Gay friendly?

Thinking of doing a Panama Canal with Regent. We've never sailed Regent...mostly all bigger, mainstream ships. My question is, because the Regent ships are so much smaller, what is the demographics? Specifically are they gay friendly? We are looking forward to planning a cruise on a ship without the masses of people!

Not quite sure how you define 'gay-friendly', but I have seen several gay couples on board and they all seemed to be having as much of a good time as the straight couples. I don't believe that Regent sponsors any LGBT events on board, but if you're worried about feeling conspicuous, I don't think that's a worry.

My advice? Book a Regent cruise. The small, intimate atmosphere is leaps and bounds better than the mega-ships, IMO.

Fred and I have 160 days on Regent with 35 more booked. We feel right at home as a gay couple. It just isn't an issue. We now have dozens of friends who we've met on Regent cruises (as well as Silversea and Crystal). Some are gay. Most are not. We are quite social. We rarely, by choice, dine alone. We become friends with people we like. Sexual orientation is simply not an issue. You'll have a grand time cruising baker. Why don't you join us this December on Voyager Dubai to Singapore? Or in March, 2018 Bali to Hong Kong.

Greetings from South Beach, Cruisin Baker. Go ahead and book a cruise on Regent. You will have a fine time. We have sailed on Regent and are booked on Explorer's TA in March of 2017. We have never met anyone who was not having a good time.

Mary

I wouldn't worry at all. We've never had a problem on "O" cruises (we've been on 8 of those) and this is a sister company of "O". We've booked are first cruise on Regent next year and another 2 later. We've always met a few more gay couples on every trip - not a lot but a few. We enjoy the company of all people so it's not a big deal to us who's gay or who's not. We did just booked a Panama Canal cruise (Miami to San Francisco) but it's not until April 2018 (that will be are 3rd cruise on Regent if all goes well).

We're looking forward to Regent and I think you'll enjoy the cruise you pick.

Rick & Ron

Regent passengers generally tend to be well traveled, intelligent and worldly. As a result, most are very open to conversation, drinks, dinner or other activities with LGBT guests. Regent management and staff are LGBT friendly and the company has gay men in several key senior executive positions. You'll find the line very welcoming.

Years back the ship's daily newsletter would occasionally list an LGBT "Friends of Dorothy" gathering. While they no longer do this, the relatively small number of guests compared to mass market ships makes it easy to identify who is who. We have a number of LGBT couples that we have cruised with on multiple occasions that we have become friends off the ship, visiting each other's homes, etc.

You'll have a great time... welcome to the club!

I wouldn't worry at all. We've never had a problem on "O" cruises (we've been on 8 of those) and this is a sister company of "O". We've booked are first cruise on Regent next year and another 2 later. We've always met a few more gay couples on every trip - not a lot but a few. We enjoy the company of all people so it's not a big deal to us who's gay or who's not. We did just booked a Panama Canal cruise (Miami to San Francisco) but it's not until April 2018 (that will be are 3rd cruise on Regent if all goes well).

We're looking forward to Regent and I think you'll enjoy the cruise you pick.

Rick & Ron

Ohhhh! Panama Canal in 2018 is what we're looking at. How many days? We are doing land based vacation in 2017.

I am doing my second regent cruise in 2018. But i will say I never ever seen people not accepting on any line I am on. In this day people who are not cool I do not want to know. the cruiseline i have been using also has Gay officers and i am like who cares.everyone the same-you like people because you do not because they are gay or straight.

Agree with above posts. Regent, IMO, is "everyone friendly" - we have not seem prejudice of any kind on Regent.

Enjoy your cruise!

Totally agree. Nobody really cares one way or the other. We are people friendly.

... we have not seem prejudice of any kind on Regent.

... at least not any prejudice based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, national origin, or the other usual reasons. There are, however, occasionally one or two who merit prejudice in their own right due to arrogance, bad behavior and the like. Luckily there are far fewer than in most other public venues so you can usually either avoid them or embarrass them out of the common areas.

