Impact of Drink Packages on RCCL Cruises

We've not sailed on RCCL since the advent of the all-inclusive alcohol packages and, having read these boards of late, I'm worried.

In the past, there were countless threads on smuggling alcohol. Now it seems that every other thread is about drinking -- how much you have to drink to "break even," which package, etc. And reviews of the ship we're sailing suggest long lines for drinks, horrendous crowds at bars and lounges, etc. -- all due to the introduction of these packages.

We aren't doing a drink package. I enjoy the occasional glass of wine but would never drink enough to warrant a package, and my DH is a non-drinker.

We don't want to be on a ship where most of the passengers are getting tanked in order to get their "money's worth" on the alcohol packages. We're not looking for a "party ship."

Someone please reassure me that my fears are unwarranted!

We've not sailed on RCCL since the advent of the all-inclusive alcohol packages and, having read these boards of late, I'm worried.

In the past, there were countless threads on smuggling alcohol. Now it seems that every other thread is about drinking -- how much you have to drink to "break even," which package, etc. And reviews of the ship we're sailing suggest long lines for drinks, horrendous crowds at bars and lounges, etc. -- all due to the introduction of these packages.

We aren't doing a drink package. I enjoy the occasional glass of wine but would never drink enough to warrant a package, and my DH is a non-drinker.

We don't want to be on a ship where most of the passengers are getting tanked in order to get their "money's worth" on the alcohol packages. We're not looking for a "party ship."

We get the drink package every time and never get 'tanked' to get our money's worth. It doesn't take that much drinking to break even.

As an example; we get the fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast, specialty coffee, a bottle of water as we leave on port days (already 3/5 of the way for breaking even and haven't even had alcohol yet), a glass or two of wine with dinner, a couple cocktails or beers throughout the day, and we ahead of the game (still not tanked).

I have not seen a change in behavior comparing before and after drink packages. I think the majority of people, that get the drink package, do it for the same reason we do; convenience and cost saving when considering everything you can drink; not just alcohol.

Look at the dates of our next sailings in my signature. Avoid these.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone who writes about drinks packages on these boards intends to drink to excess. I realize the majority are probably light drinkers who wonder whether they will ever drink enough to make it worth their while and trying to decide between a package and a la carte drinks.

However, when people pay a fixed amount and can drink all the alcohol they want, that CAN (does not mean "will") encourage that activity.

If folks who've cruised recently haven't seen that -- if it is more as the above poster suggested in a combo of juice, coffees, and drinks -- then I'm feeling much better.

You have to also remind yourself that to "break even" you have to factor in RCCL prices. Depending on your drink package, it is about 5 alcoholic drinks or less per day to break even (that is Beer and Wine drinks for the Select Package or liquor drinks for the Premium...) due to the price that RCCL sets on their beverages, and this includes anything you would drink at dinner.

And when I went on the Oasis last year, I didn't find it to be a party ship. You have to realize that, for the most part, the community on here represents only a small, tiny fraction of the people who actually go on these ships.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone who writes about drinks packages on these boards intends to drink to excess. I realize the majority are probably light drinkers who wonder whether they will ever drink enough to make it worth their while and trying to decide between a package and a la carte drinks.

However, when people pay a fixed amount and can drink all the alcohol they want, that CAN (does not mean "will") encourage that activity.

If folks who've cruised recently haven't seen that -- if it is more as the above poster suggested in a combo of juice, coffees, and drinks -- then I'm feeling much better.

I dunno, I actually pre paid our drink package just for the sake of not having to deal with it after the trip. I knew we were already going to owe a bit after the trip anyway, so I figured I would get that expense out of the way early. Plus, I knew there was a decent chance my wife and I, between afternoon drinks, a wine or 2 at dinner, and whatever we had to drink at the bars after, there was a very good chance we were at the very least going to be around the break even point without ever really getting drunk on the trip. The amount we would pay up front would be a small difference between what we would actually have spent without the plan, so that premium price was worth the piece of mind in not having to worry about making good on the bill at the end. And I can say we never saw any degradation in service over the course of the trip by being a Drink Plan member. The servers were great across the board.

