How do you carry off the ship necessities?

dorisdvu

I looking for a something to carry various items when I'm off the ship that is lightweight and not bulky. The items that I will be carrying will be passport, cash, phone, toilet seat covers, toilet paper, wipes, bug spray etc. I would also like to possibly carry bottled water, but unless I use a tumbler that I can put ice in, the water would not be cold and pretty much useless when you're hot and thirsty. Any suggestions?

DO NOT take your passport off the ship! This is the top item for thieves- they get a bundle for them. Leave it in your safe. Just make sure you are back on board an hour or so before you must be. Put things like wipes, toilet paper (not a role), seat coves etc. in Zip Lock bags. Then they won't take up much space.

We have a beach bag, given to us by Carnival, we use when we get off the ship. We have towels, my digital camera and a thermos with ice water. Some cash goes in a pocket with driver's license a & SS card. I leave my phone in our safe as I take pictures With my camera or a throw-a-way camera.

You should be able to get a canvas bag to hold your stuff in a Wal-Mart, K-Mart or any beach store.

Perhaps you need to rethink your carry-off list in terms of your destination. DW and I have traveled all over the world (more then 100 countries) and seldom take more things then we can put in a small backpack. Certainly, we seldom carry our Passports (unless it is required,,,,such as in Russia) but keep them securely locked in our cabin (or hotel) safe. Bottled water may or may not be needed, depending on your location. For example, we would never carry water in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (our winter home) since you can buy water everywhere (for less then the cost on the ship) and it will be cold. On the other hand, if we were hiking around Tunesia we would have a bottle of water....which actually works (to prevent thirst) even if it is warm.

As to phones, this is a real issue. Decent cell phones are very expensive and do get stolen. And keep in mind that depending on your service provider a phone might not even work. We tend to not take our phone if we plan on going to the beach, but otherwise, it is in my pocket. And even at a beach, I can put my phone in our waterproof fanny pack (that stays around my waste) that protects the contents to at least 100 feet deep (I use this when SCUBA diving or snorkeling).

Hank

You really don't need a "special" tote! If we are doing a beachy thing, I carry a medium size tote for sunscreen, towels, book...and our personal things can go in there, too.

If we are just touring (no water activities), I just take my purse! I don't feel the need for toilet seat covers...(you won't catch anything thru the back of your thighs...that's all that touches the seat!!!) and I always have tissues wherever I go....do don't need TP! I guess the extent of sanitary stuff (wipes, disinfectant, etc) will depend where you're going!

I looking for a something to carry various items when I'm off the ship that is lightweight and not bulky. The items that I will be carrying will be passport, cash, phone, toilet seat covers, toilet paper, wipes, bug spray etc. I would also like to possibly carry bottled water, but unless I use a tumbler that I can put ice in, the water would not be cold and pretty much useless when you're hot and thirsty. Any suggestions?

Unless you are in one of the few countries that require it, why would you ever take your passport off a ship??? Ask any crew member if they take their passport off the ship and they'll all say "no." The best location for your passport while on a cruise is in the possession of the ship's purser. Second best place is your cabin's safe. If you ever think you're going to miss the ship departure, just call the port agent (listed in ship handouts) ASAP and your passport will be retrieved.

Carrying TP is a smart idea- particularly in many countries where it is seldom readily available. A worthwhile tip to remember if you are in various parts of Asia, is to seek out the handicapped bathroom stalls, which are often fitted with western toilets rather than the infamous "hole in the ground."

For a carrying case, avoid backpacks if at all possible, if for no other reason than bumping them into other folks. Also, a pickpockets razor blade across the bottom will quickly relieve you of at least some of your stuff in a crowd.

Pacsafe makes all sorts of bags that are Kevlar reinforced (strap and bag). For money/credit card and phone, inside-the-pants belt hung sleeves are helpful. Regular pockets (even in the front) are definitely not a good idea for a wallet - due to those pesky razor blades (watch out for that swarm of kids with bandaged fingers concealing the razor blades).

Yes, even tepid water is useful when you're hot and thirsty -- probably better at quenching your thirst than ice cold water, actually.

Regardless, I generally take my cross-body camera bag, which has enough room for my camera and assorted other things (wallet, phone, sunglasses, etc). I use a knapsack if I've got more walking/hiking to do, because it's better for my back and shoulders, but it's not as good for access to my camera (and not as secure against pickpockets).

If those are the only items you want to carry, you don't need anything special - I've had my eye on this one from LL Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85743?feat=845-GN3&page=bean-s-messenger-bag-medium), because I have bought other travel items from them and they are very good quality.

