Watching TV on the Ship

bshow

My husband, born in Boston and who grew up in Maine, lived in Worcester for years and says Wooster. He says he's never heard Whist-ah. But now that I think about it, I have heard folks say it that way. (We do have discussions at our house about pronunciation...I grew up in N.J.

Worcestershire sauce - which began this inane conversation - originated in the UK. Just been assured from Worcester that it is pronounced with a Wuss as in Puss:D:D Interesting that according to Barrheadlass, it is pronounced the same way in the US town of Worcester. But doubtless those who live in the city with the same name on both side of the world must be wrong.

I pronounce it the same way you both do as my Dear Aunt, an English Teacher taught me how to pronounce it, when she served it on a steak, when I was a teen..LOL:)

In two on'line English dictionaries Worcestershire is pronounced: (woos′tər-shîr, -shər) & [woo s-ter-sheer, -sher]

Bostonians actually have a dialect & pronounce many things completely different than people do in the other parts of the U.S.A. or the U.K.

Wikipedia describes the New England AKA Boston Dialect/Accent here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_accent

I pronounce it the same way you both do as my Dear Aunt, an English Teacher taught me how to pronounce it, when she served it on a steak, when I was a teen..LOL:)

In two on'line English dictionaries Worcestershire is pronounced: (woos′tər-shîr, -shər) & [woo s-ter-sheer, -sher]

Bostonians actually have a dialect & pronounce many things completely different than people do in the other parts of the U.S.A. or the U.K.

<snip>

Indeed. :) Makes us even more special.

The Revolutionary War did begin in Boston, didn't it? :D

You know, Paul Revere and all that. Guess we didn't like the King's English even then. ;)

If you dear aunt taught English in Texas do you think her pronunciation would be the same as if she taught in South Carolina or Detroit or another region. Bostonians are not the only people with dialect and accents.

We are actually rather proud of our distinct manner of speaking. I'm a most proud Bostonian. :) We think we have a pretty wonderful city that provides great benefit to the region/country. We 'hold our own'.

Edited by sail7seas

The recent thread about headphone jacks on the TV got me thinking. I have been on a number of cruises, and I know for a fact that I have never watched TV on the ship.

There is usually some welcome aboard stuff playing when you enter your stateroom. I switch it off and it never comes on again. I would be fine if there was no TV.

I cruised on a large ship on another line a few years ago. In the morning, they would play the insufferable Today Show and the nearly-as-insufferable cruise director program on a giant screen over the lido deck. I resolved to avoid that type of ship in the future, because I enjoy the lido area.

So I'm curious: do you all watch TV on the ship? I suppose I'm the oddball, but there may be one or two who do the same...

Yep watch it a lot.

In answering the OP, I have the TV on (listening more than watching) when I am getting ready for dinner and when I am working on my blog before bed. I actually like the morning show that the cruise line puts on and I do watch it every morning. I would like to see a news show every day but most cruise lines have a very generic news that spends hours on the same topic (last cruise it was the basketball player that had been married to a Kardashian - shows how much I paid attention, I don't even remember his name:D).

aw shucks :o thx.

And it's not all in my mouth!!

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

Though I must admit I've had some real belly laughs on this thread. You just never know where a drift may lead.:D:D Quite an eye opener into human psyche at times.:)

Back to the original topic. We have only watched TV once while on a cruise. But we do enjoy the web cams & navigation stations. Being new to HAL, I'm curious about this program streaming & interactive TV. We may just have to check it out in April. I have liked being able to view my onboard account on the TV. I'm hoping the upgraded TV system allows us to order room service, view our onboard spending account, make reservations & hear/see major news. Other cruise lines have had this type of system for awhile.

DH and I always note how coincidental it seems that we're on a cruise when there is a breaking news story. There are times we've been glued to the news in our stateroom. We were sailing during Columbine, the OKC bombing, Saddam Hussein's capture and execution, and many other things. I appreciate having the TV available to keep up to date.

Other times we'll catch a movie in our stateroom during downtime, but we're not regular watchers.

We like watching the news when we are getting ready in the morning especially when we have room service for breakfast. We also watched a few football games in our room. We don't go on a cruise to watch tv but we do watch tv on a cruise.

Nope, Sorry but Wooster does not cut it.

It is Whist-ah or for some Whist-ore. :D :D (accent on first syllable.)

There is never a 'woo' sound in Worcester when properly pronounced by a born and bred Bostonian.

Sorry to disappoint but it is most definitely "Woos ter" or "Wuss ter" (rhymes with puss).

How do I know that, you ask? Because I was born at Worcester Memorial Hospital, lived in Worcester until I was 8, then moved to the 'burbs of "Wuss ter".

Moving to Boston to live and work after I graduated college where I lived for 6 years and have remained in the area.

Only 47 miles between the two cities but worlds apart with pronunciation. There is nothing more distinct than a Boston accent. I'm afraid that after 50 years in the Boston area, I now have the dreaded Boston accent.

Generally, If we're in the cabin, the TV is on. (unless we are sleeping) We'll have on the news, the shopping channels, bow cam, movies, or just the music. We usually get a DVD or two from guest services and we sometimes bring our own. I'm excited about the screen upgrades with the new suite make-overs. P.S. I LOVE the navigation channel also!

Ditto. We especially enjoy the DVD movies when we are winding down in the evening. :)

Lorie

• 4 weeks later...

On our recent cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we noticed the new flat-screen tvs in the cabin and all the on-demand movies and shows. I guess we're the odd ones since we enjoy seeing a few movies during our vacation since we're so busy working during the rest of the year.

Finally got to see 'The Martian' and 'The Intern' and I noticed that 5 seasons of Downton Abbey was available to watch (hadn't seen it yet) on the tv. So I warned my DH not to start watching it yet cause "it will suck you in and trap you into binge-watching the entire series." The next day I came in from the balcony to find him watching Season 1, Episode 1 and you can guess the rest...we spent the last night of the cruise watching the Season 1, Episode 9 packing our suitcases and ordering late-night room service!!! BTW, the turkey club sandwich IS fabulous (as I have read here many times on CC).

Now home and starting to watch season 3 on dvd....

Some of the worst news for the U.S. we have learned of on a CNBC or some other world news reporter on a cruise ship.

The San Bernardino mass shootings.....Crystal.

The movie theater mass shootings.....Viking.

Would like to go on Hal w/o any tragedies this year.

TV is on a few times a day for us:

AM

Typically while we wash up to start the day..

Early PM

While we wash up to wash off the day and get read for the night's activities.

Late PM

prior to turning in for the day, something to get the Zs started.

We're not glued to it.

We only do it to check our shipboard account balance, read the day's menus, once in a while order room service, and check the news. In just about that order and degree of frequency.

Dependent on the cruise line of course.

Edited by iancal

• 7 months later...
We generally don't turn on the TV unless to watch the bow camera or weather/position while getting ready. Don't know why but I like the graphic of seeing where we are.

The one time I watched a movie was my first cruise, a New England cruise, and I was seasick. A combo of high seas and the patch behind my ear not working. Dh went to have fun with the group we were with and I stayed back while my wonderful steward kept checking in on me. The movie I found to watch...Titanic. :eek:

I've heard people with interior cabins leave it on, sound muted so they have a

'window' sounds like a smart idea!;);)