From most who I speak with, this is the case as well. They do it because they know they'll be close to breaking even, and they don't want to worry about the bill at the end. Those who prepay just to get loaded are the minority, and unfortunately, you'll find people like that on every single ship of nearly every single line you'll travel upon.

You do realize every cruise line the major ones anyhow have a drink package? We live in a world of constant change. People are on vacation and do not want to look up there bill all the time to see if they broke some limit they set on daily spending they want the majority of there cruise paid up front. Sounds more relaxing to me. there are all kinds of packages now even dining. You big worry of a ship of crazies seems a little narrow. Not everyone buys these packages. And the people on cruises have money to spend. For the most part someone who wants 10 drinks a day will do it no matter what should it affect or worry you? I bet there is a lot less smuggling.

I saw one person "smashed" on last 2 cruises . last year in was a woman this year a young guy, we also do AI with all you can drink and rarely see someone drunk. Also now you can bring on board 2 bottles of wine and drink them in your cabin or in a restaurant with no corkage fee. I did not think bar was that crowded even with drink package,

The two bottles on board has been in effect for a while, but the no corkage is relatively new - past year maybe??

I think it also depends on the time of year you travel, and your itinerary. I would guess March/April in the Caribbean you may get lots of college students drinking up a storm. And the shorter weekend cruises as well.

I'm guessing you probably don't see the same thing on the longer cruises, non-Caribbean sailings. I expect that the bar tenders are also still watching out for individuals who have been over served, and are required to cut them off.

If you find this happening, let us know. I suspect during Spring Break maybe, but as of yet, I have not witnessed this.

Most of the evening entertainment revolves around bars on "all" cruise lines, but the only real party ship is Carnival. You will be fine on RCCL.

Break even is not that many drinks. Yes people want to know because it seems like alot of money, until you do the math, and discover you save money and break even with very little drinks.

Only got the drink packages so there were no worries about budgeting (my DH is a serious statistician type)! I can't speak for those who stay up past midnight -- I barely can do that without alcohol in my system! :-)

Break even is not that many drinks. Yes people want to know because it seems like alot of money, until you do the math, and discover you save money and break even with very little drinks.

Break even point isn't that many drinks because the prices of the individual drinks are so high. It's a good deal if you would normally spend that kind of money anyway. If you are adding drinks to make it a good deal, I'd rethink the reasoning.

Don't know why you are so worried about something you cant control.Go on your cruise enjoy yourself dont and worry about anyone else drinking to much and if they do security will handle it.

The biggest impact for the occasional drinker is taking longer to get served and less variety from the menus and a higher price on mixed drink. More drink packages have caused them to cut back on servers. Before the drink package rccl increased profits by selling ore drinks. Now the focus seems to be on selling packages. After packages sold, best way for them to increase profits is to decrease costs. No incentive to offer those in the package easy way to get drinks , fewer roaming bartenders at pool, fewer shooters coming by tables at dinner, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on a cruise in Sept and April and can't say I really saw a difference! ( This coming from a family of non-drinkers who would notice if someone was really drunk!) In the past (pre-package days) I've seen people sit by the pool from early in the morning till late at night drinking buckets of beer. We did talk to one couple that said they were getting their moneys worth , but they were heavy drinkers at home and we never saw them obnoxious! One spring break cruise we saw several people getting back on the ship from Cozumel completely smashed.

I don't feel like it has turned RC into a party boat!

Just off 14-day Back2Back on Oasis and saw only one person who appeared (from speech) to have had right much to drink…she walked fine. We never encountered a line at a bar.

We were on the Allure in March for a B2B…also saw only one tipsy person and didn't encounter lines for drinks.

Edited by beachnative

I buy the package so I will not have a large bill at the end of the cruise, I usually break even or come close. I will have oj at breakfast and at least four specialty coffees during the day. One or two drinks at dinner; the white sangria at Vintages is a favorite, and maybe one or so frozen drinks at a show. I am well beyond the partying stage of my life, I celebrate a major accomplishment if I can make it past 11pm.

Edited by dacsmom