Will we miss our suite?

DandDM

Hi All. I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but hoping you will go at it again!

Recently started looking for a Cuba cruise and after being very disappointed in the offerings from the cruise lines we have sailed with in the past, found fantastic itineraries on the Journey. Since then have been reading through this board and doing other research and am quite impressed with what I've learned about Azamara.

That said, we have been cruising over the last few years almost exclusively in suites, and pricing the Azamara offerings, we would be looking to book a veranda. Frankly, we have been spoiled with the suite life style with the large cabins, preferred boarding and lines, special breakfast/lunch venues, reserved seating at the pool and shows, etc.

So my questions is - will we miss those perks? With everything I've read about Azamara, sounds like the whole experience might exceed what we've seen in the past as suite guests on other lines. So maybe nothing to worry about?

Cheers,

On Azamara there are no special venues, reserved seats etc for suites. Being a smaller ship there is no need.

Apart from the larger room anyone on Azamara can enjoy the perks a suite has for free - I can pay for the special restaurant and I can buy a pass to sit on the quieter front decks.

We exclusively sailed in suites on Azamara until this year, now it's a mixture because of cost. We took a decision to cruise more often and so suites were out of price on some trips.

Our most recent trip was verandah topped up by buying extras we wanted. We spent far less than the suite price and did not notice the smaller room after the first 24 hours.

The only thing you cannot buy is access to the dinner called best of the best - but not all suite guests get that anyway it's only for the Club World and Club Ocean guests.

Once you go out of your room although some suite guests might like to think they are treated special the reality is everyone is treated as special.

Absolutely agree with Ann. The great thing about Azamara is everyone is treated the same. We are in a suite for this cruise and we are presently onboard Quest having a great time.

Apart from the extra space of course, we don't notice any real differences between the suite and the balcony cabin we usually book. Yes speciality dining is included in a suite but anyone can easily book the dining packages which are good value.

Thanks for the info; Azamara is sounding more wonderful every day!

To clarify my question a little bit: for the dollars we would spend for the veranda on Azamara on the itinerary we are looking at, we could get a top level suite on Royal or Norwegian. So my concern is if we would feel like we were missing out on all those perks if we book with Azamara.

Cheers,

To clarify my question a little bit: for the dollars we would spend for the veranda on Azamara on the itinerary we are looking at, we could get a top level suite on Royal or Norwegian. So my concern is if we would feel like we were missing out on all those perks if we book with Azamara.

Cheers,

As others have mentioned, some of the perks you are accustomed to (reserved seating at pool/shows, dedicated Suite venues) do not exist on Azamara, so you wouldn't have those even if you booked a suite. Every passenger is treated very well, regardless of stateroom.

Having taken only one Azamara cruise (in a Club Continent Suite, which was lovely), I would think you could miss having a larger stateroom and a better bathroom. I suggest you read Chucktown Steve's current thread, as he describes many aspects of his cruise experience (and his stateroom) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528351

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!

Cheers,

Shower is very small in balcony cabin.

Cheers,

To me it all comes down to the itinerary. If Azamara offers the better, then downgrade and go with them. We first cruise in a Sky (now Club Continent) Suite and then downgraded to a balcony for our next cruise. The only real loss was that we had to fetch our own cappuccinos in the morning instead of having a butler bring it to us (something you wouldn't get on Empress of the Seas no matter what your accommodations).

The crew on Azamara are amazing and walk through fire to make sure that their guests are having a wonderful vacation. The crew on RCI would like to do that, but they are constrained by having many more passengers and a smaller budget. Also, Empress of the Seas' cabins aren't all that - we sailed on her when she was Nordic Empress. Since it was our honeymoon, we didn't mind having a cabin (OV) where we had to step outside to change our minds. The suite perks are minimal on any RCI ships other than Quantum or Oasis class - a bigger cabin, nicer decor and a private spot for breakfast and cocktails. Not worth sacrificing a superior itinerary, IMO.

We have a mix of suites and veranda cabins coming up on Azamara. Alas, I'm finding that even the verandas are being priced out of our cruising budget, so unless there's a special sale, I don't see us booking many more cruises on them. Pity.:loudcry:

? Could someone explain this to me- please? There are areas on an Azamara ship you have to buy a pass to use?

There is a terrace on Deck 9, forward of the spa. It contains a thalassotherapy pool and some deck chairs/cabana. Suite guests have access to this area, non suite guests can purchase a pass. I believe the number of passes for sale are limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a terrace on Deck 9, forward of the spa. It contains a thalassotherapy pool and some deck chairs/cabana. Suite guests have access to this area, non suite guests can purchase a pass. I believe the number of passes for sale are limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's quite a small area, there's still more than enough room for everyone on the rest of the open decks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To me it all comes down to the itinerary. If Azamara offers the better, then downgrade and go with them. We first cruise in a Sky (now Club Continent) Suite and then downgraded to a balcony for our next cruise. The only real loss was that we had to fetch our own cappuccinos in the morning instead of having a butler bring it to us (something you wouldn't get on Empress of the Seas no matter what your accommodations).

The crew on Azamara are amazing and walk through fire to make sure that their guests are having a wonderful vacation. The crew on RCI would like to do that, but they are constrained by having many more passengers and a smaller budget. Also, Empress of the Seas' cabins aren't all that - we sailed on her when she was Nordic Empress. Since it was our honeymoon, we didn't mind having a cabin (OV) where we had to step outside to change our minds. The suite perks are minimal on any RCI ships other than Quantum or Oasis class - a bigger cabin, nicer decor and a private spot for breakfast and cocktails. Not worth sacrificing a superior itinerary, IMO.

We have a mix of suites and veranda cabins coming up on Azamara. Alas, I'm finding that even the verandas are being priced out of our cruising budget, so unless there's a special sale, I don't see us booking many more cruises on them. Pity.:loudcry:

Thanks, this is very helpful! You are correct about the itineraries.

Azamara was the first cruise we ever took...started cruising later in life.

We've sailed Celebrity several times and have had the aft balconies right on the stern with very large balconies on M class and have had a few oversized on S class and we've done Aqua several times. I'd sail Azamara any time over Celebrity if it were the same itinerary. We've chosen Celebrity because Azamara didn't offer the itineraries we wanted. The staff that most resembled Azamara was on the Summit. The other cruises, there was no comparison.

Don't miss an opportunity to try Azamara....I don't think you'll regret it.

Azamara was the first cruise we ever took...started cruising later in life.

We've sailed Celebrity several times and have had the aft balconies right on the stern with very large balconies on M class and have had a few oversized on S class and we've done Aqua several times. I'd sail Azamara any time over Celebrity if it were the same itinerary. We've chosen Celebrity because Azamara didn't offer the itineraries we wanted. The staff that most resembled Azamara was on the Summit. The other cruises, there was no comparison.

Don't miss an opportunity to try Azamara....I don't think you'll regret it.

Cool, thanks. I think we are sold on Azamara for our Cuba trip, now to figure out the right one!

Cheers,

Pick one with all three ports. Been there and so much to see and do.

We've started to research Havana but don't know anything yet on the other two. Promise to search for reviews or other posts, but if you could share your thoughts on the ports, would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one little thing I would add to the replies to the original post regards embarking and disembarking. On a big ship on a mass market line, it helps to have the suite associated perk of expedited boarding and leaving. On AZ we have found that because of the smaller ship size and the high level of organization, one just walks on board (unless you arrive early and prior to boarding time). And leaving for ports or the end of the cruise is equally easy. Not so on a big mass market ship like Princess, Cunard, or Celebrity.

