Veendam Trip 4/28- 5/7/16

I will be embarking on the Veendam this Thursday and am very excited. This cruise I'm flying solo (a gift to myself for my 51st birthday on May 3). My family and I did a similar itinerary last August on Maasdam- so I'm familiar with Holland America and the New England/ Canadian ports, but this time it's a 9-day instead of a 7-day with Gaspe and Saguenay Canada thrown into the mix (both new to me).

I understand that Veendam was in drydock and I'll let you know how it looks after I board in Boston on 4/28 and download pictures upon my return.

I'm booked into room H381 (which is a connecting room unfortunately) and I hope there isn't noise between the staterooms. I was originally booked in an inside guarantee but the price dropped and they upgraded me for free to an outside- so I'm not going to complain.

I'm booked into room H381 (which is a connecting room unfortunately) and I hope there isn't noise between the staterooms.
We've had Ryndam 394 and Maasdam 404, both of which are connecting cabins. On the Maasdam we had small kids next door that we could hear, but fortunately they went to bed pretty early each night. Good luck!

I will be embarking on the Veendam this Thursday and am very excited. This cruise I'm flying solo (a gift to myself for my 51st birthday on May 3). My family and I did a similar itinerary last August on Maasdam- so I'm familiar with Holland America and the New England/ Canadian ports, but this time it's a 9-day instead of a 7-day with Gaspe and Saguenay Canada thrown into the mix (both new to me).

I understand that Veendam was in drydock and I'll let you know how it looks after I board in Boston on 4/28 and download pictures upon my return.

I'm booked into room H381 (which is a connecting room unfortunately) and I hope there isn't noise between the staterooms. I was originally booked in an inside guarantee but the price dropped and they upgraded me for free to an outside- so I'm not going to complain.

Please come by the Meet & Greet in the Crows Nest, port side, after your day in Bar Harbour at 4pm

Hello there. DH and I will also be boarding the Veendam on Thursday for this same cruise. We have done 6 cruises so far, all to Bermuda. This will be our first non-Bermuda cruise. We are looking forward to this cruise because it will be something different and like you we saw that it is 9 nights. Usually we do 7 night cruises, so we are excited about having 2 "extra" nights onboard. Mostly we are looking forward to lots of relaxation on the ship (Thermal Spa here we come! LOL) and puttering around some awesome Canadian ports. Also good for you booking a trip for yourself for your Birthday. Maybe one day I will get brave and do the same. Cheers!

Lorie

Can you advise who are the Captain, CD, Location Guide, and Piano Bar player?

Have a wonderful cruise. I think that's a great itinerary (and good luck with the temporary terminal in Montreal).

Thanks

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Hello there. DH and I will also be boarding the Veendam on Thursday for this same cruise. We have done 6 cruises so far, all to Bermuda. This will be our first non-Bermuda cruise. We are looking forward to this cruise because it will be something different and like you we saw that it is 9 nights. Usually we do 7 night cruises, so we are excited about having 2 "extra" nights onboard. Mostly we are looking forward to lots of relaxation on the ship (Thermal Spa here we come! LOL) and puttering around some awesome Canadian ports. Also good for you booking a trip for yourself for your Birthday. Maybe one day I will get brave and do the same. Cheers!

Lorie

Welcome aboard!

Have a wonderful cruise. I think that's a great itinerary (and good luck with the temporary terminal in Montreal).

Thanks

Roy

I will answer these questions when I get aboard the ship. Hopefully the port won't be chaotic in Montreal since there should only be one ship there that day.

When you are in the Saguenay you will probably tarry at Trinity Bay and I'll suggest you might want to be out on deck. I haven't yet done this itinerary with HAL but there are a couple of traditions that I think are pretty universal. There's a special statue there where it's traditional to pause and play Ave Marie in the shadow of the monument, very moving. Ships I have been on also have headed into the bay where the horns produce awesome echoes. Here's a bit of video from my last visit on the Crystal Symphony:

Roy

Thanks

Roy

I am aboard now.

Captain is Noel O'Driscoll

GRM is Rencel Recto

Piano Bar is Jeff the Piano Man

Location Guide is Jeremy

Show Host is Joel

CD is Sarah

Adagio is a Duo

There is a HALCATs with Karen and a Neptunes

any other questions I will try to answer

Thanks

Roy

Just got off Veendam 04/24/16.

