Wild Storm in Metro Vancouver and Port

Lizzie68

We had a wild ride yesterday with incredible wind and rain (Stanley Park has suffered much damage and most areas were without power for many hours because of downed trees and lines) and I couldn't help but think of the ships heading out to Alaska from Canada Place. At about the time of muster drill, there was torrential sideways rain (I guess there is a case to be made for inside muster drills;)), and around 5 pm when the ships begin to set sail, the wind was wicked. I definitely would not have wanted to be heading to Alaska yesterday, but hoping they meet much better weather on the way north. Unfortunately, Captain Mercer was already reporting stormy weather in the Gulf of Alaska two days ago. September storms have come early.

that was a horrendous storm Lizzie and I have seen pics of the uprooted trees in Stanley Park. So sad. And what a mess Vancouver is facing!

I couldn't fathom being on a cruise ship yesterday and I fear those people had a rough ride for sure. hopefully the seas smooth for them but I fear they could be in for a bumpy ride:eek:

Oh, my. Had you not posted I probably wouldn't have heard this, as it's not something that would show up on my news reports.

How awful for people to have to report to muster in that! I would be terrified for the ship sailing by Stanley Park under the bridge; it's narrow in there.

Hope the seas settled down as the ships headed north.

And I hope the residents up there came through with little damage.

Thanks for posting.

If you're interested in seeing some of the damage around Vancouver, here's a link to the weather network. Scroll down and there are a number of photos.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/photos-ten-shots-of-bcs-powerful-wind-storm-damage/56440/?cid=social_20150829_51668256&adbid=10153616792001908&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9525286907

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks for the pictures, Gerry. Certainly puts it in perspective.

Actually, it looks a little like what we had here one morning a few weeks ago, but our storm was over in about an hour. They're still cleaning up.

Hope it doesn't take as long up there.

Western Washington was not spared by Ma Nature yesterday. Was horrible here- I read at one point at least 500,000 without power. Many in our area may not get power for a week.

Some areas near the ocean saw winds over 100 MPH. I think our biggest was about 65 MPH. Was a wild ride. Because of the drought the trees have dry roots and are still in full leaf. This brought down a lot of trees- National Park Service had to close down all of Olympic National Park.

I felt for those that arrived on Westerdam yesterday and were sailing out in the afternoon. I'm guessing that when they got into the Pacific it was a wild ride. Not sure if they have the ability to stay in the inside due to Seymour Narrows tides.

Edited by frankc98376

Oh, my. Had you not posted I probably wouldn't have heard this, as it's not something that would show up on my news reports.

How awful for people to have to report to muster in that! I would be terrified for the ship sailing by Stanley Park under the bridge; it's narrow in there.

Hope the seas settled down as the ships headed north.

And I hope the residents up there came through with little damage.

Thanks for posting.

Stanley Park is farther away from the Lions Gate Bridge than you think, Ruth. No chance of a fallen tree getting anywhere near the ship. I didn't worry about the cruise ships. Worried more about the BC Ferries but there was no news report about them. We had such a long glorious summer people forget what a little wind and rain can do. I was on a balcony facing same way as the Hal ship at Canada Place. The balcony is a lot narrower than upper promenade. Only a couple of inches from the railing got wet and very little wind felt standing there. It was fascinating to watch this huge black clould open up and see the torrential rain and wind. Have seen that sudden heavy rain in Florida that lasts 10-15 minutes and they the sun comes out and everything dries up. When I drove home at 9:00 PM all the roads the dry and no sign of the rain. Lots of leaves blown off trees but fortunately no downed trees or broken branches in my neighbourhood.