We've started to research Havana but don't know anything yet on the other two. Promise to search for reviews or other posts, but if you could share your thoughts on the ports, would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

somethings could change due to trump. i did a land tour in jan and then by ship to havnan. also saw the other ports. havana-you walk around Hemingways house and look in windows you do not go in. I enjoyed it but flt something was missing. i toured the lovley building that the ballet is in -very well kept up but as always no TP. There a hotel in town -name i forgot-but it s very pink. Hemmingway lived here for years. the piano bar id nice and there are two walls of his pictures. I went thru two churches and one temple. i might think about a Jewish tour. I also went to a show on my own at night. much much cheaper than the ships tour as jsut as good.

Santigo de Cuba. one day not enough .If you go to castro's grave-think wealth-Russian Tzars vs the people, It home why al lthe Cuban Americans left. I know we saw lots of history. we had to have guides in museums as nothng in English.

Food was very good or very bad. not much middle ground. the rum and cokes are sweets .they do not have what we think of coke. go with straight rum any year. bring tissues. bathrooms could have soap or not. but i would not use the towel.

the 3d [port we drove thru so i am guessing lunch.

the art work in general was great. paintings to pottery to leather.

Do spend money on a classic car ride. ship over charges. also bring tons of cash. you can get local money .you need it to eat lunch or dinner out on your own. i manged to spend it so it is doable.

Cheers,

If you usually sail in a suite, just to say you should manage your expectations as far as space goes. How much importance you place on this space really depends on you. The ships go to ports and/or areas of ports the larger ships can't. This makes it more special. The atmosphere onboard Azamara and care given to all the guests, regardless of their cabin sets it apart for me. The crew treat you well because they enjoy treating you well, not because they have to. It shows. Enjoy your planning!

Phil

The one little thing I would add to the replies to the original post regards embarking and disembarking. On a big ship on a mass market line, it helps to have the suite associated perk of expedited boarding and leaving. On AZ we have found that because of the smaller ship size and the high level of organization, one just walks on board (unless you arrive early and prior to boarding time). And leaving for ports or the end of the cruise is equally easy. Not so on a big mass market ship like Princess, Cunard, or Celebrity.

Good to know! Was worried about that as priority boarding and tenders can make a huge difference on the megaships.

thanks

somethings could change due to trump. i did a land tour in jan and then by ship to havnan. also saw the other ports. havana-you walk around Hemingways house and look in windows you do not go in. I enjoyed it but flt something was missing. i toured the lovley building that the ballet is in -very well kept up but as always no TP. There a hotel in town -name i forgot-but it s very pink. Hemmingway lived here for years. the piano bar id nice and there are two walls of his pictures. I went thru two churches and one temple. i might think about a Jewish tour. I also went to a show on my own at night. much much cheaper than the ships tour as jsut as good.

Santigo de Cuba. one day not enough .If you go to castro's grave-think wealth-Russian Tzars vs the people, It home why al lthe Cuban Americans left. I know we saw lots of history. we had to have guides in museums as nothng in English.

Food was very good or very bad. not much middle ground. the rum and cokes are sweets .they do not have what we think of coke. go with straight rum any year. bring tissues. bathrooms could have soap or not. but i would not use the towel.

the 3d [port we drove thru so i am guessing lunch.

the art work in general was great. paintings to pottery to leather.

Do spend money on a classic car ride. ship over charges. also bring tons of cash. you can get local money .you need it to eat lunch or dinner out on your own. i manged to spend it so it is doable.

Thanks!

If you usually sail in a suite, just to say you should manage your expectations as far as space goes. How much importance you place on this space really depends on you. The ships go to ports and/or areas of ports the larger ships can't. This makes it more special. The atmosphere onboard Azamara and care given to all the guests, regardless of their cabin sets it apart for me. The crew treat you well because they enjoy treating you well, not because they have to. It shows. Enjoy your planning!

Phil

Thanks; thinking that with the long port days and few sea days, we can survive as long as we have a balcony!

Curious about the Azamara suite sizes: it seems like the Club Continent Suites might be similar to a Jr or Mini suite on other lines?