A partner!

Pete

My husband's carry-on is a backpack. We use that for port excursions. We carry bottled water but if we want cold water we buy it in port. Otherwise we drink the tepid water in our water bottle.

We found that all we needed for our excursions was a simple string backpack for sunblock/towels and my FLIPBELT (or a knockoff) I have a waterproof cellphone so I carry that in my flipbelt along with my emergency medicine, cash and drivers license in ziplock bags tucked into my belt. Best 20 bucks spent in a LONG time. My husband tends to tuck stuff into his cargo shorts.

Bring a reusable water bottle with a wide mouth so that you can fill it with ice rather than water before you get off the ship. Should stay cold for a lot longer. And, of course, for sanitary reasons, please use a glass to transfer the ice to the bottle. We usually use small napsacks or a drawstring bag in port. Have not taken our passports out of our cabin safe in 13 cruises, but do take our drivers' licenses to show photo ID to get back on the ship.

Edited by h-sar

Please do not flame me.....I am just giving my humble opinion....but, why in the world would anyone step foot on a foreign soil without taking their passports with them?

We always have our passports with us, however, we are very discreet and they are on our person.....not in a purse, backpack, or fanny pack, which can be like a beacon of light saying, "Everything of value is in here!"

God forbid that something were to happen while off the ship and you were to miss the ship.....try to fly from one foreign country to another without your passport.:eek: No, a copy of your passport will not do for flying!!

You can get another passport while in a foreign country, but if it is on a weekend be prepared to spend at least a couple of nights in a hotel until the consulate/office opens during the week.

We have traveled extensively and the one rule of thumb we have always adhered to was always, always have our passports on us.....that is what they are for!!

Thanks for reading.....did not mean to hijack the op thread!!!

Please do not flame me.....I am just giving my humble opinion....but, why in the world would anyone step foot on a foreign soil without taking their passports with them?

We always have our passports with us, however, we are very discreet and they are on our person.....not in a purse, backpack, or fanny pack, which can be like a beacon of light saying, "Everything of value is in here!"

God forbid that something were to happen while off the ship and you were to miss the ship.....try to fly from one foreign country to another without your passport.:eek: No, a copy of your passport will not do for flying!!

You can get another passport while in a foreign country, but if it is on a weekend be prepared to spend at least a couple of nights in a hotel until the consulate/office opens during the week.

We have traveled extensively and the one rule of thumb we have always adhered to was always, always have our passports on us.....that is what they are for!!

Not flaming you but, no seasoned international business traveler or travel industry worker (like a cruise ship crew member) would ever carry a passport while "out on the town."

As for missing the ship, that's why you have the port agent's phone number given to you. Call and they'll make arrangements for your passport to come ashore.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

No offence taken and no flaming intended :)

Multiple sources on these boards have stated, some with personal experience, that when one misses the ship, the officials will go into the cabins, look for the passports in the safe, and pass them along to the port authorities to be turned over to the passengers. But, as always, each individual should do whatever makes them the most comfortable, whether it be taking their passport securely ashore or leaving it in their cabin as we do. Happy sailings!

Flatbush Flyer.....my question would then be how could you get your passport from the ship to you on land when the ship has sailed?

After 'All Aboard' your name will be announced several times over the PA system. If you do not answer the page, security will collect your passport from your cabin and give it to the Port Agent. The Port Agent will be waiting for you on the pier. It's their job to set you on your way to the next port.

We store our passports and meds in a gallon ziplock bag in the safe. Very easy for them to grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Flatbush Flyer.....my question would then be how could you get your passport from the ship to you on land when the ship has sailed?

Security goes into your safe, gets the passports and gives them to the local port agent.

Also, some cruise lines take, and keep, all passports for the duration of the cruise. So if the cruise line knows you don't need your passport ashore, that should be all you need to know.

I know far too many people who've had their passports stolen from cruise ship passengers. In my 99 cruises, the only time I've taken my passport ashore is when the country requires it. And if you don't miss the ship, there's no need to worry about your passport.

After 'All Aboard' your name will be announced several times over the PA system. If you do not answer the page, security will collect your passport from your cabin and give it to the Port Agent. The Port Agent will be waiting for you on the pier. It's their job to set you on your way to the next port.

We store our passports and meds in a gallon ziplock bag in the safe. Very easy for them to grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good suggestion, Sadie, about storing important meds together with the passports in the safe (should they need to be retrieved by ship officials.) Will definitely keep it in mind for the future should I be carrying meds.