Nieuw Amsterdam Review 1/24/16, First Time On HAL

js10

Just back from a seven day Western Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam. I have wanted to try HAL for a long time and booked this cruise about two months out primarily because the price was far better than other comparable cruises. We originally booked an inside cabin but one month out we started getting upsale offers every few days. HAL started with an offer to move up to a balcony for $400 which I did not respond to. Next week it was $300 dollars and again I did not respond. About one week prior to sailing the offer was $199 more for a balcony and I jumped on it. I was fearful that it would be a poor location but they actually had multiple cabins available and I took a VB category on deck five near the forward elevators.

Flying in from Baltimore it was almost a moot point as the massive snowstorm would almost certainly cancel our Saturday flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Southwest was great and I was able to rebook to a early Friday morning flight for $20 more per ticket. We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at 9:00am and found ourselves at the front desk of Embassy Suites at 9:30. They had two smoking rooms clean and available but we declined and said we would wait for a non smoking room. Incredibly, they called my cell in 20 minutes and we were able to check in immediately. This Embassy Suites hotel is not a value when it comes to price but it is extremely convenient. Rate was $270 before taxes but a decent hot breakfast is included and the manager's cocktail party can almost serve as dinner if you eat a heavy, late lunch. The Sun Trolley is right outside the hotel and we traveled to the beach and Las Olas for a few dollars. Directly behind the hotel is a large shopping area with a Publix and Total Wine and a wonderful restaurant called Gilberts on 17th. Gilberts is a hamburger joint but it was rated as the 4th best restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale on Trip Advisor and it is very, very good. Embassy Suites really pushes the paid shuttle service to the port but a taxi is cheaper for two people and takes you directly to your ship. Price was $12 plus a $3 tip.

We arrived at the port on Sunday at around 11:10, were processed in about 15minutes and then waited about 30 minutes to board. Our cabin was ready when we boarded and was in great shape. Clean and efficient and featured a bathtub which was a first for me.

Our ports included Half Moon Cay which is my favorite of the private islands I have visited. We were the only ship to visit that day which was nice. We made an effort to get off the ship as early as possible and then walked as far down the beach as we could. We found chairs near the very end of the beach and for and hour or two felt like we were almost alone! Arriving early also lets you eat lunch early when it is not too crowded. Back on the ship by 3:00.

Second port was Grand Cayman which we were not able to visit. I am still not exactly sure what happened. We were the 4th ship of six to anchor. Two more ships arrived after us. We watched the other ships utilize the larger Grand Cayman tenders while we lowered our smaller tenders into the water. Cruise director shortly came on the PA and said the engineers were dealing with a "small power outage issue" and we would be kept informed. Maybe thirty minutes later the Captain came on the PA and said that due to the power issue (now resolved?), unfavorable sea conditions, and an unfavorable anchor assignment we would have to miss the port and would sail asap for Cozumel. As we left we could see all five ships utilizing the Grand Cayman tenders including a ship that arrived after us and anchored in our exact position. That night we had a letter on our bed from the Captain apologizing and explaining that the other ships had contractual agreements with the GC tenders and that is why they were able to make their way into Grand Cayman. Left unsaid was why HAL or Nieuw Amsterdam did not have a similar agreement. Random? A money issue? Who knows. To HAL's credit they gave each passenger $50 obc and returned $11 per person in port fees.

Third port was Cozumel where I returned to Chankanaab Park for the first time since visiting more than 30 years ago. Much had changed as the park was severely damaged by an earlier hurricane but the day was nostalgic and fun. $21 to get in (used to be free!) and $7 to rent snorkeling gear. Snorkeling was great but somewhat difficult due to choppy/rough water. Cold Mexican beer only $3!

Final port was Key West. We walked the 1 1/2 miles to the southernmost point marker and did an informal, funky bar hop along the way--Sloppy Joe's, Green Parrot and Capt. Tony's. Great fun.

Positives:

* the ship itself is beautiful with tasteful public areas and the size is not overwhelming.

* there is a very relaxed atmosphere on the ship. Very few PA announcements, music around the pools, etc.

*BB King Blues band was as good as any I have heard on a cruise ship. These bands apparently cycle on and off the ships so a different band might not be as good.

*really appreciated the complimentary room service and the full breakfast option.

*the price of drinks, and happy hour at three bars, were reasonable. After reading the nightmare stories of price increases on other lines this was a pleasant surprise.

Negatives:

*I found the food to be very uneven. We had five dinners in the main dining room, one in a specialty restaurant, and one at the Lido. We had a number of excellent meals but too many ordinary meals that were bland and unexciting.

As You Wish Dining was all that was available when I booked and the experience reinforced why I like fixed dining. There is simply too much going on at different stages for the wait staff to do their best. It was not for lack of effort, it is just obviously an organizational nightmare for all concerned.

Breakfast and lunch in the Lido was also uneven as was service there.

*The relaxed atmosphere that I referenced as a positive could be a negative for some. I would have enjoyed some music on the sun decks and more opportunities for late night dancing.

*Steel drum lessons near to the Sea View Pool. (that is an inside joke that only people on this sailing will appreciate!)

I would not hesitate to cruise with Holland America again if the price was right and if I liked the itinerary but I really did not see any difference from the other mainstream cruise lines that I have sailed with before.

