Minor without passport

CTnTN

I will be traveling with my granddaughter (8) to Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk in March. I understand she can travel on a birth certificate and signed and notirized consent to travel from her parents. After many attempts to get a passport, we have been unsuccessful. ( Father incarcerated) My question is when we get into port at these countries, can she disembark the ship?

Thanks. I have spoken with Carnival and they have assured me she can go on the birth certificate alone. I know this is risky and I am still undecided if I am going to take her at all.

As long as she has an official/certified birth certificate and written parental permission, you're not risking anything.

Thanks. I have spoken with Carnival and they have assured me she can go on the birth certificate alone. I know this is risky and I am still undecided if I am going to take her at all.

You'll have what you need as posted above....this isn't a "risk" if you do...take her...or you'll be so sorry you didn't !!!!!

The PP was responding to the highlighted part of my post where I said "If any of those ports required her to have a passport" and since none of them do you'll be good to go.

Correct and thank you for clarifying. The "bold" feature - combined with the smaller font on quoted posts - with the new format is not as clear as it used to be.

Some cruise lines require you to have a passport if the minors are not your legal wards. Princess does. Some require everyone to have a passport. If the father won't sign for the passport you can always contact the courts to make it possible to not only get the passport but to allow for international travel. They are two distinct issues. Even if dad signed for the passport doesn't mean he is giving permission for the child to travel out of the country. You need a notarized letter for that. The same letter you will need to take your granddaughter with you on the cruise. Again, petition the court. This is the route I would go. Not sure how long dad is going to be in prison but it doesn't sound like even when he is out he is going to allow her to travel so why not just ask the courts to grant permission to mom now.

I will be traveling with my granddaughter (8) to Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk in March. I understand she can travel on a birth certificate and signed and notirized consent to travel from her parents. After many attempts to get a passport, we have been unsuccessful. ( Father incarcerated) My question is when we get into port at these countries, can she disembark the ship?

While it is possible to cruise without a passport in the current political climate I would not advise leaving the country without one.

Her father did sign the form for the passport the consent to travel, had both notarized. I sent everything in and he had left out one letter in her middle name by mistake. They sent the form back and said to redo it again. He had been moved to another facility, took two months to track him down again. Sent him another form, haven't received it back. We sail March 25,2017. The passport office still has her certified birth certificate too. If I can get the form from him soon, I will try to expedite the passport. Thanks for everyone's help!

Some cruise lines require you to have a passport if the minors are not your legal wards. Princess does. Some require everyone to have a passport...

Princess requires a passport for minors when traveling with only one adult, regardless of whether they are legal wards or not. The 'permission to travel' letter varies from country to country, but it sounds as if both parents have written such a letter for this trip.

Her father did sign the form for the passport the consent to travel, had both notarized. I sent everything in and he had left out one letter in her middle name by mistake. They sent the form back and said to redo it again. He had been moved to another facility, took two months to track him down again. Sent him another form, haven't received it back. We sail March 25,2017. The passport office still has her certified birth certificate too. If I can get the form from him soon, I will try to expedite the passport. Thanks for everyone's help!

You are getting way too close to comfort in sending her birth certificate in since she can't sail if it doesn't come back in time. She *should* be fine unless the cruise line you are on imposes their own restrictions. Your best route is to double check with them that she doesn't need a passport to board. As long as she is able to board she'll be fine at ports and to re-enter US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are getting way too close to comfort in sending her birth certificate in since she can't sail if it doesn't come back in time. She *should* be fine unless the cruise line you are on imposes their own restrictions. Your best route is to double check with them that she doesn't need a passport to board. As long as she is able to board she'll be fine at ports and to re-enter US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP is cruising on Carnival, which doesn't impose any rules beyond what is required by law and regulation.