Aurora cabins to avoid?

jonjo69

Hi guys,

After a 2014 Oriana Caribbean Crimbo, I'm looking at doing it all again on Aurora. Budget means it's inside this time and so are there any cabins to avoid? Deck B looks good as it has only cabins above and below. Of course mid. ships if possible to avoid engine noise. I try and also avoid being too near the launderette as I've heard horror stories over flooded rooms.

Any advice most appreciated.

Jonjo

Hi guys,

After a 2014 Oriana Caribbean Crimbo, I'm looking at doing it all again on Aurora. Budget means it's inside this time and so are there any cabins to avoid? Deck B looks good as it has only cabins above and below. Of course mid. ships if possible to avoid engine noise.

Any advice most appreciated.

Jonjo

I read some advice before booking our first cruise last year... avoid being under the gym. So on Aurora on B deck you may wish to avoid those cabins? Not sure if it affects Aurora but I read people heard weights, etc, being dropped to the ground as loud thumps when they were under the weights section of gyms!

We were on B deck (but a balcony) last year, and loved the location. We were just fwd of mid section.

I read some advice before booking our first cruise last year... avoid being under the gym. So on Aurora on B deck you may wish to avoid those cabins? Not sure if it affects Aurora but I read people heard weights, etc, being dropped to the ground as loud thumps when they were under the weights section of gyms!

We were on B deck (but a balcony) last year, and loved the location. We were just fwd of mid section.

Thanks for the advice. All the cabins free at present are indeed under that area. I just thought that at night no one would be in there.

• 5 months later...

We had a balcony cabin on c deck and were disturbed very early in the morning by the davits for the tenders being extended. Even when it wasn't a tender port, the tender below us was used for practice search and rescue, or moved for cleaning. I wouldn't book a cabin on c deck above the tenders again.

We had a balcony cabin on c deck and were disturbed very early in the morning by the davits for the tenders being extended. Even when it wasn't a tender port, the tender below us was used for practice search and rescue, or moved for cleaning. I wouldn't book a cabin on c deck above the tenders again.

Can you recall which cabin you were in? We have two Aurora cruises booked with balconies on C deck. I can live with being woken on a port day (as I like to see the sail in anyway) but would find it irritating on a sea day. As C deck has the 2nd highest priced cabins (after B deck) I'd be dissaponted if they were all affected by the problems you describe.

Thanks for the advice. All the cabins free at present are indeed under that area. I just thought that at night no one would be in there.

They won't. The gym opens from 8 in the morning (very frustrating for those who like a workout before breakfast!) until 8 or 9 at night. So no weights dropped at unsocial hours.

They won't. The gym opens from 8 in the morning (very frustrating for those who like a workout before breakfast!) until 8 or 9 at night. So no weights dropped at unsocial hours.

8 in the morning is a VERY unsocial hour to me, especially on holiday :'):'):')

We were on Aurora last December when my husband decided he needed to visit the gym each morning before breakfast. By my memory he went to the gym at 7am - I may be wrong but I seem to remember thinking, why on earth does he want to get up that early. When my husband returns I will check with him. If he had gone for an hour beginning at 8am we would have been very late to breakfast and we tended to go to the main dining room for breakfast each morning and I don't remember getting there at 9am. I would certainly advise anyone not to have a cabin under the gym if it can be avoided.

Can you recall which cabin you were in? We have two Aurora cruises booked with balconies on C deck. I can live with being woken on a port day (as I like to see the sail in anyway) but would find it irritating on a sea day. As C deck has the 2nd highest priced cabins (after B deck) I'd be dissaponted if they were all affected by the problems you describe.

Don't worry, it was port days that were affecetd, but the preparations started early 6am or so. I can't remember the cabin number, but it was a cabin above the large lifeboats that are used for tenders, not the smaller ones. I doubt all cabins are affected, just those which have the davits directly below them

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

We have booked an inside on C deck midship and on the plans there is a big void above us on B deck and behind us on C deck. Does anyone know what this is?