Edited by solocanadian

Stanley Park is farther away from the Lions Gate Bridge than you think, Ruth. No chance of a fallen tree getting anywhere near the ship. I didn't worry about the cruise ships. Worried more about the BC Ferries but there was no news report about them. We had such a long glorious summer people forget what a little wind and rain can do. I was on a balcony facing same way as the Hal ship at Canada Place. The balcony is a lot narrower than upper promenade. Only a couple of inches from the railing got wet and very little wind felt standing there. It was fascinating to watch this huge black clould open up and see the torrential rain and wind. Have seen that sudden heavy rain in Florida that lasts 10-15 minutes and they the sun comes out and everything dries up. When I drove home at 9:00 PM all the roads the dry and no sign of the rain. Lots of leaves blown off trees but fortunately no downed trees or broken branches in my neighbourhood.

You are indeed very fortunate. Did you watch the news last night? It was hardly "a little rain and wind" LOL. We have streets here that are still impassable, due to downed trees and power lines. We were without power - along with 400,000 others - for around 8 hours.

Edited by Lizzie68

Western Washington was not spared by Ma Nature yesterday. Was horrible here- I read at one point at least 500,000 without power. Many in our area may not get power for a week.

Some areas near the ocean saw winds over 100 MPH. I think our biggest was about 65 MPH. Was a wild ride. Because of the drought the trees have dry roots and are still in full leaf. This brought down a lot of trees- National Park Service had to close down all of Olympic National Park.

I felt for those that arrived on Westerdam yesterday and were sailing out in the afternoon. I'm guessing that when they got into the Pacific it was a wild ride. Not sure if they have the ability to stay in the inside due to Seymour Narrows tides.

Me too. I'm in Everett. We had 60+ mph winds. My house lost power for only one day, though. Outages caused loss of traffic lights here, and what with tree branches all over the streets and no traffic lights, driving was a nightmare! I was also really concerned about the ships departing the Port of Seattle yesterday.

We fared well, a couple of branches down, the power flickered for about 2 seconds, but the rain! I thought at one point the water would wash over the curb.

It was actually a rather nice day, with wind starting in the morning and continuing most of the day.

Leaves in the road drains is the problem here, so DH got the job of clearing them all around the property after the downpour abated.

I would love to be on a ship in this weather! What a ride!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Yes, in Vancouver and area, there were 500,000 without power, though most is restored today. Crazy how some areas see little damage but the pics sure show a more dramatic story for others! The ferries will often not even leave if the seas will get too rough.

Those of us who only visit Vancouver, and don't live there, forget how densely treed the city is, I think. The pictures show terrible damage :(

A friend shared a satellite image of the storm. Let me see if I can post it here.... to me it looked like a disorganized hurricane. Frightening! I found the purple outlining of the coast and of Vancouver Island helpful.

storm.jpg.94af3c5c235e7502bc8d55c16f0c5ea2.jpg

What they say is many trees were weakened by the drought. Branches would break from the wind. Add a little water to soften the soil and the whole tree collapses.

• Power is the main concern for the weekend. Gas stations had no power in the suburbs to fill empty tanks.
  • Stanley Park closed Saturday afternoon and evening with falling trees
  • Skytrain (Expo Line) had power issues and one train was hit by a tree.
    CNm7VkdUcAAVA85.jpg

The big request now is for drivers to respect 4 ways stops in locations without power.

Word is a second stronger storm is coming Sunday night. Charge up your phones and laptops! Get your cars gassed up. May need to eat out if there is no power to cook at home.

Yes, in Vancouver and area, there were 500,000 without power, though most is restored today. Crazy how some areas see little damage but the pics sure show a more dramatic story for others! The ferries will often not even leave if the seas will get too rough.

Many areas around me will be without power until after midnight tonight. I feel very lucky! One Tim Horton's in town was the only place open last night running on an emergency back-up - drinks but no food. The other TH's were closed. It was crowded and had a "we're in this together" atmosphere.:D Everywhere else, including stores and restaurants were closed.

Many areas around me will be without power until after midnight tonight. I feel very lucky! One Tim Horton's in town was the only place open last night running on an emergency back-up - drinks but no food. The other TH's were closed. It was crowded and had a "we're in this together" atmosphere.:D Everywhere else, including stores and restaurants were closed.

