taking a cruise alone and i am female 67 yrs old

seasick mom

:confused:will i be alone by myself if i am cruising alone on a cruise i am 67 and a widow from south carolina and book a single cabin. i would not know how to meet anyone

Edited by seasick mom
spelling

You request a LARGE table at dinner....and be friendly at any event, pool, etc...that you attend! Other than that, I don't know! There are LOTS of friendly folks...just be open to anything! Go to your Roll Call...and make friends before you sail....onboard, just be willing to talk to anyone.

Personally, I think you're brave. I have no desire to sail (or vacation) alone. Have you no friends that could accompany you? I'd be asking my buddies!!! I'm in my 60's and wouldn't want to do an "alone" thing.

Edited by cb at sea

Since you're a cruise critic member, you might want to join the roll call for your cruise and you will have a chance to meet other cc members at their events. We haven't joined one ourselves yet so I can't tell you how. I believe cc has instructions under the roll call tab.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Luv2Crus40
changed a word

I am also a widow and had planned a cruise before my husband died (6months ago) I leave in less than 3 weeks solo. I think of this as an adventure, if I hate it well I won't ever do it again but nothing ventured nothing gained. I have booked traditional dining and asked for a large table. I am diamond on Royal carribean so plan to go to the diamond cocktail event each evening. I have been on over 20 cruises and feel I am very comfortable on cruise ships

If you sail on an NCL ship that has studio cabins (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Escape) there is a special concierge for the studios who arranges group events such as going to a specialty restaurant for dinner.

River cruises also have solo cabins and because they are smaller boats, you get to meet lots of the people onboard and have plenty of time to get to know everyone since the excursions are included with the river cruise fare and everyone is going on essentially the exact same excursions on the same few buses.

I have not cruised alone but often travel for business alone, and I have met many solo women onboard.

The posters are correct--join your roll call, big table, go to lots of activities (even a few you do not think you will particularly enjoy), smile and be friendly! We have wound up on excursions with single roll call buddies, and on our first cruise, we found two of the nicest people, both traveling solo, who joined us as a foursome for nearly everything, from trivia to breakfast to excursions, and even a specialty dinner.

A few cruises ago we met a lady in the waiting area for our ship booked cruise. We told us that she and her husband had loved cruising and he'd recently died. She decided that she was going to continue to do what she loved so this was her first solo cruise.

We stayed together the rest of the excursion eatting lunch together, doing some shopping and just visiting. She was from Australia and we're from Texas so enjoyed our conversations. Had a really good day and would stop and visit when seeing each other on board the rest of the cruise.

Have a great cruise.

Cruising is not like any other vacation. Smile and say "good morning. How are you today" and more then likely you will strike up a conversation with that person. People are usually pretty darn friendly on cruises.

I've taught my children and now grand children elevator etiquette on cruises. As people get off you say "have a nice day". I try to make them carry that through on land as well. It seems to make people smile.

if you post what cruise you are on (ship and date) someone will give you a link to the roll call. Someone on the roll call usually designates an area to meet for sailaway. If you are lucky there may be other singles on your roll call and they would like to link reservations for dinner or at the least someone will ask you to join their table. Make sure you post, even if it is to ask questions.

Your roll call may be putting together an independent tour that you are interested in. Singles are usually welcome. If not, if you take a ships excursion, you will still feel like you are part of the group.

You might have to go out of your comfort zone a little and just start chatting with people who are sitting near you.

There are activities you can do such as trivia where you join others for a team and get to know these people.

I always meet wonderful people in the hot tub. Don't assume that just because someone is part of a couple they are not interested in talking to you. While they have a friend in their spouse, that is usually the only friend they have on board. A good conversation starter is what they did in the ports and/or what they are planning to do in the next port. If you keep the conversation cruise related, you will find lots of people to talk to. You can always ask them about what other cruise ships, and ports they visited and which was their favorite or most interesting. People love to talk about their cruises and you can learn so much. I was recently on a Cunard cruise and everyone was interested in hearing about my Oasis cruise. Likewise, I am always interested in hearing about what others think of their cruises to places in the world I have never visited.

Have breakfast in the dining room and ask to sit at a large table by the window. Sometimes the tables are very chatty, sometimes you will only talk to the person next to you or across from you. You will not be eating alone. Same goes for lunch.

Good for you for getting out there. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

For a number of years after my divorce I cruised as a single - it is by far the best way to travel alone. Large tables at traditional dining, joining activities such as trivia, taking breakfast and lunch at common MDR tables, listening to others and adding input of mutual interest made it easy to overcome the "solo" feeling. Now remarried, my wife and I regularly cruise - still making new acquaintances: it remains the best way to have interaction while travelling.