Nice ship, nice crew, nice people, ok food. Reinforced my belief that there is no such thing as a bad cruise!

Thanks for your report. Did you book originally directly with HAL or did you use a travel agent? We have always used a TA, and never had an upset offer (and just one "surprise" upgrade). We have changed to a PCC, and just wonder what she will do for us.

Thank you for your review.

HAL has always used their own tenders for Grand Cayman. When we used to sail on Princess, they also used to use their own tenders -- not sure if they still do. If you look at the various ships, you will see some have only lifeboats while others, like HAL, have tenders and lifeboats -- they are different sizes.

Sorry to read that you didn't try the Tamarind restaurant.

Thanks for your report. Did you book originally directly with HAL or did you use a travel agent? We have always used a TA, and never had an upset offer (and just one "surprise" upgrade). We have changed to a PCC, and just wonder what she will do for us.

You will get the upsell offers emailed straight to YOU.

No one in between you and the offer, not even the PCC.

I should have mentioned the name of the specialty restaurant--it was indeed Tamarind and the meal was wonderful.

Concerning the upsell offers, I booked directly with HAL via the Internet.

I should have mentioned the name of the specialty restaurant--it was indeed Tamarind and the meal was wonderful.

Concerning the upsell offers, I booked directly with HAL via the Internet.

"Cruise director shortly came on the PA and said the engineers were dealing with a "small power outage issue" and we would be kept informed. Maybe thirty minutes later the Captain came on the PA and said that due to the power issue (now resolved?), unfavorable sea conditions, and an unfavorable anchor assignment we would have to miss the port"

So all those reasons they told you were lies?

I hate when they just can't be honest about things.

I ended up missing a port call in Belize because of arguments over tenders between Belize and the cruise line.

Thanks for your report, and also for including info on your flight -so glad you made it to FLL in spite of the weather - and the hotel. I agree about Embassy Suites - yes expensive unless you get a deal (I have been lucky!) but their service and flexibility is worth it. And a great location. Too bad about Grand Cayman, though.

We too thought the situation in Grand Cayman was strange. The " power issue " was never clarified and it seemed the captain over compensated in his explanation and then sent an apology letter and the $50 credit (we did not receive the additional $11). Water seemed VERY calm and some other ships were using their lifeboats as tenders. We have tendered with HAL in much rougher seas!! It was the first time on HAL that I ever felt deceived in that manner by the captain....when we discussed this with our bartender that evening he insinuated that we were correct that this was not an issue with power or weather but something to do with Noro on one of the other ships in port. We'll never know for sure:rolleyes:

Agree with your review. Love NA, beautiful ship still in great condition. After four years away from HAL thought the entertainment was worse than ever and aside from breakfast thought the food had declined drastically!! We ate all dinners in Pinnacle Tamarind and Canaletto except one and thought the specialty restaurants were excellent and well worth the up charge.

Edited by cruisun
Added an additional thought

We were also on the NA last week. Compared to what we received from a cancelled overnight port on the Oceania Riviera ($0) the $50 each and refunded port charges and a glass of champagne meant a lot to us. There were definitely electrical issues as we approached Grand Cayman, so whether this weighed in with the Captain's decision or not we may never know. We have missed Grand Cayman one other time - on a RCI ship - and yes others were tendering when we did not. I totally agree with what the OP wrote about the food and service in the MDR. Our breakfasts in the Pinnacle were the best ever - service was superior and our dinner in the Tamarind likewise. I loved the new way they are serving the salads in the Lido - no messy dishes, counters or serving utensils. Quick service! They do have a list of salads they can make for you (Caesar, Cobb etc) or you can have them add whatever you want. New salad bowls too!

DH and I were on the NA Jan 10-17 and we too loved the food in the Tamarind and the extensive salad bar on the Lido deck. I think I ate more salads than on any other cruise due to the lovely selection and dressings they had. And I liked the new bowls too!

Our only complaint was that the Pinnacle Grill was completely booked up from the day we got on board. Supposedly with all the free dinner perks given out as part of booking a cabin with HAL, they filled the restaurant all week and we never had a chance to have a meal in there. Even tried several times to see if there was a cancellation. No luck there.

We were also on the NA last week. Compared to what we received from a cancelled overnight port on the Oceania Riviera ($0) the $50 each and refunded port charges and a glass of champagne meant a lot to us. There were definitely electrical issues as we approached Grand Cayman, so whether this weighed in with the Captain's decision or not we may never know. We have missed Grand Cayman one other time - on a RCI ship - and yes others were tendering when we did not. I totally agree with what the OP wrote about the food and service in the MDR. Our breakfasts in the Pinnacle were the best ever - service was superior and our dinner in the Tamarind likewise. I loved the new way they are serving the salads in the Lido - no messy dishes, counters or serving utensils. Quick service! They do have a list of salads they can make for you (Caesar, Cobb etc) or you can have them add whatever you want. New salad bowls too!

I was on this cruise also and had a wonderful time. Met all my expectations. Only disappointment I had was when the captain issued the 50 credit for each paying customer I only got the $50 even though I was traveling solo and as you know when traveling solo you still pay for 2 people. I questioned it multiple times but the same answer only actual passengers. Wish they would say that for the fare.