Lizzie, can you hard-cook some eggs, and maybe a frozen pizza, just in case your power goes out again as they work on restoring power? (That happens here, we lose power intermittently sometimes as they work on lines....) And do you have a manual can opener? AND a thermos of hot water for coffee or ???

Lizzie, can you hard-cook some eggs, and maybe a frozen pizza, just in case your power goes out again as they work on restoring power? (That happens here, we lose power intermittently sometimes as they work on lines....) And do you have a manual can opener? AND a thermos of hot water for coffee or ???

We are well prepared, no worries there but thanks for thinking of us. We still managed to have a good dinner yesterday, using the BBQ as an oven, and a pot of water on there too. But need to stock up on more candles!

I'm so sorry to hear about this storm. I had heard heavy rain and wind but didn't think much of it as here on the East Coast, they have been talking about what was once a hurricane. I wonder if all the rain in Western Washington has helped with the fires? Maybe there is some benefit to what is otherwise a miserable circumstance.

Hope all stay safe and power is restored quickly. Best is at least the temperatures aren't in the winter freezing range. :eek:

I'm so sorry to hear about this storm. I had heard heavy rain and wind but didn't think much of it as here on the East Coast, they have been talking about what was once a hurricane. I wonder if all the rain in Western Washington has helped with the fires? Maybe there is some benefit to what is otherwise a miserable circumstance.

Hope all stay safe and power is restored quickly. Best is at least the temperatures aren't in the winter freezing range. :eek:

They are getting a bit of the rain east of the mountains, but not as much as we got here in the west. Add lightening to the mix, and hoping it won't add problems there. The fires are slowly being contained, it has been a very bad year. :( We are heading east for a few days, our hotel says things are "ok" there thank goodness.

Thanks for thinking about us out here Sail. Seems like yesterday you were concerned about your roof from tons of snow :).

Sounds like fires are slowly getting contained. We are on the Olympic Peninsula and we are still prohibited form even using charcoal in a grill. Our property backs up to the National Forest so fire is always a concern for us.

Two people killed in the storm yesterday- a 36 year old man when a tree fell on his car and a young girl that a large branch hit. Many without power and no ETA on restoration. Locals are opening up their freezers for restaurants out of power to save the food.

Strange year to be sure. Someday we will meet on a cruise and look back and laugh at all of this!

I certainly didn't visualise a falling tree from Ruth's post because of course Stanley Park isn't that close. However the navigational channel is narrow there, especially under the bridge by Stanley Park and there isn't a lot of room between the bridge pillars for a high sided ship with lots of windage to have any wiggle room. That is what I visualised from Ruth's post.

I would not have wanted to be in the channel at the height of the storm.

Thanks for thinking about us out here Sail. Seems like yesterday you were concerned about your roof from tons of snow :).

Sounds like fires are slowly getting contained. We are on the Olympic Peninsula and we are still prohibited form even using charcoal in a grill. Our property backs up to the National Forest so fire is always a concern for us.

Two people killed in the storm yesterday- a 36 year old man when a tree fell on his car and a young girl that a large branch hit. Many without power and no ETA on restoration. Locals are opening up their freezers for restaurants out of power to save the food.

Strange year to be sure. Someday we will meet on a cruise and look back and laugh at all of this!

Thanks for adding to the information. It gives us a better idea of what has and is occurring in your corner of the world. Fire is such a fright and the ones you have suffered this summer are record breaking from what we hear 'out east'.

I very much like to meet on a cruise someday and hope it happens. :)

First wine is on me. :)

We are well prepared, no worries there but thanks for thinking of us. We still managed to have a good dinner yesterday, using the BBQ as an oven, and a pot of water on there too. But need to stock up on more candles!

(bolding mine)

Read that several times, and thought "wow, there is an exceptionally calm attitude in the face of adversity, needing to stock up on more candies" :o :eek: One I cleaned my glasses, I managed to read what you actually wrote :o

Glad you are well-prepared! I need to get shopping soon to get our emergency winter supplies in.