Coin Operated laundry on Royal Caribbean Ships?

I'm glad RCCL doesn't have coin laundry machines too!! We just cruised more to get to diamond plus and now we each get the $35 bag free on 7 day or longer cruises!

I'm confused as to why you are glad they don't have coin laundry machines for those that wish to use them. :confused:

That's a bummer there's no self serve laundry. I feel like when you travel with kids, you almost need to do laundry. I did one load halfway through the cruise when we sailed carnival last year. At least we are driving to the port this year, so I can pack more stuff.

Hers a guess as to why Royal does not have them. $$$I haven't seen the size of these facilities but if they took up the space of even 1 cabin per deck X 7 passenger decks X $1500 revenue per cabin is $10,500 per week long cruise or over $500,000 per year per ship in revenue they would be losing.

I can't see them making that much in the $1 or $2 they would be charging.

While it would be a convenience for many, their ships are sailing full so there is no need to offer it as its not hurting them competitively.

Funny, was going type same thing. Space laundry rooms would take up equals lost revenue! Easy to understand

Who wants to do laundry while on a cruise??? SMH... Not me. If I needed something done, I'd send it out... I'm not going to miss things that are going on waiting on laundry to wash and dry!

LIke you are out & about 24/7.

There is plenty of downtime to do laundry if needed.

Trust me, it is not below anyone on this site.

LIke you are out & about 24/7.

There is plenty of downtime to do laundry if needed.

Trust me, it is not below anyone on this site.

No-- I'm not out 24/7, but laundry is one thing I'm not going to do on vacation.. esp. a cruise. Do enough of it at home.

No-- I'm not out 24/7, but laundry is one thing I'm not going to do on vacation.. esp. a cruise. Do enough of it at home.

Have you ever been on a cruise longer than 7 days? I have never used the onboard laundromats on cruises less than 7 days, but they sure come in handy on cruises of the cruises of 10,11, 12, 14 days. Or 8 days land combined with 12 days cruise, yes, I used the ship self serve laundromat.

Have you ever been on a cruise longer than 7 days? I have never used the onboard laundromats on cruises less than 7 days, but they sure come in handy on cruises of the cruises of 10,11, 12, 14 days. Or 8 days land combined with 12 days cruise, yes, I used the ship self serve laundromat.

Exactly.

In fact, people here are saying adding laundry would cost RCL revenue...but I would never take a longer cruise on RCL because they dont have machines.

I did a 15 night Princess cruise with 3 days on land at each end. 21 days total in Europe. The laundry machines were ESSENTIAL.

If its a ship that ONLY does 3,4, or 7 night trips - no laundry needed. But if youre trying to sell longer packages, laundry facilities are a must.

Cannot waste an hour out of the week to have some clean clothes.

Wouldn't want to miss bingo, trivia, or cupcake decorating.

I've used the self service laundry machines on the Disney and Carnival cruise lines. The Carnival ships that I used them on don't use coins. You swipe your room key. The laundry rooms aren't on every deck and they are much smaller than a regular cabin. I wish all of the ships had them. I use carry-on luggage only when I cruise on a ship with self service laundry.

On RCL, my husband and I will have to bring larger suitcases and check them when we fly. The airline charges $25 per bag each way, so $100 extra dollars on our tickets for us to take the larger suitcases and check them versus carry-on. I prefer taking an hour out of my cruise to wash a load of clothes. I usually catch up on my laptop while my husband goes to the gym. It's not a big deal and it's only an hour.

The $35 for the laundry charge doesn't bother me that much, but I wonder how long it will take to get the clothes back and if the clothes will be in good condition. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your clothes back?

I've used the self service laundry machines on the Disney and Carnival cruise lines. The Carnival ships that I used them on don't use coins. You swipe your room key. The laundry rooms aren't on every deck and they are much smaller than a regular cabin. I wish all of the ships had them. I use carry-on luggage only when I cruise on a ship with self service laundry.

On RCL, my husband and I will have to bring larger suitcases and check them when we fly. The airline charges $25 per bag each way, so $100 extra dollars on our tickets for us to take the larger suitcases and check them versus carry-on. I prefer taking an hour out of my cruise to wash a load of clothes. I usually catch up on my laptop while my husband goes to the gym. It's not a big deal and it's only an hour.

The $35 for the laundry charge doesn't bother me that much, but I wonder how long it will take to get the clothes back and if the clothes will be in good condition. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your clothes back?

We did a bag of laundry on Liberty of the Seas last year. It took two days to receive our clothes back, folded in bag.

... The $35 for the laundry charge doesn't bother me that much, but I wonder how long it will take to get the clothes back and if the clothes will be in good condition. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your clothes back?

Our experience is if we leave the bag for the stateroom attendant in the morning, we get the clothes back before 5pm the next day. If we leave the bag in the evening, then it takes two days to get the clothes back. Check with your stateroom attendant, policies might differ ship to ship.

Our experience is if we leave the bag for the stateroom attendant in the morning, we get the clothes back before 5pm the next day. If we leave the bag in the evening, then it takes two days to get the clothes back. Check with your stateroom attendant, policies might differ ship to ship.

Our bag was left in the evening, thanks for the additional information regarding turnaround.

Edited by M_BA
clarification

• 2 months later...

On Holland America the bag for laundry is made of cloth and can hold a fair amount of laundry. On Celebrity the laundry bag is made of paper and means it holds less and you need to be careful not to tear it. What kind of bag does Royal Caribbean have and how much does it hold? We are doing a 15 day land tour before joining the cruise ship and think we will make use of the laundry bag offer.

On Holland America the bag for laundry is made of cloth and can hold a fair amount of laundry. On Celebrity the laundry bag is made of paper and means it holds less and you need to be careful not to tear it. What kind of bag does Royal Caribbean have and how much does it hold? We are doing a 15 day land tour before joining the cruise ship and think we will make use of the laundry bag offer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34331368&postcount=1

Seriously, what is the purpose of commenting how they would never do laundry, etc. We, too, like to bring carry on luggage whenever possible and do laundry as needed.

Carnival, Disney et al do provide this option and we like it. It's our money/time, not anyone else's. It is my vacation, that usually means traveling light and coming home with clean clothes. Would love for people to stay in their lane. It was a simple question by the OP.