Equinox Captain....true or not true

midwestchick

Have not heard that. But seems that it would be strange to make the change so soon after she arrived at Summit.

- Joel

That's what I thought too. Is it possible X is really trying to promote their first female Captain? I think she does a great job but we were really hoping to sail with Capt. Leo again.

I will add...no flames please because this thread is certainly not meant to discount Kate in any way.

We just got off Equinox after a B2B on the Jan 22 and Feb 1 cruises. Captain Leo said he would be leaving during the middle of the next cruise. He did not mention his replacement.

Strange. I know people who were on the Equinox a couple of weeks ago and they asked Leo specifically if he would be on the ship on May 9th and he told them he would be. Do assignments change that quickly?

Strange. I know people who were on the Equinox a couple of weeks ago and they asked Leo specifically if he would be on the ship on May 9th and he told them he would be. Do assignments change that quickly?

I don't know about corporate policy on assignments but I can think of several reasons why a member of staff employed anywhere might leave their post, change their post, or take a leave of absence at short notice.

Lots of possibilities, we have had captains replaced during cruises, sometimes to replacing other captains who are ill. We have had a captain who was assigned to a new build, and was based at the shipyard during the construction of a new ship, and was then captain for the first cruises. Also they move between brands, a relative was a captain on P&O and then moved to Princess, both in the Carnival group.

captains often take vacations.

Just did a b2b on the Summit. Captain Kate was on vacation. We had Captain Alex Popodoppolis (sp.?) . He said that Capt. Kate was on vacation. He did not say when she was to return. Last June, we sailed on the Summit and had Capt. Demetrios Kufetsis. Capt. Kate took over the Summit in summer 2015. Capt. Kufetsis was on the Silhouette when we sailed in October. With people going on vacation or moving to other ships, it is unusual to find the same staff working on the same ship for several years. Just enjoy whoever is the captain on your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the Celebrity Facebook page advertises:

Sail to Europe this May with our Captain of the Moment, Captain Leonardos Palaiokrassas.

Good, but it doesn't say on which ship. I read that he is now on the Equinox and I guess he will stay on her at least to cross the Atlantic but will he stay on her after that or quit for vacation or move to another ship?

We will be on the Equinox from Oct 15 to Nov 7 and we would like to enjoy his presence. We sailed on the Summit two times with him as the Master and found him very entertaining. OK, someone might object that what they are expecting from a Master Captain is to properly sail and supervise the ship but I'm sure that all the Celebrity Captains are fully qualified for that. The personality of Captain Leo is a plus that make him enjoyable for the passengers.

Edited by vivi9909

Captains-3 months on then 3 months off.

Norris

Does it really matter so long as they know how to drive the ship safely :)

I agree Mate! Who books a cruise because of the Captain? Now, if they had

a great Chef, maybe I would consider that cruise over another!

UKtog.

I agree as long as they steer well, I'm happy. This captain thing seems to matter for our North American friends;)

Please, don't generalize. :eek: I couldn't care less who the Captain is. Nor the rest of the officers on board, for that matter, as I've never had a cruise that was spoiled or enhanced by the presence of a particular officer.

Just got off the Equinox today. Capt Leo left for vacation on Friday. CD Alejandro will be leaving for vacation after the current 11 day cruise. Hope this helps.

I also returned from the Feb 12th sailing. It was an amazing trip!! Captain Leo did leave for his scheduled vacation on Friday. (3 months off). Captain Costas Nestoroudis took charge. I was very happy with all aspects of this cruise!! If anyone has Daniella from Romania in the Select Seating Dining Room make sure you request to keep her as your server, she was perfect.....professional, pleasant, and knew her job to perfection.:)

I also returned from the Feb 12th sailing. It was an amazing trip!! Captain Leo did leave for his scheduled vacation on Friday. (3 months off). Captain Costas Nestoroudis took charge. I was very happy with all aspects of this cruise!! If anyone has Daniella from Romania in the Select Seating Dining Room make sure you request to keep her as your server, she was perfect.....professional, pleasant, and knew her job to perfection.:)

Thanks for posting. Capt. Leo may not be back by May 9th then. I sail for the itinerary and the cruiseline, but it's nice to have a Captain, officers and crew that make you welcome.

We did not feel that on our first X cruise on the Silhouette. At our meet & mingle party, the Capt. and officers were not friendly or welcoming. After sailing on Azamara before X, DH and I were amazed at what a difference the Capt., officers and staff have to do with making the whole experience an even more positive experience.

Sometimes a great captain makes a difference. We sailed twice with Captain Tasos on the Constellation and his presentation with slide show on the building of a new cruise ship was the most informative and entertaining day time onboard activity I have ever attended! His daily announcements were funny, he was present at some of the events and we felt that he contributed to the entire cruise experience as if his ambition and enthusiasm trickled down on all the staff. Really, we did another Constellation with another captain and everything was just a bit less inspired.

Sometimes a great captain makes a difference. We sailed twice with Captain Tasos on the Constellation and his presentation with slide show on the building of a new cruise ship was the most informative and entertaining day time onboard activity I have ever attended! His daily announcements were funny, he was present at some of the events and we felt that he contributed to the entire cruise experience as if his ambition and enthusiasm trickled down on all the staff. Really, we did another Constellation with another captain and everything was just a bit less inspired.

I was going to reply to a previous poster with almost exactly the same post that you posted!

I didn't think it was possible when first started cruising, but it really can make a difference in the atmosphere on the ship. I have had multiple employees (cc host, room attendant and others) specifically mention in conversation that "captain x" makes the ship a much more enjoyable experience to work at (they might have also said "fun"), than some other captains.

The captain really does/can set the overall mood for the ship.

On recent cruise you could tell, at least with conversations with the cc host, that the captain on that sailing was not one of the captains I mentioned above. Not saying that anything is wrong with that, but some personalities are more conducive to boost morale.