Thoughts on the Amsterdam

summer slope

I would prefer the Amsterdam over either of the other two ships.

As co-flagship for HAL, the Amsterdam is especially lovely. She is smaller than the other two ships, yet has more sheltered outside area from which to enjoy the fabulous scenery of Alaska. Being smaller, it is easier to get from here to there quickly, without rushing.

Service, food, entertainment, and general atmosphere are similar to the larger ships, but the staff gets to know you better, more quickly, because there are just fewer people for them to get to know.

However, when it comes to Alaska, itinerary is the primary consideration. Pick the route first, then take a look at the ships doing that route.

Good morning,

We've been on the Amsterdam 3 times and the Westerdam twice with our third time coming up summer 2016. The Amsterdam, hands down, is our favorite ship.

It is smaller which is a huge selling point for us. The atmosphere is not as busy and there is always somewhere to get away from the crowds and have a space to yourself. We've done the two-week itinerary 3 times and loved that as well.

That being said we did the Westerdam last year and enjoyed it as well. It fit our travel times. It is larger and there are more people but still feels spacious and roomy.

Both ships are well-maintained (IMO) and have great crews. If you are trying to decided it probably should come down to itinerary and your own feelings about ship size. I looked and the Amsterdam will be doing the 2 week out of Seattle in 2017 and I plan to book that for us. It's a wonderful trip!

Karen

We have done several cruises on the Amsterdam including Alaska.

She is a very classy ship.

We really like her.

A couple of differences between her and the 2 ships you have sailed on -- the Pinnacle Grill is on the Promenade Deck and the 3 windows that she has look out into the hallway. The Explorations Café is on the Upper Promenade Deck.

The Amsterdam is a wonderful ship and well maintained as she does the world cruise every year! Love the max of about 1200 passengers but agree with others you should pick the itinerary and then sail the ship that does it as a fairly port intensive cruise so not that much time on the ship.

If you mean the 14 day with all different ports in Alaska, that will be the Maasdam.

The cruise is in July, 2017. Only ship listed is the Amsterdam.

Ah, OK. During summer of 2016, the Maasdam will be sailing the 14 night itinerary, round-trip Seattle, with Monday departures. In 2017, it does appear to be the Amsterdam scheduled for that itinerary, with Sunday departures.

In the past, depending on the year, the Amsterdam or the Statendam have been assigned to that itinerary, as I recall.

My 2 favorite ships (Westerdam and Zuiderdam) are not doing Alaska cruises in 2017. What are your thoughts on the Amsterdam and how does it compare to my favorites?

Have you sailed on a HAL S-class or R-class ship, and if so, what did you not like about them compared to Westerdam and Zuiderdam? That information might help others give you advise on the R-class Amsterdam. Otherwise, we would need to guess and/or tell you what we prefer about a given ship based on our preferences vs. your stated preferences. :)

I would prefer the Amsterdam over either of the other two ships.

As co-flagship for HAL, the Amsterdam is especially lovely. She is smaller than the other two ships, yet has more sheltered outside area from which to enjoy the fabulous scenery of Alaska. Being smaller, it is easier to get from here to there quickly, without rushing.

Service, food, entertainment, and general atmosphere are similar to the larger ships, but the staff gets to know you better, more quickly, because there are just fewer people for them to get to know.

However, when it comes to Alaska, itinerary is the primary consideration. Pick the route first, then take a look at the ships doing that route.

Agree. Our 2nd Alaskan cruise was aboard Amsterdam for 2 glorious weeks. We loved the ship. If you pick her itinerary, make certain to be in the Atrium at 3 p.m. as the clock "does its thing." Very entertaining.

Agree. Our 2nd Alaskan cruise was aboard Amsterdam for 2 glorious weeks. We loved the ship. If you pick her itinerary, make certain to be in the Atrium at 3 p.m. as the clock "does its thing." Very entertaining.
Thank you for this tidbit. Made a note and put it in the cruise file.

Love the Amsterdam - beautiful smaller ship, easy to get around, and lots of nooks and crannies to tuck yourself away to enjoy the amazing Alaska scenery. I've sailed the 14 day Alaska itinerary three times on the Amsterdam - so she feels like 'home' to me!

Be sure to check out the 'secret' aft deck on the Navigation Deck. Just one flight up to the Lido and Seaview Bar, we always seemed to have that secret deck to ourselves - like having a huge balcony without the cost! We stayed in cabin 7056 (an oceanview) and adored the easy access to that aft deck - just five steps out our cabin door and we had the beautiful wake views all to ourselves.

The Alaskan itinerary ought to be one's first consideration. And, as far as I am concerned, an itinerary that includes Hubbard Glacier is the one I would prefer.

The Amsterdam is a lovely ship with a Dining Room that has a very colorful glass ceiling that is different from the other ships.

In comparison to the Vista and Signature Class vessels, its only drawback for me is the lack of a Hydrotherapy Pool in the Greenhouse Spa. The hot tub in the Thermal Suite just isn't what I prefer. Would I not book the ship because of this? No. But, for me, it would be a factor to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to check out the 'secret' aft deck on the Navigation Deck. Just one flight up to the Lido and Seaview Bar, we always seemed to have that secret deck to ourselves - like having a huge balcony without the cost! We stayed in cabin 7056 (an oceanview) and adored the easy access to that aft deck - just five steps out our cabin door and we had the beautiful wake views all to ourselves.

Were you happy with this cabin? It is hard to find any information about the actual cabin, everyone just talks about the deck.

Have you tried Google by searching HAL Amsterdam and cabin #? Amsterdam is my first HAL ship and still my FAV. I loved the decor and the size. We like walking around the ports and I don't need to do long walks on a ship. I tend to be at one end of the ship and need to be at the other--like in Crows nest and want to go to tea! I guess my feet are telling me I don't need those small nibbles at the 4 p.m. tea!!:)

colbe - YES, we adored that cabin (7056) on the Amsterdam and would book it again in a heartbeat. Some don't like it because of its somewhat odd configuration but it was not a problem for us at all. When you walk into the cabin, the desk and closet area is to the right with the bathroom on the left and then a small alcove on the left behind the bathroom where the love seat is sort tucked back in. The bed 'headboard' is against the back wall of the cabin, leaving a walkway between the side of the bed and the window overlooking that 'secret deck.' (I hope that description makes sense, if not check the photos on the HALfacts site to see for yourself).

We found that there was plenty of storage for our 14 night cruise to AK, (though note that we'd packed light - just one week's worth of clothing and took full advantage of the Unlimited Laundry service package offered by HAL. At $99 per cabin for two weeks, it was too good to pass up!)

We found it an extremely quiet location and very little foot traffic in our hallway leading out to the aft deck - there are only suites and a couple of inside cabins on the Navigation deck. We enjoyed the wake views from our generously sized window and of course, from the secret deck just five steps out our door. We'd highly recommend this cabin - particularly for an Alaskan cruise. Best bang for your buck without paying top dollar for a balcony cabin due to the quick and easy access to that public deck on the aft.;)