promenade deck to be built on top of them (like the Norwegian Breakaway and her sisters), whereas the Royal-class (like the Celebrity Solstice-, MSC Meraviglia-, and HAL's Koningsdam-class ships) have their lifeboats deck-mounted on the promenade deck allowing only the single-level promenade. And don't expect Princess Cruises to take up something similar to the MSC Seaside design, although that would be a move in the right direction.

The wraparound also won't happen on the Royal-class because of the way the forward and aft main public rooms are built. You'd have to reconfigure their entire design to have a wraparound promenade.

The Royal-class will never have a full, wide, wraparound promenade. Never. Some folks had better face up to that fact. Maybe the next design after they build 10 Royal-class will, but the way Princess Cruises ship design is going now I doubt it.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

I so wish they'd build some smaller ships, but I guess that the $$$$$ dictate otherwise.

So do I. I'd love to see a new ship or two in the Australian region but the Royal class is too big. Many ports, especially those in the South Pacific which are mostly tender ports, would be swamped with 3,500 passengers going ashore.

So do I. I'd love to see a new ship or two in the Australian region but the Royal class is too big. Many ports, especially those in the South Pacific which are mostly tender ports, would be swamped with 3,500 passengers going ashore.

Yep, we found even Diamond and Emerald too big for some ports.

If they do it will go to LA. Where is the love for SF? We don't need a Royal Class ship there - just give us the Crown or Emerald or Ruby. That would be fine.

You can have all the Royal class ships and we'll take the Crown class out of San Pedro.....:):):)

Bob

Now, I am just speculating, but is clearance under the Golden Gate Bridge an issue for the larger Princess ships?

Stan

QM2 fits under the Golden Gate, so it should be no problem for the Royal-class.

The Grand is getting old & probably on the list to go very shortly.

They just spent a ton of money on a drydock, so she'll probably be staying in the fleet for a few years.

I'm now convinced that Princess will redeploy a Royal-class ship or two to the West Coast in the next 2-3 years. :)

Please make it so. I think that there would be a big uptick to the 4 itineraries the west coast has. Those that we have now have lost their charm.

Hmmm... Good points.

I really wish more ships would offer Alredo's (at least the pizza) in Sabatini's or another venue at lunch time. We really enjoyed it on a couple of ships. Grand Princess does have the advantage of a dedicated Alfredo's. (I just wish my stupid brain would remember not to head up the center stairs! :rolleyes:)

The Royal and the Regal both have Alfredo's, only better. Same great pizza but other tasty Italian dishes and great salads. I would assume the new ships would also continue with Alfredo's. Thrak, you really need to try a Royal class ship to make a fair comparison. I used to be happy with the Grand and Grand class ships but the Royal, even without a wrap around promenade would make a great replacement. There are just so many more pluses.

They just spent a ton of money on a drydock, so she'll probably be staying in the fleet for a few years.

That's true but it's still one of the oldest around and destined to be let go one of these days when they have enough newer ships to replace it.

Ships don't normally go much past the 20 year life cycle.

I'm just guessing, but the Sun class ships are getting a little long in the tooth. Hypothetically, Princess is expanding their market (the Majestic in China/Asia) and will be refreshing the ships serving Oceania.

If past experience is anything, Princess will probably move a Royal class or two to the west coast and then move some of the older Grand class to Australia.

Just speculating, nothing more.

Well the Golden has a Handicapped Accessible Window Suite which I thoroughly enjoyed last November, and have booked the same itinerary again for THIS November. IIRC, both the Caribbean and Grand ships are the same layout-have not recently checked the deckplans but will go and look after I post this-so I should be able to sail in a Window Suite.

My friend who got me interesting in cruising, did warn me the Suite Balcony door is heavy glass and can be quite hard to open from the balcony to return into the Suite-she was on the Sea Princess here in Australia. So my option is a Handicapped Accessible Oceanview or a Handicapped Accessible Inside and hope I don't get seasick with no outside view. Only slight feeling of unease on the Saturday night-silly me had looked out of the windows while at the Platinum/Elite/Suite function and saw just how bouncy it was! I hurriedly finished my snack and retired back down where I didn't feel the movement as much. I may be able to manage in a regular Oceanview stateroom, I can manage a small lip entering the shower, have managed when staying in a motel that wasn't designed for Handicapped Accessibility, just cautious about spoiling a nice holiday with a fall through stupidity!

My guess? The Pacific. Not that I want her to leave the fleet but I'm pretty sure Princess has been shopping her.

Sending the Golden and Emerald to Australia has "refreshed" the options for that region.

Follow the money... always. If a ship is costing Princess more to operate, it'll be replaced.

We're just off the Pacific and were told by a reliable source that Princess has recently committed to at least 7 more years with her and that she will undergo a major retrofit this coming year.

I think she offers a real different feel than the other ships that appeal to a certain group of passengers that Princess would like to keep.

We're just off the Pacific and were told by a reliable source that Princess has recently committed to at least 7 more years with her and that she will undergo a major retrofit this coming year.

I think she offers a real different feel than the other ships that appeal to a certain group of passengers that Princess would like to keep.

That's good to hear. I'd heard from a "reliable source" that she was being shopped. We shall see. :)

Yes, she's scheduled for a drydock after she returns from the World Cruise.

Incorrect how do you Know that ? They didnt anounced yet where They Will sail

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, they haven't announced yet where they sail, but it would make NO sense to send them all to China! There are many very well informed people on this thread and board. Ask them. Princess moves its ships around and they will certainly not send all of its new builds to the same area.

That's true but it's still one of the oldest around and destined to be let go one of these days when they have enough newer ships to replace it.

Ships don't normally go much past the 20 year life cycle.

Basically CCL Corp (which owns Princess and some other brands) is practicing measured growth, increasing the number of beds available at a rate they believe creates relative scarcity (more demand than supply means higher cruise pricing).

If the growth is too fast, they can adjust it by relocating older ships, either transferring them to other CCL brands or by selling them.

From a Carnival Corp press release:

Princess Cruises' new 145,000-ton ship will carry 3,660 passengers and will be its sixth "Royal" class vessel, featuring the successful design platform used on Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Majestic Princess, the world's first ship designed specifically for the China market and scheduled for delivery in March 2017, as well as its sister ships – the two yet-to-be-named vessels also under construction by Fincantieri scheduled for delivery in 2019 and 2020.

The ship for Princess Cruises will be built at Fincantieri's Monfalcone, Italy, shipyard with an expected delivery in 2022.

Great news...always like trying their new ships!!!

No, they haven't announced yet where they sail, but it would make NO sense to send them all to China! There are many very well informed people on this thread and board. Ask them. Princess moves its ships around and they will certainly not send all of its new builds to the same area.

Quantum class ship : 3 ships and 2 of the 3 are in china ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums