Global Entry back at the cruise terminal?

evandbob

Is there a separate line at US Customs for those with Global Entry approval?

I usually walk off my carryon or go with the platinums when debarking, so the lines at Customs aren't really long then. However, I just got my Global Entry application accepted, and then realized I wasn't sure how it works in the cruise terminals.

According to most of the posts that I have read over the past year, Global Entry is not set up in Cruise Terminals. Basically because of the very few people who have it. And probably since the cruises are mostly loop cruises.

Possibly in the Future you might see them in New York at the Cruise Terminal, but for other ports, probably not in the foreseeable future.

According to most of the posts that I have read over the past year, Global Entry is not set up in Cruise Terminals. Basically because of the very few people who have it. And probably since the cruises are mostly loop cruises.

Possibly in the Future you might see them in New York at the Cruise Terminal, but for other ports, probably not in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your reply. When I searched CC for "Global Entry", the posts that came up were from 2012 and 2013.

I hadn't recalled any kiosks in the cruise terminals, but I've seen a few cruisers, not many, flash something at the guides in the terminal and they went right through Customs.

As I said, I usually disembark with the carryoffs, so the lines then aren't long anyway.

It's been a year since I've been on a cruise, but I've never seen them at cruise ports. That said, it has never been an issue because we've never had more than one group ahead of us in line.

You can use your Global Entry when you clear at disembarkation, but there are no express lines or kiosks, so you have to schlep in line with everyone else. I have a TWIC from Homeland Security, which requires an FBI background check every 5 years, and it doesn't do me squat at the cruise terminals, but I like to use it anyway to keep CBP on their toes.

Technically, you can use this to check in with for a closed loop cruise, but it tends to give the check-in personnel a heart attack, as it doesn't fit one of the neat boxes they have, and normally will require a supervisor to approve and teach them how to enter it.

Edited by chengkp75

• 3 months later...

I just go off Allure last Sunday, and to the side of the huge line for Passport Control was a Global Entry Sign and a guard. We walked up to the guard and she said there are no machines yet, but if we had our Global Entry CARD...yes the card, not the passport because that would be in addition to the card, you could go through the side entrance and enter the line for the passport agents from the front instead of the back, which probably saved us 45 minutes. We still had the Passport checked the old fashion way but were thrilled to have a quicker exit. I did not spend time getting the whole scoop but know that to the right of the main line is a global entry line only but you need that Global Entry Card, not just a passport since the machines are not installed. Maybe it is a start ???

I just go off Allure last Sunday, and to the side of the huge line for Passport Control was a Global Entry Sign and a guard. We walked up to the guard and she said there are no machines yet, but if we had our Global Entry CARD...yes the card, not the passport

Is this the WHTI card? I was about to say I don't remember getting a card from Global Entry, but now that I think about it I think I did...

Is this the WHTI card? I was about to say I don't remember getting a card from Global Entry, but now that I think about it I think I did...

If you went through the necessary online sign-up followed by the face to face interview and finger printing at a designated airport to qualify for Global Entry, you would most likely remember it. I believe that WHTI is simply the procedure which permits US citizens to sail on closed loop cruises without a passport.

Yes, within a week or two of your interview you receive in the mail a global entry card which you only would use at ports of call (when available) and at the border. It is not used when arriving by plane.

Keith

Is there a separate line at US Customs for those with Global Entry approval?

I usually walk off my carryon or go with the platinums when debarking, so the lines at Customs aren't really long then. However, I just got my Global Entry application accepted, and then realized I wasn't sure how it works in the cruise terminals.

It now exists at the terminals in Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). We used the separate Global Entry Line on Nov 3 (Regal Princess) to avoid the longer queue for Passport Control. They currently do not have a Global Entry Kiosk (like at the airports) but rather you are still seen by a CBP agent who quickly checks your Passport. We think the shorter line probably saved us about 10 minutes getting through the terminal...but this would vary with the lines at the time you debark.

Hank

It now exists at the terminals in Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). We used the separate Global Entry Line on Nov 3 (Regal Princess) to avoid the longer queue for Passport Control. They currently do not have a Global Entry Kiosk (like at the airports) but rather you are still seen by a CBP agent who quickly checks your Passport. We think the shorter line probably saved us about 10 minutes getting through the terminal...but this would vary with the lines at the time you debark.

Hank

Hank, glad to hear this. Someone posted yesterday on other threads and seemed to say there was not another line. Do you show them that card that we were given with Global Entry?

Keith

Hank, glad to hear this. Someone posted yesterday on other threads and seemed to say there was not another line. Do you show them that card that we were given with Global Entry?

Keith

Hank, not sure if you saw my question but if you can provided feedback that would be appreciated.

Keith

Keith

Last month in terminal 2 (Princess) at Port Everglades the signage was very clear that the first two CPB counters on the right (only one was staffed) were for Global Entry. While I watched from the 'regular line' (I plan on getting Global Entry before our next cruise :D) a steady stream of passengers were processed quickly (a line never formed) but I couldn't tell if they had to show their cards. I would bring it just to be prepared.

• 4 months later...
We returned April 3 to Terminal J on Oceania Riviera. There was no Global Entry, just two CBP officers and 600 peeved passengers.

There are multiple threads with the same question, including this more recent one in which I'll post the same answer.

Port Everglades has global entry; Port of Miami has never had it and I haven't heard of any plans for it.

Got off the Equinox yesterday at FLL at 7:45 ( among the first to walk-off with luggage). Global Entry was not yet open. The person directing us said that they weren't open because the regular lines were moving quickly. It took us about 15 minutes in line to get through and out the door.

We were at the gate by 8:35. So we didn't use the Global Entry, but were really glad we had the TSA pre check, as the regular security line was huge at FLL.

Anyone sailing out of San Diego see if GE kiosks are there yet?

I imagine that is unlikely since half of the more heavily used FL terminals don't have any support for GE, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.