backpack vs cross body bag

How much stuff are you bringing bringing onshore? We pack light-- small $US wallet, small $Peso wallet (we primarily cruise the Mexican Riviera), med kit, water, folded up shopping bag, maybe phone, maybe light jacket.

I prefer cross-body. Hopefully I'll be able to see if someone has sticky fingers. Mom and I both medium Ameribags.

DD has a small REI backpack that is her go to bag.

Sis likes the cheap drawstring backpacks. She's been using an orange Carnival one that they got when they booked onboard. Think it's really supposed to be given if you apply for the credit card.

The few times we've snorkeled, we use our snorkel bags as our purses.

Here's a whole thread about cross body bags

Looking for cross body bag recommendation

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367592

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I love my Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 shoulder bag. It's packed with anti-theft security features and just big enough to hold the essentials, with a comfortable shoulder strap (I wear it cross-body):

http://www.pacsafe.com/bags/shoulder-bags-cross-body.html

Mine is an older version than the ones available now, but it is still in great condition after years of use.

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling

I love my Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 shoulder bag. It's packed with anti-theft security features and just big enough to hold the essentials, with a comfortable shoulder strap (I wear it cross-body):

Mine is an older version than the ones available now, but it is still in great condition after years of use.

I have the exact same bag. After trying other security bags and finding them not to be big enough. I got the Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 and it's just perfect. I also wear it cross-body.

I prefer cross-body bags - as others have said, you can reach into it to get things without taking it off, and it's almost impossible for someone to get into it while you're standing in a line somewhere with your attention distracted, as they could with a backpack.

Edited by Kartgv

Back packs are a magnet in crowded tourist areas for pickpockets especially in Europe.

Forget the pickpockets. Keep an eye on that swarm of kids with the bandaged fingers (hiding the razor blade used to slit the bottom of backpacks, purses, pants pockets, etc.)

I keep important things like money, cards, phone, in a pacsafe crossbody camera case with security bits and pieces so that I don't have to take it off to pay for things. actually I never take it off while off the ship, camera is usually around the neck, and being held as it is heavy, and backpack with non precious items, such as water, umbrella, raincoat etc. K.

Another vote for this. We have a lovely grey version which is great and my husband and i both use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forget the pickpockets. Keep an eye on that swarm of kids with the bandaged fingers (hiding the razor blade used to slit the bottom of backpacks, purses, pants pockets, etc.)

The got to my friends money clip that was in one of his zipped cargo pants pocket while they were in Italy.

Really need to have the mind of a thief to protect yourself as a tourist......listen to inner voice....,stay away from crowds and give yourself distance.......when someone stops you to strike up conversation, keep walking and carry things in front of you never behind or out of view.

I've never felt the need to buy a special purpose tourist bag like the Pacsafe. I just take whatever cross-body I'm using at home at the time of my travels. I DO travel with a daypack as my "personal item" on flights and trains, but I have my cross-body inside of it along with my flight necessities (noise-cancelling headphones, tablet, toiletries bag, any necessary hard-copy documentation). But, once I get to my destination, the daypack stays at the hotel/ship.

I keep my wits about me when I'm out and about. I do the same regardless of location, be it Paris, Rome, New York, Phoenix, Des Moines... As someone who travels solo, it is up to me to ensure my travel safety.

Edited by slidergirl

Maxpedition products like my Sitka (across the body backpack) has been to 20 plus countries and countless excursions. It's heavy-duty canvas and would take a lot more than a razor to slice through unlike the school backpacks (Jensen?). I also have a TSA cable lock on it. The thing that is great with this type of pack is that you can slide it in front of you if you are in crowded areas that are prone to theft.

The got to my friends money clip that was in one of his zipped cargo pants pocket while they were in Italy.

I wish others would read this. I can't tell you how many times I've told people that cargo pockets are NOT a safe place when it comes to pickpockets in Europe -- but they don't believe....

Maxpedition products like my Sitka (across the body backpack) has been to 20 plus countries and countless excursions. It's heavy-duty canvas and would take a lot more than a razor to slice through unlike the school backpacks (Jensen?). I also have a TSA cable lock on it. The thing that is great with this type of pack is that you can slide it in front of you if you are in crowded areas that are prone to theft.

Hopefully it'll never be out to the test because a razor blade will cut through canvas with very little effort. Kevlar bags (with Kevlar straps) like PacSafe are much more resistant (and lighter and easily recognized by thugs as too much trouble).

There are plenty of test and review videos of max products showing their durability. I don't claim them to be impregnable but the style of crime and implement used would be 'too much trouble' on my pack compared to the average pack I described. If someone wants to put a safe on their back that's their call.

The site: 1000 denier weight ballistic nylon fabric.

Edited by Brigbound

There are plenty of test and review videos of max products showing their durability. I don't claim them to be impregnable but the style of crime and implement used would be 'too much trouble' on my pack compared to the average pack I described. If someone wants to put a safe on their back that's their call.

Perhaps you're missing the point. Kevlar is not only more resistant to cutting, it is a fraction of the weight of the type of canvas you describe. Of course, at the bottom line, "to each his/her own."

Perhaps you're missing the point. Kevlar is not only more resistant to cutting, it is a fraction of the weight of the type of canvas you describe. Of course, at the bottom line, "to each his/her own."

Fair enough. Safe travels.

If you're going to be in even moderately crowded conditions, your fellow travelers will thank you for wearing a cross body bag instead of a backpack. I am 5'1", and I've lost track of the number of times (easily in the dozens) that I've been smacked (hard!) in the face by someone taller than me wearing a backpack who swung around suddenly without bothering to check their surroundings first. :mad:

If you're going to be in even moderately crowded conditions, your fellow travelers will thank you for wearing a cross body bag instead of a backpack. I am 5'1", and I've lost track of the number of times (easily in the dozens) that I've been smacked (hard!) in the face by someone taller than me wearing a backpack who swung around suddenly without bothering to check their surroundings first. :mad:

I hear you, but I have good situational awareness, and my shoulder and neck can't take a heavy cross body.