Edited by Ka Honu

... at least not any prejudice based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, national origin, or the other usual reasons. There are, however, occasionally one or two who merit prejudice in their own right due to arrogance, bad behavior and the like. Luckily there are far fewer than in most other public venues so you can usually either avoid them or embarrass them out of the common areas.

Have not witnessed this in our 25+ cruises but assume that there are some Regent cruisers that feel entitled. We would avoid them at all costs!

Not to split hairs, but 'prejudice' implies a preconceived opinion that's not based on reason or actual experience. Once someone starts acting like a yutz, it's not really prejudice - it's treating a yutz like a yutz.

And I agree that there are far fewer yutzes on board - in fact, I can count on one hand the number of people who I felt deserved a Gibbs slap upside the head. So after six cruises, I figure we've sailed with close to 3,500 people - and I've really only observed boorish behavior in three or four. Not bad odds...

I've sometimes mused that the cruise lines hire 1 or 2 people to play the part of dorks. They are great fodder for conversation by the paying passengers. They would be paid out of the entertainment budget.

I've sometimes mused that the cruise lines hire 1 or 2 people to play the part of dorks. They are great fodder for conversation by the paying passengers. They would be paid out of the entertainment budget.

Two that come to mind (and their associated nicknames we bestowed upon them) were:

The 'gentleman' who bypassed the embarkation line and went straight to the front of the line. "I need to get on the ship"...he said. "Get yer sorry @** to the back of the line" the rest of us said. Somehow, he was much more important than the rest of us, I guess. The same guy who later burned out the clutch on a chartered Suzuki Justy 4x4 on our excursion in Corfu...and then told the guides "I don't know what happened...it just started smoking." Yeah, smoking after you slipped it up that hill for a mile and a half...for the rest of the cruise, he was known as 'Clutchy McLinecutter'.

Or on our last cruise...no, I better not post details...he might be on the forums and recognize himself...but let's just say the name 'Baby McGrumpypants' was applied. :D

Oh, I love our Regent cruises.

Great stories! I guess that I have seen that type of behavior on Regent . The worst, IMO, is getting onto the bus early and removing or sitting on "handicapped only" signs. Then, when someone gets onto the bus that truly needs the front seat, the "dork", "yutz" won't move their a**.

Two that come to mind (and their associated nicknames we bestowed upon them) were:

The 'gentleman' who bypassed the embarkation line and went straight to the front of the line. "I need to get on the ship"...he said. "Get yer sorry @** to the back of the line" the rest of us said. Somehow, he was much more important than the rest of us, I guess. The same guy who later burned out the clutch on a chartered Suzuki Justy 4x4 on our excursion in Corfu...and then told the guides "I don't know what happened...it just started smoking." Yeah, smoking after you slipped it up that hill for a mile and a half...for the rest of the cruise, he was known as 'Clutchy McLinecutter'.

Or on our last cruise...no, I better not post details...he might be on the forums and recognize himself...but let's just say the name 'Baby McGrumpypants' was applied. :D

Oh, I love our Regent cruises.

LOVE this! I'm glad we're not the only ones who make up stories about our fellow passengers! I'd love to dish details but, like you, I'm afraid they're on this forum

LOVE this! I'm glad we're not the only ones who make up stories about our fellow passengers! I'd love to dish details but, like you, I'm afraid they're on this forum

It is probably not worth starting a whole new thread, but it is tempting to start one devoted to names that passengers have come up with for some of their more dork-ish fellow passengers. UUNetBill has contributed a couple of great ones. We had a cruise once on the Paul Gauguin where the name that was chosen was "Popeye the Sailor Man". Again I won't go into details of why, but it wasn't because of a fondness for spinach.

On a cruise some years back there was an obnoxious fellow with whom we had the misfortune to share an excursion.

At every stop on a town walking tour he would loudly expound his 'knowledge', drowning out the poor local guide. He wore a distinctive, and very large, cowboy hat

At the end of the cruise we were sharing a beer at the airport with a couple of guys and we were each recounting our cruise experiences. We happened to mention our problems with the loud chap on the tour and before we got very far into the story they both, in unison, said "Oh, you mean the t**t with the hat!!"

I have never forgotten that rhyme :D