It is the prison cells where they keep unruly passengers, stowaways and the more eccentric members of the entertainment team....Good luck....😀

We have often seen crew members appearing out of doorways in these areas, so my best bet would be crew staircases and storage areas.

Its definitely not pools, nightclubs, gyms, restaurants or a spa. 

We have stayed close to here and not seen or heard anything disturbing.

In my opinion, you have picked a fantastic spot.

Have fun,

Andy

1 hour ago, sparklemoon said:

We've booked B210 on Aurora. Near the lifts and just under the gym. Anyone stayed here?

B210 is not directly under the gym, so I am sure you will be fine.

Being at the entrance to the lift lobby you will get a lot of passing trade, but I doubt this will be an issue.

We stayed just along from there and had no issues at all.

have a great time,

Andy

Hols4

Selbourne we had C248 last month on Aurora and did get noise on the one morning of tendering at Sorento. I think any cabin towards the aft of the ship will hear the davids but it hasn't put us off booking on C deck as the rest of the time it is quite and near the centre lifts which is convenient for getting most places.I

We always book C deck mid to aft balcony on Aurora.

Edited by Hols4

57 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It is the prison cells where they keep unruly passengers, stowaways and the more eccentric members of the entertainment team....Good luck....😀

We have often seen crew members appearing out of doorways in these areas, so my best bet would be crew staircases and storage areas.

Its definitely not pools, nightclubs, gyms, restaurants or a spa. 

We have stayed close to here and not seen or heard anything disturbing.

In my opinion, you have picked a fantastic spot.

Have fun,

Andy

Great! It will be like home from home! Personally I don’t mind a little bit of noise from things like scraping chairs or restaurant acoustics, it’s the drawer slammers that arrive back to their cabin at crazy o’clock you occasionally get next door that hack me off!

3 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

Great! It will be like home from home! Personally I don’t mind a little bit of noise from things like scraping chairs or restaurant acoustics, it’s the drawer slammers that arrive back to their cabin at crazy o’clock you occasionally get next door that hack me off!

Unfortunately, you can get them anywhere on the ship.

Perhaps you should ask for a detached cabin with no neighbours...😀

Andy

Update on gym on Aurora. I've been complaining for several years about the 8am opening time. It's now open about 7, but you are asked not to use the treadmills or free weights before 8am . People do though. So perhaps avoid cabins immediately underneath; midships B deck port side.

I enjoyed workouts at 7.30 though!

I think you will be fine. I have had inside on C deck several times. C201 has been mostly lovely and quiet - altho on the Northern lights cruise in March 2018 there was some sort of equipment that was stored above on B deck that was clonking around in the high seas. All you can do is look at what is above and below and hope for quiet neighbours. Aurora is a great ship - so enjoy!

15 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

Much as we love Aurora, you hear every drawer being opened and closed in your neighbours cabin. Drives me nuts. On our last cruise, the people one side of us opened and closed every single drawer in their cabin every time they needed anything. It was a 21 night cruise and even by the end they still hadn’t remembered what was in each drawer, so we endured the routine with great frequency. 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, Selbourne said:

Much as we love Aurora, you hear every drawer being opened and closed in your neighbours cabin. Drives me nuts. On our last cruise, the people one side of us opened and closed every single drawer in their cabin every time they needed anything. It was a 21 night cruise and even by the end they still hadn’t remembered what was in each drawer, so we endured the routine with great frequency. 

I think we must have had the same neighbours last time we were on Aurora! 

• Like 1

The D deck cabins are excellent value and very convenient, being a short walk to the atrium.  We prefer the starboard side to the port side as you avoid going through the door into Raffles.  Avoid D150, it's by a crew entrance and showers/toilet.

We also liked the larger inside cabins up on the port side of B deck, B128, B122 etc.  The only issue with these is that they have interconnecting doors which hinders sound proofing.  These cabins are nice with a full sized sofa.