I've cruised alone and thoroughly enjoyed it. My table mates were also single travelers for the most part and a few wound up on the same excursions. Just go and have an enjoyable time. Spa days also make good use of time if you're traveling solo. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like NCL. Those studio cabins on newer ships offer a nightly get together. Think you have to book just those cabins, not elsewhere on ship. Check them out .Have only read about them.Ask for a singles table if you decide on NCL fixed dining.My first solo cruise many years ago was on Norway(the old USS France), in Europe. Had a singles table for 12, great fun.

You request a LARGE table at dinner....and be friendly at any event, pool, etc...that you attend! Other than that, I don't know! There are LOTS of friendly folks...just be open to anything! Go to your Roll Call...and make friends before you sail....onboard, just be willing to talk to anyone.

Personally, I think you're brave. I have no desire to sail (or vacation) alone. Have you no friends that could accompany you? I'd be asking my buddies!!! I'm in my 60's and wouldn't want to do an "alone" thing.

OP,

I lost my DH last year after being together as a couple 47 years. I too am in my sixties and have to decide to travel solo.

I will not share a cabin and for someone who is blessed to have their partner with whom to travel to say you should be asking your buddies is so insensitive there are few words. IF you wanted to do that, I suspect you would be doing that.

Last month, I went on my first cruise since losing my dear DH with whom we sailed over 90+ cruises. A couple with whom we had traveled together invited me to sail with them as a means to try and get me back at sea. I accepted, had my own lovely cabin and am very happy I went. I certainly had my blue moments, missed by DH horribly but the good of the cruise more than out-balanced the bad.

Read your daily program and look for any sort of solo gatherings they often offer. If you are sitting at the pool, chat with the folks beside you. One day I went to the restaurant where suite guests could have breakfast and/or lunch and the nicest couple were seated beside my table for two. They could not have been more pleasant and invited me to join them if I wished. Seeing I had dinner each night with my friends, I declined but it gave me the confidence to think about cruising alone. If I had not been with friends, these very nice people would have welcomed me to dine with them.

I spent a fair amount of time in my cabin as that was my wish but it was what I needed. It had been a horrid 2 years for me and I needed the change of scenery, the sight and sound of people laughing and enjoying, having a few glasses of wine as I didn't have to drive home........

For someone who has not walked in the shoes you, I and a great many others to be so firm in saying they wouldn't travel alone should give some serious thought to repeating such a statement.

My DH was a very hale, hearty, hard working professional man with no signs of serious illness........ and then he wasn't. But for the Grace of God !!!

Go, really, if you want to go, Do It.

No one promises it is easy but the first time is the hardest they tell me.

Make your plans as uncomplicated as possible. Fly non-stop if you must travel to get to the ship, don't overbook excursions. You can decide to do more if you wish once you get to the ship.

Bring a photo of your lost loved one. that meant a lot to me. :)

Best wishes to you. Chin up and a smile on your face. :)

Edited by sail7seas

For someone who has not walked in those shoes, the best part of this post is "I DON'T KNOW".

Do you really think there are lots of solos in our 60's who wanted to lose our much loved partners and want to do an "alone" thing? While some may be thrilled to be rid of a partner they didn't cherish, there are a great many who feel differently.

Sounds like NCL. Those studio cabins on newer ships offer a nightly get together. Think you have to book just those cabins, not elsewhere on ship. Check them out .Have only read about them.Ask for a singles table if you decide on NCL fixed dining.My first solo cruise many years ago was on Norway(the old USS France), in Europe. Had a singles table for 12, great fun.

As far as I know, a solo can book any cabin on the ship they wish. They have to pay double fare if they choose a cabin intended for two but I had a lovely suite to myself. Yes, it was costly but worth it to me. We each decide how much something is worth to them. That is the category we always sailed and I felt I would set myself up to fail if I sailed in a small studio the first time I sailed alone. I was right! :)

As far as I know, a solo can book any cabin on the ship they wish. They have to pay double fare if they choose a cabin intended for two but I had a lovely suite to myself. Yes, it was costly but worth it to me. We each decide how much something is worth to them. That is the category we always sailed and I felt I would set myself up to fail if I sailed in a small studio the first time I sailed alone. I was right! :)

You made the right choice. When I sailed solo I did so because I outgrew the "roommate thing" when I got out of the Navy. I could not bring myself to springing for a balcony, but always had an outside, which was my minimum comfort level.

Actually, if you shop around you can find some single supplement fares which are less than double.

Over the years we've met many solo cruisers thru the roll calls and onboard.

To join a roll call simply start posting on the thread. If there isn't one started, start one. Some cruises and itins are more active.

Our HI cruise we met several who were traveling solo thru our roll call. On a Princess cruise out of LA we met a solo 80+yo. Walking thru the buffet he was greeted by many tables of pax. We met him in the MDR at a shared table.

