Diet Coke

Ashiepooh

We sailed on the Getaway on 7/17, two days after the new beverage policy went into effect. I only drink Diet Coke as my soda/caffeine choice. Was not looking forward to being "deprived" until our first port day. Fortunately while NCL contracts with Pepsi, the Port of Miami does not. In the boarding area is a Coke machine. We bought a few bottles and put them in our backpack. Since we had already been through the screening process we were able to get them on without a problem. This may be an option for the other die hard Coke drinkers.

Thanks for the tip. Did the machine carry bottled water too?

We sailed on the Getaway on 7/17, two days after the new beverage policy went into effect. I only drink Diet Coke as my soda/caffeine choice. Was not looking forward to being "deprived" until our first port day. Fortunately while NCL contracts with Pepsi, the Port of Miami does not. In the boarding area is a Coke machine. We bought a few bottles and put them in our backpack. Since we had already been through the screening process we were able to get them on without a problem. This may be an option for the other die hard Coke drinkers.

Did you happen to notice if there was caffeine free diet coke in the machine?

I'll have to make sure I have a almost empty carry on with me, did you have to wait in line?

My checked suitcase was deposited to luggage handlers , like with all previous cruises, prior to check in .

They arrived safely along with the couple of diet coke cans that were inside . ;)

I like the small 12oz bottles I plan on putting about 3 in each of my 3 checked suitcases. Most likely will put them in zip lock bags and then inside DH's shoes or mixed in with cosmetics.:o Geez I might have to pack him more shoes. The Pringles can sounds like a good idea I'll have to check it out.

Edited by Lorey2007

We saw Coke Zero and I believe Barq's rootbeer. I don't remember seeing Dr. Pepper and not sure about water. There may have been Dasani but couldn't swear by it. We were focused on the Diet Coke. Definitely remember orange Fanta as well. The machine does take credit cards.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this is an option in Port Canaveral?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

We saw Coke Zero and I believe Barq's rootbeer. I don't remember seeing Dr. Pepper and not sure about water. There may have been Dasani but couldn't swear by it. We were focused on the Diet Coke. Definitely remember orange Fanta as well. The machine does take credit cards.

I saw water in the machine also. But cannot tell you the brand, but seeing the machine had coke products I would assume it is Dasani.

As my Sis said above, we just walked on the ship with it and did not try to hide it. I don't think the crew cares.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!

So anarchy and piracy are socially acceptable these days are they?

NCL were probably looking at making more money out of water and soda and those clever clogs who thought it was a great idea to re-fill their water/soda bottles with booze have screwed the rest of us by giving NCL the excuse to move to ban all the rest of us bringing our drinks on board - thanks for that.

Maybe it is time to try a different drink for a few days. Perhaps you will enjoy it?

I am a Diet Coke with caffeine, Diet Doctor Pepper with caffeine addict who doesn't do Pepsi products, alcohol, coffee, or tea. I do like orange juice. I don't like the Coca Cola Light product either. To survive the cruise, I was planning to bring some caffeine pills to drink with tap water, so I could take one if I get a caffeine headache. A few diet sodas would be heavenly. Thanks for the tip! // Not being able to drink Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper for a week is something that I'm not looking forward to in regard to the cruise. // I'll still go on the cruise though to spend some quality time with other family members who want to go and picked out an NCL cruise on the Escape. This does, though, put a big damper on the cruise for me. Pretty pathetic on my part. ::( // I like land vacations better where I can get whatever I want and not be a captive prisoner on a ship. I do realize that the cruise will be very nice, have great food and entertainment, and should be fun. But my personality is such that a cruise is really not a great fit for me and policies like this make it worse.

Your post makes me feel a little better about my thoughts about missing the only diet soda that I drink and feel better that I'm not the only one.

• 2 months later...

I know I am responding to an old thread but wanted to share that when we were at the Port of Miami in late November2016 the vending machine was

still there selling coke products and people were definitely buying.

Don't know if they drank it waiting to board or were able to bring it onboard.

It is against a wall in the general boarding area upstairs before you get to the Haven waiting area.