Recommendations for travel clock

I'm heading on a cruise in 52 days (but who's counting) and have opted for an interior cabin this time around. Since the room will be pitch black I'd like to know when I wake up if it's 3 am or 10 am. I have a travel clock but it isn't back lit and only lights up if I push a button. I can never find it in the dark without knocking it off the bed side table and waking everyone up.

Does anyone out there have a clock that they use that they would recommend? I'd like to have something that is battery operated and back lit so I can see it from across the room.

I wear a Time watch to bed. I push the button and the dial lights up. Small, compact, as close as my hand so I can see the face of it. I can sit it on my bedside rather than wearing it. It works for me as an alternative if I don't need to set an alarm. About $30, Kohl's & Walmart typically sells it. Just a thought ...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can just download one of the free alarm clock apps. You can adjust the brightness so it also acts as a night light. Just keep your device plugged in to charge overnight.

No cost if you have one of these. They still work without the internet, and you the scrolling ads disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use a travel alarm all the time. It is made by Night Vision, model number 30330. When in the dark it stays lit; otherwise regular digital. It is battery operated. Use it as my regular alarm clock as well as for travel. I like it because it's small - fits on my nightstand without taking up a lot of room. My plug in clock is across the room and difficult for me to see at night without glasses!

Make sure you get a battery operated clock! Once we had a plug in clock and the ship's current was different and it messed up the time.

I put my clock on my bedside table, my husband does the same with his. Granted we have to 'hit' a button for light to come on and see the time but that's no big thing.

I forgot my clock last cruise so we put my husbands on the head board or between the two of us against the head board. (A B2B on two ships)

We got our small clocks at Wal-Mart, both for under $10.00.

My husband has a watch that lights up but he has to put on his glasses to see the time!

We have had inside cabins and always leave the bathroom light on, sometimes cracking the door open a bit. Light also comes in under the door from hall lights.

I use a travel alarm all the time. It is made by Night Vision, model number 30330. When in the dark it stays lit; otherwise regular digital. It is battery operated. Use it as my regular alarm clock as well as for travel. I like it because it's small - fits on my nightstand without taking up a lot of room. My plug in clock is across the room and difficult for me to see at night without glasses!

I was too late to edit. Actual brand name is Equity Night Vision, 30330. Around $12.

Cell phone on airplane mode. And the cabin may not be completely black. Light tends to seep in, and so many things have those little lights that you never notice otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As was mentioned,make sure your clock is battery or "wind-up" as the power on ships is usually 50Hz, and that messes with motors. As for using your phone. Unless you disable the internet/wi-fi function you are creating a very expensive clock as it will be updating. Also, the Captain may declare a "Ship's Time"that may not be the same as local time causing you to be waving good-bye to the ship as she leaves without you.

Clock models change with the phases of the moon :). Just go to Walmart or Target and look at what they have in stock. Many of the clocks will light in the dark.. Our favorite for cruises is an old cheap clock that also has an accurate digital thermometer. If there is an issue with our cabin (or hotel room temp) this has proved helpful when we ask for help. (i.e. our cabin is 79 degrees and not nice).

Hank

Trouble with using phone is you have to pick it up and look at it. OPsaid he wanted something that would stay lit that he could glance at. He didn't want to risk waking others or knocking clock/phone off nightstand. Hence using a travel clock with battery back light I think is a better choice.

Trouble with using phone is you have to pick it up and look at it. OPsaid he wanted something that would stay lit that he could glance at. He didn't want to risk waking others or knocking clock/phone off nightstand. Hence using a travel clock with battery back light I think is a better choice.

Not really. Set "autolock" to "never;" turn on "night watch;" open "clock" app; connect phone to charger; prop phone up on desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've got a Brookstone compact travel alarm clock. cyan blue backlight. Shows temperature. Battery operated. About $30. I've had mine since I did a safari in 2011. The tents had no outlets. A battery alarm clock was a must - did not want to be late for breakfast and the morning game drives!!! Brookstone still carries one like it.

After making your selection be sure to test the alarm a couple of times to make sure you will wake up when it goes off. The first travel alarm we purchased rang with all the authority of a small bee buzzing. Second clock the alarm would not ring if set between the numbers such at 6:30 AM. Finally we found one we liked.

BobR

I love my little travel clock I picked up on a Princess cruise, turn a nob to change time zones, built in torch. Very handy.

You must have the same one I do. I was able to buy mine locally and even gave one to all my friends and family. So convenient, a flashlight and a world time clock that easily changes time zones by rotating the end. Also tells the temp and is an alarm clock. Mine is made by Journey's Edge.

51O5fSzbGEL._SX425_.jpg

I love old-fashioned things, and bought an old clock from e-bay. It folds up into its own case. Many may remember the style!

But, for a CHEAP option, just put a battery "tea candle" in front of your clock! We keep one on the balcony (when we have one) and one in the bathroom to avoid waking each other up with a bright bathroom light.

Download "the clock" for your iPhone. Works great!

After making your selection be sure to test the alarm a couple of times to make sure you will wake up when it goes off. The first travel alarm we purchased rang with all the authority of a small bee buzzing. Second clock the alarm would not ring if set between the numbers such at 6:30 AM. Finally we found one we liked.

BobR

Can I assume that my travel clock radio will not work on radio mode? I hate waking to a buzzer.

Can I assume that my travel clock radio will not work on radio mode? I hate waking to a buzzer.

Probaby won't as there are no radio stations nearby, unless you are near a port. You will probably wake up to static. You could as Guest Relations for a wakeup call, usually that works.

Probaby won't as there are no radio stations nearby, unless you are near a port. You will probably wake up to static. You could as Guest Relations for a wakeup call, usually that works.

Not sure which is worse a buzzer or the phone.