I absolutely love sailing solo. I do it once a year due to my husband working, the rest of the time we cruise together.

There is nothing more wonderful than the feeling that you can do anything you want at any time. You have a great cabin (I usually sail in oceanviews) all for yourself. You can be as social as you want.....great suggestion about sitting at a large table for dinner. I have met some very nice people doing this. Also, sitting waiting for the show in the evening...met some great people sitting next to me.

Take a deep breath, relax, walk all over the ship and try different (fun) cocktails or something that you wouldn't normally do.

I also take my iPhone filled with great tunes, pop on my headphones and walk round the promenade deck getting lots of fresh air, swinging my arms and just feeling relaxed.

One thing I found invaluable is that I carry a small over the shoulder purse that my Kindle fits in perfectly. If I just want to sit and have a drink I can just bring out my book and feel totally accepted....there is absolutely no reason to feel embarressed anywhere sitting by yourself.

Once you get over your initial nervousness, you will absolutely love it. It is a lovely safe way to travel and just smell the ocean.

Have a fabulous cruise....believe me, you will have a great time.

PS One thing is that you don't always have to pay double to travel solo. The cruise I am going on (Norwegian) next year, I only paid 150% for my outside cabin....and it came with the ultimate beverage package! Never had that before...I am going to have fun trying lots of froo froo drinks that I would never have considered before....most of which I am sure I won't like but it will be fun trying!

PPS...sorry, I keep thinking of things....just make sure that you don't overpack. I always make sure that I can handle my suitcase on my own. Either testing that I can lift it into a cab trunk or drag up and down stairs....you never want to have anything that is too heavy for you.

PPPS...I am 54 so not a young super fit thing by any means :=)

Have fun

Edited by Theodorable

Apart from the Traditional Dining first or second sitting, you can generally meet a fair few more people by additionally using the Main Dining Room for Breakfast, peak times on shared tables. So that's two meal times where you might encounter interesting people. Participating in quizzes and other things where teams are needed are good as many people form a team at the actual time and venue.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I

<snip>

PS One thing is that you don't always have to pay double to travel solo. The cruise I am going on (Norwegian) next year, I only paid 150% for my outside cabin....and it came with the ultimate beverage package! Never had that before...I am going to have fun trying lots of froo froo drinks that I would never have considered before....most of which I am sure I won't like but it will be fun trying!

PPS...sorry, I keep thinking of things....just make sure that you don't overpack. I always make sure that I can handle my suitcase on my own. Either testing that I can lift it into a cab trunk or drag up and down stairs....you never want to have anything that is too heavy for you.

PPPS...I am 54 so not a young super fit thing by any means :=)

Have fun

Though HAL is my Cruise Line home, the solo cruise I just took was on NCL. I had to pay double to have my balcony. I also got the unlimited dining and beverage packages, pre-paid gratuities and OBC. Those additional extras helped make the high price a little less severe.

Very good advice about not overpacking.

Edited by sail7seas

Would you consider listing your count down clocks vertically rather than horizontally?

The way they are now, forces us to scroll back and forth to read the page as they extend beyond the margin.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it annoying to have to scroll back and forth in order to read a post.

Thanks if you will consider doing that. :)

:confused:will i be alone by myself if i am cruising alone on a cruise i am 67 and a widow from south carolina and book a single cabin. i would not know how to meet anyone

Hello, Seasick Mom!

Where in SC are you? I'm in Charlotte, barely across the state line. I'm 70 & had cruised a lot w/DH for many (44+) years.

My DH died 6 yrs. ago. Since then I've taken 4 cruises: first 2 w/friends & 2 solo (one on Princess & one on HAL, both 14 days). "Solo" took a bit of adjustment, but I quickly found I really liked doing what I wanted to do when I wanted. I'm also still planning to cruise w/my BFF.

My 1st solo was port-intensive, the 2nd had lots of sea days. I usually love sea days, but found that I had too much time on my hands & was a bit lonely. I did join the CC roll calls on both & did some private excursions w/roll call mates.

I did Anytime Dining on both solo cruises; sometimes it worked well, sometimes not so well. However, I wanted the freedom to be on deck whenever we sailed from the ports. I wish I'd done traditional dining on the 2nd cruise w/many sea days & met more people. Live & learn.

Just tonight, I was studying the Princess catalog & trying to plan for next year -- 1 cruise w/family; 1 solo.

You have to decide & try what seems to work for you. I cruise because it's the best way forthis 'older' woman to see the world at whatever pace I can manage (some mobility issues).

I'm going to take a risk now & give you my email address; we can chat about being solo cruisers & Carolina neighbors. dottie@shattuck.net