Mini suite to Vista Suite for small price increase....good deal?

janetcbl

We were recently able to change from a mini suite to a vista suite on the same deck of the Ruby for a very small price increase. We "lost" the AIBP but gained $300 in OBC. Seems like a great deal to me, since we aren't big drinkers, except coffee and an occasional glass of wine, and the view of Alaska from the stern of the ship should be awesome. Comments, please....we have never sailed with Princess, but have traveled with other lines. Thanks!

Edited by janetcbl

We were recently able to change from a mini suite to a vista suite on the same deck of the Ruby for a very small price increase. We "lost" the AIBP but gained $300 in OBC. Seems like a great deal to me, since we aren't big drinkers, except coffee and an occasional glass of wine, and the view of Alaska from the stern of the ship should be awesome. Comments, please....we have never sailed with Princess, but have traveled with other lines. Thanks!

Yes, you will love the Vista suite!

I think it was a good idea! Can't compare sailing in a mini vs a full suite! Be sure to get Priority boarding with the suite! We are Platinum but had to point out we were in a suite to wait in the Suite/Elite lounge.

Enjoy Princess in Alaska with your suite!

Good for You. Your new suite should have a larger balcony, which will be nice to sit on and look at the sights. The room itself will be larger; so moving around will be a little easier. plus you qualify for suite perks

Yes, the view from the aft suite will be fantastic.

Also, room service is wonderful in the suite. You can order from the dining room menu, in the suite. This is wonderful in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm, wherever your ship goes. Don't be stuck in the dining room during scenic cruising. Cruising in and out of Juneau, and out of Skagway (if it is daylight), is also breathtakingly beautiful.

Enjoy!

I think it's a great deal -- we took a similar offer for our upcoming CB cruise that leaves next week. The amount of perks far offset the amount of upsell we paid, in my opinion, so I am totally looking forward to it. I am sure you will love it too! Can't wait to order room service from the dining room:)

Here is a thread that helped me a lot when I booked my first suite:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1985117

Ummm, no brainer - do it, BUT be warned, you will never want to go back to anything but a suite.

We received a upsell from a mini to a Penthouse Suite on a recent cruise and took it. It was very nice. The additional space was great and the bathroom was gorgeous. It did not have the aft view you are getting, which would be wonderful I'm sure.

But, we both agreed that while it was nice for the little extra we paid we wouldn't feel like we needed to pay the normal difference between a mini and a full suite. We compared it to getting bumped up to first class on a plane --great, lovely, thrilled but not willing to pay full price for it.

Not trying to sound negative but just posting an alternative view to the common theme "you'll never go back".

I feel a bit crazy typing this, but the Sabatini's private breakfast alone was almost worth the entire cost we paid for an upsell on Ruby.

Also, I highly encourage you to try the Ultimate Balcony Dining if you have a suite. We had a suite on the Ruby in April/May 2015 but didn't try UBD until we returned to the Ruby in August 2015 in a mini-suite. Gosh that suite balcony would have been neat to enjoy UBD...sniff sniff now I want to cruise RIGHT NOW! :D

How wonderful for you. We love the aft suites on Princess. The first time we booked an Aft PH, but found that we did not need a balcony that big and would have preferred more room inside the cabin since the weather was not great.

The next 2 cruises we specifically booked Vista Suites. C 751 was great and had a larger interior than the PH on Aloha deck, but had 2 obstructions on the balcony. Our absolute favorite Vista Suite is E 733 with just one pole and neighbors on only one side. And there was absolutely no noise from the nightclub below. It was so convenient to our dining room and to promenade deck that we rarely had to take an elevator the entire cruise.

We go on cruises to relax and spend lots of time on our balcony and in the cabin. After 56 cruises we are not into the activities. For us a suite is a must. But, I warn you, once you go suite it is very hard to go back.