Pre-booking and pre-paying

MaxThrusters

Hello! I'm really excited for my upcoming cruise. One of the things I hated about previous cruises was the huge bill at the end. This time around I've pre-booked and pre-paid a bunch of stuff to have that check out bill be as low as possible. Do other people do this too?

Stuff I have prepaid: Excursions, something at every port! Gin & Tonic package for the stateroom. Water, 12 bottles. Admiral Wine package. OBC $300 (to cover the HSC). One premium dinner (the fancy dinner at Pinnacle, de Librije or however it is spelled). Retreat cabana. Half moon key cabana with butler service.

Was this a good idea? We got a great deal for our stateroom, so I thought it OK to prepay a bunch of stuff and avoid a huge bill at the end.

I have generally prepaid enough that I usually get a small refund at the end of the cruise. Sure is nice to get off the ship owing nothing!

Just to be clear the refund you would receive from a "OBC" is one you have purchased, not one offered by the cruise line? Correct me if I am wrong.

Just to be clear the refund you would receive from a "OBC" is one you have purchased, not one offered by the cruise line? Correct me if I am wrong.

I spend more than the OBC provided by HAL, the refund is from OBC I have purchased or has been provided by a TA.

Hello! I'm really excited for my upcoming cruise. One of the things I hated about previous cruises was the huge bill at the end. This time around I've pre-booked and pre-paid a bunch of stuff to have that check out bill be as low as possible. Do other people do this too?

Stuff I have prepaid: Excursions, something at every port! Gin & Tonic package for the stateroom. Water, 12 bottles. Admiral Wine package. OBC $300 (to cover the HSC). One premium dinner (the fancy dinner at Pinnacle, de Librije or however it is spelled). Retreat cabana. Half moon key cabana with butler service.

Was this a good idea? We got a great deal for our stateroom, so I thought it OK to prepay a bunch of stuff and avoid a huge bill at the end.

Given the low interest rates on investments and banks, it doesn't make a lot of difference if you spend it now or spend it later. Sounds like you're treating yourself to a lot of goodies. Think how great it will feel at the end of the cruise to know there isn't a big bill waiting.

Back in the days when you couldn't pre-book anything (dark ages before the internet), everything was on the bill at the end. We used to joke about lying awake on the last night, listening for the sound of the bill being slipped under the door and wondering how many pages it was.

I do the same MaxThrusters.

I like to have things arranged so always do my specialty dining, beverage cards, OBC, liquor/wine for the room, etc.

For me, there are 2 advantages - no large bill at the end of the cruise but even more important - choosing when I get billed in US $. The exchange rate can be akiller if it is the wrong time (ok, it's a killer anyways ;) ). But at least I can choose the timing to pay.

Thanks all for the input!

Yes, the exchange rate matters for me, being Canadian and paying in USD. Right now it's as good as I expect it will get for awhile, 80c on the $.

3rdgencunarder I liked your anecdote

Cdn $ forecasts are contradictory and what happens in the future is an unkown.

But the current rate is definitely attractive compared to where it has been ;)

I don't blame you a bit. I did the same the other day ;)

We started getting the drink packages with the cruise and it sure felt more like a vacation rather than worrying about the cost our two grey good martinis being 26 bucks a round plus all the waters while heading out to ports etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

True, but I booked almost a year ago and spread all the payments out over the last 10 months, same amount at the end, it just didn't hurt as bad as one giant bill!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happy that arrangement worked out for you. Important thing is to pay the bills when we can. I feel sorry for people who do not budget at all one way or the other and are shocked at the cruise end statement.

I've actually given up on the beverage packages. I find I get too drunk and am too hungover in the mornings for excursions! I also don't like to drink cocktails every single day. The wine package, a cocktail in the Ocean Bar, and a few gin & tonic in the stateroom should do me in for the night.

We do not buy them either. Besides, only one of us can drink alcoholic beverages.

The cruise lines push them very hard because of the the incredible profit margins in on board liquer sales. Same reason restaurants push wine, pre dinner and post dinner drinks.

Thanks all for the input!

Yes, the exchange rate matters for me, being Canadian and paying in USD. Right now it's as good as I expect it will get for awhile, 80c on the $.

3rdgencunarder I liked your anecdote

I am loading up my US fund account for the future payment, which I guess is kind of paying our expenses in advance.

• 4 months later...
Cdn $ forecasts are contradictory and what happens in the future is an unkown.

But the current rate is definitely attractive compared to where it has been ;)

I don't blame you a bit. I did the same the other day ;)

Don't forget unless you have an in with a bank employee, the institution charges two percent on top of the U.S. exchange.

Of course it is a good idea. You should be proud of yourself. Just imagine how much the interest payment would be if you had to carry those charges on your credit card while you paid them off.

I think it is a great idea -- yes, there is a bill involved no matter when you pay it but what a great feeling to walk off the ship owing little to nothing!

I especially like the idea of buying OBC to cover the HSC. If it is "paid in advance", it's seems like it's "not there".

We were on two HAL cruises last month and still heard people at Guest Services asking for explanations of HSC and being shocked at how expensive they thought it was.