Cabin Upgrade Offer

BosoxI

I have just received an offer to upgrade my DB cabin on the Royal to a mini suite for $220 each. It's a 10 day Carib sailing.

We've never been on the Royal before and the DB cabin is in a very good position. But I confess the thought of an upgrade for $22 a day each is a bit tempting, if the new cabin warrants it.

The available cabins at this moment are: MB A325/326/327 and M6 L105/106 and M105/106/ These last are at the prow, apparently and I am not at all sure they are desireable, especially when the ship is underway. Can someone with experience give me a quick review and suggestion? As I said, we are completely happy with our current cabin. Thanks a million.

We are very interested in the answers given to you.

May I ask the Date of your Royal 10 day cruise?

We are on the Royal 20 day leaving Oct 11.

9/21 and there are many more cabins available but my concern mainly centers on the four forward cabins. It can get mighty windy forward and there can be problems with lighting at night. It would be just my luck to get on of the four assigned to me. I don't mind spending the extra money but not without good benefit.

After 25 Princess cruises, I well remember the days of free upgrades. Sigh.

If you could be assured of getting A325, A326, or A327 I would consider upgrading; but not if there's a chance of being up front. It can be very windy and up on Lido deck you would certainly feel more motion.

And to be perfectly honest with you, the minis on Royal Princess are not that much bigger than the Deluxe Balconies; and the balconies are the same size--small. So all you are really getting would be a bathtub and slightly more room.

I agree with Thrak--that $440 could be better spent.

If you could be assured of getting A325, A326, or A327 I would consider upgrading; but not if there's a chance of being up front.

The last offer we had was $99 pp to go from Obstructed Ocean view to Balcony on the Star 10 day to AK from SF. I was able to choose the cabin from those available (I had a deck plan open) while on the phone with the Princess Rep.

I kept it a secret from my wife and the $198 extra was worth it when my wife realized we had a balcony. She started getting suspicious when she saw Aloha deck on her card instead of Emerald.

dz

9/21 and there are many more cabins available but my concern mainly centers on the four forward cabins. It can get mighty windy forward and there can be problems with lighting at night. It would be just my luck to get on of the four assigned to me. I don't mind spending the extra money but not without good benefit.

If you accept the offer, you can pick which of the available cabins you want.

Of course they are not waiting for you to say "yes" or "no" and are making the same offer to others. If you want it, respond quickly.

If you accept the offer, you can pick which of the available cabins you want.

Of course they are not waiting for you to say "yes" or "no" and are making the same offer to others. If you want it, respond quickly.

That is true, I wouldn't be rushing for it though unless they can lower that price by a few hundred.:D

I know nothing about the cabins in question but... If you are quite happy with the cabin you have I would think I could find other uses for the $440.

If you like the cabin you have, you can use the $440 for other things. Like gratuities, drinks excursions. it's up to you.

Edited by dorisis

When I accepted an upsell, the Princess rep told me exactly which room I was getting and I had the chance to request what I wanted. I went with her initial assignment because I trusted her judgment. And boy, was I right in doing so! That was a great location.

If you have any doubts, you can always just call and ask for what you want. No need to decline it because you're afraid you "might" get something bad.

This begs the question: What would you have had to pay initially to upgrade to a mini? Some of these upsells aren't good deals. We were recently on the Regal for 11 days. Several days prior to the cruise we were offered an upgrade to a mini for $199 pp. However, when we originally booked the cruise we could have selected the mini for only $200 more than the deluxe balcony. Princess started raising the price of the minis about a month out, then tried to make it seem that the upsell was a great deal.

I realize you've already decided against the upgrade but I want to get this information out as one cabin offered was a mini on Marina deck.

We had a mid-ship Marina deck mini earlier this year on the Royal. While the cabin is great, the tiny balcony is right up against the overhang of the Lido deck. It was almost claustrophobic!

This begs the question: What would you have had to pay initially to upgrade to a mini? Some of these upsells aren't good deals. We were recently on the Regal for 11 days. Several days prior to the cruise we were offered an upgrade to a mini for $199 pp. However, when we originally booked the cruise we could have selected the mini for only $200 more than the deluxe balcony. Princess started raising the price of the minis about a month out, then tried to make it seem that the upsell was a great deal.

That is what my thoughts were on this deal, I don't see it as a great deal at all.

After 25 Princess cruises, I well remember the days of free upgrades. Sigh.

that is why I'd never take an up sell upgrade. Why would they give free upgrades if they can find people who first decided NOT to spend the extra money on a higher level cabin and then, when it's marketed like it's some sort great deal, spend the extra money to move up?

For my recent cruise, I received one of those up sell emails. I looked at the price being offered and looked at the original quote from my ta (I had asked for both a balcony and an interior) and the marketed price was very close to my original quote. So I didn't take it.

It's like the airlines now - I remember when if you checked in early for your flight, they would occasionally ask you at the counter, would you like to switch to this seat or that - it's available. Now, when you book you have to pay extra for certain seats and if you want to switch on the plane, you have to pay, too.