American Table/Feast

mdsgu

Yes, it's just what they've called the new set of menus.

American table are the "regular" cruise casual nights in the dining room;

American feast are the "elegant" nights in the dining room.

The menu is set up differently with an appetizer section, entrée section, a section "from the grill" and sides that you can select to add to your meal; there is also a daily "Port of Call" drink (extra cost), appetizer and entrée (both of those are included) customized to where you are. There is also a "Steakhouse Selection" section with special entrees which cost $20 (usually appear after the port of call stuff).

If you keep an open mind, there are a lot of new, tasty dishes along with a bunch of old favourites.

I personally am not a fan of the new menus. A lot of it has to do with the following:

--quality of their red meats

--way too much sodium in their food

--way too many deep fried options

I do like some of their appetizers. I love their cream of soups. Then my husband and I just split a meal.

Dessert - maybe once a week as a treat (or split with my husband) or the fruit plate as often as I want.

Just my opinion.

We actually like the American menus better than the old ones. DH often orders his entree without the sauce on it - he's not a big sauce eater on any cruise line.:D We avoid the Carnival marinara sauce at all cost LOL

As a matter of fact we prefer the down to earth CCL menus over the HAL menus - which tend to attempt a gourmet flair often not attained except for appearance.

Food preference is highly subjective but this is our perspective on it.

we have been on 5 cruises on 4 ships since the menu changed. can't really see the problem with it. we are not fancy eaters and always have plenty of choices we would enjoy. in fact still order more than one entrée or app many meals. it is way better than the grilled cheese or bowl of cereal you might find us eating for dinner at home.

For those complaining about the food, there are other cruise lines whose food may be more towards your liking. Make yourself happy and try them.

Whish I had a like button on here. ;p

With that said, I have been on many Carnival cruises I don't even remember what was on the old menu. But I do like the food in the MDR and am a fan of the service and choices given on the "new" menus.

For those complaining about the food, there are other cruise lines whose food may be more towards your liking. Make yourself happy and try them.

It's not just the food and I'm doing exactly that, but I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions - I don't need your advice! :mad:

I hate when people think "love it or leave it" is the only choice!

We've experienced the new menu from its second week on the Inspiration and many times since it began a few years ago.

It's evolved tremendously. Many of the things we liked on the old menu are still around. It's been interesting to see some of the new recipes have been tweaked. Must have had five renditions of the Root Vegetable pot pie until they got the recipe finalized.

IMO the vegetarian entrees and the appetizers are a bit better than the mains, though the fish is usually very well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The funny thing to me is on this menu they call appetizers "entrees" and call the entrees "main" LOL!! The first time I saw the menu I was a little confused LOL!!
It is only us North Americans that use the word "entrée" to mean the main part of the meal. Everywhere else it means what the word literally means, the entrance to the meal.

Wish I had a like button on here. ;p

With that said, I have been on many Carnival cruises I don't even remember what was on the old menu. But I do like the food in the MDR and am a fan of the service and choices given on the "new" menus.

This describes our experiences as well.

Despite the couple of bashing posts above, the new menus are an improvement, they offer some of the old favorites and new things to try.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And from all that I've read have been well received by a large percentage of cruisers.

And from all that I've read have been well received by a large percentage of cruisers.

My guess is that when the majority of the negative posts have to do with the tablecloth (as opposed to the food) then it is a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums