Flowrider Question

He definitely didn't do it as well as you, but he did it without wiping out so that's the main thing.

I looked at the RonJon site and they had a couple in the $80 range that I think might work. The water sounds like it's heated (at least a couple of posts seemed to indicate that) but it's the wind and air temp while standing that could be a problem. Unless we get a really warm spell when we're embarking (and we've had a few mid December warm days) it's going to be cold until we get down past the Carolinas so they may not even open it the first day or so.

As for your cats, I may be deathly allergic but I still love your pictures. And hate all of the people who abuse those poor babies. And all of the dogs in the shelters that you post...seriously I want each one of them.

One of our local rescues runs an adoption center out of the local PetSmart. Turns out that they are remodeling and gave the rescue barely 30 days' notice to get the animals out of the store. The rescue is scrambling to find fosters/adopters for all of these wonderful dogs and it's just awful. But no matter how much I beg Jason, he keeps telling me that we can't have another one in the house with our schedules right now. I think Korra would love a sibling, but she's almost more than my mom can handle when she comes over and she's told us if we get another, she's not coming to help out anymore. So all I can do is repost and share and hope for the best.

Practice makes perfect. I keep telling myself that when I try new things and I am afraid I will get hurt. I know that kick flips will NEVER be on my bucket list but I keep trying other (somewhat safer) tricks :)

Thanks for posting the animals, you just never know who you might reach that way and many animals are saved from people sharing a post.

Definitely no divider for stand-up on RCCL. JW would immediately order a new Ferrari if they did.

My oldest son and I had to learn how to do a Show Pony after losing to Pezz in BOTB last October. Compared to the harder tricks I try (and usually fail) the crowd always loves that one.

I just bought a wetsuit top for our now annual March cruises out of Galveston. It will also come in handy for the early sessions on Oasis this October.

JC, nice MINI profile picture. I had an '04 MCS until last year when I did the unthinkable and traded it in for a Countryman S due to having 2 teenage boys to cram in the back.

Definitely no divider for stand-up on RCCL. JW would immediately order a new Ferrari if they did.

My oldest son and I had to learn how to do a Show Pony after losing to Pezz in BOTB last October. Compared to the harder tricks I try (and usually fail) the crowd always loves that one.

I don't think pezz ever loses. The show I competed against him in March was the exact same one that you can watch him do on YouTube. Same songs, moves etc... DW wondered how many times does he need to sign the same board on his B2B2B2B.:rolleyes:

That being said he is a fun guy in line and he encompass the spirit of flow-riding and cruising as well. I'd love to sail with him any day. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

I don't think pezz ever loses. The show I competed against him in March was the exact same one that you can watch him do on YouTube. Same songs, moves etc... DW wondered how many times does he need to sign the same board on his B2B2B2B.:rolleyes:

That being said he is a fun guy in line and he encompass the spirit of flow-riding and cruising as well. I'd love to sail with him any day. :)

He was doing a B2B the week after our cruise (of course), and he emailed me afterwards letting me know he fell during the next week's BOTB so he lost.

But I'm still concerned with the weather factor. The sports manager, Anthony, told us that if the weather is below 10C, they will shut the flowrider. I think that's about 50F, and I'm sure it's going to be colder than that in Bayonne in December.

That's only an issue the first and last day - the rest of the time you should be far enough south to have warmer weather. The flowrider was open everyday on the TA from Southampton to Bayonne in Nov - temps in the 50s. The water was warm and it was enjoyable even without a wet suit, tho that would have helped.

He was doing a B2B the week after our cruise (of course), and he emailed me afterwards letting me know he fell during the next week's BOTB so he lost.

It sucks that he fell, but it gave another rider a chance to win. So it is all good in my books.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I just bought a wetsuit top for our now annual March cruises out of Galveston. It will also come in handy for the early sessions on Oasis this October.

JC, nice MINI profile picture. I had an '04 MCS until last year when I did the unthinkable and traded it in for a Countryman S due to having 2 teenage boys to cram in the back.

My MINI S is an O3, that I had to wait 6 months to get, it has about 75,000 miles now, and mostly runs like a new car. How do you like the big one. I am a bit put off by the way it looks, no air scoop on the hood, and big...

Pezz makes fun of the trick pony

jc

My MINI S is an O3, that I had to wait 6 months to get, it has about 75,000 miles now, and mostly runs like a new car. How do you like the big one. I am a bit put off by the way it looks, no air scoop on the hood, and big...

Pezz makes fun of the trick pony

jc

CM is ok. It's underpowered since it has the same engine as the coupe, and doesn't have the go-cart feel to it. But the AWD comes in handy for Colorado winters, and it fits two teenage boys in the back seat for the 6 hour drive to Albuquerque to go Flowriding.

WARNING !

Make sure your swim shorts are tight.

The pressure of the water will make them leave your body.

I know, it happened to me.

Made the trip for my friends worth it.

Even if you do not want to do the flow rider, go and watch.

It is fun to see the noobs and the pros.

:D

Here was my experience...

http://www.chaseclub.com/robin/cruise/video7.wmv

I have heard a surfer say that it is not the same. By the end of the week he was comfortable on the wave.

The surfers that I have talked to say that it is pretty different from what they are used to doing. The people that pick it up the fastest that I have seen so far are skateboarders. I used to snowboard at one point but it still helped me learn. If a person has good balance and some coordination they will be able to get the hang of it relatively quickly.

Thanks!!

Noticed you are from Simcoe. How come we can't get a wave near us here in Southern Ontario?

I don't know why we can't get one closer to us. I called the Windsor waterpark 3 weeks ago as their web site said they offered it on Saturday mornings from 9-12. I was disappointed to learn that they did not offer it in the summer and had it on Wednesdays sometimes. I have not called Kalahari at Cedar point yet to see if they allow stand up but that would take probably 4 hours to get to. If one opened up closer to us I think it would be a pretty good business adventure. It is way too long between cruises to go without.

I sailed and lost against Pezz too in the bob on the allure a couple years ago. He does have a good routine and it is pretty funny. He is a great guy who I email as well from time to time. Hope to see him again on a ship as we enjoyed his company.

I believe I was told that Sea Trek on the RCCL ships rent wetsuits as well. Might be worth looking into prior to buying them so you do not have to lug them around with you.

I did stop at the Sea Trek desk to ask about them and he told me they rent them, but that they are really dive suits and therefore thicker. My BIL dives and has three suits for different conditions. His thinner suit is a 2mm/3mm and that's what the sports director Anthony recommended. We have a dive shop near the house, so I'm going to check that out and see what they think.

The boys have always worn rash guards but wetsuits feel entirely different. I'm hoping to get thinner for maximum flexibility.

I was at Kalahari in Ohio riding 2 weeks ago. Kalahari Resorts (at least the one in Wisconsin and the one in Ohio) permit stand up surfing, and I believe I was told that all 3 of their resorts do permit it. Kalahari used to permit it and then banned stand up for about a year. I had a reservation there a year or so ago and cancelled it. When asked why I was cancelling it, I told them the only reason I was going there was to do the stand up riding and I would not return til they reinstated it. I was told it was reinstated in December of 2014 and can confirm that I did stand up (in Ohio).

There were only 5 of us in total the entire 2 days we were there that attempted stand up, and 3 of us had our own boards to ride. You just have to sign a waiver first and get an extra wrist band (just like on the ship). The crowd really went nuts over any of us did stand up since so few of the people there did it and they did not get a chance to witness it very often.

I forgot to mention...at Kalahari, you can book the one hour session before it opens to the public or after it closes. It costs $30 per person and they require a minimum of 3 riders. They cancel the session if they do not get the 3 riders. Far cheaper to get it to yourself and 2 friends there for $90 as opposed to the $350 or so it costs to do so on the ship.

I'm going to check out the Kalahari site again and make a call. If they have the stand up, it's only about an hour or so for us to get up there.

Do you think that if I paid the full $90 for the minimum they'd let my boys ride? That's much cheaper than renting it out in full on the ship, or even for the two of them to get lessons again. I don't know if we have a third rider who can do stand up. On Freedom last week, his girlfriend and one of the other friends tried it and managed about 5-10 seconds, but I'm not sure either of them would be interested in going with us.

I sailed and lost against Pezz too in the bob on the allure a couple years ago. He does have a good routine and it is pretty funny. He is a great guy who I email as well from time to time. Hope to see him again on a ship as we enjoyed his company.

The thing I like about Pezz is his personality. He was friendly where ever you saw him on the ship. I saw him giving tips at the flowrider, and I saw him in the Royal Promenade helping direct people to something they were looking for.

I guess if I ever won BOB I would retire from the competiting on that specific ship. If I was on a different ship I'd compete if I was invited. The idea of winning so many times just isn't me, but I guess I have to win one first.:) I figure there are many others out there who would like the chance to compete and maybe even win.

The week I sailed with Pezz I competed in the BOB. I was on a B2B and the second week I was invited but declined to let someone else take my spot. It was just as much fun to watch the people I rode with all week compete than to competiting myself.

I don't know why we can't get one closer to us. I called the Windsor waterpark 3 weeks ago as their web site said they offered it on Saturday mornings from 9-12. I was disappointed to learn that they did not offer it in the summer and had it on Wednesdays sometimes. I have not called Kalahari at Cedar point yet to see if they allow stand up but that would take probably 4 hours to get to. If one opened up closer to us I think it would be a pretty good business adventure. It is way too long between cruises to go without.

I was in Windsor on the Saturday August 15th for the Saturday morning riding. In the summer there were not offering Wednesday. I think the person you chatted with had no idea. I rented out the Friday night before for an hour. After riding it for that hour I would never rent it out solo again for a multitude of reasons. The 3 hours on Saturday is a deal for $10 even with the poor quality of the wave not to mention how hot the building was.

The thing I like about Pezz is his personality. He was friendly where ever you saw him on the ship. I saw him giving tips at the flowrider, and I saw him in the Royal Promenade helping direct people to something they were looking for.

I guess if I ever won BOB I would retire from the competiting on that specific ship. If I was on a different ship I'd compete if I was invited. The idea of winning so many times just isn't me, but I guess I have to win one first.:) I figure there are many others out there who would like the chance to compete and maybe even win.

The week I sailed with Pezz I competed in the BOB. I was on a B2B and the second week I was invited but declined to let someone else take my spot. It was just as much fun to watch the people I rode with all week compete than to competiting myself.

My favorite experience with Pezz was when we were waiting at guest services and Pezz walked by and saw us. He came over and went up to the agent and told her to take care of us. When he walked away, without missing a beat the agent said "this is our new service offering, personal service provided by Pinnacle members".

I did stop at the Sea Trek desk to ask about them and he told me they rent them, but that they are really dive suits and therefore thicker. My BIL dives and has three suits for different conditions. His thinner suit is a 2mm/3mm and that's what the sports director Anthony recommended. We have a dive shop near the house, so I'm going to check that out and see what they think.

The boys have always worn rash guards but wetsuits feel entirely different. I'm hoping to get thinner for maximum flexibility.

I actually take a full suit(3mm?), a ripcurl top(1.5mm) and a couple of rash guards(long and short sleeve). The ripcurl top is what I like the most as it has long sleeves and provides my elbows protection and does not get overly warm. I did use the full suit in the evening as it is fairly cool when the sun goes down. I also put all of these items in my board bag to help protect my board and take up less suit case room. If I were leaving from a northern port I would definitely want the full suit on board even though it is not comfortable and very restrictive in comparison.

I was in Windsor on the Saturday August 15th for the Saturday morning riding. In the summer there were not offering Wednesday. I think the person you chatted with had no idea. I rented out the Friday night before for an hour. After riding it for that hour I would never rent it out solo again for a multitude of reasons. The 3 hours on Saturday is a deal for $10 even with the poor quality of the wave not to mention how hot the building was.

I was inquiring about that exact Saturday(it was going to be a weekend away for us). We were going to get a hotel room the night before and be there that morning until I called and got the reply I did. I wish I had posted here first as I would have been able to hang out with another royal cruiser:(. For 10.00 I am willing to make the trek down there for sure some time. What did you not like about the wave that they have there? I like heat so that would not bother me at all if the building is a bit warm. When you rented it were you the only one on it? I rode one time last year for over an hour with one other person on the liberty and both of us could hardly walk after that. It was fun but you need a few extra people to give you a little break.

I actually take a full suit(3mm?), a ripcurl top(1.5mm) and a couple of rash guards(long and short sleeve). The ripcurl top is what I like the most as it has long sleeves and provides my elbows protection and does not get overly warm. I did use the full suit in the evening as it is fairly cool when the sun goes down. I also put all of these items in my board bag to help protect my board and take up less suit case room. If I were leaving from a northern port I would definitely want the full suit on board even though it is not comfortable and very restrictive in comparison.

What is your thought on a "shorty" suit? That might be a good midpoint for them, helping keep the core warm but giving more flexibility and not as restrictive.

What is your thought on a "shorty" suit? That might be a good midpoint for them, helping keep the core warm but giving more flexibility and not as restrictive.[/QU

Your best bet would be to see what is available near you at a local store and have your boys try them on to see how they feel in them. I would say that the thickness would be the major factor in how much flexibility you are going to be giving up. The ship will not run the flowrider if the air is too cold (50 degrees I think is the cut off?)I used to use a shorty in the ocean with water temperatures around 65 degrees and that was ok. I did not buy another shorty because I like to have the long sleeves for when you end up on the hard plastic grate after a wipe out(my preferred rash guard has long sleeves too). If the weather is cooler the chances of them getting more time on the wave is probably pretty good provided they have the appropriate suits to keep warm. If I had to choose only one wetsuit for the trip I would probably go with a shorty as well but I would try to find one with long sleeves(a shorty also works well for bathing suit shorts overtop).

I am glad I cruise the caribbean from FLL and never have to worry about it getting cold.

I used to wear a short sleeved rash guard, but now I only wear the long sleeve ones with board shorts. I do not find the long sleeved rash guards restrictive at all, and prefer the protection they offer. I only have to put sun screen on my face, back of neck and lower legs. Also, since I do tricks, the elbow protection is nice.

I was at Kalahari in Sandusky 2 weeks ago riding there on their 2 waves. Lines were about 10 people or so always (we were there mid August on a Tuesday and a Wednesday). If you have 3 riders, you can book it for $30 each for an hour before it opens or after it closes. Great deal. I wish Windsor would expand their stand up times to make it worth the drive there. There read a year ago about a large indoor water park with flowrider to be built in Toronto (in Downsview I thought) but have heard nothing about it in the past year and cannot locate any info on it any longer.

Do you think that if I paid the full $90 for the minimum they'd let my boys ride? That's much cheaper than renting it out in full on the ship, or even for the two of them to get lessons again. I don't know if we have a third rider who can do stand up. On Freedom last week, his girlfriend and one of the other friends tried it and managed about 5-10 seconds, but I'm not sure either of them would be interested in going with us.

They definitely would do that for you. I did that there a couple years ago. My buddy signed up and I signed up for my daughter and myself so we had 3. My daughter did one run and had had enough, so my buddy and I shared it for the hour. Book yourself in one of the spots and just say you changed your mind and still pay for the 3 slots, they will be happy to do it for you.