Captain Noel O'Driscoll; very young and funny

Hotel Manager Bert van Mackelenberg; very nice and in good condition. Past summer he hiked 50 miles in wooden shoes in Death Valley where temp was +120 degrees

Cruise Director Sarah

Piano Player Jeff

Ship in good condition after drydock with new carpet and furniture.

But still had daily mechanical problems

When you are in the Saguenay you will probably tarry at Trinity Bay and I'll suggest you might want to be out on deck. I haven't yet done this itinerary with HAL but there are a couple of traditions that I think are pretty universal. There's a special statue there where it's traditional to pause and play Ave Marie in the shadow of the monument, very moving. Ships I have been on also have headed into the bay where the horns produce awesome echoes. Here's a bit of video from my last visit on the Crystal Symphony:

Roy

Thanks for sharing. I do plan to get up early to take in the scenery when we sail up to Saguenay.

Just got off Veendam 04/24/16.

Captain Noel O'Driscoll; very young and funny

Hotel Manager Bert van Mackelenberg; very nice and in good condition. Past summer he hiked 50 miles in wooden shoes in Death Valley where temp was +120 degrees

Cruise Director Sarah

Piano Player Jeff

Ship in good condition after drydock with new carpet and furniture.

But still had daily mechanical problems

Why hike Death Valley in wooden shoes?

Have a nice cruise. After a mild winter here in Québec, spring has been very chilly. Perhaps you already know this, but in Gaspé to enjoy the sights of the gannets on Bonaventure Island you will need many layers, a good windbraker with a hood and gloves.

Bienvenue-Welcome

I am aboard now.

Captain is Noel O'Driscoll

GRM is Rencel Recto

Piano Bar is Jeff the Piano Man

Location Guide is Jeremy

Show Host is Joel

CD is Sarah

Adagio is a Duo

There is a HALCATs with Karen and a Neptunes

any other questions I will try to answer

Okay Rich, we will be onboard in two days but I'm dying to know if the TV's and DVD players were replaced with the new TV system on the Veendam. Please and thank you. :)

Edited by galensgrl

Thank you Jolie_Cruiser. We live in Maine, so we were assuming the weather where you are would be much like the weather where we are, but it seems it's a little warmer here in Maine. We've been getting 55, 60 and 70 degree Farenheit days, almost like early Summer. Except for today, when it's 32 degrees and snowing. On April 26th. We've had a weird mild Winter and snowy Spring. We are looking for beautiful nature views in Gaspe, and now we know to bring the extra warm clothes. Cheers!

Have a nice cruise. After a mild winter here in Québec, spring has been very chilly. Perhaps you already know this, but in Gaspé to enjoy the sights of the gannets on Bonaventure Island you will need many layers, a good windbraker with a hood and gloves.

Bienvenue-Welcome

We board in Montreal. How is the St. Lawrence River this year? Five years ago when we did this cruise, the water was so high, the Maasdam could not get to Montreal and we were bussed to Quebec City to board. I would really like to sail out of Montreal on the Veendam.

Okay Rich, we will be onboard in two days but I'm dying to know if the TV's and DVD players were replaced with the new TV system on the Veendam. Please and thank you. :)

Unfortunately, the old TV and DVD combination is still here, and no indication of any ability to check you statement on a laptop or tablet. The kiosk is present in the lobby, but has not worked yet.

Rich

Hi I just got off the Veendam last Sunday April 24th. The ship still have some plumbing problems. Some cabins were flooded,and a water pipe broke and the ship had no water for a couple of hours.

You should have a great time traveling solo. Attend some of the solo events. If you like piano bars,Jeff from Toronto is great! He knows a long of songs and has stories of the songs and artists to go with. Lots of trivia if you like that. Burgers and hots dogs at the dive in diner are great. Note that dinner portions are small,so go ahead and order 2 entrees if you want to. If you or any others going on the Veendam I will try to answer them. Kendra

We board in Montreal. How is the St. Lawrence River this year? Five years ago when we did this cruise, the water was so high, the Maasdam could not get to Montreal and we were bussed to Quebec City to board. I would really like to sail out of Montreal on the Veendam.

I am no maritime expert but the other day I took a walk to the port and actually I thought the water level looked quite low. Lower than what I have seen some summers. So I would not worry.

Have a fabulous cruise.

Unfortunately, the old TV and DVD combination is still here, and no indication of any ability to check you statement on a laptop or tablet. The kiosk is present in the lobby, but has not worked yet.

Rich

It has worked a grand total of once for us, Rich ;)