Will Virgin Cruises be on par with Celebrity?

ImpulsivePuppy

Agreed! Sure look forward to hearing more about this new competitor ...they are known to enter a market with a bang, or maybe a splash in this case!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are spot on with the analogy, they will certainly cause some waves when they do launch.:p

Flown BA a few times...

Only ever lost luggage...same flight where they apologised they had only one meal choice...

Another long haul flight as I went to sit down the flight attendant told me to wait a minute because my seat was broken and she needed to 'prop' it first with a spare pillow!

Last flight we had to run a marathon through T5 to get our connection....Only to be greeted by a really sullen air hostess saying 'you are lucky we waited'.

Dread to think what their idea of on board service would be.

As you say, nothing wrong with Virgin economy!

Agree that Virgin is more impressive across the board (apart from First Class which Virgin doesn't have) than BA and a lot of the US airlines - which in my experience are poor by comparison (BA really does live off a past reputation). Where Virgin comes unstuck is when you compare it with the innovation being offered by a lot of the Middle Eastern airlines (Owners with deep pockets), and some of the Asian carriers.

Virgin Atlantic used to be great at advertising brand new wonderful features that were in reality only available of a few of its aircraft (and then very slowly rolled out across the rest of the fleet). Also, when they started didn't they start up with spruced up very old 747-200, so maybe their new ship will be a jazzed up old one...

Edited by DYKWIA

They won't be cruising until 2020. I've seen some renderings of the proposed ship and it looks very innovative. But, in one set of drawings, it sure seems that Virgin Cruises will be a class system. There's some pictures of how each deck is laid out and there sure seems to be a lot of places designated as "First Class Only", which includes pools, lounges and even entertainment areas. I'm not sure if that kind of thing is a good idea. Some people here on Celebrity's board complain about the perks for suites, and claim that they don't like the perceived class system on Celebrity ships, so I'm not so sure that people would like a lot more of a class system on Virgin ships.

They won't be cruising until 2020. I've seen some renderings of the proposed ship and it looks very innovative. But, in one set of drawings, it sure seems that Virgin Cruises will be a class system. There's some pictures of how each deck is laid out and there sure seems to be a lot of places designated as "First Class Only", which includes pools, lounges and even entertainment areas. I'm not sure if that kind of thing is a good idea. Some people here on Celebrity's board complain about the perks for suites, and claim that they don't like the perceived class system on Celebrity ships, so I'm not so sure that people would like a lot more of a class system on Virgin ships.

Are you sure it was the plans for a Virgin ship you saw :rolleyes: ....watch this space :D.

I am not sure why people are so against cruise ships having the differing areas as perks, Airlines and hotels have had this for many a year and do not seem to have the same complaints that cruises get. I suppose some do it better than others. I would just like to say I don't believe it is a 'Class' system but rather 'Cost' system that separates the people into differing areas.

Just about every line does this in one form another. I'm ok with it, more room for us down in steerage!!:D:D

My experiences with Virgin Atlantic have been good in all 3 classes. Economy is exactly what the name suggests and can't be worse than BA economy (which I flew last year) Yuck!

Both times I flew Virgin Atlantic one of my flights was canceled. The first time they were going to bus me from Newark to JFK during rush hour and it would have been impossible to make the new flight. After some argument they put us on a BA flight. The second time from Washington they canceled my return flight. The next flight was the next day. They would not put me in a hotel overnight. Also I was supposed to be at work the next day. They had a flight to Newark so I asked to sub that for the Washington flight as I could take the train from Newark back to Washington. So they did but the only seat were premium economy. They made me pay to upgrade. So I am not a fan of their service.

However I believe Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Cruises, Virgin America, and Virgin Trains are only using the name. I will wait for some reviews about the cruise line.

Edited by Charles4515

I am not sure why people are so against cruise ships having the differing areas as perks, Airlines and hotels have had this for many a year and do not seem to have the same complaints that cruises get. I suppose some do it better than others. I would just like to say I don't believe it is a 'Class' system but rather 'Cost' system that separates the people into differing areas.

So true! I have seen so many post their dislike of the suite "class system" but think nothing of flying business or first class and making use of a hotel's executive lounge.

IMHO it makes more sense to pay for an upgrade on a cruise of a few weeks than for flight of a few hours or a hotel stay of a few days. Our spending priorities are cruise, then hotels, then flights.

Edited by Project_gal

It is all about choices...we like a bigger room, balcony, in suite bar set up...so we are happy to pay more....Those who see their cabin as a place just to sleep pay less.

I think some of the negatives re Celebrity and suites are because some guests feel they have 'lost' something for the suite system to come into play (Michael's Club, Luminae off the MDR).

Perhaps, as one would expect the new ships to be suite ready it will be less of an issue.

Interestingly enough, many on this board seem to be taking issue with kitty9's post and interpreting it their own way, but I can assure you that kitty9 did not have steerage-class accommodations on the X cruise we were on two years ago, so I don't think she is speaking as one who has sour grapes towards those who can afford upscale accommodations. She graciously let us view her fabulous suite (forget the category name, but the one with the grand piano and the spa tub on deck, and the bathroom that was bigger than two of our cabins put together. Essentially, it was the biggest suite on the ship [emoji33]) on our cabin crawl, so I highly doubt that she is against suite people getting their special perks

Edited by 4cats4me

I think some of the negatives re Celebrity and suites are because some guests feel they have 'lost' something for the suite system to come into play (Michael's Club, Luminae off the MDR).

Add Aqua class- Blu

Concierge Class - Admission to MDR on embarkation day.

Celebrity is fast approaching a segregated ship, if not a class system.

I love Virgin Business Class for International flights! I think they have to be number one in airlines Business Class!

by far no: you may have a look to the new QR in A350 or EK im A380... :)

So true! I have seen so many post their dislike of the suite "class system" but think nothing of flying business or first class and making use of a hotel's executive lounge.

IMHO it makes more sense to pay for an upgrade on a cruise of a few weeks than for flight of a few hours or a hotel stay of a few days. Our spending priorities are cruise, then hotels, then flights.

We do likewise.:D

It is all about choices...we like a bigger room, balcony, in suite bar set up...so we are happy to pay more....Those who see their cabin as a place just to sleep pay less.

Perhaps, as one would expect the new ships to be suite ready it will be less of an issue.

You may be right, lots of people disliked Michael's club going to suite only however the room was under utilised and as such they turned it into something else. If the suite guests patronage fades, it will evolve again.

Interestingly enough, many on this board seem to be taking issue with kitty9's post and interpreting it their own way, but I can assure you that kitty9 did not have steerage-class accommodations on the X cruise we were on two years ago, so I don't think she is speaking as one who has sour grapes towards those who can afford upscale accommodations. She graciously let us view her fabulous suite (forget the category name, but the one with the grand piano and the spa tub on deck, and the bathroom that was bigger than two of our cabins put together. Essentially, it was the biggest suite on the ship [emoji33]) on our cabin crawl, so I highly doubt that she is against suite people getting their special perks

Sounds like a penthouse suite, they are very nice.:D

Add Aqua class- Blu

Concierge Class - Admission to MDR on embarkation day.

Celebrity is fast approaching a segregated ship, if not a class system.

Nearly every cruise line has a similar system, most also have a loyalty program that again provides extra perks or segregated areas for members to meet.